Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

it's really good even hough i got stuck on a puzzle in the volcano like a year ago and haven't played it since oops

same, i think i got stuck in those dark caves.
it's a really good mix of metroidvania and puzzle, everyone should try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah me too .

Also may I submit Snakebird

Is it fascism yet posted:

Snakeburd is Nice. It Lacks a difficulty curve but the Puzzles are top Tier

snakebird is some really tough poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
realMyst though i heard they updated it again with a better version of realmyst

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
secretely hoping for close to a decade now that they make a realRiven

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Discount Viscount posted:

Chu Chu Rocket, especially the GBA version with a shitload of user levels from SegaNet included. I am nowhere near done with it.

i had been channeling my ki to make sega realize that chu chu rocket could thrive on phones if you gave it a level editor and multiplyer for about 5 years
that wish got halfway granted

for real though chu chu rocket on the phone has the seganet stages and is the loving best

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Rodents revenge was cool.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Also I remember the concept of alcazar being a one-off puzzle in a lot of those variety puzzle magazines, it was called brickpath or something and it was one of my favorite puzzles so Im definitely picking that game up

elf help book posted:

I used to buy the big packs of back issues of those magazines lol

oh my god you have no idea how much i love those

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i mentioned it in games you just beat thread but i just got done with The Talos Principle.

As a puzzle game its alright, some of the procedures to solve puzzles are reused (i can't count how many times I've done the 2 jammer 1 door tango), and sometimes it does some really clever stuff. Nothing out of this world but it's really good, and that's something to be celebrated.

The things that aren't puzzle though I thought were really really good, and made for one of the most depressing games ive played, but not because they make it sad and bleak and stuff, but because it talks about topics and questions that dont really have answers. There's nothing really new here, anyone who has ever wondered about mortality and humanity will have gotten to the same place at some point, but slowly piecing together the fate of humanity and actually reading all the stuff people were writing as the world was ending really hit me hard for some reason. thinking about the world ending isn't new either, but diving through an archive of the kind of things people would say when faced with The End, both the meaningful and the mundane, is really melancholic. I recommend to anyone who hasn't given it a chance and has it sitting on their backlog to give it a shot. it's not portal levels of novelty, and it's not groundbreaking philosophy either, but both combined make it a really unique and memorable game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

talos has some of the best writing in any game i've played. the plot outline was already set in stone before the writers got there, and it really shows in some places, but i'm still very fond of it.

what did you think of the debating with the devil section in world 3?

also, did you do the bonus stars?

yeah i finished with 11, and after blazing through the campaign ive dedicated most of today to finding the stars and the additional hidden stuff, I'm already done with the first 2 worlds in terms of stars and star puzzles, and I think I have like 4 left on the last world. So far I've built the gnaar statue and found pink floyd. As for stuff I've found that I've yet to discover what exactly they mean or what to do with them are a comm transceiver on a cliff talking about the multiple questions of the sphynx, a crowbar, and a telescope thing on the egypt stages. Oh and what I assume is a shoutout to Papers Please. I've seen and done so many things today that I'm likely forgetting stuff-

with regards to the terminals in world 3 I noticed he gave me a choice of striking a deal. Since I imagined that poo poo was pivotal for something, I restored a save before it and haven't really talked to him since then. I want to finish all the content before locking myself to any alternate ending or whatever. I felt the evaluation and how it follows your thoughts through several parts of the game was pretty spot on, but it could be those kinds of tricks where the descriptions are so vague that they fit everyone (ie: you feel you could really excel if you put your mind to it, that kind of stuff). In fact I felt really cornered with some of his arguments and that felt really cool, but i imagine since philosophy is so abstract that you can have a convincing counterargument to any school of thinking or line of thought, and i wonder if its as contrarian and all his arguments are as solid should you choose different dialogue options.

extremely steampunk posted:

i agree with this. the writing really got to me in this game somehow, not just the premise but the philosophical questions that arise from your conversations with the library program. however I didnt find it depressing at all, in fact i found the narrative and the ending quite uplifting and optimistic despite how dark the story is. in addition to that there was also how clever and funny the game was at times, with everything put together it was a very powerfully emotional game for me

yeah, i feel that's what they were going with it and for me it gets there sometimes, like when you hear the scientist woman's dying words as she still believes living was worth it, but then I remember the messages, the guys who asked people not to take their suicides personally, the chat room that has a guy going "FIRST" then when the internet finally dies he goes "LAST", the fact that she never got to see her family despite reassuring them, that one blog where the author reconciles with their family for one last night together. It's all heavy poo poo, and one has to come to terms with their death and the death of humanity, but its still really heavy to have to *read* what others say when faced with such death. And also the fact that the archive of humanity is failing and getting corrupted. It's all inevitable, but imo it just makes everything that much sadder. Maybe bittersweet is the word for it? gently caress if i know im a fuckin retard who fails at piecing together tetris blocks to put the pew pew laser on the floaty fan

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sry everyone for the big pretentious wall of aids words and spoiler text i like game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Finished Talos 100%

I ended up taking milton and imo that made for a better ending, even if the cinematic literally didn't change except for that little ascii at the end. Also, good god this game is jam packed with easter eggs. Found the developer island, found the cat, saw a cool qr code grafitti by falling on a specific place on the tower, and I imagine I must have missed dozens.

Anyway, this game is really really good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
honestly im glad he moved on from dexters lab and made samurai jack (which is coming back)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also i was unable to play more than like 20 minutes of the witness at a time because the isladn would only load chunks that were nearby on start and you cant walk on unloaded terrain so if i strayed too far from wherever i started id be stopped dead by the void

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

I just bought English Country Tune (idk how much it is on PC but it's a dollar on phones) and holy poo poo this is a good puzzle game. Starts out as some simple sokoban stuff but keeps revealing layers and layers of rules and reveals itself to be a lot more complicated. Makes me feel like a retard tho lol

edit:

ect is the loving poo poo

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's made by the same guy who made Stephen's Sausage Roll.

whoah increpare made SSR? now i really want it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
english country tune is so good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

u got mares in yr house posted:

Just wanted to bring this game to the attention of the thread. Archaica is a light beam reflecting and bending type of game like Chromatron(if anyone still even remembers this) and it's incredibly pretty and well polished. Can't comment on the fairness and difficulty of the puzzles since I'm only about 10 levels in, but they seemed to ramp up from simple to devious really quick. I've been really enjoying it so far though.

id be willing to try it but man, 13 bucks

BTW if you have brain aids like me and like shapes and gay poo poo like geometry, absolutely give this game a try

http://www.euclidea.xyz/

its completely free on pc, and on phone you can unlock all stages for like 1,15$, otherwise to progress you have to get every star in a level pack which is goddamn ridiculous but possible.
It's super loving difficult, because you can't just guesstimate positions, no matter how close, you have to like prove them with shapes and mathematical principles and its really really cool but also really really hard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Apologies, i will not buy it until its 5 bucks on a sale because argentina. Sry, it looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/919980425174401024

Zachtronics is putting out a new game in a few days

oh my god

the music sounds so spacechem too im pumped

• Locked thread