Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I enjoy watching you trivialize these games and SJ is rather infamous for being tedious and unforgiving, so this should be fun. It's a shame that the second half of the game drops the ball, the first half has a great atmosphere to it and some of the mechanics are neat. That does not include most of the combat system, unfortunately, so the exploration mechanics have to carry the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Palace of Pleasure

So, this is clearly that "palace" that Itsumade mentioned before. Fortunately for us, there's a Macabre to talk to just next to the Terminal.

...And the game tells us he's a Macabre instead of a non-specific Demon?

Welcome to the palace of Master Mitra, lover of all the worldly pleasures!
Enjoy these stunning halls filled with uninhibited conversation and peals of laughter.
And if you're very lucky, you may witness a grand dance...
Forget your painful, humdrum life... and step onto the dance floor! Above all, enjoy yourself!
You will surely find satisfaction with a new life, a new body! All under Master Mitra's guidance!
Until then... Dance, dance, dance!

There's a pair of doors in the entrance hall, that lead to similar locations. We'll go through the right-hand side first, though.

And right off the bat, we're met with lots of damage tiles. We're going to have to carefully navigate around these.

The Fear of God

Inside the Palace, we've got plenty of new demons to deal with. First, we've just got creepy upside-down baby head spiders called Ubu to deal with. Mudo is inherently risky since if it hits Hitonari we game over on the spot.

Goblins are Goblins. Nothing of interest that we didn't already know or can't see clear as day here.

Acheri is a little more interesting. Not for her Fire weakness or Curse resistance, but her innate skills include Life Drain which is fun (and does exactly what it sounds like). Also she VERY heavily resists Poison! As in its only a 25% chance of being inflicted.

Next up is Naga, which is a bit less exciting. He's weak to Wind and resists Electricity... purely because he has Resist Elec as a skill. Remove that for some bizarre reason and he's Neutral to it.

His source has my favourite skill name in it but we'll get to that later.

Palace of Pleasure

That's all for now though, so we'll keep making our way through the palace. There's lots of damage tiles in here. I did mention that before, right?

Because while I navigated a safe path to the stairs, you can see a large swathe of the map has been ignored. Almost entirely because of damage tiles. We're not going upstairs just yet, though!

Directly opposite the stairs is a long corridor that leads to an elevator. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't work right now.

So, we'll head down the left-hand side of the first floor of the palace now. Just so you're not thinking I went crazy, this side is also riddled with damage tiles.

Thankfully, the left passage has a Heal Spot in it which is very useful! So now Hitonari can hurt himself for the sake of the map being worthwhile.

While heading out from the Heal Spot, Hitonari hit level 14 so we can take this opportunity to make some new things. Itsumade+Jack Frost+Hua Po Source for this Shan Xiao since he's weak to Fire. Normally, I wouldn't worry about patching weaknesses but when it's the only one and this makes him useful in general? No point in not doing so.

Buyin' back that Jack Frost to fuse with a Vodyanik to make a Principality. Adding Koppa Tengu's source to give more variety in her magical capabilities.

Over in the right-hand corner that mirrors the Heal Spot, you'd expect the Terminal normally. Since that's right at the entrance, instead we get a fixed Forma behind some damage tiles. Just 'cause.

Oh and, no, I really wasn't kidding about this area being riddled by damage tiles. There are so many of them! Thankfully, you can avoid every last one if you really want to.

On the second floor, we have something a bit different. We're in the middle of an open square and can examine something?

It's a message on the floor telling to meander and take longer to get somewhere? That's stupid. What's the worst that could happe--

...Oh. There are pit traps as well. I kinda despise that pit traps exist on principal just because there's no indication of where they are and generally used to confuse the poo poo out of you. Thankfully, the latter half of that doesn't apply here because of the animation and all.

That forma we could see before is right behind the hole in the floor. It gives us some new Base Forma which has a very obvious use right out the gate.

There's also a terminal on this floor, which makes sense I suppose. Aside from the sudden addition of pits to navigate around, this floor is very linear.

So linear, that we're nearly done by the time we pick up this box of Dis-Charms.

And right around the corner from there are 2 Revival Beads. Sure, they're useful I guess.

The Fear of God

Hey, a new demon turned up on this floor. Ippon-Datara we've seen and used before, and we know he's kind of a major threat in theory. There's nothing here we haven't seen before. Oh I guess I didn't mention before that his basic attack has a 5% chance to inflict Mute. But it does, so there's that I guess?

Anyway, there's also Bifrons here. He's weak to Ice and Expel and only resists Curse. You'd think he'd resist fire as well, but nope!

Skillwise, he has Maragi and nothing else... when we use one. Enemy Bifrons also have Tetraja (multi-target barrier that grants one-shot immunity to Expel and Curse) just because.

Oh and we got... the weirdest level up from that fight. I normally don't bother with level up screens because they're redundant but c'mon.

Palace of Pleasure

More important is a new level means a new demon! Principality and Harpy give us Suparna. Sticking an Itsumade source on there, which seems weird but it's the only available way to get Mega Claw (ST Medium Phys) until we reach level 22 so uh...

Oh! Just for convenience, I throw together a random Lilim for the moment. We're not going to be using her, but she's important to make all the same.

This gives us access to a new Special Fusion! Special fusions are a bit different to normal, of course. There are plenty of these things, that require a number of specific demons.

That number varies wildly from 2 to 8 depending exclusively on the end-result. Most of them are 3, or 4, demons though.

High Pixie is an unusual choice for one of these, because she's kind of not that big a deal usually.

We also need a random Melchom to make a different one, so we'll grab this one. He's also not going to be used.

But, hey, now we can make Morax sometime ever which is something I guess? He's kind of honestly better than the boss version we fought against, just with less HP and a lack of Horned Rampage. Bobasma is an ST spell that inflicts Fear. It turns out that when you use it, Fear is kind of ridiculously good and I love it.

...I'm still probably not going to use Morax for that, though.

Anyway, this is the entirety of 2F of Bootes that we currently have access to. As the Records screen will gladly spoil, there IS more to this floor, but we need to enter from somewhere else to get there...

3F starts with yet another pit trap warning.

And, well, it's hardly lying about it. Shame that these warnings aren't going to be around for very long.

Though that one dropped us into a tiny 2 square corridor that also drops us back down to the first floor. How annoying.

At least we can grab the AC Bootite forma, while en route back to the 3rd floor.

Thankfully, it's really easy to do that. We can take either path around the hole here, but the side that doesn't have damage tiles is probably the better option. Call it a hunch.

Anyway, as we get through that door...

Silence

I've been so busy today, I can't show 'em aaaaaaaaaaall around!

You don't have to do thaaaat! You look stuuuuuupid already!

After all, I'm riiiiiiight here!

Crisis

> You can't move!

I'm gonna take yoooooooooooou! To a fun, fun plaaaaaace! Hyahahaaaa!

Silence

Well, we got to skip the rest of the 3rd floor so I think we can call this an overall neutral result.

We're heeeeeeeere! Now sit there and waaaaait!

Palace of Pleasure

So, now we get to explore this one tiny room. There's an obvious door but we can't open it with our current Main Apps. Laaaaame.

Thankfully, there's a hidden door in the wall right to the north so we can probably leave whenever we want still.

Directly next to that, there's something else in the wall we can examine? That's weird and new.

Oh, we can just hear some nonspecific groaning from whatever is past that hidden door. We'll open that later, because...

Silence

There's someone in the middle of this room that has been kind enough to not interrupt our random bumbling.

Better keep a low profile, or there's no telling what they'll do to you...

Malevolence and Benevolence

It's me! Zelenin!
That's right, I was on Ship 3, the Elve...
Is the Red Sprite intact!?
Then at least one of our ships can still move...!
The Elve, unfortunately, was shipwrecked. We were attacked by demons.
Before I knew it... I was caught and brought here.

Hm? You received the signal? You came to save me...!?
Mmmm... but there's little point now that you've been caught too.
Still, it was very noble of you, barging into a demon's lair...

A Demon Summoning Program...!? You've been using such a thing in your investigations?
Oh... how awful...!
The demons here are monstrous! They've been torturing the other crewmen to death.
You must put a stop to that at once! There's no way a demon would genuinely help us humans!

...You're right. We won't find a way back to Earth without relying on demons...
It makes perfect sense, logically. But emotionally, it's... less simple.
Anyway, let's put our heads together and think of a way out of our situation.
What can we do with what we have?

Palace of Pleasure

Hmm... Good question.

Thankfully, we've got just the thing! There's a hidden door in here and we can pop that sucker right open. Let's head on ou--

You found the hidden door, didn't you!?
But I haven't been given the order to experiment on you yet!
Wait in your own cell!

And then we get kicked back through the door. Well, poo poo.

The only thing left around to check is that weird non-specific voice.

In... Inside my head! Someone! Someone's therrrrre!

Ugh... Urrgh... Kill... Kill... me... Just get it... over with... Kill me... Kill everyone...

It... It's over... It's over...! Argh... Ooh...

Ugh... Rarrrrrr... I wanna live... I wanna live... Hyahaha! Hyahahahaha!

Well, that's different from before. And totally self-contradictory! Nothing else we can do 'cept for talk to Zelenin again.

We're at the mercy of the demons.
There's nothing we can do to fight back...

Me...? Use the Demon Summoning Program...!?
Ridiculous! I could never!
You may say I might not need to use it, but it's better to have for an emergency...
But I tell you if that emergency happens, I'd sooner die!
......I'm sorry for snapping at you. It's the stress talking.

