Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Holeee I forgot this bit was even here.

And yeah, the Alice quest is literally the only thing I can ever remember about Fornax. I think there's another dungeon gimmick later on? maybe? hell if I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Getting mildly invested in a dungeon? Interested to see what the other two bosses are gonna become?

Nope, time to backtrack and meet up with the exaggerated libertarians.

God, this game is dumb.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016

Dragonatrix posted:

Hey, um, mister? I sorta have this problem...
I was playing with a cute bunny and trying to chase him. But I can't catch him...

Well, a little girl lost her bunny that she was playing with. What kind of monster do you have to be to refuse to help?

:stonklol:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I actually like Fornax, simply because I found it relaxing after the goddamn mess that Eridanus was. v:shobon:v

Also

OH YEAH!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

That was a very abrupt diversion from our dungeon crawling. Anyhow, I'm guessing the 'true form' bosses suck so much mainly because since they literally just burst out the walls, the player has to be able to beat them mostly unprepared. Replacing Mabufudyne with Ice Breath is still head-scratching regardless though.

Die For Me has a really cool animation, seriously.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Moloch had a cool design, but Mitha to Mithras was a huge downgrade.

There's just so many baffling design decisions in this game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

It gets worse and worse towards end-game. God drat does it get worse. I mean holy gently caress, second half of the game is a loving SLOG with bad balancing and bad design choices.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

really baffling story decisions, like interrupting the boss Gauntlet to deal with Jack here. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try to play it 100% serious, if they had simply embrace the lunacy of the premise and gone camp.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Dragonatrix posted:

In terms of crew, they lose handily. We're the best of the best.

Too be fair, we are the best of the best... of governmental forces and mercenaries that joined us.

Jack's squad is a mercenary group, with their forces being of unknown origin. For all we know, their crew is filled with ex-military forces that weren't hired by the joint project.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Robindaybird posted:

Moloch and Mithras are pretty long-standing SMT designs, so for someone like me who's seen them before, it's a nice touch. (Both designs are in Soul Hackers, a 1997 Saturn game.)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That's a weird decision. Couldn't they have introduced Jack's squad earlier or moved this event later to pace these encounters with them a little better?

Also, typo from the Moloch refight:

quote:

See how I overflow with energy to such an extent that my sanirt is fleeting!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Prism posted:

Moloch and Mithras are pretty long-standing SMT designs, so for someone like me who's seen them before, it's a nice touch.

Speaking of Moloch's design, let's talk about a different game for a second since I'm reminded of it now.

So, I have a game dump of most of the (demon) images from SMTIV, right? It's what I'm using here to make most of the demon portraits since IV is lazy and just dumped all of SJ's demons in it wholesale and then added about 100 or so more because SJ only has 314 and that's not way too many enough as it is.

Like so. Hi, Moloch, how's it goin'? This image is his portrait for dialogue in IV, by the by*. I know this for a fact because the images I have are the busts for the regular demons and all bosses (even some DLC ones surprising no-one).

Except, whoops, if you actually look through the files guess what's also in there.

Hi, Other Moloch Design that's generally used in the 3d games (like NINE or IMAGINE or Devil Survivor 2... what? I said generally). This image is also his portrait for dialogue in IV. Why are you here? Why are you both here?

*IV does not use Moloch. It has Morax as an early game Tyrant, sure, because actually changing things from Strange Journey was too hard, but these are just... here. In the game files, unused. Makes me wonder if Moloch's other design is ALSO in SJ but I haven't checked that one. I'm presuming so, because IV was so lazily and sloppily designed that I doubt it was just added there only to go unused, but I don't know for sure.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm greatly curious about your thoughts as a whole on SMTIV, pass 'lt's not good', that is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prayer

Jack's Squad have this really cool thing. They presumably made it with the stuff we collected. We cannot also have really cool thing because reasons. Just... don't question it.

...yes okay it DOES get explained later but still

Someone hired them to come here, right?
Who do you think could be capable of going over the Joint Project's head like that...?

But they're acting strange without notifying us and I can't blame anyone for being suspicious...
I hate to say it, but it's seeming like our relationship of trust had a pretty shaky foundation.
Be careful, now. Don't do anything to provoke them.

It must feel good for them, having power like that.
But there is nothing more dangerous than an overconfident human.
Yes... they can be uglier and more frightening even than demons at times...

I'd completely forgotten he was even here, to be honest.
...What on earth are they up to at a time like this?

Meanwhile, we have a lot of new things to give to Irving. And only two of them are Rare forma.

...Hm? Is that...? Give that forma here...

Mind if I take a gander at that for a second?
Don't worry, I won't make ya do the work. Help me out here, Chen.
Sure.

...Hmm... Looks like the forma ya got can enhance yer Main App.

Tell ya what, Tadano... Could you come see us again when you get another forma?
Ya get other forma that works with what we got and put 'em together, then we'll be talkin'!

So we can't do anything with the Sun Mirror right now. That's annoying but something that should resolve itself over time.

The Hexagram, meanwhile, has no such problems and we can trade this in for an upgrade right now.

Forma Search C nets you the toppest of top-tier random Forma. I really cannot complain about that.

It's also required to get some very useful and important Rare Forma, so y'know. Definitely don't want to miss it.

Speaking of sidequests, and new gear, we can have Irving make an Answerer Knife immediately after it becomes available from the Fairy Village. The sidequest doesn't even really save time in this instance; it's AT Forite x2, Flight Tail x3 (Rukh) and Tyrant Eye x1 (Balor) so it's really easy to make. And it's still terrible, so gently caress it.

Hey look, it's the Abba Dingo but for Ice instead of Wind. And even later. Thankfully it's piss easy to unlock but not at this stage; AT Forite x1, Reaper Rime x1 (Hel) and Fallen Star x2. We won't get to see what drops that last one for a little while.

So we got this early thanks to Bronze Forma. You normally have to wait even longer to get to make this terrible gun easily. Why is this a thing that keeps happening?

The Hardwired is... potentially a useful piece of armor for Fornax. I know, I'm shocked too. The Ice resistance is generally useful for a variety of reasons, the defense is higher than the Belobog Vest (yes I'm still using that) and its Elec weakness isn't THAT detrimental. Good job, Hardwired.

DF Forite x2, Femme Spool x2 (Clotho) and Raptor Ulna x1 (Gurr) are all you need to make this so it's also pretty simple to get.

No new accessories, but we can get stones that kill things. Mamudo Stones are actually pretty good; guaranteed to go first and a base 30% chance to inflict instant death. As much as I would love to complain about this, I can't. Not really. It's just AC Forite x1 and Enigma Sphere x2 (Kinmamon) to make as well so there's no difficulty in getting a ton of these things quickly and effortlessly. I mean, I'm not going to but I could.

A man's gotta have character, class, and passion! Ya think Jack's squad has any o' that? Hell no!
...They ain't worthy of all that fancy-pants technology they got.
If they gave it to me, I'd use it for the good of the world... for the people, ya know?

I mean, he's as human as the rest of us. I think we should all be cooperating.
Odds are, demons are pulling our strings, hoping us humans will kill each other off!

Malevolence and Benevolence

I think this is the first time we've seen Terry outside of his Demonica helmet. He sort of looks like someone took Dent's character model and just changed his posture slightly. Boring.

You ready, Hitonari?
Yes.

> Terry used the ship-wide intercom

Ops to all crew! The ship will be plane shifting momentarily!
There will be two shifts.

Commencing the plane shift now!

Just in case you thought they decided to not just play this scene whenever it's redundant and pointless, nope. They just delayed it this time. Thankfully they only play the original stock version and not one involving the Vanishing Point as well.

Silence

Plane shift safely completed. We have successfully entered their space-time location.
Patching the camera feed through to the viewscreen.

Fear

Well, there's nothing in these atmospheric scans that indicates any danger.

It's no use. I'm not getting any response at all.
Looks like they have no intentions of answering our hails.
Hope they're not putting together a little welcoming party for us...

We may be required to contact them directly this time as well.
Therefore, I advise we disembark and approach them.
The team should be composed of crewmen they are familiar with to make proceedings go smoothly.

Please establish communications with Jack's squad.
Be friendly and take care not to cause any unnecessary trouble.

A Scorched Nation

Now I'm REALLY curious what they're doing here...
Nice place they got here, though... I's air-conditioned, climate controlled...
Looks like we don't need our Demonicas here.

> Jimenez removed his helmet.

They've practically built themselves a resort...

Jimenez, something wrong...
What's up, Bugaboo? Hahah, you're just nervous 'cause you've never been here before. Calm down, li'l guy.
Alright, Tadano. Let's go have a chat with Jack.

I dunno, I think I'd rather leave for a minute since we got railroaded into this without getting a chance to fini--

Alright, fine. Let's go into the HQ and speak to Jack then. Bleh.

Go home if you don't wanna get shot down like a demon!
Why? This your campsite for demon hunting? Can't say I approve of your taste.
We came to see Jack. We want to talk.

He's a busy man, y'know. So are we.
I'm sure you have plenty of questions about this base, but you're better off walking away. This ain't Earth.
Alright, I get what you're saying, but...
You're not even gonna let us drop in and say hi?
Having cushy digs like this without saying a word is kinda...

Don't worry, we won't get in your way. As long as you don't get in ours, of course.
But you step out of line... Well, you know what happens then.
You're badly outgunned. Don't even think of trying anything.

There, that should be all the info you need! You wouldn't get any more out of the Captain, either!
...Fair enough. Let's go back to the ship, Tadano.

