Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The actual battles and fusions are okay if hilariously unbalanced, but it's the map layouts in the latter part of the game that really kills off the goodwill one has for the game, they're just awful to slog through even when you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like Masetema's design, but he definitely embodies all that I hate about the Law branches of the game

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I always found Bugaboo weirdly cute, I always thought that 25% percent not-demon implied he got some human in his fusion.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dragonatrix posted:

There are 2 Food race demons in both IV and Apocalypse that aren't UMAs in SJ. They are Onmoraki and Katakirauwa. The rest of the race is the entirety of the UMA race here. For all intents and purposes, Food is just renamed UMA. Nothing in the Food race makes a lick of sense; Onmoraki is a death bird and Katakirauwa is a demon spirit that steals your soul.

Well Onmoraki looks like a plucked chicken with an onion head, and Katakirauwa is a pig... so.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jimenez is a bigger dick early game than I had recalled, though he and Zelenin both need to chill the gently caress out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's actually kind of hysterical for how much demons rail against humans about how little they actually understand them.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Generally it's always pretty obvious who ends up the Law Hero and the Chaos Hero though SMTII didn't have a "Chaos Hero" iirc - it's been a while and III/Nocturne's reasons aren't 100% lined up with the law-neutral-chaos axis, but these two are almost painful in it, Walter and Jonathan are less cardboardy in comparison (my complaint with those two is how sudden and hamfisted their turns are rather than their actual characterization).

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Though I suspect lot of us who played it are also colored by knowing how Zelenin acts later on, and the ending she's attached to is one of the loving creepiest endings.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Now it's got brought up, what's the Spoiler Policy?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's what the wings are for

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea - now it's coming back, the middle game really kind of falls apart when it comes to pacing - and having Jiminez bitch about it while amusing and reflect our thoughts kind of shows someone was aware the Horkos chase had issues but they didn't care enough to fix it.

Throw in the other sectors had a lot of bullshit means of forcing you to take the most roundabout route to get anywhere and a good amount of backtracking even if you're skipping optional quests.

I do think SJ's story would go better if it was aware of the absurdity of the situation instead of trying to play it 100% straight

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember people yelling at me a few years ago for not liking Strange Journey because I was a "Pissbaby wuss who likes their hand held", no - it's not hard in the combat department, though some bosses have some bullshit tactics, but it's the sheer tedium. I somehow beat it, but it probably out of sheer spite.

Dark Souls is hard, but it's a fun hard where it's learning how things tick and how to proceed, Strange Journey's hard in the navigation solely to make you waste time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I have to agree, I actually had fun for all the way in SMT4, the plot progression does need some serious work - but it didn't feel like a loving chore to get through.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Anthony's Questline is both hilarious and cringe inducing - I think Moh Shouyruu's reaction is probably the best one we get.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And generally you'd want that slot for another attack skill for type coverage or a buff/debuff more than you need the extra HP

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Geez, I forgot how many plot holes and weird leaps of logic this questline has - did no one proofread this part for consistency?

and Matesema's a god drat Luddite.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not as bad as early wizardry, but boy the latter half of the game is a pain to get around with the barebones automap - having an Etrian-style map ability would've made this game a lot more bearable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Eridanus is one of the prettiest areas, but I seem to remember it being kind of a pain.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, at first I was "maybe I was wrong, this isn't so bad... Okay, now there's the bullshit I remember." Instantly nulling the dark room visualizer is utterly inexcusable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's always gonna be a fair amount of grousing and grumbling, especially if missions get complicated, but Jimenez really is way out of line - it doesn't help except for the brainwash machines, not one of the other crew members does as so much as griped about the delays, making him stand out all the more.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Moloch had a cool design, but Mitha to Mithras was a huge downgrade.

There's just so many baffling design decisions in this game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

really baffling story decisions, like interrupting the boss Gauntlet to deal with Jack here. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try to play it 100% serious, if they had simply embrace the lunacy of the premise and gone camp.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I seem to remember Jack being vulnerable to charm and exploiting that against him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's some fairly bullshit bosses near the end, but most of the difficulty is from navigating the maps, not from combat - or rather, not difficulty, but frustration. The stuff's not hard, but very, very aggravating to go through.

Also, I completely forgot about Grus.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I thought it was weird they dropped Force for this game - and that ring makes me wonder if it was a later change - or more likely the different teams weren't communicating like they should during development.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SMTII is the closest to presenting Chaos as a decent option (gently caress YVWH - demons just want a right to exist), Law always have issues with not coming off as horrible brainwashing fascistland (except to people like Tallgeese) - I do feel like most of these games do try to push you hard towards rejecting both extremes.

And there is a hypocrisy between deciding it's okay to completely subvert someone's mind or it's horrible solely base on their source - what's the difference between a machine your higher ups secretly smuggle in, or magic by a group who decide they know what's better for you - neither one asked you if it's okay to alter your thought patterns.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Devil Survivor 1 is probably the best for the Law/Chaos/Neutral split in that they're all reasonable choices with advisors who aren't batshit crazy or out to destroy/enslave the world.