All right. I'll take it... in case of emergency.
Though I hold out hope that I won't have to use it...

> You gave Zelenin the Demon Summoning Program.

I'm sure I won't ever use it, but...
......! They're here!

Crisis

We might not be able to open the door, but someone sure can huh...

Oh, it's Bifrons. And he left the door open. And we've killed several Bifrons on the way here. That weren't alone.

Hope ya ready to die!

I only pointed that out because there are zero reasons this should happen outside of Cutscene Stupidity. It effects everyone, it seems...

Stop it! What are you doing to him!?
Shaddap and stay still!
If ya wanna live to tomorrow, if ya wanna make the pain stop, don't ya think of doin' nothin'!
Now walk! Get movin'!
Hitonari...!

Silence

We haven't exactly been in Bootes for very long, and if Antlia was any indication then we're already at the boss fight huh...? Sure, I'm okay with that.

Palace of Pleasure

So now we have control and can wander around a tiny bit. We could go into Mitra's room already or we could turn right around...

And get blocked by Bifrons. We can't kick the poo poo out of this chumpass and explore the... 7th floor... unfortunately.

There's a door leading to a room nearby but we can't open that door yet either!

In The Master's Name

Nothing else we can do in the hallway (aside from fish for end-of-sector random encounters and that's boring), so into Mitra's room we go.

Don't you dare do anything rude to Master Mitra!

Oh, Mitra is probably an intentional rename of the Roman god Mithras. I can't complain about that because it's an understandable change, given how common the unrelated Zoroastrian god Mithra is.

A good omen before our attack...
Tell me, human, what is your name? What are you called?
Hitonari Tadano.
So, you are called Hitonari. I like your honesty.
I am very interested in the strange creatures known as humans.

Such oddities... You promise love greater than the stars, but when rejected, you curse their name.
It is as if fate itself compels you to kill those you love.
Simply putting such mysterious creatures to death would be a terrible waste.
Looking at your past, you were but plains apes...
In those days, you came to us for power.
And now you have grown in number sufficient to eat the planet into ruin, as though you owned it.
What has driven you that far? If you know, I'm very eager to learn.
How have humans come to rule Earth?
By evolution.

This dialogue choice has no alignment points attached to it. So, I just went with this because it gives the best reaction.

Urgh... The human body... That is where the secret lies...?

I've tried so hard to study humans from the inside out, but...
I cannot understand, I can never comprehend... Urrrrrrrrgh!

We will change it! It will change! We will rise forth!
The world will change... Isn't that so, men!?

Humans originally worshipped and feared us.
That is why we extended our protection to the humans.
Why were those days lost...?

Master Mitra... What should we do with the contract in question?
Mmmm... It is fine. The transaction shall go on as scheduled.
...Hitonari? Do you fear us, our shape?

Why, depending on your attitude, I may well recruit you.
As I did with these men...

> Mitra looked at the crewmen in the room.
> The crewmen didn't move.

And it's not only your answer I'm after.
I put the question to all of you on board that wondrous ship.

...Wait, hang on. What?

Master Mitra knows all!

Those are the choices. Discuss amongst yourselves and return with your answer.
If you join me, realize that you won't be treated badly. In fact...

Men! Release this human!

Hear that!? I'll send you back to your ship!
Ring this when you want to come back here and we'll come for you!

Alright, you're going home! Now get walking!
...Wait. There was one more thing I would ask of you.
Hitonari. What is of greater value to a human: one's friends, or oneself?
You or your comrades? Tell me.
My friends.
Hrmhrmhrmhrm... I assumed you'd say as much.

A Frivolous Nation

You better think reeeal hard about what you're gonna say to Master Mitra!

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I already know what our answer is going to be. Nothing else to do beyond returning to the Red Sprite at this point so we'll do just that.

You're okay! Where've you been all this time!?
When we couldn't raise you on the radio, we all thought you were a goner...
Everyone was worried, man! C'mon, let's get back to the Red Sprite.

We must devise a strategy to deal with it and save the captured crewmen.

Got yourself into some crazy poo poo, huh? Be more careful next time.
Our only intelligence on the enemy's stronghold comes from Crewman Hitonari.
We have no choice but to base our strategy on this information.

Norris might be there, too... We need to get them out of there!
We will of course aim to rescue as many crewmen as possible.
However, I cannot list crewmen whose presence is unconfirmed in the official mission objectives.
For the time being, the mission objective is to rescue crewmen who have been positively identified.

Hey, cool it, Jimenez! They were probably forced into it!
I didn't say I blame 'em! It makes perfect sense to me.
I mean, if the demons are giving 'em the choice to join up...

What, so you'd work under the demons!? That's ridiculous!
I know, I know! Man, don't you know sarcasm when you hear it!?
You don't need to tell me the demons aren't on the up and up!
But you're in for hell whether you follow them or reject them... There's no right answer here.
What are we supposed to do?

A more probable outcome is that he will enslave or attack you.
There is also a danger to the life of any mediator we send.
I have a different plan.

Well... we do have systems made to infiltrate places like that, but...
Do you think we can make it in?
We will require a diversionary force supporting the infiltration team.
They will cause an uprising outside of the palace while the infilration team sneaks inside.
As far as the composition of the infiltration team...

We're counting on you, man. You're the only one for the job.
But y'know, you get caught again and you're up poo poo creek.

I am issuing a new official mission, designated "Rescue Zelenin."
I look forward to the successful completion of your mission.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prayer

Back again on the Red Sprite means we're back to talk with everyone.

What do you think they were trying to find out...?

Will it work...? We'll just have to try it and see.

But then, modern medicine relies heavily on animal experimentation.
So I can't call it totally evil... We've just switched places.
You know, humans were always the ones doing it... and now the shoe is on the other foot.

Tch... this is so frustrating...!

Well, it took long enough but we finally have enough things to make stuff in the lab! Maybe there'll be something legitimately worthwhile in this batch.

I wonder... do demons see us the way I see a new forma...?
...Brrr! I'll have to whip up some stronger equipment if we want a chance at beatin' these guys...

Are they researching the "human" academically, or... is it something else they're after?
...The demons might have a more complex scheme than we had first imagined.

We'll move onto the deck and out into Bootes again shortly, but first we have some new things to look over and maybe buy.

The Alabaster is a nice upgrade to our gun. It's not the most powerful one available nor does it technically have the best skills (that's the ??? one above it), but it can hit things twice and Wind is a good element to have easy access to.

As an added bonus, all it needs is a single Night Tail (Lilim) and Brute Fishbone (Azumi) and both can be theoretically acquired during, or even before finishing, the Signal Beacon mission at the very beginning.

In terms of armor, the Gold Vest is technically the best thing we can get right now. It's 2 points of defense over the Dark Vest and grants two resistances for only one weakness which is not exactly a common trade-off right now. Ice is a bad thing to be weak to though.

Not like it's hard to make, at least; 3 Haunt Balls (Preta) and 1 Fairy Pouch (Goblin) takes no time at all, though it does require going into the Palace to make so it's not a first entry thing.

Personally, I vastly prefer the Dark Vest in basically every single way mind. It's weakness to Elec isn't as big a deal, it grants immunity to Curse so Hitonari cannot be instantly killed* and it only requires 1 Wilder Fur (Jueyuang) and 1 Beast Hoof (Katakirauwa)? Sure it's 2 whole points of defense below the Gold Vest but it's kind of better period.

Available accessories are still thoroughly "eh". Rather than being a flat increase to HP or MP, though, they increase a single stat by 2! And this is how you can tell that Strength, not Agility, is what affects Gun damage by the way. Note that the Brawn Ring increases both Sword and Gun Attack.

Still not particularly inclined to bother with any of these things, though!

Items are mostly just new recovery stuff. Me Patra Stone is full party version of Patra Stone which would've been nicer earlier but whatever. Dis-Charm and Dis-Strain cure Charm and Strain respectively. What's Strain? MP Poison, basically. Very low worry, honestly.

Oh and we can start to get actual attack items now too. These actually use your MC's Magic stat which is a rarity and makes stocking up on them for Magic type Demonica a probably good idea. Mabufu Stones require Fairy Ice from Jack Frost, naturally; Maragi Stones require being on the higher Palace floors, so you can get them from that small area outside Mitra's room if you want.

Lastly! Remember what I said before about SJ constantly showering you with money? Yeah, it's from the Forma. They sell for a surprisingly decent amount considering how absurdly common they are and how many you will inevitably get.

I wouldn't sell most of these though. Not as a "just in case" thing, but because you can get ones that sell for at minimum 10x their value. And are guaranteed. And repeatable. Forever.

Anyway, getting ahead of myself there. We'll deal with that later. For now, we gotta speak to Blair.

You've already returned from their lair alive once...
With your skill, I'm sure you can pull it off a second time.

Nothing left on the ship, so it's out to Bootes we return!

A Frivolous Nation

First, those of us participating in the feint operation will move toward Mitra's palace.
The rest of you, stay here on standby.
Once we get to our waypoint, I'll give the signal to begin, and we'll lure the demons out.

Oh yeah, Tadano...
You got a Luxury Bell from Mitra, right?
Give it here. It'll be perfect to call the demons.

Heheheh... I already see the look on their faces.
Alright, let's move out! Hitonari, stay put until our signal!

> The strike force disappeared into the field...