...Boo, boooooo! Jimenez, him, lie!
What the...? You need to keep your demons in line, man.
If I was his owner, he'd get a pop in the... Huh?
That sure is a weird demon... Where'd you find him?

...He's kinda special. I don't think you could find another one. Sorry, but no sale.
Sorry to bother you. Later.
Well... if you change your mind, the offer stands. And don't get any stupid ideas...

Yeah, yeah, back to the Red Sprite... Although, I do wanna try to enter again just in case.

If you weren't a human--hell, if you weren't the investigative team, I'd put a bullet in your head!
We got no business with you. Now beat it!

Hmm, okay. Jack's Squad are a lovely bunch of people and definitely make Chaos seem like a very reasonable and sensible alignment path.

They do not appear to have any intention of disrupting our investigations.
However, their highly advanced technology alone should be cause for concern.
I can't say I'm not worried about what they're after, but...

Whatever they're planning, if we escape the Schwarzwelt, it's not our problem... right?
We have our own business to take care of. Let's get back to Fornax.

Stay behind...? What for?
I'm just saying we could leave someone here to keep an eye on them.

Hmmm... Well, maybe so, but...
Whoever we choose for a spy would be here on their own, without backup. It's a dangerous assignment.
I don't know if we could spare anyone, even if someone was willing to volunteer.

Jimenez...!? You're not...
C'mon. If no one else is up to it, I'm more than willing to step up to the plate.
Unless you wanna do it, Tadano? Feel like staying here as our spy?
Sure.
Um, well... I don't really know what to say to that...

It's just this hunch I have... I don't think we should leave Jack's squad to themselves.
Bugaboo thinks so, too... And I agree.

Plus, I thought it might be nice to kick back here instead of running around a new sector, haha.
I mean, technically, I'm Blue Jet crew anyway. I'm not even part of the Red Sprite.
You're okay with me doing my thing, right Arthur?

If the crew as a whole approves, you have my permission.
You know... I had the wrong idea about you, Jimenez.
Frankly, I thought you were a selfish, hot-headed rear end.
But you're willing to make sacrifices too, eh?
...Hey, hey, don't get me wrong.

I don't know if you're telling the whole truth or not, but... I'm behind you.
It'll be tough, but I know you can do it.

We will keep in regular contact, Jimenez.
If anything out of the ordinary occurs, send us a rescue signal.
I'm not so sure it's best that we send you out like this, Jimenez.
I think we should come up with another way...
If you got a better idea, I'm all ears, First Lieutenant Zelenin.

...Hasta luego, Tadano. I'll see you later.
Alright, c'mon, Bugaboo!
Buga! Boo!

> Jimenez disembarked for Jack's Squad HQ...

Prayer

Well, that was a bust. Annoying but at least it was also something happening. Back on the ship, some people have updated dialogue courtesy of Jimenez's plan.

I mean, I'm sure he has his own agenda, but... It's still a big sacrifice for the team.

Although... knowing him, he wouldn't stand for letting anyone else be assigned anyway.
I'll continue to monitor Captain Jack's actions.

Zoe's dialogue isn't updated, but Maebe has been replaced by Wolf so this is kind of obviously new by default.

Well, if he didn't volunteer, I would have!
...I mean, I wish I could, but if something happened, I'm nowhere near good enough to take them on.
So I'll just keep my mouth shut and go about my regular duties...

Oh, so THAT'S what goes in that corner, huh? I suppose that makes sense.

And if anything does happen, Arthur and the Ops team will come up with something.
Let's focus our best effors into the mission at Fornax.

We'll focus on Fornax in a bit. First, let's go back to Jack's Squad HQ since we can do that whenever we want now.

I'm trying to lay low, so I'd like to avoid any unnecessary contact with your guys, but...
Meh, they probably know already.
But look, you can leave this place to me. Go back to Fornax.

I have a better idea. How about we instead go everywhere EXCEPT Fornax?

A Scorched Nation

We DID get that Forma Search C so let's see what it gets us. Well, not a lot honestly. It lets us see and collect Gold forma which is a very small list of new additions. Nectar Core X is the only one we can even do anything with, it's a component of making Bead Chains(!), and it's also in every single sector.

It also sells for 2000 Macca a piece so there's that if you have excess somehow.

More important is that each sector has one X piece of equipment Forma.

It's either AT or DF; there is nothing that has both.

There IS an AC X but that's exclusive to one Sector.

We won't actually be able to use the equipment Forma to make anything for a long, long time. It's used to make equipment for the end of the end-game.

Thankfully, the X stuff is not what makes any of that difficult or annoying. They're fairly common if you can find a good place to search and you only need a maximum of 3 to unlock anything. They're almost all used for exactly one thing each, that is usually pretty good. As you'd expect and makes sense.

Usually. There is one in particular that is a giant disappointment but we'll get to that when we get to that.

The Land Where The Seed's Memories Lie Buried

But for now we have Fornax to go back to and deal with. Let's see what's down the middle path then.

A lot of corridors. Each floor here is just a corridor that has maybe one thing differentiating it from any other floor.

You can't see him, but hoo boy is he ever angry.

This floor's thing is this one Rukh who tells us that Horkos is super-mad. Sure, whatever. He did get rather pissy when we outdid him several times.

B2F gives us a single Soma Drop. Exciting.

Who? Dude, the ancient gods who've regained their powers, that's who.
Heheheh... There ain't no turnin' back now.

There's this Kin-Ki who tells us that we have boss refights with a slight twist coming up. Which we already knew about. There's also an Amrita Soda just off to the left.

B4F has... nothing. I'm pretty sure this AT X is NOT fixed, since all Gold fixed forma is either Rare stuff for Demonica upgrades or behind hidden/locked doors. I'll take it anyway, though.

B5F does not give us a demon warning, but it DOES give us a healing spot and a terminal. I guess this is either like midway to Horkos or we'll get the memo as soo--

Silence

> You can hear a voice from somewhere...

So, this is a dead-end then. There's an invisible thing here, it's not on the map as an Enemy Search demon and it hurts us if we try and pass. Horkos has some clever defences.

I DID notice that I missed part of the left-side's map earlier, at this point. It was all from the rabbit chase so that's easy to fix. Gonna go do that real qui--

well i cant say i was expecting this but at least its saving me time later

Fiend Black Rider

An Honor Befitting that Name

Okay, so Black Rider is "weak" to Fire (exists for Co-Op only, yes). He drains Ice, null to all ailments etc. etc. All very standard Fiend stuff at this point. He has 1600 HP, so this'll take a bit of doing.

He can use both Luster Candy AND Debilitate - debuffs all stats by 1 stage on every enemy. Thankfully he does not have Dekaja or Dekunda and he seems to prefer to buff himself a lot more than debuffing you.

Since he can't clear, you can mitigate his damage output. This is a basic attack. After one War Cry. (And one Luster Candy on his party but shush.)

His third skill is a special enemy only skill. Black Rider is one of two things to have Dry Sea. It's a multi-target ailment skill.

It's Strain. At least he tries.

In a diabolical swerve, Black Rider is the first non-Boss to have more than three moves! And one of them is Megidola! It's nothing fancy, it's just a base power 300 multi-target Almighty spell.

And he has 49 Magic.

So, uh, yeah. That one hurts a fair bit if you don't debuffed, and doubly so if you don't get rid of his buffs!

Glacial Blast is one of the better Ice spells. Its damage per hit isn't anything super fancy (it has 80 power) but it hits 1d4 times on random targets. Kind of better in our hands as a result, yes.

So, yeah, despite how I have a tendency of making it look, because the Fiends are so rare and can jump you from any ES point, they CAN prove difficult. Or at least Black Rider can, because he does new things and one of them is buff a lot and then hit you with the most powerful attack we've seen to date.

Tied with Zan/Getsu-Ei during their appropriate moon phase, at least.

His restorative is an Amrita Soda. Cute, but we can already buy 'em if we really want them. The Megido Stone is very nice for Magic MCs (except again 2% spawn rate) and Judgment Scales are used in a lot of things. A lot of things.

One of those things is Luck Incense.

End

The other reason I came this way, was to get to the part of the map that Mitra was guarding. It was a one-way door leading to a fixed Forma.

It's not too bad, I suppose. I don't think I got AT II here yet. I don't remember; Fornax just keeps removing itself from my memory.

Oh wait, correction. Mitra was guarding a one-way door.

How did he even get the... y'know what, it doesn't matter. Don't care.

Just gonna casually finish the first floor map as we begin our descent down the last path.

So, yeah, how about that right hand side?

The Fear of God

New demons, hurray! Lachesis is simple and we have one even. Her source gives Luster Candy (and Phys Boost for some reason) so that's why I'm using her. She's also immune to Sleep and you can see everything else of note right here. I'm just disappointed there are no demon noises in SJ so she can't sound like an angry duck.

Gryphon is a bird dude, so he's weak to Guns. I know he's a Beast but he has wings so it totally counts shut up. He resists Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. He's pretty fast, but having Agility be your main stat is dumb.

That's it for now. We'll see more new demons later, I'm sure. Even if it just Asura's truer true form. Remember when he explicitly told us before that Asura WAS his true form? Good times.

bloody liar gonna put him so deep underground

Oh and this part of the floor? Is a big, not-maze that aside from that one Chakra Pot is completely empty!

Fornax just does this. It just has big rooms with nothing in them and I'm already sick of that.

