Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

yeah and it should be called The DROD Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Maybe I'll finally play DROD. It's old right? Is there a GOG version?

they are on gog
https://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3
I'd recommend skipping to 2, journey to rooted hold

they are gonna put out steam versions (this year?) that just sells all 5 games in the newest engine, which would probably be best

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

they have demos on their site and all user made content is playable for free inside of the demo version i think, and the original game is up for free as "architects edition" as well as a free flash version

http://www.caravelgames.com/Articles/Games.html

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Oh yeah, for anyone who has 3DS and wants a good puzzler, Box Boy and Box Box Boy are perfect. The sequel is great because it's basically a level pack, picks up exactly where the first one ended with the mechanics and then just gives you a bunch more levels. Highly recommended

Also on 3ds. The pushmo games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

skull wall posted:

Do not do this. 2 is way loving harder than 1

yeah, it has puzzles

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I ended up buying a Picross e instead of paying for Pokemon Picross, but I kinda like that the Pokemon and mission mechanic is just encouraging you to cheat in different ways. I've played enough Picross that having it mixed up in little ways like that is fun.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Any phone puzzle game recommendations?

alcazar
http://www.theincrediblecompany.com/alcazar-1/

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Is it fascism yet posted:

goferchan you play way too many phone games

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i get tried of being told the 90s adventure game format is broken and needs to be fixed

i also hate when old guys like scahfer or ron gilbert put up a kickstarter and say theyre gonna bring those games back like they ever left gently caress off

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lets drag that old man murray article back up again this is interesting

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Don't Germans love point and click adventure games

apparently one of the reasons another lucasarts indiana jones game wasnt made was because they planned it all out with nazis and then suddenly realized they couldnt sell it in germany lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i cant stop playing 3d picross 2

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im kinda astounded by how good picross 3d 2 is. i enjoyed the first game a good bit, but the mechanics meant solving the puzzles could be pretty rote, once you learned how. they obviously saw that as well and completely reworked the mechanics to make the game much more engaging

they could have easily made just a new level pack, and it would have sold fine. this is so great

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

standing on a chair yelling nintendo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i think 2 has a wonderful difficulty curve, and the kinda sorta open design of 4 is offputting and confusing and doesnt let them build up the concepts well

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im glad they added maps you can just click icons on in 5, because it lets them do the open level structure they wanted in 3 and 4 without having the player to walk through a million giant empty rooms

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I did like 100 puzzles in Picross e and then caved and bought 3D 2. This game is incredible and it looks like there's hundreds of puzzles in this thing

hell yeah

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Hmmm... Twilight Princess Picross is available until October 1 and I only have 890 platinum nintendo points. Going to be cutting it close.

you can get like 100 every week just from visiting nintendos site, visiting the eshop, visiting the miiverse, and visiting mynintendo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I assume 20 is the max score you can get per puzzle here?

no its actually dependent on the puzzle itself, just care about which medal you get

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah soon after I posted that I encountered some 50s. It seems odd that you can get the top medal with faults but hey, who am I to judge. I reset if I get any faults though

oh ive never completed a puzzle after a fault thats lame. the original game had a simple three star system i liked better, the score thing is fuzzy

three stars per puzzle in picross 3d 1: beat the puzzle, beat with no faults, beat in under an hour

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i understand it more for picross 3d but yea i dont want to be told ive made a mistake in normal picross, i want to realize later oh poo poo nothing fits where did i gently caress up

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah being told Ive made a mistake initially put me in a bad habit and narrowing down a few options and then just guessing to move the puzzle along.

GUESSING?!?!?!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Using the navigation (blue numbers) feature is also highly illegal.

i thought that was cute as a pokemons power but then i got a picross e game and was shocked it was a thing you could just turn on

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

pokemon are too dumb to solve puzzles and use their powers to cheat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Midna gives you picross tips in TPicross. Also you can turn off the mistake notifications in every puzzle so I'm really glad I got this. The micross in this one looks huge.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

The 20x15s in Picross e6 have been too easy. They need to make a full priced game with 25x20s again.

do some of the giant color puzzles here http://webpbn.com/

I hope someone teaches Nintendo about color picross because it's really fun

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I got a green crown in Picross 3D 2 (?)

i just got my second one and i think its just a total points threshold, i think i got it for passing 6000 points

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5TbHcK_qvE

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i played the room for my iphone, and its basically that childrens game where you have to put the round keg in the round hole,and the square peg in the square hole, etc. phone games are retarded.

its enjoyable to play around with, even if simple as a puzzle

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i really love alcazar cuz its a simple puzzle idea i dont think ive seen before, thats also super well suited to tablet play. its something you could play with pencil and paper, but you also just draw simple giant lines and want to erase and redraw a lot, touch is a great fit

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I used to buy the big packs of back issues of those magazines lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I remember insisting the penny press books were better than the dell books but i dont remember why and they're 1 company now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i just gor done playing case 4 in the 1st aa game and HOLY poo poo this is epic as gently caress. its the one with the parrot and von karma, in case you dont remember

they are good games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

DROD is on steam finally. jump in nonbelievers!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314330/

This is the easy one for noobs, so check it out. I think all the other games will just be dlc for it anyway. please play drod!!!

"I'm planning to release KDD, JtRH, TCB and the SmS holds, one or two every few weeks over the next few months."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i have no idea how big that game is and thats kinda scary

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I've played so much 3D though that sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. Like for example if you see something like

🔸🔸🔷🔸

and the line is 1 blue and a 2 Orange circle, 9 times out 10 it's going to be

🔶🔷🔶

so I have been trained to just think in this pattern even if I shouldn't know that yet based on how far I've gotten into the puzzle

ive been thinking it could be cool to blindly work on one layer at a time without being able to see the full shape

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the marking in 3d-2 is such a smart feature

in 3d-1 it didnt have that, but you could view the layers in all 3 dimentions. marking essentially allows you to interact with the 3rd dimension without that. which is great because that made solving puzzles in 3d-1 rather rote, go through the x layers, go through the y layers, go through the z layers, repeat forever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

wtf

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

after any of yall beat the witness, check out the interview with jon blow about the game on giant bomb, its pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

when the ps4 lauched, blow did a live stream playing all the ps+ games he got free for it, and when he got to Contrast he tried really hard to be nice about it and just said like "making games is hard..."

• Locked thread