Locked and loaded, man!
(B) Hitonari, as soon as we begin our part of the operation, you get moving!
Hurry into Mitra's palace while the demons have their hands full with us!
(A) On my mark, men.

Raaaaaaahhhhhh!
Let's do this! C'mon!

Here they come! Dumbasses...
Alright, Tadano, it's your show now! Good luck!

So, there's not much to do in Bootes right now. There's nothing new or different around the outside area, so we'll just skip to the palace.

Palace of Pleasure

So, this isn't just random flavour text or anything.

Macabre isn't here anymore, and he's not the only one that's missing. In fact, for the next long while random encounters inside the Palace are disabled entirely!

So we'll just skip all the way up to the 3rd floor. The invisible man from before isn't around any more either, so we can continue on up in peace.

To the immediate left of the door, on the way in, we can find a Muscle Drink for free. This restores HP by what I would hope is a probably okay amount but it also inflicts a random ailment so I've never used it.

There's nothing else over there, so we'll continue further on in. We didn't see an elevator on the 2nd floor, but there's one here. When we get it working, it'll make a nice shortcut to skip parts of the palace. For now, we can't do anything with it, so forward we go.

It doesn't take long to come to a door next to some damage tiles. We're thorough, so I'll remember the door and continue on further past the dama--

It just leads to a dead-end that doesn't even have a fixed Forma spawn. Door it is then.

The vast majority of the 3rd floor here is a giant linear corridor without much variation. Things like the pit at the start are the exception here, it seems. Following a long stretch of nothing past the door, we can grab a Bead Chain which is still a 100% HP heal to the whole party; everyone fielded in combat or everyone period out of combat.

Immediately after that, we have the stairs up. Absolutely no point at all in waiting around here so up we go!

There's an immediate Terminal and we can see stuff to our left, huh? Looks like we've made it to the weird not-jail cells we were in before.

Also there's a dead crew member next to the Terminal. That's something I guess? This dead guy we don't need to remember is here though.

Silence

Continue along the corridor, making sidesteps because why not, until we come to the door here.

Thank you for coming back for me... I really need to get out of here.
Can you open the door from the outside?

The Fear of God

> Something enveloped you!

Ah, this again.

Who's there!? What's happening!? Hitonari!?
Oh...! It's that invisible demon!

You will noooooooot be forgiven! You will noooooooot be forgiven!

You will faaaaaaace a horrible deeeeeath!

Noooooow! Experiment tiiiiiiime!

Hyahahaaaaa...!

Palace of Pleasure

We could wait around here, but we'd be unable to do much of anything. It's also really boring. There's no invisible timer here that makes a thing happen once enough time has passed.

Instead, in each corner of the room there is a dead body. We'll examine them all.

Our conclusion is that humans need something called "oxygen."

But when you think about it... he's been reborn into a form that can no longer lie.

We did a good thing! Look what a good thing we demons did!

Our conclusion is that humans need something called "blood."

But when you think about it... he's been reborn into a form that can no longer grow impatient.

Our conclusion is that humans need something called a "brain."

But when you think about it... he's been reborn into a form that can no longer feel anxiety.

Our conclusion is that humans have weak stomachs.

But when you think about it... he's been reborn into a form that can never complain again.

Only thing of note placement-wise is that by being in the corners, that last one prevents us from leaving the room at all. We don't have the Unlock required to open the normal door and we have to examine the body in the bottom-right corner. It's not a toggleable option, so we have no choice.

Anyway, let's return to the center of the room now.

Silence

Today's theme is... "Can humans live like us?"

What will happen when we strip them of their weird clothes!?

Master Mitra is very eager to find out!

Now, human: presenting our lab!

Hey Norris! We found Norris! It looks like the quest is going well!

I just... wanna have fun... Forget... everything...

> The missing crewman, Norris, is standing in front of you.

Noooooooooow! Let the experiment... beeeeeegin!

> Norris was stripped of his Demonica!

In the Master's Name

> Norris is letting out a silent scream.

So at this point we can just sit back and watch whatever happens here. Or we can not be dicks and actually try to save Norris. A difficult decision for sure.

Let's not be a dickhead, yeah?

Don't get in our way!

> You were thrown back!

Unfortunately, the not-dick route is immediately punished with flat damage. Fortunately, it's not that much and doesn't matter too much!

You will not disrupt our great experiment!

Now, devilish gentlemen... If we leave him be, this human will soon stop moving! But, but, but!

What will happen!? What will happen!?

> Crewman Norris was doused with something!

......! ...Urgh... Urggh... Urgaaaaahhhh!

The Fear of God

Oh no, Norris! You got some green on you!

...No, no, no! This isn't it! This isn't it! This isn't what Master Mitra wants at all!

...Grrrrr... Urgh... Urghrrr!? Urgh... Raaaaaaaaaaaarrrr!

> Norris attacked you!

Foul Norris

An Honor Befitting That Name

So, Norris is... well, he's really, really easy. His damage output isn't particularly threatening, he can't do much else other than "hit you" and his one point of interest is that he has no weaknesses.

Other than being weak in general.

Attack-wise, he has a decentish variation of physical stuff I guess? Rampage is probably the most dangerous purely because it's kinda random.

Stun Claw is fairly interesting, and is the only thing he has that does something other than damage. It does deal fairly okay damage and has a 35% chance to Paralyse.

Giant Slice is light damage on everyone. It also happens to be the weakest Physical skill in the game. 2nd place isn't much stronger, but everything else is leagues ahead. Good job, Norris.

That's about it. Norris doesn't last long, has relatively little health (around 650) and doesn't even give you any Macca when you're done. Poor EXP as well.

End

Silence

...Hm? Hmmmmmmm? This... What is this?

A rare forma probably. It dropped from a miniboss (pffffft) after all!

This is an unexpected result! I must give it to Master Mitra! Something unexpected has come out of this!

> The demon left...

Hey what no! That's mine! Get back here!

> You checked the Demonica certification number.

I'm pretty sure we knew that without checking the Demonica number. Call it a hunch.

Palace of Pleasure

Not much we can do in here, so we'll head on over to the adjacent room. There's nowhere else to go after all.

> You told Zelenin what you saw.

No... another comrade...
...There's nothing you could have done. If you hadn't fought back, he'd have killed you.
Besides, it sounds like he had already become a demon... You did what you had to for his sake.
A moment of silence for him...
All right, we can't wallow in self-pity forever. We need to find a way out of here.
The demons are fickle. If we take too long, we'll be the next test subjects.

We've already been everywhere in both rooms. There aren't any new hidden doors to find, but when looking to make sure we'll find something new in the bottom-right corner.

Silence

Zelenin had a new cellmate and she never told us!

Hello...

...Who are you!?
Hitonari, did you come here with anyone!?
No? Then who is this....!?
The demons are gone. I've no need for this ruse anymore. Excuse me.

Law Theme

I am the angel Mastema. I am a herald of the kingdom of light.

Completely real talk here, Mastema is awesome.

However, my powers are limited in this land ruled by evil.
...Is this another experiment? You're in league with the demons, aren't you?
All your forms are the same from a human's perspective.
I leave it to you as to whether or not to believe me.
But whatever you think of me, I swear that I am an enemy to the demons.
If you have come to fight the demons, I would like to help.
......I'd like to believe you.
Perhaps you could tell us a few things?
What's going on here? What should we do?
Once bitten, twice shy, is it?

What you should do is escape this place...
And what I should do is assist you in this.
Let us find an escape route together. I could prove useful.

Silence

We just have to walk around the room to this corner. That's it. Moving on!

Please stay back.
......? What are you doing...?

Law Theme

> Mastema put his hand on the floor.

...In His name, I cast out evil!

> Mastema stuck his hand through the floor...!

I love all the pomp and circumstance around this undercut by the immediate mental image of Mastema just digging like a dog.

But that must be painful...!
I am given hands that I might wipe away evil. I must use them here.
The demons' barrier is weak in places. This is one such spot...
Hmm... Urgh... Ha! There!

I may have dirtied my hands a bit, but it worked.
You should be able to escape. Now, let us be swift!
O-Oh... all right. Such power...
...Let's go, Hitonari...

We could sit around here and do nothing. Let's jump into the hole instead to actually get to do things.

Palace of Pleasure

> You don't see Mastema...

Still don't have any random encounters, and...

We have a small area in which we just drop into a hole to keep hitting the next floor down.

The 2nd floor's all of one step, yet again, before we hit the hole.

Law Theme

On the first floor, we run back into Mastema. And we're dropped very close to the Heal Spot.

...Ah yes, and I have a parting gift. It's something I have no use for.

The man who wore that suit had it.
It belonged to your comrade, and now it is yours.
He worked very hard to find this. Please take it...

Let us part ways here. Be safe.
U-Um...!

I... er... I wanted to show my gratitude.
But there isn't much we can do...
Our situation is shared. It is natural that we help each other.
...Good and evil are still at war in the spirit world.
So long as you recognize that demons are the enemy, I will ever be your ally.

Palace of Pleasure

Alright, back to business as usual. Gotta move over the damage tiles to get anywhere, but we have cheap healing right there so it works out.

Anyway, for no reason at all I'm taking a random Melchom and fusing it with an Apsaras to make a Shiisaa. Adding Angel to give it Media and Hama, but mainly after the War Cry since it reduces enemy attack by 2 stages and has no downsides.

Once we get back into the entrance hall...

Crisis

You'll become one of Master Mitra's puppets... Your fate is sealed!
It is unfortunate that you will become a puppet no longer able to dance, but...
I am duty-bound to put you to death!