So have a Cu Chulainn who can instant +4 of his stats with Blood Ritual and then drop Concentrated Floral Gusts. Charge to go with that Grand Tack would be better but whatever.

Floral Gust is honestly REALLY BAD. It costs 65 MP for a spell that's exactly as strong as Garula but Multi-Target, so its slightly weaker than Magarudyne for more than twice the cost. And that extra 35 MP? Comes from it having a chance to inflict Mute.

A base 35% chance. To Mute. 1MP per 1% to Mute. This is not a good ratio!

Tonatiuh is a simple guy who I want purely for his source. Not for what it gives by default but because look at his skills. He has an innate Repel Fire (which if you remove for some reason drops his resistance to Null). He can Bonus Skill that.

and he bloody well better

Second floor has a dead man with our requisite sidequest box.

The main motif seems to be equilateral and reverse triangles. It looks like a giant storage facility for data.

There's memories of everything stored here... absolutely everything.

> The data is corrupted, preventing you from reading further.

You noticed how the Black Boxes have gotten less useful for deciphering what the Sector is supposed to represent? Yeah, I think whoever wrote them kinda forgot that's what they were clearly supposed to be for, as well.

Anyway, there's a door near this guy that's the only way we can g...

for gently caress sake

At least Fornax has the decency to sequester these off to their own corners of the area. Left-hand room gets the most boring pit-drop non-maze, and the right-hand room gets dark rooms.

This is not a fair trade!

Fortunately, Fornax has the decency to at least START off by being sensible and easy.

Which is weird considering yet again this is NOT the first time we've seen these and the first time was way harder for no reason.

Two Magic Mirrors sounds very nice, and in theory it really is. Just a shame that in practice it makes things mad and then they just smack you with things that can't be reflected, huh?

Smallest of mercies here, but we're done with this area now.

And as a result, B2F as a whole. At least I can't complain about this; Fornax is kind enough to let us clear it out entirely as we go. Thanks, Fornax.

B3F starts us off with this. Well, alright then. There's just a Heal Spot here though; no terminal.

.....instead we get a fairly vicious dark room

Not because of any traps or extra tricks or anything. But because it's a big, wide open area. The mini-map is only a small mercy since, as a reminder, it does NOT map the dark room tiles.

The Fear of God

So, as a break from that, let's look at the dark room's enemies. Tlaltecuhtli is pretty boring. She's weak to Ice, resists Phys and Fire. Her skills are boring, and her Source gives Life Surge. And nothing else.

Grendel is a bit of a bad, weird mess. He resists Phys and Gun but he's weak to Expel. And he's 300% weak to Stone, Paralysis, Bomb, Strain, Poison, Charm, Mute and Fear. He makes up for this by being only 200% weak to Sleep. He's neither Oni nor Ares so he's still neutral to Rage.

Ose is good and fun though! He's immune to Curse, resists Expel, has Dekunda as a default skill, he's 50% resistant to Strain (thanks...?), Charm and Fear! He's annoyingly 300% weak to Paralysis and Poison. Also his basic attack is a flat two hits but with no added effects. Oh and he drops Fallen Stars if you really want that Blizzard gun (you don't).

......ughhhhhhh this is a dead end 3 tile dark room behind an easily missed door in a giant open dark room

why does this exist what does this add

Thankfully, there's some fixed form in the bottom right corner but getting to it can be a mite bit of a pain because there's no way of knowing it's there. Irritatingly, it's even one space outside of the search radius so doing the middle path first does NOT add it to the map.

Same thing applies to the one in the top corner. Thankfully, this one is right by the stairs down.

Well, I say stairs but they're more like weird diamond shaped tubes? Kind of? Seems more like a slide or something to me.

But that's another floor done and dusted. Can't complain about that one.

B4F starts us off with a terminal dead ahead, and a door to the north and another door to the south.

why yes i am already sick of these constant dark rooms

this one even has a half-dozen doors so finding progress is somehow even more annoying

What doesn't help is that each door leads to a small room. That has a staircase leading down to B5F. And, why yes, only one of them IS the right way to go.

You really pissed him off...
Better prepare yourself for death, because your days are numbered.

So, in other words, this area exists solely to tell us that we need to brace ourselves for Asura's wrath.

Well, that was a colossal waste of our time. What about this one then?

Well, there are broken tiles here so that's a good sign.

...Except whoops, it's a dead-end with just 3 Rising Cores in it. Nice, but that's it. We're done over here now.

So that leaves this one. I'm sure this one will be at least somewhat useful, right?

...I wish. It just leads to stairs back up that bring us to that conspicuous gap you probably immediately noticed on the map.

The one over here. That's stairs now. That's just a normal passage under the dark room for no reason. Well, maybe a sensible-ish reason in that you can skip part of the dark room but... it does nothing.

Well, at least there's slightly less doors down here? Doesn't mean I have to like it mind.

We'll start off with the right most descent and go left from there I suppose.

It doesn't start off particularly exciting, but at least a Magic Incense is something different.

Well, no it isn't. It just feels like it at this point.

So, how about this one, then? I'm sure this'll give us something worthwhile.

...Oh. I guess not. Just more AC II fixed forma. I suppose this isn't all that bad since it lets us make Mamudo St-- no wait that's base AC Forite, never mind.

So, this is the last staircase. This HAS to be the right way to go.

Unless I somehow missed a hidden door. But this is Fornax and that's not this part of the sector's gimmick so I highly doubt it!

Also, uh, we have the entire floor mapped out now so I definitely haven't.

Plus as soon as we go down that staircase, this happens. You'd think it'd happen when we entered the floor, regardless of where it was. But at least it's being consistent with itself rather than, uh, every other sector.

Just to make it really blatant, there is a healing spot and a terminal right away too.

Past a one-way door, we get a Moon Mirror. This is a Rare Forma of course, and it's a mirror with a celestial body name. This is definitely what we were missing earlier. That door's one-way so we can't just warp out right now. Guess we gotta walk all the way around and then we'll eventua--

In The Master's Name

...Wait, why is Horkos here?

Buoooooono! I found you, human!
You haven't forgotten the day you slayed me, have you!?
I, Horkos, will return the favor in my true form!

You will be the next sent to the land of the dead!
I can see it now! The way you squirm as you face your fate!
You humans drowned in civilization and came to enjoy yourselves too much.
That is why you fear death so! You cry that you may not lose your pleasures!
Humans breathe their last, unable to gracefully accept death like their ancestors! Fools... Muahaha!
Tremble in the face of death!
I'm not afraid to die.
You put on a brave face, but is that what you really think...?

Now comes the time to unleash the power I collected as Horkos!
I will not stop until I have sipped on a chalice of your blood!

Reaper Orcus

Vehement Rage

Eridanus was the representation of Pride due to the belief that we could escape, the Schwarzwelt could be destroyed, that Ouroboros was an unbreakable cycle. Hubris bit hard and all came crashing down in rapid succession: Ouroboros' revival was easily stopped by killing a few trash demons, the Schwarzwelt did not let us even come close to leaving, the computer simulations were wrong and nuclear warheads could not destroy the Schwarzwelt...

As far as the refights go, Orcus may be the least interesting so far. And, yes, I am including Moloch who has the novelty of coming almost literally out of nowhere and being a surprise.

He's still weak to both Fire AND Elec, he barely has more HP than he did before (2400 now vs 1800 previously), his only resistance change is adding Ice. I don't think he has any new moves or anything either.

Oh, but he HAS gained some degree of intelligence and will Dekunda or Dekaja whenever he wants. If he wants to waste a turn getting rid of a -1 then good for him. Keep doing that, Orcus.

He's aligned to the right of the screen because he spawns in Katakirauwa, of course. She's level 44 now, for all the nothing that matters. Still completely normal otherwise.

Orcus CAN still do like Air Dive when low on HP and all, but that's it.

He... gives a surprisingly decent amount of Macca and EXP, though I'm sure the Katakirauwa spawns affect this some as well.

End

In The Master's Name

I will wait for you... in Hell...
I'll have your coffin waiting!

> Orcus disappeared.

Crisis

All hands are to return to the Red Sprite.

They caught Jimenez!?
No...! Oh, I knew it would be dangerous for him to keep watch by himself!
We are leaving this sector for Jack's Squad HQ to rescue Crewman Jimenez.
I say again: all hands, return to the Red Sprite.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 15, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I honestly thought this bit was next sector, though my memory is slowly clearing up now.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Goddammit, I was hoping running off to be a spy would take Jimenez out of the story for a while. Thanks for nothing, jackass.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Based on area names, I predict that the final area we go to will be Indus.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

Based on area names, I predict that the final area we go to will be Indus.

I wonder if anybody could stand nine whole dungeons worth of this game though, even the fans.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Anime Reference posted:

Goddammit, I was hoping running off to be a spy would take Jimenez out of the story for a while. Thanks for nothing, jackass.

I give him a 50% chance to have joined up with Jack's Squad and 50% chance he'll escape by fusing with Bugaboo. Because Jimenez is just awful and the Chaos guy always fuses with a demon.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

SweaterGear posted:

I give him a 50% chance to have joined up with Jack's Squad and 50% chance he'll escape by fusing with Bugaboo. Because Jimenez is just awful and the Chaos guy always fuses with a demon.

Dude, that's not even -subtle-. OF COURSE he joins Jack's Squ- oh who am I kidding. Well, besides myself obviously :v:

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

Dragonatrix posted:

They totally went with this design because he looks like a giant furnace and this is Fornax and all. I bet you that's the entire reason why.

