Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Yeah, given that UMA is Unidentified Mysterious Animal, it makes sense that those would be your go-to if you need to eat demons. Hare or Hare of Inaba, it's all good. Onmoraki is the weird one there because it's made from an unburied corpse, more than the UMAs.

I'm glad to see a Strange Journey playthrough. You're a lot better at the game than I was and it's interesting to see how you break stuff - I never really (ab)used Source, for instance.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, so it's the Mind Kontrol Gun okay.

It's probably named after MKUltra. At least, that's what I always assumed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nah, Gore refers to the protagonist as "another American."

That sounds like it would be an utter nightmare to navigate with only the automapping feature this game has.

The Wizardry games of the era that had dark spinner rooms didn't automap or have a compass at all, and sometimes didn't tell you when you'd spun.

Don't make me break out the Wiz4 maps for a taste of terror. I will.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dragonatrix posted:

Wizardry IV is straight up, from top-to-bottom, in every single facet of its design the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever seen and I can't but love it for that.

Mainly because I do not have the balls to actually play it. If I did, I imagine my opinion would change very quickly. :v:

Nah, Shining in the Darkness might be the oldest proper first person dungeon crawler I've bothered with (well, outside of the Ultima series I mean) and the meanest thing I remember from that was something that is unique insofar as I can recall right now. Damage floors are pretty cruel, but Shining in the Darkness had MP damage tiles. In terms of fuckin' with dudes, that'd be up there for that alone just because MP is a much more valuable resource. Honestly kinda surprised I haven't seen that crop up anywhere near as often as it feels like it should.

I've actually played and beaten Wizardry 4 (though I did not get the best ending). I'm sad that my Mordor Charge went missing during one of my moves, or I'd take a picture of it or something. Though I own a legitimate copy of it, I never beat it when I was younger. When I actually got around to it, I had the advantage of playing it on a modern computer running an Apple emulator, which meant I could do things like pause it whenever I wanted and alt-tab to write notes, something that I would not have been able to do on an actual system.

I do not recommend bothering to finish it unless you really enjoy it, but poking around for a couple floors is a good way to learn just how unforgiving it is.

It's kind of a unique situation, though. Wizardry 4 was designed to be unfair. You weren't supposed to play it if you hadn't played, beaten, and internalized the previous Wizardry games, really; the box said 'for Wizardry experts only! Experience with Proving Grounds required' (that is, Wizardry 1) on it for a reason. Even the battles were automatically slanted against you since you were the (mostly uncontrollable) monsters, which didn't always have the best AI. I guess the closest equivalent today would be some kind of romhack or brutally hard expansion. Other Wizardry games do use spinners and dark rooms but not so unfairly.

If Strange Journey did something like Wiz4's spinners I'd call it total bullshit and it would deserve it.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 17, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Robindaybird posted:

Moloch had a cool design, but Mitha to Mithras was a huge downgrade.

There's just so many baffling design decisions in this game.

Moloch and Mithras are pretty long-standing SMT designs, so for someone like me who's seen them before, it's a nice touch. (Both designs are in Soul Hackers, a 1997 Saturn game.)

• Locked thread