Spirit Macabre

Okay, so Macabre is harder than Norris. For whatever that matters. He's also just a regular, normal Macabre (spoilers I guess), with boss fight immunities. So his normal weakness to Expel is an immunity here. Boring.

Since this game doesn't have Makakaja/Makanda, Taru-affecting spells increase/decrease all types of damage. It doesn't help with ID stuff like Hama/Mudo of course.

Being a normal Macabre with More HP (~775), his moveset isn't even as varied as Norris' was. I know, it's amazing. He'll normally do either a basic hit, cast Mudo or use Blight.

Blight is the only interesting one, being a Moderate Phys skill that hits everyone and has a 60% chance to inflict Poison.

Oh and, you might think you could skip this by going up to 2F and warping out. You'll trigger it in the room where the stairs heading up are instead.

End

Palace of Pleasure

Still no random encounters inside the Palace, and nothing else to do here. We could walk back to the Red Sprite but there's a terminal right here so...

Welcome to the Red Sprite. You have my admiration for enduring your unfortunate imprisonment.
Thank you, Arthur.
I'm sure it'll be a pleasure working under you.
I will require a detailed debriefing from you at some point...
But perhaps not now. I have no wish to overtax you in your weakened state.
Still, one question must be answered: are there others of your crew who need rescuing?

They did pull others from the ship besides me, but one by one, they were taken away...
In the end, there was no one left to respond to my calls.
When the Elve failed during entry, the deck's hatch suddenly opened an the demons poured in.

Before I realized it... I found myself here...
Thank you, Firest Lieutenant Zelenin. That will be all for now. You need to rest.
We will treat you as one of our own crew.
Once you have recovered, you will join the others in our mission.
Only too happy to help, Arthur.
Returning to Earth is important, but we can't lose sight of our original goal...
The Schwarzwelt's erosion of the Earth could be intensifying as we speak.

Well, I'd sure appreciate it if you could tell us how to get outta this hellhole.
......I'll do what I can.
We have yet to confirm the whereabouts of your ship, the Elve.
The search for the Elve will be put on hold pending the retrieval of any information regarding it.

A medical capsule will be waiting for you there.
...Excuse me, everyone.
Strike team, prepare to receive new orders.

This is most likely the energy synchronized with, and emitted by, the demon Mitra.

Just come out and say it... Mitra itself is the Rosetta, so we need to go get him, right?
Bring back the enemy general's head, huh? Now we're sounding like soldiers!
But look, Arthur, how long can we go on like this?
You said before there are a few other sectors like this...
We just gonna keep doing this over and over until we make it back to Earth?

This information will point the way toward our escape route.
I assure you all that your efforts will not be in vain.
But until we have concrete data, on the layout of the Schwartzwelt, your mission will not end.
Yeah, yeah... I get it already. The mission, the mission... you don't have to keep telling me.

You will be assisted by a new system developed by the lab.
Please put it to use in your missions from this point on.

I am distributing the update now. Please accept it.

Enemy Search is a fun little thing that I really like in theory.

Basically, now along with Forma there will be random demons visible on the map. Sort of like FOEs in Etrian Odyssey but you only fight them if you want to, and they're never in fixed locations. They can spawn in the same spots as random Forma, and it's completely random what you encounter and when. It draws from a pool based on the Sector, what Enemy Search function you have and nothing else.

With this puppy installed, there's no way that demon'll catch you again!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 15, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Enemy Search is fun. Lategame Enemy Search is invaluable.

Also: Mastema :argh:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like Masetema's design, but he definitely embodies all that I hate about the Law branches of the game

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prayer

Back on the ship again, so we can take this chance to see what the crew has to say about Zelenin et al.

"Hey, at least we managed to save one life," or "We were only able to save one life"?
Dammit... The more I think about it, the less sure I am...!

Kato, please. Don't be such a pessimist!

Think of the predicament she was in... It was definitely a narrow escape for her.

She's been through a lot. Her brainwaves are unstable, as are her REM cycles.
Not that I blame her... they put her through hell out there.

I mean... when this ship crashed, I got kidnapped by demons too.
I thought that was it for me. When I saw your face, you were like a knight in a shining Demonica.
I can't say that he feels the same way I do, though.
I mean... she's so experienced. It's probably different for her than for a recruit like me...

Requisite reminder that everyone on this ship is the best of the best in their personal field. The game wants you to forget that at this point, despite reminding you repeatedly at the start. Unfortunately for it, I didn't forget!

Oh and we don't have anything new in the Lab right now. This shouldn't be a surprise, really. The only thing it could've realistically been is the Enemy Search and we already got that.

Go bring me some drat forma!
I'm gonna sink everything I got into development... That's the only way I can get payback!

Keep your successes in mind as you go about your missions, not your failures.
That'll help bring your confidence up, which might mean the difference in saving others.

Well, it was Norris' weakness, a gun and three demons. Also magic. Lots of magic.

Besides... grieving won't bring him back. We have our own necks to worry about.

Palace of Pleasure

Right back into the Palace we go. Random encounters are back now as well.

Probably should've gone to Antlia for its Enemy Search stuff first, but for some reason I got it in my head that I needed to do something else before ES Demons would even spawn.

The 2nd floor proves me wrong pretty promptly, but we're already here so let's keep going.

They work pretty much exactly like Forma. They pop-up on the map as a pink circle when our giant cross that searches for things passes over an appropriate square.

They also work like normal demons in that most of them are Unknown when we first encounter them. Most Enemy Search demons also have to be beaten at least once before we can fuse them, so we can't get around that the easy way.

Both Antlia and Bootes only have 2 ES Demons, and they share one of them. This thing we ran into first hits really hard with its basic attack, so I know from that alone what this thing is and that this is the one in both Antlia and Bootes.

So, before we run into another one (now that he's no longer Unknown)? I'm taking a random Melchom and Lilim and fusing them to make Azumi. Adding Harpy's source exclusively for Marin Karin. Azumi is a weird choice for this, yes, but that 112 damage from a basic attack on Hitonari was on Neutral resistance. It also was a basic attack. He can hit much, much harder.

But only with physical attacks.

So, hey, say hello to Take-Minakata. From Enemy Search A, he has a 50% chance of spawning in Bootes. That's combined from a 30% chance of spawning solo or a 20% chance of spawning with an Ippon-Datara ally. He also appears in Antlia with a 25% spawn-rate, but there he's always solo.

He's also really strong and probably the most dangerous thing we've fought so far. Low bar to cross, yes.

So we're going to do this. He's neutral to all ailments but Charm is Charm, and Charm is the best that we can use. He's also weak to Electric damage, but resists... a lot. He resists Phys, Ice, Wind, Expel and Curse. Yeesh.

Skill-wise, he has Garula which isn't that great for him personally (and his Source has Garudyne!) and Zan-Ei which is insanely scary. For reference, it has a base power of 200 which makes it the tied 4th strongest Phys skill and it increases to 300 on a New Moon. 300 is a very big number, yes; it's not quite the biggest base power, but it's the biggest you can get for a long, long time.

Combining this, his wonderful resistance loadout, that he has a base 23 Strength (and an 18% chance of it increasing on level up) and Preparedness makes him a VERY GOOD demon for a Chaos MC. Preparedness is a passive skill that makes Co-Ops that he's part of deal increased damage. Preparedness is only on 3 demons by default and only one Source. Sadly, that Source is not Takeminakata's.

Oh and finally, look at those drops. Look at them twice for good measure. Dis-Charm is his "uncommon" drop. ES Demons have a few quirks when it comes to battle rewards. First, they have a modified drop-table so they don't drop Life Stones. Instead they drop a variety of either recovery or offensive items. Second their Forma and (for some ES Demons) uncommon items are guaranteed drops and sell for at minimum 2000 Macca. Third, most ES Demons give zero EXP and none of the ones that do are in Antlia or Bootes. The allies they can appear with still give EXP, though.

So, uh, yes. Now that we have Enemy Search we have easy, infinite money without getting overlevelled in the process. There is zero excuse for having money problems from this point onwards.

The only other normal ES Demon in Bootes is Chupacabra (ES A gives a 25% chance to appear solo or a 25% chance to have a Pyro Jack partner). Being a UMA, Chupacabra is Neutral-Neutral but being an ES Demon we cannot negotiate with him. Also UMA is a race added to SJ from the Devil Summoner spinoffs (not the Raidou games, the Devil Summoner games) and then renamed to Food in IV because IV is confusing and stupid.

Anyway, here we can only see enemy UMAs as part of Enemy Searches. We also cannot fuse any right now, regardless of whether we kick the poo poo out of them or not.

...Oh and Chupacabra is much, much worse than Takeminakata. He's weak to Fire and Mute - not ailments, just a 300% modifier to Mute. He resists Expel and Curse and that's it. For skills, he has Giant Slice (ugh), Fog Breath (double Sukunda and thus ugh) and Life Drain (it's okay but not great).

Palace of Pleasure

En route back towards where we can probably make some progress, gonna make a Moh Shuvuu. Normally, she's kind of eh but I think she's pretty great for this stage, really. Adding the Principality source just gives better healing and Zionga. Mainly wanting that Zionga.

Back on the fourth floor, pure luck nets a random DF Bootite II. Sure, I'm okay with that.

And then as we get to the experiment rooms we were in before, for the third time...

Nooow... Go ahead... I'll graaab you from behind!

You probably noticed the ES Demon on the map. We're gonna scan that one immediately.