Moloch was worshiped in Canaan, according to Wikipedia, and is now best known for the reputed child-sacrifices made in its name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch

The design used in this game is really close to the image on wikipedia from an 18th century artist's depiction. Specifically, the children were burned; the base of the statue was heated like an oven, which got the upper metal statue extremely hot. Or they were chucked in the oven itself. (Or all this child sacrifice was Roman propaganda against the Carthaginians, and the bit about passing through the flames of Moloch was a purification ritual.)

Moloch is mentioned in a number of classic literature pieces, including Paradise Lost.

I remember him though from Fritz Lang's Metropolis; the main character has a work-haze induced dream where he sees people being sacrificed to the furnaces of industry, the gaping maw of Moloch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Crisis

They used us while they could, and the instant we become useless to them, they turn on us!
You're being a little hasty there. We need to calm down.

What's the situation, Arthur?
We have received a signal from Crewman Jimenez. It seems he left his watch position without explanation.
They captured him to shut him up!

The likelihood of his capture by Jack's squad is high.
If we could communicate with them, we could easily settle this, but as usual our hails are unanswered. We must investigate directly.

If only he'd thought it through a little more carefully...
A bit harsh, isn't it, Zelenin!? Jimenez was right all along! We couldn't ignore what Jack's squad was doing!
On the other hand... there's no denying we're in a worse situation as a result.

Hey! We're getting a communique! It's from the Lightning! Jack's squad has contacted us!
What!? Really!?
Put it though to the main viewscreen.

I thought we had an understanding not to interfere with one another.
But you've gone back on your word. You've infringed on the agreement; violated our contract.

Hey, wait! We don't even know what happened! What did you do with Jimenez!?
Playing dumb, eh? If you insist... I'll spell it out for you. Your crewman, Jimenez...

It's difficult to classify this undermining of our operations as anything other than a hostile act.
Jimenez! Sabotage!? He was acting on his own!
Whatever his motives, it was unquestionably sabotage.

We were quick to regain control of the situation, so there were no unrecoverable losses...
But if we had noticed it only minutes later, the damage would have been severe.

He was even using his own demons to help! If they'd started a riot, who can say what might've happened!?
Your "experimental materials" were... demons!? You were using demons in experiments!?

It's like a mirror-Bootes or something. Isn't it Ironic?

No. No, it's not.

What did you hope to accomplish!?

We're simply doing our utmost to effect our business plan. There's certainly no reason you should interfere.
That dumbass Jimenez...

He put all our lives in danger, and believe you me, he's gonna pay.
You're going to use Jimenez in an experiment!? You can't be serious! He's a human! You can't experiment on humans!

I have no intention of forgiving him for what he's done. Our research team is top-hole. I'm sure he'll be put to good use.

Oh. THAT'S why Jack always comes off as condescending and sarcastic. He's probably meant to be British; I can tell because top-hole is semi-antiquated British slang.

god loving dammit

Stop it! Give Jimenez back! What do you want from us!?
Nothing, save for thorough severance of relations. I believe you've underestimated us.
Did you think the Schwarzwelt was safe enough that you could enter half prepared?

Remember that, and say goodbye to your friend.

I can't raise them again...!

Humans, demons, it's all the same to them! What's going to happen to Jimenez!?
What I want to know is why the hell Jimenez snuck in!
Maybe he found out about the experiments and tried to put a stop to them...?
If that's what happened, he should have contacted us first!
...What should we do, Arthur? Are we going to have to abandon Jimenez?

It is not entirely impossible to infiltrate the Lightning.
The Lightning would most likely have to use most of its energy to support this space-time location.

There should be little preventing the Red Sprite from landing at their base.
If there's a chance... we could give it a shot... The question is, can we beat them?
What makes you think they'll stop with Jimenez?

Their actions are beginning to pose a threat to our team.
In that light, it would be dangerous to ignore the situation.
They're using demons not because they have to, but for business purposes... Have they no shame...?
Same co-ordinates as last time, Arthur?

Acknowledged. We should always be alert. Begin the journey to Jack's Squad HQ...

This time it just happens, unceremoniously. No FMV or anything. Not complaining. Definitely not complaining!

The Red Sprite has landed safely. Our infilration into Jack's Squad HQ is complete.
Well, they're not attacking yet... Guess they're waiting to see what we do first.
Okay, so far we were right on the mark with our predictions. Now to figure out how we get into their base...

Through their easily accessible, barely guarded front door?

Exercise every available method to save Crewman Jimenez.
I am issuing a new official mission, designated "Save Crewman Jimenez."
Keep in mind the possibility that Jack's squad is carrying advanced technology.
Should you deem it necessary, destroy any equipment you find.

...Why destroy and not procure?

I look forward to the successful completion of your mission.

Prayer

We'll dive into Jack's Squad HQ in a moment, but first we have to do the usual.

The Joint Project, meaning us, are here for the sake of mankind. They're just opportunists out to make a quick buck.
And we always knew that! I was a fool to believe them even for a second!

Well, there's no going back now. Just do your best out there.
Seeing humans fight each other in a place like this makes me ill...

It's all about money, deep down, isn't it?
Humans at war over money... Hasn't there been enough of that kind of thing in our world?
Bringing that nonsense into the Schwarzwelt... The demons must be laughing at our stupidity.

But Jimenez isn't stupid. He's a professional mercenary. He'd never do something like that.
There must have been some sort of accident... I don't see any other explanation.

Since we have the Moon Mirror now, we can give both mirrors to Irving and Chen. This should net us what we're getting from this

...Or not. Great. I guess the last forma is past that invisible rear end in a top hat and will trigger Asura's fight. I have basic pattern recognition!

I also have some new things in the store. They're mostly awful! The Alacrity Ring is +4 Agility. Agility is the worst of the 5 stats because its the least important and relevant and that makes this the third worst stat boosting ring type (HP and MP edge it out of course). AC Forite x2, Haunt Jacket x2 (Strigoii) and Raptor Ulna x2 (Gurr) can be used better elsewhere.

This technically counts, but only just. Fitness is +4 Vitality. AC Forite x2, Fallen Star x2 (Ose) and Femme Ruler x2 (Lachesis) for this one.

Actual items are better. Like Bead Chains. Bead Chains are great! Nectar Core X x1 and Miracle Core x4 per Chain, and it's really worth it. 10,000 Macca a piece isn't even that much in practice, since Genma Jars from Eridanus sell for 8000 each and Enigma Spheres off of Kinmamon are 9000, for example...

And, yeah, we now have unlocked both Amritas. I thought I had the Soda already but apparently not.

Soda is Nectar Core X x1 and Rising Core x3.
Shower is Nectar Core X x2, Rising Core x2 and Recovery Core x5.

Personally I don't stock up on these too often, but that's mostly because I'm a reckless weirdo. It seems to work out well, so I don't see any reason to change now.

Grr... That's... That's just no way for a man to act! He's spittin' in the face o' technology itself!
I wish I could go in and sock 'em all in the kisser!
...But I guess that's a job for the strike team. Go on, boys... Raise some hell for ol' Irving.

Though what with being cooped up in this lab all the time, I don't know much about negotiation.
So I'll just leave it to you. I know you'll pull us out of all this, Hitonari.

I can't believe that smell I found so odious on Earth is present here in the Schwarzwelt, too...
I can't let this go on. Let's go quash it at the source.

Well, let's go see if we can't bail Jimenez out of this fresh mess. This is only the second time we've had to rescue him now; one more and we win a brand new doormat.

Crisis

> The soldier pointed his gun at you!

I was getting tired of shooting demons! But killing humans... My trigger finger's getting itchy!
Hm...? Hmmm... Do I have permission to kill...?
I remember the Captain telling me to avoid conflict... Nah, I'm overthinking this!
I just gotta tell him it was in self-defense!

I've been waiting for this!

So, Jack's Squad is really unimpressive! They're normal people, so they don't have any interesting or unique resistances. They're just immune to Expel and Curse and neutral to everything else.

They don't even have any skills or anything. Not really. They can do a basic attack that... is Physical elemental. Despite how they're, y'know, wielding guns. Just go with it.

Also they give dick all EXP, no Macca and don't drop anything (we can't loot their pockets? really?).

Crisis

Though it was unforseen, you have engaged Jack's squad. Continue the mission with caution.

A Rotten Nation

Yeah, yeah, so we can actually enter and explore Jack's Squad HQ now. There's a terminal right by the entrance for some reason; there's a healing spot at the opposite side of the door, naturally.

Next to the terminal, there's a room that's mostly empty. It has this dude in it though.

I don't know what you're doing here, but it stops now!

Sergeants are completely identical to Soldiers save for having more HP, dealing slightly more/taking slightly less damage and being 3 levels higher.

Since everyone here lacks skills at all in any meaningful way, these guys are good ones to pop Mirrors for. They can't exactly do anything about it, which is a rarity.

A Rotten Nation

But you're no threat, not with those pathetic powers.
I'm done with this demon. I'll let it free...

> The squad member fell to the ground.

Y'know, if they actually used demons, Jack's Squad would be way bigger threats just by default. As is, they're boring voids of anything particularly noteworthy.

So let's kick it up a notch and bring one of the Four Horsemen who's getting Shiwanna's source purely so he can resist Phys and Gun. Remember, that Wind weakness is actually a Neutral for all intents and purposes now.

And he's immune to all ailments ('cept Rage), which would be nice but uh you've seen Jack's Squad. That's not a concern here.

