Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
mildly disappointed by the ending but i was warned there wwasn't going to be anything super revelatory so i still thought it was pretty win. jonathan blow is a smart guy and i hope his next game is this good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Talos is interesting in that even though its very similar the level flow feels completely the opposite. The Witness has you getting crushed by indecipherable puzzles in the beginning and crushing insane challenges at the end like it's nothing because you've mastered the mechanics. Talos starts you very simple and easily but the puzzles are ridiculous and intricate by the end. They're both good puzzle games but they have very different feels.

well the witness has started a puzzle game fire in my heart so im gonna cop talos when i get paid and pwn it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

skull wall posted:

just got the good Epic ending of Talos actually, I enjoyed the Wetness's puzzles a little more overall, but Talos has a story/narrative thing and it's actually cool.

Talos also doesn't take as long to finish unless you're going for 100%, but def check it out.

really liking this play on words wrt the witness. deffo showing this post to the boys at work

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

yeah definitely reach that one because it mirrored my RL experience after playing. there's an easier/faster way to find it tho if you start a new save file and pay close attention at the beginning and apply what you know now

i already did this

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

nice. did you do the In The Hall Of The Mountain King area? if so then you beat as much as the game as i did, going for 100% seems loving crazy . also did you find the in-game map/progress tracker? it's the pond near the town, stuff appears in it as you discover things in-game correlating with their positions on the island

if your talking about the challenge cave no i didnt. i saw it while doing the second ending but i didnt find how to get down to it and i read that its timed and frustrating and it sounds like something i dont want to do. and no i did not find the tracker, thats bad rear end

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Aston posted:

reviving this to say wow the witness. it's amazing

:yeah:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I stopped playing in the area with making the bridges in the treetops because the puzzles were too hard

That was one of my favorite areas. Did you figure out (really mild puzzle spoilers) the thing where you have to solve the puzzles a certain way to make the bridges rotate in order to progress ?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

elf help book posted:

ive been playing the witness less than an hour and i already jumped out my chair laughing about a puzzle

Why were you laughing ... ?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

elf help book posted:

a good "you rear end in a top hat" laugh

i really like that feel

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

I solved it by changing the color settings on my TV and i'm still not sure if that was cheating lol

The last puzzle before activating the laser @ Greenhouse I was stuck on for probably 10 hours total over the course of a couple weeks. Solving it was the best puzzle game feel I ever had.. Witness ftw

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Aston posted:

According to steam I've played 20 hours of the witness since I got it on Thursday. It's one of the best games of all time.

that's a bold claim but i would definitely say it's my favorite puzzle game i ever played .

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

it pisses me off when sections have puzzles that deactivate when u do an incorrect solution. i mean i get the design reason to prevent brute forcing shiz but it was obnoxious a lot

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

extremely steampunk posted:

in other news the Witness is so good. i feel like these puzzles are breaking my brain up and then putting it back together in new and different ways

i found the first piece of one of the environmental puzzles in the quarry by accident and it blew my loving mind, lol

i love it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Finding an environmental puzzle for the first time made me say ohhh what the gently caress thats sick out loud.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plank Walker posted:

what was your first? mine was looking up under the elevator after the pyramid zone

the big one u can see from a tower in the town

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

symbolic posted:

the greenhouse elevator gave me a migraine

That part about drove me full prodromal. Good game

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

it was really easy for me... basically trivial. guess you guys just aren't very good at games, huh?

You're making that up bitch. You looked up a guide and cried to your mommy.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I did the greenhouse nearly first thing and kinda stumbled through it without understanding it. Like I assumed that the elevator was using some sort of pattern and just guessed the right things to go up. Looking back I was pretty lucky.

This is similar to my experience. That was top 3 hardest zones for me

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

i got stuck on the second puzzle in the greenhouse for ages and left it nearly until last, but after i beat that, everything clicked and it was clear sailing for the rest of the area. sometimes that's just the way the apple crumbles!

i played a lot of the game with a friend and we combined our brains to solve puzzles and stuff which was completely epic. and when we figured out what was going on in there and finally solved the puzzle we were stuck on, which one i dont remember, we wooted heavily and got told to keep it down in there.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am NOT happy about the audio puzzles in the Witness! :mad:

i completely skipped the bamboo forest zone because despite 30 minutes wandering around looking for the first panel i absolutely could not find it. only zone i didnt finish, and i probably never will

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i just couldn't find it. maybe i missed something obvious but eventually i gave up and decided to go find other zones and by the time i finished the game i forgot about it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I stopped playing the witness after like 2 hours because I didn't like it.

Well, that's a shame. But at the same time trying to force your way through a game like that sounds like hell so I'm happy you no longer have that weight upon your shoulders despite how epic the weight is

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

Yeah...the reason I didn't like it really is because it felt like a puzzle game about learning rules. Once you learned the rules, the game itself was over and then you moved on. Contrasted with something like Picross, where the rules are known and simple, and it's a structure for repeatable actions and designed. I appreciate that there can be joy in learning rules like that but to me it felt like playing 15 different dark souls tutorial zones at once without a game behind it.

This is insightful and valid criticism. But I still love the Witness.. can't help it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I do like that the game has a FMV of that scene in nostalghia where that guy carries a candle back and forth across an empty pool for 20 minutes to own everyone who found it

despite seeing a video of that part online, not the actual scene mind you, but a youtube vid of someone watching it while in game, i still sat through the whole scene watching. art

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

You should watch the movie it came from its pretty good and also the worst Tarkovsky movie so everything else will be uphill for you

I watched Stalker a few months ago and it was one of the most mesmerizing & interesting films I've ever seen so I plan on watching the rest Tarkovsky at some point or another. Solaris is next up I know that scene comes from nhostalgia(spelling) but are there any you think I should peep before the otheres. Thank you

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

He didn't make many movies because he took years to make movies and then died young so watch everything IMO.

badass. god rest his soul

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

ArfJason posted:

honestly im glad he moved on from dexters lab and made samurai jack (which is coming back)

samurai jack 1 episode already premiered. it was really cool and funny. i don't remember much comedy from the original series but this one has funny parts and i lolled.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Stalker is a beautiful film. I'd gush and type lots of words abotu it in here if it was a puzzle game :D which to be clear it is not -- although it will leave you thonking...

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

emoji posted:

The greenhouse was easy but I found the small one in the town first which imo was much easier to see what was going on, provided you know Logic.

I know logic. Prolly why I liked the game so drat much lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

Did u find the puzzle associated with it? there's a line you can draw inside the video but the start of the line is only visible at the beginning of the clip and the end of it is only visible in the last few seconds so u have to watch the entire thing

i didn't know this.. that's loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

woozy pawsies posted:

heh... the witness..

Oh poo poo what's up bro. Heard you were pretty good at that game

• Locked thread