Even if you caaaaaaaan see me, it doesn't matterrrrrrrrrr! You can't beat meeeee!
Nooooow! Time to experimennnnnnt!
Hyahahaaaa...!

Okay, real quick Fomorians are a race of Irish-Celtic giants. They were the second to live in Ireland and some even married into the Tuatha de Danann. It might seem weird how Fomor is a general demon that looks nothing like the named ones that also appear in the series (Balor being the easiest go-to example) but, y'know. Whatever.

Here, our formerly invisible goatman is weak to Wind. Like Macabre, he's a slightly hardier version of a normal, random demon. Unlike Macabre, you can fight Fomorians before the miniboss version. The only real difference is that he has way more HP and he's immune to Expel and Curse. Normal Fomors have no resistances at all.

He might have a lot of HP (in the region of 750-755), but he still gets trashed in like 2 rounds. Honestly, even Norris is technically more of a threat. Good job, Fomor.

Palace of Pleasure

I don't get it! Whyyyyyy!? Arrrrrrgh!!

Well, now we can finally make progress on the 4th floor and beyond!

Immediately to the right, this thing stands out. It's apparently a switch, somehow. I'm not sure how, but there's no reason to ignore it so let's flip it!

...Yeah, that was definitely the right move to make. Now we can shortcut back up if/when we need to.

Meanwhile, over on the left-hand side we get a hole dammit.

This one doesn't even lead anywhere! It's just a stupid trap designed to make you waste time walking back over those damage tiles. This alcove exists solely for this. Augh.

Walking back to the 4th floor, since it's not that far, we'll go back to the switch and follow the tiny linear path. This brings us to stairs leading... down? Guess we gotta go down to go up.

At first glance, this brings us to a dead-end... but we have a gate search right here! Gonna use that then.

And it brings us to a wide-open area. We have a single path leading forward we can take without issue but the rest of it is gated off. Not by any gates or anything, but by a pond of damage tiles.

We'll ignore that part of the floor for now. Instead, let's talk to this lady.

I've stopped dining on humans, so I have no business with you.
Farewell, my past self, who drowned in the joy of gluttony...
...Hohoh.

Yeah, see, this is actually really clever. Hariti's here to reference her actual myth, rather than just being weird.

But, hey, we also know that demons get really aggressive during a full moon and it's nearly one now. Just gotta walk a few steps...

Crisis

M... meat... I want meat... Human meat...!
......! *pant* *pant* You have the most dreadful luck, passing by at such an inopportune moment...
I... I am Lady Hariti.
I apologize for being so abrupt, but you must leave this place.
I grow violent when the moon is full... and I cannot control urges when I see a human.
If you stay, I will most assuredly eat you...

Hariti is a Buddhist Rakshasa. She had hundreds of children and fed herself and them with human children. Needless to say, the mothers of said children got super pissed off and asked Buddha himself to do something about it. He kidnapped Hariti's youngest son (or daughter, in some versions) and hid them under his rice bowl. Hariti searched the entire universe, couldn't find her child and asked Buddha for help. He pointed out her hypocrisy in this matter and she admitted that the parents of the children she kidnapped must be suffering worse than she did. As a result of this, she became a protector deity of children and childbirth. She then decided to feed herself and her children on pomegranates instead of the flesh of children.

If I feed on that instead, my hunger for humans should be abated.
Please... won't you?
Yes.
What a dear! Thank you ever so.
I shall entrust you with this.

Now we just need to find a Pomegranate...

Palace of Pleasure

Not going to do very many skill changes, but Azumi doesn't need Charmdi so I took the risk. Fang Breaker is definitely an interesting trade-off. It's fairly ehh for an ST Phys skill but it also functions as an ST Tarunda at the same time. It's pretty nice for fights against minibosses or bosses, since it's cheaper than Tarunda (by 2MP, which doesn't sound like much but for Phys demons it matters a lot!) AND deals damage at the same time. It won't be seeing much use on my end, though.

Over the damage tile pond, we have a random Hamsa just chillin' out. Let's see what he has to say.

I welcome you... as my dinner!
Eh? Hariti told you to bring a Pomegranate to her?
I see. Pomegranate does have a bit of a human flavor, it's true.
It's a shame I haven't any on me.

She's on one of the floors above, though I've never met her myself...
She's always hiding.

A demon on the higher floor might have a Pomegranate. Well, at least it's a start. Thanks, Hamsa.

We'll go up the stairs here back to the fourth floor in just a moment. Just gotta finish mapping out this area now so I never have to come back here again, save for giving the thing to Hari--

god loving dammit

And now we're in a new section of the 2nd floor. I swear, if this ends up dropping us down to the first!

It's a pretty straight-forward area, thankfully. It only has 2 spots of note; an easy to miss fixed Forma that gives 2 AC Bootite.

But the Sleep Harpe is the real reason to bother with this area. It's a new weapon; a harpe is a type of sword, that has a small sickle-esque protrusion coming off the blade.

It's a decent upgrade for damage, but it's only a single-hit on a single foe... but it also has a chance to inflict Sleep. Sleep isn't Charm so it's not the best, but Sleep is probably the 2nd best (or maybe 3rd) so I'm definitely going to be using this.

And once we go through the one-way door that drops us off by the terminal, we're done with the 2nd floor entirely! Yep, that's the entire floor mapped out now.

This also puts us close to the elevator regardless of which way we go. So, we'll just take it back up to the 4th floor. Should get us back where we were pretty quickly.

Silence

...Oh wait, hang on right. The elevator wasn't over there. This is an entirely new part of the Palace.

You...! You...!

Hey, Tadano! You hear it too!?
Sounds like someone's taking a beating! Where though!?
...I'm picking up a reading from over here!
Let's help him out, Tadano! Follow me in!

Crisis

Oh, hi Bifrons. He's a different Bifrons to the one from earlier, though.

Thought you could escape? Thought you could get away from me, huh!?
I'll make it so you never... eh?
Who're you!?
It's go time, Tadano!

Okay, so Miniboss Bifrons gets the first strike and... is fought by Jimenez?! Hey wait...

Bring it on, you bastard!

So, now Jimenez is stepping up to do what Gore did before with Orias. The fight is part of the cutscene but it lets us know that Jimenez is Chaos aligned and is at least level 12.

...Why yes, I care about these things.

Sadly, Jimenez is not as good at this as Gore was. Which is weird when you remember Jimenez is explicitly a soldier and is on the Strike team. Gore was not; he was an engineer.

Ghh... you're pretty good, heh! (:ocelot:)

...This isn't fair! There's so many of you!
You think you can kill me with that!?
Quit babbling! You gotta be better at fighitng than that! Get real!
Hah! Say goodnight, ugly!

Silence

Hmm... Buh!? What the hell!?

Fear

Booooooooooo...!
Tch... What the hell is this? That's a demon!
What a waste of time!
Although... how come he was getting smacked around by another demon?

> The demon is wary of you...

Once again, this is just "do you be a giant dick for no reason or not." Once again, we're going to pick the Reasonable Option.

> You tried talking to the demon.

Boooooooooo...! Boo...?
Boo... Booooo...!
...Whoa. He's a nervous little guy.

Hey, man! We saved you!
Yeah, uh... what kinda demon is he, anyway?

.....Jimenez, how come you can just do that but I have to murder or fuse things first?

Hmmm... interesting.
Take a look, Tadano. I've never seen a guy like this.

> Jimenez sent you the results of the analysis.

Which we cannot actually see.

That one-quarter of him is non-demon material. Which means...
He's not a pure demon.
These facilities with their tortures and experiments...

I dunno what it is, Tadano, but this "Bugaboo" fascinates my rear end...
...Buga...boo...?
Buga...boo... Bugaboo!
Buga! Boo! Bugaboo!

In case it wasn't already obvious, Bugaboo works on Pokemon communication rules. Great...

What, you can't talk? Man, you're a pain in the rear end!
But I don't care. It's crazy enough that the other demons can talk...
You seein' me, bro? I want to make you my ally...
We're both crazy rejects in this world. Let's be friends...
Boo... Booo...?
C'mon, just look me in the eye. Talk without talking.
You stay here, and you're dead for sure. You run, you'll get caught and killed that way too.

...Buga, boo! Bugaboo!

> Bugaboo smiled.

...I'd say it's a done deal. C'mere, you!

So Jimenez successfully used the Talk option.

...Wait hang on, that didn't cost him anything! What the gently caress, Bugaboo?!

Phew! That went well.
So is this guy gonna be a li'l angel or a li'l devil...?
Time will tell, I guess.
...Alright, let's go, Tadano.

Right. Now we can get back to looking for the path to the 8th floor so we can kick the poo poo outta Mitra.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I always found Bugaboo weirdly cute, I always thought that 25% percent not-demon implied he got some human in his fusion.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
UMA wasn't renamed to Food to SMT 4, it took an assortment of demons from across the board, like Katakiruwa. It was done so because people eat them. So, I mean, of all the things in 4 that don't make sense, I am not sure that is one of them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

neongrey posted:

UMA wasn't renamed to Food to SMT 4, it took an assortment of demons from across the board, like Katakiruwa.

