Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
UMA wasn't renamed to Food to SMT 4, it took an assortment of demons from across the board, like Katakiruwa. It was done so because people eat them. So, I mean, of all the things in 4 that don't make sense, I am not sure that is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Delphinus is one of two sectors I generally forget exist and when I remember them, I generally forget everything that happens in them. The other sector I at least usually remember a side quest, I don't ever even get that far with Delphinus.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Despite probably being my favourite sector visually, Fornax is my other pick for 'so boring I forget it in its entirety'. I know some people feel that way about the next one but idk, I had a much better time with that one.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, the entire back half of the game is just struggling along aesthetically now that we've mostly dropped the "mirroring humanity" motif. Granted, there's still more of the Deadly Sinnage, but it's less... in your face and noticable.

Yeah, I just like black-and-gold in general so Fornax works for me on that level. I just fall asleep the minute I ever contemplate doing anything in the area.

And yeah, the whole late-game dungeon design is... not great. There's a few things I like but they're few and far between. SJ's style of 'here is our current dungeon gimmick' doesn't do a whole lot for me either.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Holeee I forgot this bit was even here.

And yeah, the Alice quest is literally the only thing I can ever remember about Fornax. I think there's another dungeon gimmick later on? maybe? hell if I know.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I honestly thought this bit was next sector, though my memory is slowly clearing up now.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I like Grus better than Fornax, not that that is saying much.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I did go Law once, because the trappings around it like this scene really hit a unique and powerful horror for me. Loosely-sketched as this game is, I do think the game delivered for me in that regard.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

The thing too is that this isn't just a story issue, it's also a gameplay issue going back to SMT 1, in that you have to reject the polar alignments to see all the content in the game. It took until Nocturne to get multiple options that would give you the content (though in Nocturne it was mostly just selecting boss fights), at least until Maniax added the true demon ending.

So really if you want to get players to pick a route other than neutral, you need to give equivalent gameplay. Strange Journey actually did a decent job of this, I think, other than a hitch with one path, but 4 walked it back quite a bit, instead taking it as assumed players would go neutral primarily and running hard with that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Devil Survivor 1 is probably the best for the Law/Chaos/Neutral split in that they're all reasonable choices with advisors who aren't batshit crazy or out to destroy/enslave the world.

Yeah I mean both of them are pretty good about it gameplay wise too in that while you largely get different content, you're not getting more as a consequence of picking a route.

I mean except pre-overclocked Yuzu, but that right there is itself a great show of how giving less content ensures fewer people will favour the option.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I actively resist the notion that any of the Reasons in Nocturne are associated with any of the alignments as SMT does them. The game has alignments in its demons and the way they're distributed across factions doesn't map to any other pattern in the series. It's trying to do something different in this regard and I don't see a huge reason to try and squeeze it into the boxes. Ditto with the DeSu games, though you can make a slightly better case for aligning them there.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Well, the first game did have a much more clear cut "this person wants to murder god, this person wants to bring enlightenment through religion, this option is letting humanity just exist, please" alignment setup; DeSu2 is absolutely Reasons 2.0, though.

Yeah, 's why I say a case exists, but outside of Naoya and Amane you're fairly well in a place where alignment as used in the series is pretty meaningless.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Time to put our murderin' hats on.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Only 3 floors between us and Maya, huh? That doesn't seem too bad at all...

Ah ha ha... ha ha... ha...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

BlazeEmblem posted:

Oh good, Hitonari's yell snapped you out of your craziness as well. I knew there was something wrong when you were so happy to go through Eridanus.

Eridanus at least has a semblance of pacing in its design. Grus... there's reasons why I always forget Fornax exists but remember Grus.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Horologium actually does some interesting things, yeah, I don't mind it though the last time I played I was just so exhausted I straight-up followed a map through it.

Grus, though. Grus, man. I don't know how people forget it because it takes up so much time just to go through that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I mean sure, nothing happens. But it's so long.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I like this ending, by which I mean I find it horrifying and the game sketches out that horror fairly well for me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I would play Strange Journey over PQ any day of the week, no question, no contest.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I started a fresh game of SMT 4 just to spite this very lp.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

More pertinent than Stockholm syndrome, those affected by the song have literally no choice other than to be happy with it; that is kind of how the song works.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ages ago in the original Strange Journey LP thread I remember seeing Tallgeese's posts and thinking "oh, it's some sort of weird RP gimmick poster where they were hit with the mind control song". And I for one commend the effort it takes to commit to such a one-note gimmick for years and years and years no matter how exhausting it is for anyone to ever look at, read, or deal with.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I like the Law route in this game. The endless disingenuous stanning for it is exhausting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah nah this is the toned down version of his posting and it's still a lot of 'this is the best because of circular logic that only works if you take it as being best going into it and I am going to have this argument at every possible moment'. It's exhausting.

If it were just about liking the law route and wanting to defend it there's any number of other people who also have liked this route and liked it well enough to speak in its favour.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I liked the law ending for the horror aspect, Chaos... feels really unsatisfying to play. In a lot of ways the game just hands you the win. Which makes sense contexually but. Mleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I mean I'll pick it up, but I'll buy anything that's got turn-based dungeon crawling.

• Locked thread