Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I enjoy watching you trivialize these games and SJ is rather infamous for being tedious and unforgiving, so this should be fun. It's a shame that the second half of the game drops the ball, the first half has a great atmosphere to it and some of the mechanics are neat. That does not include most of the combat system, unfortunately, so the exploration mechanics have to carry the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was going to bring up the hypocrisy of treating all Demons like they're Mitra's mythological Mengeles while trusting an Angel. Then I realised that was about to argue with Tallgeese.

For what it is worth, I think it is kind of neat that Jimenez acts like a jackass but is practical and can be convinced to act like a reasonable person, while Zelenin is polite but unwilling to compromise on her xenophobia and leaves the "dirty work" of dealing with Demons to the others. It is a neat and somewhat subtle contrast. Too bad this is SJ and these characters are going to get more extreme about their alignments later.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Horkos is probably the silliest part of the game, all in all.

But at least that makes Carina memorable. Delphinus is about the point where the sectors start to blur together in my memory and I'm no longer sure which plot developments happen in which. Maybe it is me, but I find the middle of the game to be a lot less cohesive than the beginning and end.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I missed that this was supposed to be despair rather than sloth.

Good job nailing White Rider early. I see you like living on the edge and not healing status conditions.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"Guys I have an idea for a new status effect: Turning people into bombs." "Cool, what do we call the spell that causes it?" "Uh... Let's make it a JoJo reference?" "...Sure, sure why not."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Even in his redemption quest, Anthony is still terrible.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just looking at the teleport maze minimap makes me scream internally. Why is this sector the best, again?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'd forgotten about this because everything started to blur together around this point in the previous LP for me but the four demons that support Ouroboros are: A plant that is born from the dead (makes sense), an underworld dweller (okay, sure), a reptile (eh, a bit lazy but I'll take it) ... And a frog person? What? And she's supposed to be referencing a platypus? What am I missing here?

Also, Clowning Ouroboros 2v1 (technically 3, but you know what I mean) is the superior video.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That's a weird decision. Couldn't they have introduced Jack's squad earlier or moved this event later to pace these encounters with them a little better?

Also, typo from the Moloch refight:

quote:

See how I overflow with energy to such an extent that my sanirt is fleeting!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think the constant going back and forth to the Libertosector is the primary reason Fornax and Grus blur together so much for me.

It doesn't help that it is the designated "everyone turns into a jackass" SMT stage of the plot.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel the game is trying to tell me Jimenez isn't in the right here for wanting to get rid of the people who have shown absolutely no redeeming qualities, keep causing things that would be war crimes at the very least if law was a thing in the Schwhatever, and keep interrupting the flow of gameplay so the player will also hate them.

I can't disagree with Jimeboo here, is what I'm trying to say. Murder them all.

Jimenez is a dipshit but, even after being transformed into a bloodthirsty demon, he's willing to try peaceful methods. That's more than what most Chaos heroes would do.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've abstained from voting since I already know more or less how this goes... but gently caress Ryan's squad, seriously.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The law route does a very good job of luring you with a false sense of security and pretending to be a reasonable option until the very end when you realize it is arguably the worst of them.

If I wasn't sure this is entirely coincidental, I'd call it good writing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Boy I sure am glad that there's only one more update to go of this crap kumbaya route.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I played Imagine for a few days in the week before the servers closed, when all rates were like 5x or so.

It felt excruciatingly slow and I honestly don't know how anyone could play it at normal rates.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It couldn't be worse than Ragnarok Online's rates. Even at 1000x for all rates, gaining levels in that game was a slog and a half.

I played a lot of RO for many years (I used to mod for a local community server). That game was not friendly to beginners. It was very easy to accidentally run into aggressive mobs unbeatable at your level while in many of the low level areas. Also the lack of instanced dungeons and XP-giving quests meant the only way to level up was to beat the same set of mobs over and over until you were high level enough to move somewhere else.

Imagine does not suffer from that problem but somehow manages to be even slower.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I can't believe they destroyed the elevator and are making you go through 9 floors of Horologium!

It's really obvious but it amuses me that they go out of their way to taunt you with the elevator. Horologium is such a dick. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

Can't wait to see what excuse the game has for not ending this time.

It's worse.

You get the law ending.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Strange Journey doesn't present its neutral route until right before locking you to your ending. Until then, the schwarzwelt engulfing the Earth is treated as an inevitability unless you side with Law, and Mastema is one of the few helpful characters that doesn't act like a jackass. Compared to Jimenez and Louisa, Zelenin and Mastema are much more reasonable. In fact, many of the law dialogue options also sound like they would be neutral answers in other SMT games, because the alternatives sound just plain worse. Brainwashing people, while loving terrible, is arguably more humane than straight up slaughtering them. And the ending just a few ministries short of 1984 is probably better than the field of corpses Louisa tries to sell you as a good thing. By the time Gore shows up and tells you that there is another way, you can't turn back on Law.

And so you get to brainwash all your friends into husks of their former selves and give YHVH the power to cherrypick who lives and who dies. Humanity goes out not with a bang but with a whimper.

A better written game would have something to say here about how people can be fooled into giving up everything that makes them human out of fear, loneliness or uncertainty. Strange Journey is not that game, but I appreciate that at least you can read it that way.

NikkolasKing posted:

This ending made me perfectly satisfied with my choice of going Law for my introductory SMT game. Everyone lived happily ever after, the end.

Everyone living happily ever after. posted:

I, too, am perfectly satisfied with the systematic genocide of people who disagree with me.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Now of course Law has genocide and brainwashing and I don't approve of that. But as far as I know "a lot of people die" is just how most SMT games end. All I can do is follow which side makes the best argument, which is why I went with Lucy in Nocturne. As you just pointed out, Neutral makes no real argument in this game and Chaos is no real option.

If mass murder goes for all endings and all we have to go with are arguments, then Chaos is at least honest with itself and everyone else. Law pretends to take the moral high ground and acts like all of the horrible poo poo it pulls is just breaking a few eggs to make an omelette.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The old LP showed all the endings but it didn't show the NG+ stuff so this is all new to me. Interesting to see Metatron down here. I wonder if ol' Bub is around as well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Those Ragnaroks. :wtc:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I can't wait to have this argument a hundred times again when we get to the neutral ending.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They should've made you fight Mastema and Zelenin at the same time to compensate for the lack of Mem Aleph.

Also, their ideas may suck, but Chaos has some sick architects. I wish Horologium looked like a Giger dungeon. Or one of the repeat aesthetics like Fornax/Grus.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If they fix the mechanics (unlikely), improve the worst dungeons (also unlikely) and the new characters improve the cast as a whole (likely, but that's a low bar) this might be a top shelf SMT game.

Looking forward to it not happening, I guess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That's it for postgame bosses? I guess it is better than some of the more bullshit offers in the franchise (looking at you, Digital Devil Saga) but it's rather disappointing for a title as infamously frustrating as Strange Journey to end on... That.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It was nice to see an LP of this game that didn't break the soul of its LPer. It was even better how you trivialized it the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Arthur is the most human character in the game. Not a high bar, considering his competition, but given he had every excuse to go Rogue and plot the destruction/enslavement of humanity? That deserves some credit.

• Locked thread