The Fear of God

So, what about the randoms? Uhh... I, uh, they sure are a thing. The random demons here pull a selection from every Sector (presumably because that's literally what the squad did in the first place). They get paired in ways that don't even begin to make sense, but at least its consistent with what little we could ascertain about what's the squad have been up to.

There is technically some new things here, I guess? They're from later in Fornax though. Catoblepas is basically Grendel again, but simultaneously better and worse. He only resists Phys, he's weak to Expel, is 300% weak to every ailment except Rage and Sleep and the latter is a normal 200% weakness.

Every ailment, yes. Even Petrify. The one he throws around the most. The one his source gives both skills for. The one that's half his default skill list (Staredown is the other half for Fear). His basic attack even has a 3% chance to Petrify. And he's weak to his own gimmick.

Good job, Catoblepas.

Sorrow

> Mutilated demons are yelling from inside the tanks...

...You want my power that much? You want it so much you don't mind cutting me up...? This pain... This humiliation! I should have killed you on the spot when I met you!

Give them back... Give them back... My hands... My feet... Give them back to me...

...I'm angry, but I see now... Why God cursed the humans... They're unsalvageable! Their wretched souls are stuck deep inside their bodies!

That rage will power our new weapon! The useful demons will become stronger, and the ones who aren't will become spare parts!
Now THIS is science! The fusion of technology and demons!

What is security doing, letting you in here!? Dammit! You'll be the first test of our new weapon!

Spoiler alert: they do nothing new. They're the same as they are in every other possible encounter.

Oh and when I said they're neutral to everything except Expel and Curse, yeah. I mean it. Everything.

Sorrow

Kill each other! Kill each other! Kill each other without end... Until you die, we shall be at your heels...

> It's the switch to the cultivation tanks.

Honestly, I think turning them off will be doing the shattered, broken remnants of demons a huge favour.

> The demons in the cultivation tanks fell silent.

A Rotten Nation

So, above that room there's an empty room here with this hidden door.

It's guarding this Rare Forma. This forma would be very nice if it came, oh I don't know, about 35 minutes earlier.

Following the path around, we can find the Lightning just hanging out here. We can't get into it though, but it's marked on our map now at least.

...Thanks, Jack. It IS 125% HP restoration so I'm not exactly knocking it, but...

And last, right by the entrance, we have stairs going down. This is the entire first floor of the HQ done and dusted. Yes, really.

Really. There isn't much to this place in terms of dungeon, as you may have noticed.

On B1F, there is only one immediately visible door and it doesn't open. We need a password. Hrm. If you missed something on 1F, you might think its there.

Naturally, it isn't; there's a hidden door over here.

I don't think I mentioned it before, and this should be obvious anyway but... Frag Grenades key off Strength and not Magic to do their damage. They're honestly way better than they seem, considering how early you can buy them and all.

Chaos Theme

I find human conflict to be most interesting. It makes no concessions to time or place.
You place your fragile life and your desperate mission o the scales...
It impresses me to watch you fight as your heart wavers between the two ends of that scale.
It's a show very much worth directing.

You should be there to see it transpire. As his friend.
We shall meet again, I think. Oh, and I had something else to tell you.

It is most likely for that purpose that humans exist...

So, that just happened. Anyway, where exactly were we?

A Rotten Nation

...Oh, right. Jack's Squad HQ has one dark room. It's a corridor. It has one random alcove because gently caress you for trying to map this before the backend of an NG+ playthrough. Although it's really bad at that, considering Jack's Squad HQ is the most blatantly obvious perfectly symmetrical area we've seen to date.

Easy to miss pair of Beads here. Doesn't really matter too much if you're not after the map stuff though; we've been able to buy 'em for a while and all.

The bottom-most door over on the left nets some Nerve Gas. This is also honestly pretty good. Could buy a ton, I guess, but ehh this'll do.

I'm just a scientist! I'm not looking for a fight...!
I'll tell you anything you want. Please don't hurt me!
Where's Jimenez?

I-I don't know the code, though.
C'mon, I told you all this. Please let me go!

The lab is a red herring. It doesn't give us anything of interest or worthwhile.

Huh? If I'm a scientist, I should know the passcode?
Oh...! ...... All right, I lied! Forgive me!

Well, that was easy enough.

So, what's behind this locked door, then? We can tell that it's not much, but...

Sorrow

You'd figure it'd work with a human and demon whose souls are on the same wavelength...
Putos! You better hope this experiment kills me, 'cause if it doesn't, you're dead men!
B... Boo... Buga b... boo...
*sigh* That demon looks like it's on its last legs already.
C'mon, you're a demon! You were only hit with the magnetic field five or six times.
Get angry! Get worked up! Geez...
Ngbu...! Boooooooooo...!
Stop it! You stop that NOW!

I'll toss you one by one into a crowd of hungry demons!
Geez, do you never shut up? Did you already forget how much I can make you suffer?
Yell your lungs out if you want, but once this experiment succeeds, you belong to us!
You'll be a perfect demon soldier who obeys any order without a second thought!

You came for me...

That Demonica...! You're with the Red Sprite, aren't you!?
Is security asleep or something, letting you get all the way here!? You're ruining my fun!
Ugh... I'm in some deep poo poo here... I don't have anything to fight back with... Then... Then...
Aha...! I'll just do this!

B... Boo...
If this goes like it should, have fun killing your friend! Now it's time I got outta here...!

Well, that was easy. Now to just free Jimenez and Bugaboo and then we can leave. The Squad have all fled before our unstoppable might! :v:

Wait! You... Urgh!
Urrrrrgh...!

Well, let's be honest here. We can let this weird thing keep going until folks actually die for real... or we can just turn it off. Hmm, this is a difficult decision.

I can't let that happen... He saved my life!
Do me a favor, Tadano! This stupid machine isn't gonna work, they tried over and over!
Listen, you gotta use our--Aaargh! Ugghhhh.

That way he doesn't have to die...
Don't worry, Tadano! Believe me, I'm cursing them right now! I'm cursing 'em like a demon! Before that hatred cools...
Hurry and send me to the Demonica!

Thanks, Tadano...

So tonight on the Great Schwarzwelt Bake Off, we're going to try an experimental new recipe.

Take two cups of Jimenez...

Add a tablespoon of Bugaboo, with some light Agidyne for seasoning.

Mix well, and leave in the HereticManor.exe for about 30 seconds.

Fusion

PSA, do not add a Source and definitely don't attempt this during a Full Moon...

...Otherwise it'll all go horrifically wrong!

End

Silence

Chaos Theme

You're still alive...

Like I said, don't you worry about me. I did this of my own will.
I feel strong... with no pain. There's nothing wrong with me.
Now c'mon... let's go crush those vatos. Those punks who like to play with the lives of demons!

Alright, cool. We'll follow Jimenez to the Lightning in just a few moments. Gotta finish that map fir--

Oh, we've actually done it already. Guess we're off back to the Lightning, then!

Just you wait, Jack. I'm coming for you...
Stand back, Tadano.

> Jimenez walked toward the deck...

Rrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Just because we've had animation recently, doesn't mean it was sticking around. I know, it sucks.

*pant*... *pant*... I... did it...

Silence

...Let's go, Tadano. Right through here...
That's where we'll find the enemies of the investigative team... and of the demons...

> You infiltrated the Lightning alongside Jimenez...

In The Master's Name

Our base is devastated, we've sustained losses in equipment and manpower...
And to top of it all, our weapon development program has been thoroughly destroyed.
If our patrons learn how badly our plans were disrupted, I should think they'd be rather cross.
To back down here would blacken my squad's name as a business concern.

With everything you have...

The grudge engraved on my body...!
The grudge of the demons you have screwed with...!
That's the only payback you're getting!

It seems we still have a few kinks to work out in our fusion process.
To leave this defective product alive could endanger our reputation. I shall dispose of you!

These are my finest custom demons... They'll suck the marrow from your bones!

Rrrrraaaaaaagh! Let 'em try!

> Jimenez began fighting the demons!

There's the matter of revenge for my men you slaughtered, of course...
But in the end, a breakdown of business is war. Nations or corporations, there is little difference.
A vast array of armaments becomes a grand business asset. There's no liability in having one.
With this in my possession... I can crush what needs to be crushed and take what needs to be taken.

> Jack set his Demonica to battle mode.

A quick demonstration is in order!

Captain Jack

An Honor Befitting That Name

So, Jack is... way harder than all of his nameless goons. He's a lower level than some of them but he can kind of put up a fight! To you, personally, the person playing the game.

Jack himself has a small pool of moves but, uh...

Rain Strike is what he does for like all of his attacks. It's not his only attack, mind you, but it IS the best one he has and he spams it like crazy.

Rain Strike is a very powerful random NoH skill. It's 1-3 hits that are Gun elemental (hmmm...).

His only other attack is Sunset Melody. It's a fairly decent Almighty elemental attack that has a baked in Tarunda, but that's all. It would be more impressive if he didn't decide to finally use this when at -2 Attack (and White Rider and Cu Chulainn are at +4 defense...).

That there are two Pisaca makes this one of the rare few times that Bites the Dust CAN be theoretically dangerous.

Jack's AI seems to be pretty weird. If he's ever debuffed at all, regardless of stage, he has a chance to cast this. It's guaranteed at -4, of course.

