Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Nice to see a less...frustrated playthrough of this game, I had to stop following the last one because the tone was unpleasant. This looks like an interesting entry in the SMT franchise, and I look forward to your LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

I feel like the game is being very heavy handed with Jimenez and Zelenin. It is really obvious when the Law-Chaos-Neutral path split occurs who will side with what and be totally unwilling to compromise with the player. I have this feeling that both of them are going to die and/or turn evil and I, for one, won't care because they are both being unreasonable dicks.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

How is Zelenin being unreasonable exactly?

She's pretty much dismissing that the demons have any sort of sentience. She calls them tools and views the things they do as solely byproducts of human actions, like demons are carbon dioxide or something.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

...Matesema's a god drat Luddite.

Yeah and with Zelenin's line about mistrusting humans, I have a feeling she is going to betray the crew and join up with the shady angels really soon.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

I wonder if the writers intended the player to like Jimenez or Zelenin, because both of them are doubling down on their stupid beliefs. The rest of the crew is cool, particularly Blair and Irving, which makes me wish that you could team up with them and add them to your party to adventure around 7 Deadly Sins Land.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay, so this is a Very Long Update and I'd genuinely be hesitant to post it in thread even if it was on a new page and not the bottom of this one. So I won't do that.

:siren: 26. Delphinus Clean Up :siren:

Also even if you don't care about EX Missions/sweet new gear for some reason, there's still something in there that you might find interesting.

SWEET NEW GEAR?! I love sweet new gear! Who doesn't?!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Jimenez is such a huge dick for no reason. Isn't he supposed to be one of the best soldiers in the world to even be apart of the mission? You'd think that a guy with that bad an attitude would be drummed out of the military, especially since he is constantly questioning and breaking orders.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

I have to appreciate the fact that Arthur gave the crew an option to not follow him. I also like that the crew all took the heroic option. I think that they might be the Neutral faction, which means that they might start to get real stupid if they are anything like the other faction leads in this game.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

You raise a good point about the Red Sprite having the best of the best, but the game has forgotten that repeatedly and consistently. So Jack's Squad is somehow going to have better soldiers in addition to Anime Prototype equipment, I bet.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Goddammit, I was hoping running off to be a spy would take Jimenez out of the story for a while. Thanks for nothing, jackass.

I give him a 50% chance to have joined up with Jack's Squad and 50% chance he'll escape by fusing with Bugaboo. Because Jimenez is just awful and the Chaos guy always fuses with a demon.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Demon-Jimenez is absolutely going to do something horrible in the near future. He's a ticking time bomb and should not be on the ship anymore. Arthur doesn't want the crew to talk to the demons or interact with Tuxedo Gore, so why is a half demon allowed to be on board?

Also, following the SMT formula, I guess Zelanin is going to get angel powers next. That way the obvious bosses for Law and Chaos can show up and the player can make a "difficult moral choice" between them.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Blair's also pretty good as the "wise soldier" archetype. He seems to be consistently professional and intelligent, too.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Good on Arthur for making the right call regarding Jimenez. Also, don't most SMT games stop giving bosses weaknesses at some point? It feels like the game is far enough along that big sector bosses shouldn't have free damage multipliers anymore, but I guess SJ is as weirdly easy as some people in the thread claim.

This is adorable!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Since you mentioned incenses at the end there, have you still not used any of the ones you've found? How many do you have in your inventory at this point?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

As for the first question, I haven't and I probably won't ever (even for the actual real "hard" fights of which there are maybe like 3 in total if I'm being generous) so that number in the stock is just going to keep on rising.

Any particular reason why not? I used to hoard that kind of stuff in videogames, but at some point my brain chemistry switched and now I use those sorts of items almost immediately. Because why save it for later when I can have the power now?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Bummer that stat-ups aren't actually all that great it seems. I guess I'm more used to other RPGs where stats are frequently the only thing that matters and items that raise your stats are worth their weight in gold.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Way to be a huge hypocrite, Zelenin! I wasn't expecting her transformation to make her more dangerous than Jimenez but a super strong guy is nothing compared to brainwashing song. I also find it funny that characters talk about the angels as if they are different from demons when the game interface and mechanics revel them to be just different types of demons. It makes Zelenin's whole thing about trusting angels versus demons seem stupid, delusional, or hypocritical. In a better written game, the hypocrisy could have been foreshadowing Zelenin's stance on brainwashing.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

BFC posted:

It really does feel like Strange Journey had one scenario writer for the first half and then they butted heads with the standard SMT alignment system until either they gave up or a completely different writer stepped in to spot-weld SJ to the series formula.