There are 2 Food race demons in both IV and Apocalypse that aren't UMAs in SJ. They are Onmoraki and Katakirauwa. The rest of the race is the entirety of the UMA race here. For all intents and purposes, Food is just renamed UMA. Nothing in the Food race makes a lick of sense; Onmoraki is a death bird and Katakirauwa is a demon spirit that steals your soul.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dragonatrix posted:

There are 2 Food race demons in both IV and Apocalypse that aren't UMAs in SJ. They are Onmoraki and Katakirauwa. The rest of the race is the entirety of the UMA race here. For all intents and purposes, Food is just renamed UMA. Nothing in the Food race makes a lick of sense; Onmoraki is a death bird and Katakirauwa is a demon spirit that steals your soul.

Well Onmoraki looks like a plucked chicken with an onion head, and Katakirauwa is a pig... so.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Yeah, given that UMA is Unidentified Mysterious Animal, it makes sense that those would be your go-to if you need to eat demons. Hare or Hare of Inaba, it's all good. Onmoraki is the weird one there because it's made from an unburied corpse, more than the UMAs.

I'm glad to see a Strange Journey playthrough. You're a lot better at the game than I was and it's interesting to see how you break stuff - I never really (ab)used Source, for instance.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 16, 2016

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I think the filing of certain demons into Food was an instance of SMT IV taking it's own personal designs into account far more than the mythological origins of said demons; I wouldn't say that's very out-of-character for the series.

I always liked to think Bugaboo was mostly an Elve crew member that's just resigned to going with Jimenez because they can't talk right anymore.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I think the in-story reason for naming them food is that with no sunlight and demons running around, there aren't a lot of protein sources (or any food sources, really), and they named any demon that they could safely eat without something bad happening. Most of them are similar to real world creatures - you have a fox, a pig, and a hare. Of the other three, you have a pre-roasted chicken, so that should be safe to eat. The Mamedanuki is a weird looking tanuki, also a real animal. The only outlier is the Chupacabra, but the developers likely thought to just keep it with the rest of the UMAs instead of giving it a new race.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dragonatrix posted:

SMT4/4:A's still a better made game than this as far as I'm concerned. But I find the "food" category of demons basically "We don't get cows, chickens, etc. We gotta eat THIS instead. Categorize them into a singe group so we know exactly what's an edible demon out there." And as far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters really. Besides, I'm pretty sure Katakirauwa fries up pretty good and Onmoraki...well, deep fat fry that fucker and you got some KFC on your hands.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Robindaybird posted:

Well Onmoraki looks like a plucked chicken with an onion head, and Katakirauwa is a pig... so.
But then you look at the UMA side and nothing in there looks edible aside from the Hare. They could have made the Foods consist of a mix of livestock-themed species from all races, and maybe even add some greens to it. Instead they just added two demonic foods to the list of cryptids (that used to have a chimpanzee and a pink elephant, as a reminder) and it's rather :effort:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Palace of Pleasure

Since we're here, we'll continue exploring north of the room where we found Bugaboo.

There's only another locked room we can't get into and stairs up. Let's go then.

This is our first foray onto the 5th floor, and we already get kind of an annoying path split.

We'll head on down the left-path first just because it was closer.

There is another branch immediately to the right which leads to a T junction. Great.

So it just loops in on itself over there. There's a locked door here that we also cannot open.

Oh and I missed a path to the left en-route...? Let's see then.

Have to cross almost half-a-dozen damage tiles, but it gets us...

A dead-end with nothing in it.

...Moving swiftly on!

The Fear of God

Pyro Jack is, well, Pyro Jack. You can look back a few updates, find what I said about Jack Frost and just flip Ice and Fire. That is exactly how Pyro Jack is.

Hey, Apsaras is here. That's something, I guess? She's still weak to Fire and has no resistances. Except Sleep. A 20% modifier on Sleep. Nothing else though!

Palace of Pleasure

Anyway, that gap over on the far right of the floor is a set of stairs leading up.

And the 6th floor gives us an aesthetic change that looks a lot like the area outside Mitra's room. So this is clearly the right way, and I will have none of that.

So let's head on back to the elevator and take it to the 5th floor since we haven't done that yet.

There's... a different elevator right next to where we left. Well, alright then. We'll see where it leads when we're done over here!

Glad you got the elevator back up and running. I owe you one.
But there's another elevator here, and it doesn't look like it's on.
Is there a switch for this one somewhere too...?

...It's not working...?

Well, drat. It isn't! But we turned the elevators on bef-- we're gonna need another switch for this one, aren't we? Great.

Nothing else on that part of the 5th floor save for an empty dead-end, so we'll head back to the 3rd floor and then walk back to where Hamsa and Hariti are.

The stairs here were right there and that hole made us have to wait until now.

Well, not quite but you know what I mean.

Also the stairs were the only thing missing from the map.

Maybe probably should've done this first in hindsight. But I forgot what was up here. :v:

4th floor over here has a fork in the road that leads to the same place. It's just a branching path around that central column.

Although maybe take the path that's on the left side of the map. That's probably a good idea.

If you can avoid the pitfall, then you'll come to another set of stairs leading to the 5th floor.

Which is just a tiny path leading to a hole.

So this entire area is just there so you can get 5 AC Bootite. That's it.

...Taking a trip back to the Red Sprite now. The crew doesn't have anything new to say despite the Bugaboo scene, though.

Prayer

Instead, we're gonna grab a new toy or two from Irving.

He has a few new things for sale. Might as well see what they all are at the very least.

The Desonberi is bery nice. Airstrike is just Light MT damage. Armshot is Hitonari's equivalent of Fang Breaker, so it's pretty handy. Randy Shot's the main reason to care though, since it can inflict Charm.

Accessories are still, well, accessories. Our new ones are primarily ailment resistance based. They're still not worth using for the most part. There IS one that I care about, but we can't make it for a while.

The Antidote Ring makes Hitonari immune to Poison. The Yggdrasil Ring we got for free also does that on top of the (minor) HP increase.

And the item we can make is a Frag Grenade, which is kind of interesting I guess. We don't really need it though and it uses Kishin Horns which we can sell for 3000 Macca a piece. :v:

Palace of Pleasure

Anyway, new gun in hand back to the palace we go. Taking the elevator back to the 4th floor so we can get back to the 6th.

But first, gonna make something useful. Not so much the Sudama, but he could be useful with that Marin Karin inherit.

What I was mostly after is this Karasu Tengu. I have no idea why I decided to let Wind Breath stick around (if I had a reason, I've forgotten it since I did this back in like July) because it's loving terrible.

Adding Karasu Tengu to our compendium gives the ability to make Kurama Tengu via a Special Fusion sometime in the future maybe. He's definitely not a bad demon to make by any means.

Anyway, 6th floor stuff. We've got a terminal right away that's pretty useful if you need it.

Right around the corner from that, we have another staircase leading up to the 7th floor. Mitra must be pretty drat close, huh...?

And right around the corner from THAT we have this guy.

I was looking around this area and found some stuff that should come in handy during the mission.
I'll split it with you.

3 Chakra Drops...? Oh thanks, nameless guy. This'll help so much.

Anyway, seventh floor! Starts with a Healing Spot that I decided I would just ignore entirely because I'm crazy like that.

The Fear of God

It's also when the last demon of the sector turns up and boy oh boy is she kind of awful! Mana Drain is a nice skill, as is Rakunda, but that's like all she has going for her. No ailment weaknesses at least, flat neutral there, but her source is a special kind of poo poo: Sukunda and Dia? Really, Gu Huo Niao? How disappointly terrible.

And because technically we've never seen either a Vodyanik or Fomorian in a fight here yet (I guess I forgot the Vodyanik somehow and Fomor's disappointing). Vodyanik has nothing fancy that you can't already see, so this is a good enemy team to just Magarus at I guess.

Palace of Pleasure

And that is it for demons we can encounter in Bootes. Well, there is still one but I'm ignoring it until we get the Rosetta.

Anyway, seventh floor is pretty linear until this fork here. We can keep going left which...

Brings us to a Gate Search door. We'll go through this shortly, but I'll open it right now before doubling back.

The southern path leads us to this dead crewman. Much like the one in Antlia, remember this one for later.

You DID remember the one in Antlia, right?

Also there's a pit here, goddamnit.

It leads us to a Goblin. He wants to talk at us.

This world's appearance changes from place to place.
It's because this place is formed of the power that collects here to destroy humans.
Depending on the nature of that power, this place's form changes.
Demons are incredible, eh?

Anyway, the entire reason this sidepath exists is for this bit right here. That "safe" tile in the middle is obviously a pit trap so if we go around it eating the damage...

We get 2 AT Bootite IIs for free. That's... not too bad, I guess.

Now, we have to take that pit because there's no other way out of here.

It drops us onto the damage tile hallway on the 5th floor. Thanks Bootes, I love you too.

Also around about now is when I get Bifrons and Fomor's Sources, so I combine them into Monunofu. He's pretty okay, and I'm not giving him a source because I'm not using him much. Tyranny is random 1-3 hits and each hit has a 60% chance to inflict Fear. Tyranny is insanely good, because Fear is ridiculous.

True Lobotomy is pure damage on a single target. It's a cool name but I prefer the literal translation of its Japanese name, which is Hyper Skull Crush.

I also briefly do something silly and make a Gu Huo Niao. We're immediately getting rid of her for something I'll actually use.

By adding a Bifrons and an Azumi source, we get a Power that I'm going to be keeping for a little while. Powers aren't great, but he's good enough for what he'll be doing.

Back on the 7th, we continue beyond the formerly hidden door and find a Naga and a fork in the road.

Someday I hope to be recognized by Master Mitra and climb in status!
But how do you get into Master Mitra's room...?

