Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Oh boy, I found this thread just in time for the slow slide into the midgame doldrums! :allears: I was one of those nutsos that 100% completed it as my first SMT game, and even that was with the power of GameFAQs maps because I'm one of those people with no spatial awareness.

While Delphinus is pretty low on the rear end in a top hat moves in the grand scheme of things, I absolutely hate conveyor belts in first-person dungeon crawlers because when one goes through a wide open room, by all rights you should be able to dive to the side onto stable land instead of being stuck on a one-way minecart rail, and developers know that and love putting poo poo right in your peripheral vision to taunt you with it. "Here's some treasure, wouldn't it be great to geeeet it? Have fun finding exactly the right pit to jump down!"

Add in the fact that this is really the point where the game stops being a crunchy dungeon crawler and stumbles into :words: and you have a lot of reason why this sector is the start of the part of the game that even gives fans of the game a bad taste in their mouth.

Magical glowing-eyes Gore in a Dapper Tuxedo will never stop being great, though. I don't think they ever explained why he's in a formal suit, either; did the crew just decide to waste their time changing his corpse out of the Demonica and into proper funeral clothes? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

Anyway, that's our Eridanus. The Schwarzwelt's Eridanus is the best sector. If you disagree, sorry, you're wrong. If you think it's the worst, you're double wrong.

I am fine with being double-wrong.

It's certainly the best at being bullshit to map.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

How many demons like Mayahuel are there whose stat screens show the completely opposite information? Because that boggles my mind.

It's... the weird lying UI is a relic of the Co-Op system, I honestly believe. Mayahuel takes 50% less damage from physicals, but attacking her with one provokes a Co-Op attack, if you're fighting it as an enemy. As for why they did that? :iiam:

For the most part, it's easier to just assume that weaknesses may or may not actually increase damage, but do always provoke co-ops. And since co-op damage is coded as Almighty...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

South of there is a shortcut to let us get back here quickly if/when we need to. Eridanus is really beginning to feel a lot like, I dunno, an Etrian Odyssey stratum rather than a usual sector and I am super okay with that.

Yeah, that's it exactly. It's not actually objectively bad (though it gets amazingly dickish if you want to map the whole thing, as you've shown), but it's like the game realized, after four sectors, "wait! They're already used to this, these people played the first three Etrian Odyssey games!" and then suddenly it's rear end in a top hat Map Design 101.

Except without any squirrels stealing your Warp Wires.

I have to admit, seeing you go through it (and not having to deal with random battles on sleep tiles if you happened to miss Medic) at least lets me appreciate it for how sincere it is about being One Of Those First Person Dungeon Crawlers. It's a certain type of heart-felt "gently caress you" that you could only get from something like Wizardry or Etrian Odyssey.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

Because Dragonatrix is a broken shell of a human.

BlazeEmblem posted:

I don't think Dragonatrix is sane anymore.

You stop feeling things once you finish mapping this sector.

You map this sector because you haven't cured your urge to Do All The Things.

Strange Journey punishes you for such hubris.

Petiso posted:

Good old Eridanus, I made sure to scan this for future reference and still shiver every time I look at it:

And if that's not the definition of "JOHN loving MADDEN", I don't know what is.

And yeah, Disaster Cycle is absolutely the capstone here. A boss that can just straight up say "yeah nah, try again" at any time it wants is just the pinnacle of gently caress you boss design.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

neongrey posted:

Despite probably being my favourite sector visually, Fornax is my other pick for 'so boring I forget it in its entirety'. I know some people feel that way about the next one but idk, I had a much better time with that one.

Honestly, the entire back half of the game is just struggling along aesthetically now that we've mostly dropped the "mirroring humanity" motif. Granted, there's still more of the Deadly Sinnage, but it's less... in your face and noticable.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Keldulas posted:

Crappy characterization aside, I'm legitimately curious about the purported choices here.

1. Can you actually turn off the machine and kill Bugaboo there and stop the fusion?
2. With the fusion hazard, can the game continue like that with Jiminez effectively being dead there?

If you try to turn off the machine, Jimenez basically railroads you into fusing them together, as shown.

The fusion accident was sadly a non-canon joke.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

Decarabia's sprite here is nowhere near as cute as his 3D models in the PS2 games.

...Oh, and Tiamat's dead. Fornax really felt like it just came and went, didn't it? Probably because all the most significant stuff actually happened outside it at Jack's HQ. Really looking forward to Grus though, because I've completely forgotten how it starts!