Every time I read an SMT LP, I'm always struck by the fact that all of the alignments seem horrible. Law and Chaos always come across as terrible ideas and Nocturne's Reasons had the same problem. On one hand, they are ideas represented by very inhuman creatures so it makes sense that they are extreme ideologies that are hard to relate to. On the other hand, the writers had to have realized that players won't see large chunks of their game if the players have to pal around with unlikable jerks.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

I think there's a third option here, actually maybe even 4 options. We could go kill crazy and wipe out both Jack's Squad and the demons, or we could try to negotiate with the demons and then they attack us, like Arthur suggested. I vote for talking with and then probably killing the demons the old fashioned way. No songs, no demon hybrids, no extremes.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Huh, so the Schwarzwelt has shown up on Earth "many times" in the past. That's a huge reveal! It means that humanity can undoubtedly win without surrendering to the chaos of demonkind or submitting themselves to the law of the angels. I hope going forward that the crew's morale is sky high after this. Also, now there's no reason to listen to Zelenin or Jimenez anymore!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Also, Gore and Arthur seem like cool dudes so far. Them and the Red Sprite's crew will be the heroes humanity needs!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the nice divine people who brainwash people

Yeah, this is the biggest problem with the Law people in SJ. They don't want allies and partners, they want servants and slaves. If the only way angels help humanity is utterly subjugating the entire planet, then they are just as bad as their fellow demons. Humans don't need them!

Also, if deities from other pantheons are demons, then so too are the "angels". They can call themselves whatever they want, but I bet that their "Almighty God" is probably just another final boss fight like any other powerful demon would be.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

RIP Gore, Arthur, and the Red Sprite, you were the best the game's writing had to offer. Also, that is a poorly designed boss fight as it is too long and repetitive.

But look on the bright side! Now we can hang out with Zelenin and become a brainwashed zombie for angels!...oh wait

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Getting away from that argument that will go nowhere because, as already noted we can't even discuss everything because we have yet to see even one ending, do people here really hate this game? A lot of the comments on this page have been really scathing about...well, everything.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the game, but compared to other SMT and even Persona games SJ seems lacking. Besides the very uneven writing, the tedious dungeons, and the handful of useless demons, the worst thing for me is how bad the boss fights are. It's near the end of the game and the bosses still have elemental weaknesses and only one element of attack! But to "balance" that out bosses have instant game over attacks, which is a terrible design decision. SJ also lacks any stylistic charm to cover for these shortcomings so, unless the endings are really good, people will be harsh and unforgiving.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Man, the Red Sprite's crew just got all the life sucked right out of them, huh? If this is the fate for the rest of the world, then what a horrible place the Millennium Kingdom will be.

(Except sidequest guy is fine for some reason. I bet the creators didn't want to write alternate dialogue for sidequests for every path)

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

This is just gross. Humanity's best and brightest have turned their back on their mission. How could someone decide that humanity is so beyond saving that total devastation or total subjugation is a better option? I'm really having a hard time sympathizing with anyone who would throw away their humanity (ie Jimenez and Zelenin) or those who'd side with them in earnest.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

So I guess everyone just prays to the God of Order all the time now? That seems like a...shallow life and a sad ending to humanity.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

The crew of the Red Sprite and the other ships were tasked by the United Nations to save Earth from the Schwarzwelt. The other teams died so the Red Sprite are the only ones left to do anything about this planet wide threat. One faction of demons said that they should rule and slaughter everyone, another faction said they should rule and subjugate everyone. At the very end, a third option arises that said humanity can end the Schwarzwelt by itsellf. Picking Chaos or Law is straight up failing the mission and letting all of humanity suffer. Neutral is completing the mission and saving humanity. If one person makes a choice that affects the world, then the choice that doesn't plunge most of humanity into different stripes of hell has to be the best. It's that simple.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

So Chaos is as bad an ending as Law? Makes sense. Also, I'm another person who isn't surprised that Mastema is a scumbag.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

That's 2 for 2 in failing the main mission and giving Earth over to demons. Hopefully, the third time is the charm!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Bit of a bummer that Gore doesn't get to stick around and lead the crew again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

I'm glad you ended on the best ending (relatively speaking). Thank you for the great LP, and I look forward to your next project, whatever it may be!

• Locked thread