How I crave success...

Anyway, we're going south first.

It lets us turn the other elevator on and that's it.

The north path is a linear one that leads to some stairs that bring us down to the 6th floor again.

It opens up a little here, but it's not as wide-open as that implies.

Mainly because the two pillars in the room are the cause of the branches and are superfluous and unnecessary.

Also a terminal on the far left if you need it.

The path north (from the center) leads to these. They could be useful, I guess. Strain isn't super-common, there are like maybe 5 moves that can inflict it, and it's a less-threatening Poison so...

Over in the far southern end of the floor, we have an elevator that we just got working and another locked door. This one is even red so it needs a different key to all the other locked doors we've seen!

That gap north of here are stairs leading down to the 5th floor. We'll deal with them later.

The elevator can bring us back down to 5F which makes this a good shortcut back up if we need it for whatever reason. It can also lead us to 7F and directly to 8F.

We know Mitra's waiting for us on 8, so we'll go to 7 first.

This bring us to a very linear area that seemingly leads nowhere if you don't find this hidden door. It is potentially easy to miss if you're not checking every wall for them at this point I guess.

Past it we get to a very open area and a terminal. That makes 3 in 2 floors, technically. I guess they're generous with them here because this place can take a while to navigate?

Only other thing in this area are some stairs leading up to the 8th floor. There's nothing else here, so let's see where they lead.

...Oh. This is how we get back to Mitra. Sure, alright then.

This could've been avoided if Hitonari took notes on where Bifrons led him before!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Huh. Hyper Skull Crush...god I love some of these direct translations into english. But look at it this way. If you crush someone's skull (and they survive) that leads into the True Lobotomy! :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Palace of Pleasure

Before we go deal with Mitra, there's still a few parts of the palace to check out first.

There's the entire rest of the 8th floor for starters, though that's kind of an obvious one.

Doesn't seem like it's going to be a particularly large area, since I can clearly see where the Unlock door by Mitra's room leads to.

Around the corner to the north of there, we find another Gate Search door we can't open. Great.

Then we've got a Vodyanik around the corner from there. Nothing past this guy though.

Why isn't the door here? I thought this was where the hidden door was supposed to be...
Ohhh, of course. I'm thinking of the floor below!

He's just here as a hint for how to find Mitra, basically. We've already done that though so we'll just head back south towards the elevator.

There was one sidepath I skipped, that leads to this guy.

Hm? What business hast thou here?
Ho, a human? Thou shalt meet thine end in this place...
Humans appear to be untroubled by fear.
'Tis why thou art capable of wracking a planet, I suppose.

> The demon is looking at your weapon.

I will admit this... thy blade is finely crafted, truly.
I ask thee: art thou strong?

Well, my Strength isn't exactly my highest stat. In fact right now it might be either 2nd lowest or tied at the bottom with Magic.

Yes.
Thou hath no small measure of confidence in thy skill... So be it.
Wilt thou tarry a while with me?
I have yet to introduce myself. I am called Halphas.

I have wanted for stimulus in these recent days; pure battle is lacking in grace for my tastes.
I thought to enjoy a hunt, the sport of a gentleman, but alas, I have no rival.
Wilt thou accept my challenge?
I accept.
Then I shall release the game.

Now, let us begin the hunt! We shall begin at one full moon and end at the next.
Prithee wait a while until the next full moon.
Ready... Begin!

When on this quest, a few new Enemy Searches just appear. This is the only one that's super obvious, since we passed here moments earlier.

Mamedanuki in this context are the first ES Demon we've seen that is not Unknown at first. It's also somewhat special, in that several appear in fixed locations throughout the palace.

We'll kill this one for its tissue and move immediately on. We'll deal with the actual quest, and Mamedanukis in general, later.

But during this, we'll head on down to the 5th floor from the lefthand side of the 6th.

It's a fairly simple and linear area, that has a couple doors we can't open. Also a Magic Incense. Increases Hitonari's Magic by 1 and fully restores HP and MP.

Specifically Hitonari's; you can't use an Incense on demons. We won't be using it for a while, if ever, though. If you care enough, you CAN get an infinite number of these eventually.

And whenever the moon cycle is complete, Halphas yells really loudly and we hear him from wherever we are. It doesn't teleport us back to him, though; that's all on us to deal with.

We'll do it later. Back on 5th, this guy is happy that the 2nd elevator is also functional. There's a lot of Bootes left to explore... but we can't get to any of it.

So instead, it's back to the 8th floor we go. No special extra prep for Mitra. He's not worth the effort.

In the Master's Name

But to point your blade at me, of all things...!
I was mistaken to show you mercy! The result proves what all my experiments have shown!

In every way, shape, and form, humans are pointless creatures!
Now that our efforts in reshaping you humans have failed..
We must reshape this entire world that we might inhabit it again!
I shall carve a reminder of this vow from your skull and wear it with pride!

Tyrant Mitra

Vehement Rage

Mitra... may in fact be easier than Morax was. He has a larger variety of moves but the only one that's anything resembling a threat isn't used unless the fight drags on and on.

But, well, he's weak to Wind and we have a lot of that. And Rakundas.

Attack-wise, Mitra is actually a Physical oriented demon in practice.

Rampage and Explosive Fist can be potent but aren't major threats, thankfully.

On paper, this is a terrifying thing to see. Mabufudyne is a pretty powerful move, and is kind of unusual to see at this stage. But, uh, Mitra's magic is kind of awful so...

While it does deal a relatively large amount of damage, it's still not a threat.

Much like with Morax, Mitra has a bit of a special ability unique to him (as a boss in particular). In fact, he has two but Waking Dream is the more common one to see by far.

It's fairly weak, multi-target Almighty damage but what makes it worth caring about is that it has a ~60% chance of inflicting Strain. But, uh, it's Strain which is only a big deal if it hits something like Moh Shuvuu. Except we can cure it.

Light of Order is way more threatening, because it's just an instant kill. It cannot ever work on Hitonari (it only affects demons) but balances this out by being Almighty elemental and having a base 100% chance of working. Yikes.

Most things online claim it is only ever performed a non-specific number of turns after Waking Dream, and that he runs on a flat pattern whenever he's not doing that, but uh... no, that's wrong. He does only do Light of Order if he's already used Waking Dream, but there is no set number of turns he has to wait. It could be dozens, it could be immediate.

The End

Resistance wise, Mitra is also immune to Ice and that's basically it of note. You CAN reduce him to -4 in anything if you want. That's not something that upsets anyone right now.

EXP isn't too bad and the Chakra Pot is a nice drop as well. Full MP to a single target? Don't mind if I do.

End

Silence

These... broken creatures... without a future...

Rare Forma just like the Brass Horn from before. We'll be waiting a while to see what this gives us.

But this is what we were after. Later, Bootes!

Prayer

The energy mass you retrieved must be sent to analysis immediately.
Proceed directly to the command room.

Mission "Bootes Rosetta" is confirmed complete.
With the data extracted from the Roseta, we should be able to break through the quantum tunnel above.
Preparations for the plane shift are already underway.

And you say the quantum fields limiting traffic are unlcoked with certain information?
Which is held by demons... It's hard to believe, but we mustn't blink in the face of the truth.
The common factors between Morax's case and Mitra's case only support the theory.

It's unclear whether they created the sectors or occupied them after their creation...
Whichever it is, our goal is the same: we must take their Rosettas to move on to the next sector.

Those are the very demons we are fighting now.
The professor believed these life forms would appear as antipodes to human society.
The more burden humans place on the Earth by multiplying and consuming natural resources...
The more energy flows into the Schwarzwelt as a reaction.
This energy has an intelligence and a will, modeled after human behavior.
Of course, we can't rely solely on his theory for guidance...
Dr. Hammerschmidt never predicted that we would have to fight the demons, as we must continue to do.

Wasn't this Rosetta poo poo supposed to show us the way home!?
We're yanked around like a monkey on a string, and all we get in return is one lousy step forward!?
Arthur! Are you really looking for a way outta here!?

Jimenez, we went through this at the end of Antlia. It's not that easy...

Wh-What...!?
I am aware that the strike team is under a great deal of stress, but you must control yourself.
First Lieutenant Zelenin. You are on the monitor team, correct?
Observing the demons is closely tied to observing the Schwarzwelt.

Yes... I'm prepared. I'll do all that I can. Except one thing...

Too bad, sister... You're throwing a great way of making new friends down the tubes.
Well, to each his own.
Just don't get in our way, 'kay?

I'll gladly work with you, but not with demons.
I'm Zelenin. Nice to meet you.
Alright... Name's Jimenez. Nice meeting you.

Yes, I'm in the same situation. The Elve is still missing, after all.
I'd like to hope it's safe, but...

Just give the order and we'll go, Command!
Acknowledged. Thank you, Terry.
We will make the plane shift once all hands are ready.
All hands, please take positions to plane shift.

Later Bootes. We'll be back later, I'm sure...

Carina is technically a super-old constellation, being part of the Argo Navis - named after the ship that Jason and the Argonauts rode during the search for the Golden Fleece.

Carina itself is the Keel of a ship and became a separate constellation (along with Puppis (poopdeck) and Vela (sails)) in 1763. If that year sounds familiar, it certainly should. The Argo was broken up like this by none other than Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille who you may remember (but probably not) as the discoverer of Antlia.

Monitors, please begin your atmospheric surveys.