I've forgotten how it starts, but I will never forget the back half of it.

Eridanus was frustrating, Fornax was obnoxious, but Grus... ohhh boy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

freshlybaked posted:

I think you're an update early. Zelenin hasn't quite yet washed her head in any of Mastema's supposed brain water yet.
I mean. It's probably gonna happen for sure, but not just yet.

Yeah, it's about as blatantly telegraphed as Buganez (Jimiboo?) but as it stands her only statement is "hey maybe we could try a way that isn't genocide" which... isn't really a bad road to go down.

There's still reason to be skeptical since letting the dickheads live already hosed up twice, but.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Devil Survivor 1 is probably the best for the Law/Chaos/Neutral split in that they're all reasonable choices with advisors who aren't batshit crazy or out to destroy/enslave the world.

I mean. I'd argue the "aren't batshit crazy". Naoya exists. But at the same time he's at least reasonable when you're not actively opposing him, I vaguely remember him actually being helpful in Atsuro's path.

Regarding Zelenin, the Law faction here didn't really strike me as too tonedeaf or hypocritical at this point (past the "don't use demons, use the functionally identical angels who are random battles just like demons"; at least humans don't get in random fights in exploration with you, to counter that meta-argument of everything being a statblock) but god drat is her new outfit loving hideous. Also the idea of widespread brainwashing as an alternative to extreme violence is not particularly "better", just horrifying in a different way.

EDIT:

freshlybaked posted:

Wait, who are you talking about? I thought it was the 'Law' equivalent who mostly everyone seemed to hate for being kind of terrible and hypocritical.

:ssh: any ending that goes along with polaris is technically law, DeSu2 is more like the Reasons than a standard SMT three-prong system.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hunt11 posted:

That's because Yamato is a rich boy libertarian who talks about how great adversity is whilst he himself has never wanted for anything.

The closest there can be to a saving grace there is that at least he's aware of how full of poo poo he is and at one point admits that he'd prefer a world where he got dunked on by someone better instead of coasting by on privilege. Except then if you actually proceed to dunk on him he turns into this psychotic jealous yandere.

Yamato is the worst part of Devil Survivor 2, and that's a game that introduced both Keita Wakui and also Hinako's utter lack of clothing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I actively resist the notion that any of the Reasons in Nocturne are associated with any of the alignments as SMT does them. The game has alignments in its demons and the way they're distributed across factions doesn't map to any other pattern in the series. It's trying to do something different in this regard and I don't see a huge reason to try and squeeze it into the boxes. Ditto with the DeSu games, though you can make a slightly better case for aligning them there.

Well, the first game did have a much more clear cut "this person wants to murder god, this person wants to bring enlightenment through religion, this option is letting humanity just exist, please" alignment setup; DeSu2 is absolutely Reasons 2.0, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BFC posted:

3. Ignore Jimboo & Xtreme Fonz Zelenin and pickpocket the key to the seal from Grendel

1. Murderize Ryan and co.

Honestly, yeah, we shouldn't listen to either of them, but if presented with no third option, I vote we kill them before the kool-aid they're drinking does it for us.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BFC posted:

Horologium is the reason I keep trying to replay SJ. I love this sector so much because the gloves are completely off at this point.

You just have to slog through so drat much to get there. While Delphinus and Eridanus weren't too awful - though I still insist that Eridanus is "beginning of the end", there - Fornax and Grus are just abysmal and the payoff isn't even nearly worth it.

Also, huh. I forgot Louisa actually showed up there. Lucifer is usually much more active in these games than "three unconnected, rambling scenes where they go 'yep, God sure is poo poo' and then vanish".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NikkolasKing posted:

Getting away from that argument that will go nowhere because, as already noted we can't even discuss everything because we have yet to see even one ending, do people here really hate this game? A lot of the comments on this page have been really scathing about...well, everything. I actually really enjoyed the Law stuff in this game.

The dungeon design is basically nails-on-chalkboard grating from Eridanus all the way to the end of the game, battles just sort of exist as a way to break up the tedium/add more frustration (depending on opinion), the writing whiplashes violently back and forth from one extreme to the other way too easily (not even talking about ending stuff, just the Fornax/Grus/Jack's clusterfuck) and sidequests have managed to lose what little charm they had, ending up as "do the exact same thing you did for another sidequest, but again".