Oddly enough, Pure Blue is a self-heal. That's a combination of Dekunda and Diarahan. It's possible to lock his AI down for a little while by casting, say, Debilitate and he'll respond pretty frequently with Pure Blue regardless of how much he'll heal. Jack is not very bright, no, but it's better than getting him low on HP and then whoops he heals 1999 out of his 2000!

Jack is not a demon, so we don't unlock him for fusion sadly. The plus side to this is that by being Human, he's neutral to like every ailment so you don't even really have to try to do fun things if you really want.

He does give okay EXP and a non-zero amount of Macca though. Better than his goons in every way, this Jack fellow.

End

In The Master's Name

I've... lost...!?
I'm sure your demons would rather die than protect scum like you...
Can't we... come to terms... isn't there... something I can do...?
You're learning, Jack.

Wh... What are you...?
But y'see, Jack, that's the thing...

It's over for you!
Jimenez, enough!
Stay outta this, Tadano!

Arrrrrrrrrrgh!

Nah... There was no stopping it.
The moment I took this form... Hee... Hee hee hee!

Wh... What's going to happen to us...!?
Well... With your commander dead... You'll need a new commander. Would that be you...?
Don't worry. Until there's no one to replace your commander...

What...!? Wait, wait...!
I'm not like the Captain... I'm more flexible... I'll help you!
Y-Yeah! That's right!

I know you guys are looking for Exotic Matter, right!?
Well, I'll help you! I-I mean... if you'll let me...!
P-Please, spare me...!
What a sad sack... There's not a single thing you believe in, huh? Why don't you try learning from the demons?
So long, Captain Ryan...!

Silence

Huh...!? What!?

That's just slaughter for its own sake.
...That an order?
I'm just doing what's right as a member of the investigative team.

I'll serve under you... It would be an honor! Just spare my life...
We won't kill you. But you must cooperate with our investigation.
...Getting in my way...

You go get some rest. We can take it from here.
Jimenez! Report to sickbay and get yourself examined!
I dunno what for. I feel perfectly fine, man. But... if you say so...

......Tadano. You did well on the mission.

One quick fade to black later...

Mission "Save Crewman Jimenez" is confirmed complete.
Gaining control of Jack's squad was an unexpected but ultimately favorable result.
We will keep them under close watch to control them. However, given the situation...

Our human resources would be better allocated to our main objective.
They were real pains in the rear end, but we can't just kill them... What should we do?
The simplest way to handle this is by disabling some of the Lightning's key systems.
We will strip Jack's squad of their ability to travel.

...I guess that's the best we can do.
Even so, a skeleton crew will remain to supervise Jack's squad.
Hey, Arthur, were we able to nab any of their tech?
We have made significant progress in that respect.

Your Demonicas will be updated to better support your search for the Exotic Matter.
So Ryan wasn't just lying to save his rear end!

I have one other item to report. We have received a rare forma from them.

Crewman Hitonari, please take this forma to the lab.

I don't think we need any reports to know that this is part of the set. It's a mirror, and its named after a celestial body. Sun/Moon/Star is a very common triad of things with that pattern, so this should be the last.

Now may be the best time to discuss this, since he's not here at the moment...

We may have rescued him from Jack's squad, but... he's not normal anymore.
Physically, he's on the verge of becoming a demon.

But he's one of us. I don't agree that we should treat him like a demon.
Maybe he went too far when he killed Jack, but that in the heat of battle.
Any of us might've done the same thing in his shoes.
And he's still lucid. Sure, he's got an attitude problem, but what else is new, right?

He seems so different than before! It's like... he's enjoying himself here now...

I told him to get some rest, but he looked like he was eager to go out and fight some more.
He's got a taste for blood... It gives me the chills.
But maybe we should let him rest and see what happens.

Us guys on the strike team use demons as allies, and I'd like to toss in my two cents.
Without the demons' power, we never would have made it this far.
Just because he's fused with a demon doesn't necessarily make him dangerous.

Whatever we decide, it should come from a human perspective.

You're the one who's worked the most closely with Jimenez. You understand him best, yes?
Should Jimenez be relieved?
Probably so.
I agree wholeheartedly.

If we pretend nothing is wrong with Jimenez, the team morale could go straight down the drain.

We will suspend any decisions until we gather sufficient data.
I would like to state for the record that I am not satisfied by this decision, but... Understood.

Once again, this just happens with no scene or anything. Once again, very appreciated.

Our current position is in sector Fornax.
So now we're back to where we were before the battle with Jack's squad.

Supposedly. But of course, no one knows where it'll take us... Personally, I'd prefer a plan that would lead us back to Earth.

You already know how hard it is to get around this place! We're doing everything we can!
Why don't YOU quit bitching and finish YOUR mission!? We're already late as it is!
What'd you say...!?

If we can't cooperate, we're sunk!
Stress is already running high. I ask that all hands take care not to disturb the peace.

Make use of the upgraded Demonica to carry out your mission.
Signs show that the demons who interfered with our search are lying in wait as well.
Do not let them catch you unawares as you proceed.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 15, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm mixed on demon Jimenez's design. It's simple and effective enough, but it also looks like he's just wearing the demon parts, rather than looking like they're a part of him.

That 'fusion accident' gif is pretty wonderful, by the way.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I can't help but love this line.

Also I recall having actual trouble with Jack way back when, but thankfully there's an easy way to deal with him that I'm sure will be coming up later...

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Is it just me or does Fornax look a lot like the Amala Network?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I hate every character in this game.

Except Irving. He's OK.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I seem to remember Jack being vulnerable to charm and exploiting that against him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jimenez is good.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Crappy characterization aside, I'm legitimately curious about the purported choices here.

1. Can you actually turn off the machine and kill Bugaboo there and stop the fusion?
2. With the fusion hazard, can the game continue like that with Jiminez effectively being dead there?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Keldulas posted:

Crappy characterization aside, I'm legitimately curious about the purported choices here.

1. Can you actually turn off the machine and kill Bugaboo there and stop the fusion?
2. With the fusion hazard, can the game continue like that with Jiminez effectively being dead there?

If you try to turn off the machine, Jimenez basically railroads you into fusing them together, as shown.

The fusion accident was sadly a non-canon joke.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Demon-Jimenez is absolutely going to do something horrible in the near future. He's a ticking time bomb and should not be on the ship anymore. Arthur doesn't want the crew to talk to the demons or interact with Tuxedo Gore, so why is a half demon allowed to be on board?

Also, following the SMT formula, I guess Zelanin is going to get angel powers next. That way the obvious bosses for Law and Chaos can show up and the player can make a "difficult moral choice" between them.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

SweaterGear posted:

Demon-Jimenez is absolutely going to do something horrible in the near future. He's a ticking time bomb and should not be on the ship anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. The alignment heroes never do anything really bad until after the route split, whenever that is. After all, they have to trick you into doing something stupid and siding with them.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Irving's probably Best Character in this game along with Arthur for things that...won't become apparent until one of the routes.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Blair's also pretty good as the "wise soldier" archetype. He seems to be consistently professional and intelligent, too.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Its really sad when the most likable characters are the static sidecast.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Prayer

Jimenez is at least half-demon, Jack is never coming back, generally awkward times all around. Hopefully folks are still holding up.

But what shocks me is the very possibility that humans and demons can fuse to begin with...
I don't get it...! This is way beyond what I thought possible...!
How do we even classify a fusion of the two races...?

Humans are supposed to fuse demons together... Not themselves...
Strange twist of fate.
So! We have a non-human on staff. Great. WHat's going to happen now...?

But I'm more interested in his new morphology, and how compatible his human and demon parts are...
Sad, isn't it? I'm a doctor to the core.
So... what's his body like, now that he's a demon...?
I wish I could get a good hands-on examination... EEGs, CAT scans, PET scans, real up close...
Heheheheheh...

Was he really just looking out for his demon, or did he want the power of demons for himself?
...It's not my place to speculate, but one thing's for sure.
Jimenez became a demon because he chose to. He made his decision.
Unlike me, who talks big, but never does anything...

Well, thid time's the charm, or so they say. I think we can upgrade yer Demonica.
Alright, Tadano. Give those forma here.

Ready to roll up yer sleeves, Chen? We got more ingredients than usual, but the procedure's the same.
Nice and slow... Let's do this right.

> Irving and Chen started working.

> ...
> ......

Here, lemme install it on yer Demonica for ya.

This does change a few things around in every Sector. It doesn't replace ES A though; it stacks with it. When generating an ES demon it has a 50% chance to draw from the ES A pool and a 50% chance to draw from the ES B pool. Antlia gets the second best deal from this, really; it gets Fornax's ES demons added to its pool which is pretty cool. Bootes gets King Frost and Futotama added, both turning up solo. Carina, Delphinus and Eridanus just get modified spawn rates for everything. The best thing that happens with ES B is that Fiend rates across the board are now a 5% chance in total which is a massive boost really.

But hey, we grabbed this from the HQ and it's nice but... would've been nicer if we didn't need to have done more than half of Fornax just to get to it.

Because it lets you have the VR overlay thing for the Red Dark Rooms now.

Sure would have been useful if we didn't need to go though the dark room hell just to get part of the way to it!

Anyway, yeah, JSHQ didn't give us anything new in the shop. Are you surprised? Yes? No, you're not stop lying.

I thought I was tough, but if someone told me to do the same thing... I dunno if I could.
Well, anyhoo... I'm glad the fusion went off okay.

Going through an experiment like that without any idea of the proper procedures... That's not science!
And yet... given that it was a success despite that, it may in fact be a great achievement.
Although I can't imagine who but Jimenez would be reckless enough to try it a second time.