You'll be part of the mission from this sector forward, so best of luck to you.
Thank you. I'll do what I can to make myself useful.
Where should I start? Pinpointing the quantum tunnel's location, maybe?
Finding the next fresh hell is fine and all, but don't forget to look for our way home, okay?
I know it's important to explore and all, but I worry we're just getting ourselves in deeper.

Crewman Jimenez. My neural network contains no unnecessary functions such as faith.
I am programmed only to provide guidance based on the information collected.
Geez Louise, man, you don't have to argue every smartass remark!
Maybe you don't have faith, but you sure know how to take offense like a flesh-and-blood human. Christ...

I kind of have to agree here. :allears:

Wha--!?

Um, how about if I save time and send the feed right to your viewscreen... Take a look at this.

Fear

Brightly-lit stores and shelves full of products!?

Can anyone tell me why there's a shopping mall in an alternate dimension in Antarctica!?
Look at the variety of stuff on display... It gives me the creeps.
This shopping mall... This was in the pictures the drones sent, too.
We all assumed it was a mistake, but... here it is. Direct-feed images from the Schwarzwelt...

So this makes 3/4ths of the things we saw in the intro match perfectly. And everytime people are surprised. You'd think by this point, they wouldn't be.

The atmospheric conditions are fine, anyway. We shouldn't have any trouble operating outside.
So this sector shows signs of the human world, too...
Looks like Dr. Hammerschmidt's theories were correct once more.
He posited a causal relationship between the Schwarzwelt and human behavior.

Well, us goons on the strike team might not know much about your theories...
But it's looking to me like the demons built the Schwarzwelt as a way of studying their enemy.
Still... this place is nuts. Lots of good stuff here, though!
Hope I don't end up maxing out my card's limit.

Arthur, we have radar contact at 4 o'clock!
It's a giant ship!
A giant ship!? Is it one of ours!?
Acknowledged. Please attempt to establish contact.
Roger that! Transmission sent!
The Blue Jet's been scrapped, and the Elve was attacked by demons...

That's a good guess, but...
Hmmm? That's strange...
Arthur, the ship's still unidentified and I'm not getting much of an answer.

The Elve!? You're sure about this!?
Oh, thank goodness it's still intact!

...If the Elve is here, how did Zelenin get into the middle of Bootes?

This is indeed a stroke of luck.
However, our inability to contact them suggests a high probability that they are having difficulties.
Hey, Kato... You said there was a "strange response"? What's that mean, exactly?

It doesn't seem that way...
They are answering our signal, but it's not a proper response.
Could be that the Elve's Command Unit is malfunctioning.
The Elve was attacked by demons, and its present signal cannoy be confirmed as that of the crew.

It would be premature at this stage to launch a rescue mission.
No... You'd abandon them?
Our course of action should be based on the Elve's usefulness.
Let us consider the situation from this perspective.
The Elve's radio is functional. We may assume that the ship is also in working condition.
From there, we can anticipate that other equipment onboard is also viable.
By equipment, you mean the graviton radio, yes?
That is correct.
If we retrieve the Elve's graviton radio, it may become possible to communicate with Earth.

Now you're talking!
There can be no guarantees, but it will improve our chances significantly.
The likelihood is strong enough that it is worth issuing an official directive.

Hopefully there will also be survivors onboard to rescue...
I understand your concerns, First Lieutenant Zelenin.
However, it would be best if you proceed as part of the team.
I am assigning you to observe this sector.
Select a support crew and investigate on site.
Understood.
As a point of interest...
We have used the Rosetta Manifold from Mitra to enhance the Demon Summoning Program.

Strike force team, prepare to receive the patch.
Heyyy, looks like we can beef ourselves up even more, Tadano.

...Hey! What are you doing summoning demons inside teh ship!?
Stop that! Stop it right now!
Don't be so uptight. You gotta keep in touch with your underlings, y'know?
It's 'cause him and me are so tight that he fights for me... See?
...Buga!

You guys are such sticklers for the rules...
Oh well. C'mon back, Bugaboo.
Buga! Boo!

You say you want to escape, but you're making nice with demons... An odd contradiction, I'd say.
Hey, how about I carry out the missions, and you worry about your end, all right?

We'll get to that eventually, but it doesn't seem too important.

So, we're going to head back to Bootes to finish up a whole buncha sidequests. And optional bosses. But mainly sidequests.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 15, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
God, just gently caress off, Jimenez.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jimenez is a bigger dick early game than I had recalled, though he and Zelenin both need to chill the gently caress out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jimenez and Arthur really make a great team even if the former's an unlikable dick. They work too well together.

Also it says a lot about how demons understand human culture that all the advertisements are boiled down into their most basic premise: "BUY - CONSUME".

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's actually kind of hysterical for how much demons rail against humans about how little they actually understand them.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I feel like the game is being very heavy handed with Jimenez and Zelenin. It is really obvious when the Law-Chaos-Neutral path split occurs who will side with what and be totally unwilling to compromise with the player. I have this feeling that both of them are going to die and/or turn evil and I, for one, won't care because they are both being unreasonable dicks.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Yeah, this was one of the things that turned me off the game. It devotes a lot of screen time to characters that are impossible to care about.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

How is Zelenin being unreasonable exactly?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Tallgeese posted:

How is Zelenin being unreasonable exactly?

She's pretty much dismissing that the demons have any sort of sentience. She calls them tools and views the things they do as solely byproducts of human actions, like demons are carbon dioxide or something.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
She's also completely unwilling to entertain the possibility of them being any use in the expedition, despite the fact that without the DSP the entire expedition would already be dead. Yeah, she says that she's only personally unwilling to use it, but when Jiminez summoned probably the least dangerous demon in SMT history she threw a straw Vulcan shitfit.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Generally it's always pretty obvious who ends up the Law Hero and the Chaos Hero though SMTII didn't have a "Chaos Hero" iirc - it's been a while and III/Nocturne's reasons aren't 100% lined up with the law-neutral-chaos axis, but these two are almost painful in it, Walter and Jonathan are less cardboardy in comparison (my complaint with those two is how sudden and hamfisted their turns are rather than their actual characterization).

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SweaterGear posted:

She's pretty much dismissing that the demons have any sort of sentience. She calls them tools and views the things they do as solely byproducts of human actions, like demons are carbon dioxide or something.

This of course begs the question of: is she incorrect? It certainly seems like they are strongly influenced by human action.

kvx687 posted:

Yeah, she says that she's only personally unwilling to use it, but when Jiminez summoned probably the least dangerous demon in SMT history she threw a straw Vulcan shitfit.

And you find that unreasonable when it is found amongst a suite of demons whose known actions include horrific human experimentation on people she worked closely with?

You're kind of forgetting that part.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Though I suspect lot of us who played it are also colored by knowing how Zelenin acts later on, and the ending she's attached to is one of the loving creepiest endings.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
As much as I hate Zelenin and Jimenez, at least it's easy to know which path the both of them are on. Though I hate how she completely dismisses demons as sentient beings with their own feelings, I'm with Jimenez on how to treat your demons. At least think of them as more than just tools you stuck up bitch. "Waaaah I hate demons because they killed my crew members so I don't want to use them", yea and everyone ELSE on the ship dealt with the same feelings, but at least they're willing to recruit and fuse them to get out of there. If this were a just universe, she'd have been killed off before the end of Bootes and just go on with someone else on the path she aligns with.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My main problem with Zelenin is how uncompromising she is about the demon thing. Her crewmates actively used the DSP to rescue her after all. Also for a mission about, I dunno, saving the world, she really is squeamish about using their best chance of survival.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I think the fact that everyone is kind of unreasonable and rash, including Jimenez and Zelenin, works pretty well for a story about a bunch of supposedly well-trained soldiers, medics, and engineers being thrown completely for a loop and seemingly left to die in a big black dome. That being said Zelenin refusing to see worth in any demon because a group of them experimented on the Elve crew and held her captive for an indeterminate amount of time seems at least understandable. Jimenez is feeling trapped and running on fumes. He wants to get out of the Schwarzwelt, clearly only heard "here's how we might get out of here" and using is an AI as his personal venting post now that he's told firmly and clearly it will require more work. I don't think either of those attitudes are enough to make either of them unlikable... yet.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was going to bring up the hypocrisy of treating all Demons like they're Mitra's mythological Mengeles while trusting an Angel. Then I realised that was about to argue with Tallgeese.

For what it is worth, I think it is kind of neat that Jimenez acts like a jackass but is practical and can be convinced to act like a reasonable person, while Zelenin is polite but unwilling to compromise on her xenophobia and leaves the "dirty work" of dealing with Demons to the others. It is a neat and somewhat subtle contrast. Too bad this is SJ and these characters are going to get more extreme about their alignments later.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
I'm starting to see a pattern in the areas. Are we gonna get the seven-deadly-sins treatment?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

grimlock_master posted:

I'm starting to see a pattern in the areas. Are we gonna get the seven-deadly-sins treatment?

Kinda-sorta.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Robindaybird posted:

Though I suspect lot of us who played it are also colored by knowing how...

This is pretty much exactly what's going on, and honestly it's kind of unfortunate for the people who haven't seen this game before.

A lot of people have severe trouble not injecting pre-concieved notions into the topic of discussion.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Heads up that today's update is gonna be pretty lengthy, so it's a good thing we're very close to a new page already. Probably gonna be a good idea to push it over sooner rather than later, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Now it's got brought up, what's the Spoiler Policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
We can push pages over, no problem. There's some fun stuff in Carina to look forward to.

• Locked thread