It's also a (relatively easy) SMT game made after Nocturne. Everybody and their dog loves Nocturne, so anything that is not More Nocturne is basically spit on and ground into the dirt by the fanbase. Strange Journey, in particular, tries to walk a lot of roads that SMT1 did, except a lot of those narrative/design decisions were not particularly good and definitely didn't age well.

tl;dr: it has its charm but it's not the most polished game out there, and we're at the point we can see the seams in the woodwork.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 6, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

neongrey posted:

I would play Strange Journey over PQ any day of the week, no question, no contest.

PQ is a game made for a very, very specific part of a Venn Diagram. If you loved Persona 3, loved Persona 4, and thought Etrian Odyssey was cool but it needed more automapping and :japan:, then Persona Q was literally made to cater to you. Otherwise.... well, it's just a half-baked EO wannabe with characters from the more anime Persona games.

Contrast SJ, which is a half-baked EO wannabea first-person dungeon crawler with similar levels of assholishness as EO, but not nearly the same quality of level design - but at least it has very little anime (Anthony excepted)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 7, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NikkolasKing posted:

Never played PQ, does it at least have good music? I still think SJ has some of the best music I've heard in any SMT/Persona game.

It's not at all SJ tier, that's for sure. As for if it's good or bad, it goes back to "did you like Persona 3/4's soundtracks?" because it's really in the style of those. Lots of hard guitar, occasional J-rap styled vocals, etc.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 7, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GimmickMan posted:

I played Imagine for a few days in the week before the servers closed, when all rates were like 5x or so.

It felt excruciatingly slow and I honestly don't know how anyone could play it at normal rates.

It couldn't be worse than Ragnarok Online's rates. Even at 1000x for all rates, gaining levels in that game was a slog and a half.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

(unless you use a reflect item)

The one cardinal rule of SMT: Strange Journey - using a reflect skill/item against a boss is the quickest way to get a Game Over.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Keldulas posted:

It's incredibly bare-bones, and I didn't like either of the two people trying to make arguments here. When the choice is 'herp' and 'derp'... .eh gently caress it.

Sadly, when the issue is "[powers outside of your control] have decided you are a blight on the planet and must be wiped from existence", your options are to resist, die, or conform.

"herp" and "derp" are two shades of conformity, in this case - conformity to religion and conformity to feral beasts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

Metatron in the SJ-verse seems like a cool enough guy to hang out with. Certainly level headed enough. Also lets NOT get into the Law/Chaos poo poo flinging discussion again. My loving eyes god drat glazed over and tried to roll over into the back of my head from it.

Metatron in general is probably the chillest of all the angels in SMT games. As long as you're not spitting in their face openly (see: SMT3), you don't get the business given to you.

Tallgeese posted:

Of course the entire premise of this situation makes absolutely zero sense in general, because it's not clear how the god could have beaten the Mothers the first time around if he was powered by belief.

It was Goku and he needed to charge the Spirit Bomb.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 20, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zelenin actually managed to murder me once with Requiem. This led me to think, for a long time, that she was as bad as Mem Aleph.

She's hardly even Orobouros tier.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'm surprised she shows up that early, figured Mastema would be leaving her in reserve for the chance to hijack the cosmic eggs.

Honestly, I don't remember Mastema being so restrained in the Neutral Route. I swore he fought you here, too, not just showed up, went "poo poo, you hosed us up but ha ha you hosed up too and we can just outlive you :smuggo:" and then hosed off.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dancer posted:

I guess if we're trying to find logic behind it, maybe the nuke came first ("this might be required to break the Schwartzwelt")

Well, apparently they already tried to nuke the Schwartzwelt from the outside, with you in it, and it didn't work.

It's not unfeasible that they were also considering the option of nuking the Schwartzwelt from the inside. With you in it.

We just happen to have alternate reasons that it will work, aka the Cosmic Eggs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GeneX posted:

Oh cool you killed god again

Well, the Gnostic Demiurge. A god, just not the Judaic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Robindaybird posted:

There's parts that weren't as bad as I remembered, and parts that were way worse than I recalled.

[...]

If the remake fixes a lot of those problems, great, but I am skeptical of that.

First part quoted for :same:, second part quoted because this is Atlus.

You know full well the remake's biggest change is going to be ten more quests of that one dude's attempts to gently caress every female-presenting demon in the entire game, and it's supposed to be played for sympathy laughs. :japan:

• Locked thread