Pretty much, the only unreasonable choice is the "Screw this I'm out" route, but it's still very understandable why those characters would pick that. Too bad the sequel despite generally having a better cast made the equivalent Chaos Route spearheaded by a Randian hypocritical sack of poo poo.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 21, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

neongrey posted:

Yeah I mean both of them are pretty good about it gameplay wise too in that while you largely get different content, you're not getting more as a consequence of picking a route.

I mean except pre-overclocked Yuzu, but that right there is itself a great show of how giving less content ensures fewer people will favour the option.

and even then, Yuzu isn't a complete idiot for picking the route, she's acting very much like a normal person finally fed up with this poo poo.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

freshlybaked posted:

Wait, who are you talking about? I thought it was the 'Law' equivalent who mostly everyone seemed to hate for being kind of terrible and hypocritical.

Yea, they're both bad - Yamato just really rubs me the wrong way.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hunt11 posted:

That's because Yamato is a rich boy libertarian who talks about how great adversity is whilst he himself has never wanted for anything.

Exactly - he's in his position and as educated as he is because he's from a very rich and very well-connected family and is completely oblivious that he didn't pull himself up.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

it's amazing looking back at just how... not good the writing is.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

neongrey posted:

Horologium actually does some interesting things, yeah, I don't mind it though the last time I played I was just so exhausted I straight-up followed a map through it.

Grus, though. Grus, man. I don't know how people forget it because it takes up so much time just to go through that.

Aside from it's awful layout, there's nothing that happens in Grus between dealing with Libertarian Squad and Maya. Have to agree with Dragontrix's comment on Maya: overall good design, but her hair should be wild and loose, not slicked back

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SweaterGear posted:

Also, if deities from other pantheons are demons, then so too are the "angels". They can call themselves whatever they want, but I bet that their "Almighty God" is probably just another final boss fight like any other powerful demon would be.

And he was the final boss in SMT2 in fact.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Why on god's green earth would they make a late game demon weak to almighty? Almost every boss from this point on, and a decent amount of random encounters have some kind of almighty skill, rendering Alciel worthless.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 4, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SweaterGear pretty much covers it.

There's no real strategy to beating bosses except to exploit the AI or somehow learn their hidden weaknesses (gl if you're the type that doesn't use a guide or feel that looking at data dumps is cheating), and the gently caress you moves rarely have a warning or tell that the AI will petrify you, or did you for well above your HP, so you have to hope it doesn't pull it or you had prepared before hand to nullify the risk.

Though I suspect my idea of a good Hard Boss may differ with other people's. To me, a Good Hard Boss can be beaten on the first attempt, but it requires full use of mechanics the game has presented to you, and if it has an instant Game Over move, it has a tell that lets you get a chance to negate/avoid it.

Lot of SMT games suffer from being compared to Nocturne, because Nocturne sets such a loving high bar for the series, but compare to it, SMT2, Persona Q and IV - Strange Journey ends up looking at best anemic, and at worst really awful.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 7, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember when I played IMAGINE my three grips where the Pay2Win aspects (even mounts have a paywall aspect as riding your mount uses a charge), the huge, bland as gently caress areas, and the ridiculous aggro range some demons had - I remember Garms will lock on you well before you can even see them. - but I believe that was when Aeria Games was handling it - and they're pretty known for mediocre free2pay games, before Atlus and Marvelous took over - so I'm not sure how much has changed since then.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Persona 3 does have the one Tartarus boss that is mean and will spam Megidolaon if you use the mirror item at a point where you're not used that kind of thing from a Tartarus enemy and that generally will 1HKO your average party set up in a first run. There are definitely harder bosses in the game, but World Balance just feels spiteful.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tallgeese posted:

And there are some who would make the argument that psychotherapy is getting clients to do that and think they came up with it. Just because you attach strong words to it does not make it so.

I can't.... There is a loving world of difference between the two, you deliberately obtuse idiot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly if they had done more with that - that it's grooming/driven right into the arms of the enemy as nrook described it, I think the majority of my complaints about the plot would be resolved. The other complaint is minimize or spread out the Jack Squad Subplot, and introducing Ubergesalt Gore earlier.

Like lot of people on the Red Sprite, and a few readers seem to think Jimenez fused for power, but I always felt the scene is to be read as him going for the desperate chance for Bugaboo to survive - he's shown to treat the oddball demon like a little brother almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mastema always struck me as arrogant/condescending shady so that didn't surprise me, but yeah the whole thing with Jimenez didn't make sense with his characterization or what chaos is suppose to be. I think the intent is those things just get rid of inhibitions, but the writing's poo poo so it just feels like another form of brain washing.

I always liked Lucifer's line here about his/her view of humanity for some reason, though Lucifer's appearance is so infrequent and underutilized that they might as well not be in the game.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 22, 2017

• Locked thread