Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

No Such Thing posted:

i can vouch for hungry cat picross, the picross mechanics are a little different from normal, but its a good game to play while you poo poo.

It's one of my prime shitter games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

This is cool, just the kind of thing I've been looking for

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

What's a telltard

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

elf help book posted:

i really love alcazar cuz its a simple puzzle idea i dont think ive seen before, thats also super well suited to tablet play. its something you could play with pencil and paper, but you also just draw simple giant lines and want to erase and redraw a lot, touch is a great fit

it's cool, thx again for the recommend. I have been playing it a lot on my phone

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Welcome to imp zone control volume, happy posting :cheerdoge:

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

been playing the witness since i picked it up in the humble bundle last week and it is really good

ArfJason posted:

i mentioned it in games you just beat thread but i just got done with The Talos Principle.

As a puzzle game its alright, some of the procedures to solve puzzles are reused (i can't count how many times I've done the 2 jammer 1 door tango), and sometimes it does some really clever stuff. Nothing out of this world but it's really good, and that's something to be celebrated.

The things that aren't puzzle though I thought were really really good, and made for one of the most depressing games ive played, but not because they make it sad and bleak and stuff, but because it talks about topics and questions that dont really have answers. There's nothing really new here, anyone who has ever wondered about mortality and humanity will have gotten to the same place at some point, but slowly piecing together the fate of humanity and actually reading all the stuff people were writing as the world was ending really hit me hard for some reason. thinking about the world ending isn't new either, but diving through an archive of the kind of things people would say when faced with The End, both the meaningful and the mundane, is really melancholic. I recommend to anyone who hasn't given it a chance and has it sitting on their backlog to give it a shot. it's not portal levels of novelty, and it's not groundbreaking philosophy either, but both combined make it a really unique and memorable game.

i agree with this. the writing really got to me in this game somehow, not just the premise but the philosophical questions that arise from your conversations with the library program. however I didnt find it depressing at all, in fact i found the narrative and the ending quite uplifting and optimistic despite how dark the story is. in addition to that there was also how clever and funny the game was at times, with everything put together it was a very powerfully emotional game for me

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

ArfJason posted:

sry everyone for the big pretentious wall of aids words and spoiler text i like game

thats exactly the poo poo that got to me too. and yeah its hard to put a positive spin on humanity going extinct and all of its collective history, art and memories fading into inevitable non existence because of entropy but on the other hand the technology created by humans are still alive, in the very real sense of being smart enough to replicate themselves, and they appreciate literature, art and games in the same way that humans always did, and might even pull things off better than their creators with regards to not destroying the world or themselves

there was one of the alexandra recordings that talked about her visit to pompeii and how hopeless she felt that the living city had been destroyed along with everyone's dreams and aspirations, but her dad commented that he thought the city was still alive because of all the people walking down its streets appreciating what had happened there. i think that was pretty much the central theme of the game with regards to the post-apocalyptic storyline, as the robots moving through the game world are a reflection of alexandra and her dad and all the tourists walking through the ruins of pompeii

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

in other news the Witness is so good. i feel like these puzzles are breaking my brain up and then putting it back together in new and different ways

i found the first piece of one of the environmental puzzles in the quarry by accident and it blew my loving mind, lol

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

im really afraid that i will have to use a guide to finish up all the environmental puzzles. i can see some of them but i just cant figure them out. sometimes when i see patterns i wonder if its part of a puzzle or if it's just this game loving with me, im going crazy

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

what was your first? mine was looking up under the elevator after the pyramid zone

mine was the quarry where the light coming in the windows forms a puzzle on the floor

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the Witness today, I cheated on a couple of the puzzles near the end that had the crazy prismatic color cycling because it was literally making my eyes hurt trying to look at them

The last few sets of puzzles were really cool. near the middle of the end zone I was really thinking there were too many puzzles but it wasnt that bad. They were challenging and they used the old mechanics in cool ways. Anyway The Witness was good, I recommend it

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

....you're right! I did figure it out! Man, I feel great for solving it. Thanks! :D

:yeah:

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

stephen's sausage roll is too hard for me. im a puzzle games retard

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

turns out I just needed some time to get a feel for the game. I'll have to pick up ECT when I get the chance, this is some good puzzling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I hd a dream about Silicon Zeroes last night where I was playing the game, but it wasn't on a computer, it was in a notepad and I had to draw all the parts with permanent marker

• Locked thread