But there's no doubt that he made his decision to become more powerful.
Rather than be the demons' master, he chose to be closer to them... to be one of them.
And there's no telling what that choice might lead to...

Alright, so back to Fornax we go. Gonna drill down that middle path until we get back to the 5th floor. There's a rude jerk of an invisible demon here and we just got Enemy Search B, so...

In The Master's Name

You found me! Then I'll beat you by force...!

So the Formless' palette swap big brother is.... kinda really boring, not gonna lie. Not even strong or noteworthy enough to warrant a video. Just... think about that for a second.

I mean, sure, it can use Asura Roga which is a nice surprise and something I forgot entirely. It's only a very minor inconvenience because I have the Cursed Sarai equipped.

Also it casts Maragion. Good job, dude. Keep on trying.

It's immune to Expel and Curse and has no other weakness or resistance of note. It almost certainly resists ailments in some way but it's weak as hell so totally irrelevant.

In The Master's Name

I shall return to my body...

Tadano. Do not let this brief moment of victory go to your head!

"Brief moment"? Anyway, yes, good advice. Don't fall to Pride that you already conquered. That'd just be embarassing!

Just past there, we can get to a door that leads to the stairs down. Weird that it tells us this here and not actually on B6F, huh?

So, let's take a minute to finally drop in how I've been doing Wacky Effortless Things for a while. If you take two Primes Elements and fuse them together, you get a Mitama race demon. There are only 4 of them and they are made via different fusion rules to normal. Rather than level based, it's entirely component based.

Don't ever use a Source on a Mitama. Just... don't. It's not worth it.

They're exclusively designed for Fusion material (their Sources are even all kind of awful but Base Kusi has the best because he'll Bonus skill either Charge or Concentrate). Using them does not give you a new demon. It gives you the other demon you fused it with but with a stat boost of +2 in one stat and +1 in another; these boosts cap at +8 in total. Most of the time, this fusion won't change skills because there'll be no empty slots. The real reason to bother with doing this is to add a Source to give new skills and change things around.

The stat boost is honestly not a big deal at all. The skill swap is what makes this a Very Important Thing To Remember. Just... keep it in mind. We'll get back to this twice in the future. For now, it's just a thing I do off-screen. A lot.

Silence

I'll not let you reach the Goddess Tiamat who birthed us!

In The Master's Name

Asura is really boring here. He just warps in during a screen flash. No breaking walls or cool entrances or anything. Laaaaaaame.

The true power of Asura...

We demons are journeying to the Earth yearning for itself.
To annihilate the humans, those defilers of soil and destroyers of lives.
The power of demons, of destruction, is necessary to restore power to the land.
And not only demons... If there are those within your brood who carry that noble seed within them...

It is the beautiful power of destruction we need to restore the Earth!
Demons and the chosen humans shall reclaim the Earth's true nature!
Destruction will rejuvenate Earth!
I won't let you.
Unsightly power... unsightly spirit.. You spit words that change nothing.
Your mere eistence is anathema. You shall not escape. In this land ruled by the Goddess Tiamat...
You shall return to a mere seed!

Lady Asherah

Vehement Rage

So, Asherah is... not going to buck the trend of the pseudo-refights being disappointing and simple.

Surprising hopefully no one, she opens the fight by using Asura Roga.

In terms of changes, she drops Maragidyne. For Maragion.

Asherah what are you doing? That's arguably worse than what Mithra did!

She kind of tries and fails to make up for it by casting Ashura and Black Flame whenever she wants instead of when low on HP but uhh... that's it.

She's still weak to Ice, still resists Gun, still reflects Wind and Fire. Her added resistance is for Electricity. I guess just to round those out even though it's kind of irrelevant.

As a complement to Eridanus's Superbia, Fornax is the inevitable Vanagloria. Moloch, Mithras, Orcus and Asherah were deluded. They believe that because they're wreathed in a different guise things would go differently. They were under the misguided impression that their own weakness was the result of their environment when it was their own lack of skill and strength in the first place. Their "true" states of being are essentially completely identical to their previous form save for one minor change and are in some ways actively worse than when they were being "held back".

End

In The Master's Name

Tiamat... Mother... A fearsome human... draws near...

Silence

Your destiny is now fixed... To be punished by me...
Your body, your spirit...
I shall crush you...

> You can no longer hear the voice.

I have verified your victory over the demon Asherah.
Mission "Defeat the Three Demons" is confirmed complete.

She will be powerful. Remember to prepare yourself before you engage her.

Yeah, yeah, we'll be fine. Anyway, immediate crossroad so we'll take the left path and get to a wonderful deadend. I could have sworn there was a hidden door here but there isn't. Thanks, Fornax.

Also real quick, now that we've hit level 51 let's talk about a password that Atlus gave out. This is the first one we'll be seeing in this run, though there are some... very special ones for low-level demons.

This one gives Ishtar. Ishtar can only be gotten via this password. She's... kind of not very good at face value. Amrita is okay, Silent Prayer is very nice but a double-edged sword and Invitation is a Summon Stone. Normally Invitation isn't obtainable until level 73 so, uh, yeah.

Resistances are exactly how they look, boringly enough. Although her Source is an insanely early way to get Drain Wind (the only other Source with it is Norn's...) so there's that?

Because we can't do anything special with her by default, there's only one way to make her actually good and that is by Mitamaing her. I'm not stopping here, of course; I'm gonna add a few more things and then spend Way Too Much macca so I can keep these sources when I'm done.

The Fear of God

The area past the spot where the Strange Demon was guarding has some new demons. After Asherah, they become much more common so we'll deal with them here.

Throne I can't complain too much about. He's a pretty solid Divine, and spent a while on our roster. Nothing secret under the hood here, but he's pretty decent in general.

Taotie is REALLY ABSURDLY GOOD. Like, holy poo poo. Those Weaknesses are all base damage, so they're secretly just Neutrals so they're exclusively for co-ops, so feel free to ignore them. Immune to Phys, Gun and Expel. Comes with Tyranny and Void Nerve (immunity to Petrification, Paralysis, Bomb and Poison). Bomb Knuckle is an ST phys skill that has a chance to inflict Bomb of course; Taotie might just be the single most deadly Bomb user because the enemy version almost exclusively uses Bomb Knuckle and absolutely nothing else.

Alraune is really, thoroughly eh. She has no resistances. Like, at all. Her ailment resists are 100% across the board... except Charm. Charm is a 300% weakness. The one thing she can do is the one thing that cripples her the most. Good job, Alraune. The usable version has Watchful and her source gives Vigilant which is... something, I guess.

And there's a Nocturne boss fight just hanging out as a regular ol' normal random encounter.

Atropos is pretty good at doing the whole cutting your string of fate, thing. She has 3 ways of kiling you dead. As an added bonus, she's immune to Sleep because Eternal Rest exists so she can't be instant killed outside of things like Waking Dream.

Ad, uh, you can guess how often that one's going to come up again.

Following the other path brings us to this dark room. The last one in Fornax and one that's teeny tiny!

Because of course it is. Red dark rooms are apparently antifun. Now that we CAN see in them, it gives us such a softball that it might as well not even matter.

Da Peng is the only new enemy in the dark room down here. He has Magarudyne, nulls Wind in kind and is only weak to Guns. No ailment resistances or weaknesses. Has a tendency to come in packs of 3. That's about it.

The other two doors up top are ones we'll come to later, don't worry. The door on the right leads to an empty dead end and bottom brings us to a phase shifter.

Fornax: it uses every single dungeon gimmick exactly once. Well, except teleporters. Haven't had any of those, huh.

So, the Sanctum is kind of small but also very, very important. The three doors up-top just all lead to the same area this time so that's disapointing but whatever.

There's a pair of Megido Stones over to the side which might prove useful sometime I guess, maybe.

Over on the right we have this Gate Search door. This door is Very Important, so I made extra-special double sure to open it!

New demons? Eh, there's two. Well, just Decarabia now but Catoblepas kind of technically counts as well sort of I guess.

Decarabia's immune to Curse, weak to Gun, has a flat 100% resist for all ailments and can only cast Megido and Tetrakarn. He likes the latter a lot, yes.

South of the gate search door, and a very short walk from the Phase Shifter we have a return to the normal area of Fornax. The Phase Shift area is really not that big, no.

Over on the left side, there's a hidden door here. This one is also quite important though not for the same reasons as the other one.

Right now, it just lets us get DF II for the first time somehow, in a fixed spawn. That's nice of it.

We could go down the stairs now, but there were a few areas that we can do something else with first...

Returning back to the Original Space and heading through the top-left door lets us look around back to the stairs.

This is solely just there to let you get these 3 AT IIs and for map complexion, of course.

The other hidden door we opened lets you get this. Full MP to everyone. This is the earliest you can get one, and we won't get others easily for a little while.

NOW we can head on down to the 7th floor.

Immediately get told about a boss up ahead. Gee, I wonder who that is...

Anyway, there's an Enemy Search right by the entrance and the ES B does give A new thing to Fornax. Hopefully this'll be i--

Oh. I mean, I guess that works but it's not what I wanted. I will gladly take those scales again but that's it.

Going up and down the stairs a bunch got Hanuman to spawn at last. Kinmamon is the only thing from ES A outside of Black Rider, and the same applies to Hanuman for B. He has a 60% chance of spawning solo, and a 32% chance of appearing with a Da Peng buddy. This isn't taking into account the 50/50 split of what Enemy Search gets used in the first place of course.

He's resist to Phys (but not Gun) and Curse, and immune to Expel and weak to Wind. He has Retaliate just to deter you from shooting him and he has Endure so he survives with 1HP when he should otherwise die.

He has no ailment resist though, and Endure can't do poo poo about Petrify so uh whoops.

The 7th floor is, bringing us back to Fornax's MO of being boring as dirt, mostly a straight line right to the boss. There's a terminal and a heal spot by the stairs, and this Chimera hangs out here but that's it.

Nothing else here at all. How... Fornax of it.

So, let's just head on into that big room at the end where the "!" on the in-game map is.

In The Master's Name

Destruction... to the cursed humans who defeated my demons...

And then... give us shape once more...!

Ahh... Patience... Your wish will soon be granted...

Tiamat! Goddess! Death to the humans...!

We demons have slept as seeds in this land unknown to humans...
Over time, we lay dormant.

The dark thoughts of humanity flowed to this land, giving us shape... giving us power...
We are the seeds who slept below the soil of this land.
But we were not meant to sleep eternally...

Now, our buds begin to open...!

Death to the humans! May demons reign!

Faster than the humans can fill the land...
Faster than the humans can destroy the planet...
I shall give birth to demons to keep them in check!
So long as this land is abundant with seeds, I will birth an endless orchard of demons!

Suddenly, boss fight starts! Yeah, no alignment dialogue choice this time.

Drake Tiamat

Vehement Rage

Tiamat is a Mesopotamian goddess of the ocean. She does indeed give birth to a bunch of other gods, as one of her main roles which is a really weird thing to carry over here and make plot relevant.

I can kind of see Tiamat being a bit of a difficulty spike, in a way. Ouroboros' main difficulty came from randomly giving you a game over with there being very little you can do about it and then Fornax is so simple that it's harder to not faceroll.

Then Tiamat actually kind of, like, does things. Black Rider is still the biggest threat we've fought though.

Mother Earth is probably her most special attack but if you use the Hardwired it's not that big of a threat. What makes it marginally more annoying than "some Ice damage" is that she heals about half the damage it does. Kind of like Horkus/Orcus but multitarget so it's less poo poo about it.

Like Jack, she can also cast Pure Blue. Unlike Jack, there are three things that make her do this:

1. You debuff her to -4 in anything;
2. You cast/queue up Silent Prayer;
3. She just feels like it.

Somewhere in the region of Everything On The Internet says that 1 is the only thing that makes it happen. They're wrong.

On the flip side, if you buff to +4 there is dickall she can do about it. Well, there is one thing.

She can cast Sunset Melody, also like Jack did. That's it. That's all she can do to debuff you in any way. Good job, Tiamat.

Anyway, Tiamat likes Ice spells. A lot.

This is why the Hardwired is a good armor for this sector. She drains Ice at 200% its normal rate, so don't do it! Immune to Fire, resists Gun but she's weak to Elec, at least.

Since she uses almost nothing but spells, popping a Magic Mirror might be a good idea right? Ahahahahaha.

Ahahahahahaha.

She responds by dropping all pretenses and immediately casting Diarahan. Not Pure Blue, just flat Diarahan to really rub it in your face. She is not the first boss to just throw a gently caress you out there if you try this; she won't be the last either.

My first playthrough, she's also the boss where I learned that Fear is ludicrously good. I got a Tyranny proc in turn 1 and she just proceeded to sit there the entire fight and do nothing. That was fun, albeit bizarrely lucky considering she has 4500HP to cut through.

...Oh and she gives bonkers EXP. Decent macca for one fight, as well. Balm of Rising is nice I suppose.

End

In The Master's Name

It will not be... just me... Soon... your life... your spirit...
...will... per...ish....

I see you have recovered the Exotic Matter from Tiamat.
Mission "Fornax's Exotic Matter" is confirmed complete.
Return to the ship immediately.

There must be an innumerable amount of demons sleeping here.
Some of them would no doubt be beyond our comprehension...
We can't just leave this be...

> You can feel a presence...

Silence

Now... The flow of air shall shift... as will my destination...
Ahh, who am I...? And what awaits me...?

> Gore disappeared somehere...

No purpose, no destination... I feel sorry for him, but there's nothing we can do...

Well done, Crewman Hitonari.
I will send this to Engineering. We will begin preparations to travel to the next sector immediately.

So this is the second Exotic Matter...
It's just like Arthur said. We're making progress, and that's a good thing, but...

We may have some hope, but on the other hand... those monsters might just be toying with us.

Who knows how long it'll take us to get there...

Well, there you go, Arthur. It's all up to you.
Some situation... Is moving into the unknown all we can do...?
So, Arthur, how do we get to the next sector?

We will enter the new sector using a continuous jump.
I hope those three life forms don't get in the way this time.
Drive safely, now.
Fornax was teeming with all kinds of demons...
I suppose the next sector will have even more powerful demons, yes?
Before we move to the next sector, I have two items to report.
First, about Crewman Jimenez...

If it is deemed necessary, we will put him in cold sleep.
Jimenez has been begging to return to his duties, but...

We can't have him run in and get captured again like he did at Jack's Squad HQ...
About that...

He didn't just up and decide to go in himself.
Of course, that's all spilled milk now...
Fate dealt him a funny hand, I guess.

As a result, we may gain some sort of technological advance from them in the near future.
We receive regular reports on the materials and demons they collect.

That concludes the report.
Let us begin preparations to move to the next sector. We must begin searching for more Exotic Matter.
All hands, to your designated positions...

Now we get a repeat of the Vanishing Point cutscene. Yay...

The new Exotic Matter has led us through the Vanishing Point to a previously unreachable area.
We have safely landed in a new sector.
All hands, prepare to begin this sector's mission. Monitors, report on field conditions.

Grus is, of course, named after a bird; if you've ever played Zelda: Skyward Sword you sure didn't me to tell you that one. It actually means crane, though; the latin name for the common Crane is even Grus Grus. The constellation itself is in the southern hemisphere and is one of the Southern Birds as a result. As an added bonus, it used to be called the Flamingo (albeit in latin still, yes).

...The Schwarzwelt's Grus is either my least favourite or second least favourite sector, depending on how well it stacks up to Fornax this time.

Monitors here! Setting up the outside camera feed!

Fear

Hey... I recognize this place...!

Can't be. It's too blue and there's not enough planes bombing things in the background.

It does look like it, but...
It's not quite the same as Antlia, is it? Wasn't Antlia burning more?
There's no way this can be Antlia.
Our space-time coordinates are nowhere near there.
We've just confirmed some strange readings.
It's bad enough this place looks like Antlia, but there's more...

You mean just like Literally Every Sector before now? Grus will have things that aren't just lazy palette swapped reused assets? Be still, my beating heart.

So basically, while there'll be pockets that look like Antlia...
There'll also be areas that look completely different.
The whole thing's like a giant mosaic...

Take caution while carrying out your duties.

The materialization progression is relatively advanced at our LZ.
This sector smells all kinds of suspicious, but not much would surprise me anymore.
We have a job to do, same as ever.
Have we confirmed our target? Is there Exotic Matter here?

It's as if we're marionettes on a string.
Perhaps we were crazy to think we could escape...
Everyone knows already. Please don't say anything to stir up anxiety, Zelenin.

...I'm sorry. I spoke out of turn.
But I wasn't simply voicing my frustration... I'm thinking there must be some other way...
As the Command Unit, I propose that the search for Exotic Matter remains our chief priority.

I posit a theory: Mem Aleph is believed to be the core of the Schwarzwelt.

Destroy the Schwarzwelt...?
Is that possible? We've already failed once...
The attack from outside failed... But what about an attack from the inside?
Either way, it's nice to have some good news for a change, Arthur.

It'll be the most dangerous thing we've ever tried here. Everything's up in the air...
But even a slim hope is a hope.
And without that Exotic Matter, it's out of our reach. So I'm ready to go on investigating.
You've gotten good at handling the crew, Arthur.
That fairy tale about being able to destroy the Schwarzwelt sure lifted everyone's spirits...
Hey, don't use that as an excuse to slack off.

Put your feelings aside and focus on the mission.
But if we destroy the Schwarzwelt... Will we be able to return to Earth!? What'll happen to us inside!?
Calm down. No use worrying yourself sick over something that may or may not happen.

We can't even nail down our own hopes...
Human crewmen are expected to be in control of their emotions.
Stay calm, assess the situation, and carry out your duties.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 15, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Decarabia's sprite here is nowhere near as cute as his 3D models in the PS2 games.

...Oh, and Tiamat's dead. Fornax really felt like it just came and went, didn't it? Probably because all the most significant stuff actually happened outside it at Jack's HQ. Really looking forward to Grus though, because I've completely forgotten how it starts!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I completely forgot grus existed

Obviously, I remembered there was a sector starting with G, but I literally remember nothing about it

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

Decarabia's sprite here is nowhere near as cute as his 3D models in the PS2 games.

...Oh, and Tiamat's dead. Fornax really felt like it just came and went, didn't it? Probably because all the most significant stuff actually happened outside it at Jack's HQ. Really looking forward to Grus though, because I've completely forgotten how it starts!

I've forgotten how it starts, but I will never forget the back half of it.

Eridanus was frustrating, Fornax was obnoxious, but Grus... ohhh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Can't be. It's too blue and there's not enough planes bombing things in the background.
I guess it's meant to be a mix of the "ice cavern" and "war zone" parts of Antlia?

• Locked thread