Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Dragonatrix posted:

Because SMT4 wishes it was even half as good as Strange Journey

:argh: You better take that back. SMT4 was far better than this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I think the in-story reason for naming them food is that with no sunlight and demons running around, there aren't a lot of protein sources (or any food sources, really), and they named any demon that they could safely eat without something bad happening. Most of them are similar to real world creatures - you have a fox, a pig, and a hare. Of the other three, you have a pre-roasted chicken, so that should be safe to eat. The Mamedanuki is a weird looking tanuki, also a real animal. The only outlier is the Chupacabra, but the developers likely thought to just keep it with the rest of the UMAs instead of giving it a new race.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was about to ask the same, and also where the passwords come from since I didn't quite understand that. I'm surprised the game lets you have a copy of Gore in your party considering how little sense that makes, are these just randomly generated for everything that has data in the game or something?

The random characters in the password decide what comes out of it. Everything in the game that is involved in a battle has a set of characters that identify them, and thus can be put into a password. By looking through the game's code, someone found the characters that would generate these extra "demons" that you aren't supposed to get.

Think of this password system like the password saves of early NES games. For example, there were all sorts of weird stuff you could start with but putting in random characters into the Metroid game, including one password which has you stuck in the first screen, with Ridley already defeated but nothing else done.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Just looking at the teleport maze minimap makes me scream internally. Why is this sector the best, again?

I don't think Dragonatrix is sane anymore.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

In terms of crew, they lose handily. We're the best of the best.

Too be fair, we are the best of the best... of governmental forces and mercenaries that joined us.

Jack's squad is a mercenary group, with their forces being of unknown origin. For all we know, their crew is filled with ex-military forces that weren't hired by the joint project.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

SweaterGear posted:

Demon-Jimenez is absolutely going to do something horrible in the near future. He's a ticking time bomb and should not be on the ship anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. The alignment heroes never do anything really bad until after the route split, whenever that is. After all, they have to trick you into doing something stupid and siding with them.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

The stories are always set up to have neutral as the "true" ending, with the other endings as just ways to get more demons and learn a bit more about the story. Because of this, the law and chaos endings are the least developed, and the characters for each suffer from the endings not being developed enough.

Alternately, the law and chaos characters are supposed to be so unlikable that you want to go down the neutral path, so you have to pay :20bux: to get official guide to figure out how to get the neutral ending (I'm looking at you, SMTIV).

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

"Oh, 3 floors? That doesn't sound too bad. Seems like the plot's finished so this should be easy enough now." ~ Me, as of about 2 years ago.

"...Oh gently caress I gotta actually play Grus now. Yay. :shepface:" ~ Me, as of about 2 months ago.

Oh good, Hitonari's yell snapped you out of your craziness as well. I knew there was something wrong when you were so happy to go through Eridanus.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Never played PQ, does it at least have good music? I still think SJ has some of the best music I've heard in any SMT/Persona game.

Do you like Lotus Juice? Because he does the normal battle and boss battle themes.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

SweaterGear posted:

This is just gross. Humanity's best and brightest have turned their back on their mission. How could someone decide that humanity is so beyond saving that total devastation or total subjugation is a better option? I'm really having a hard time sympathizing with anyone who would throw away their humanity (ie Jimenez and Zelenin) or those who'd side with them in earnest.

At least in her case, she is just being brainwashed. If she wasn't, she would be on humanity's side.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

In fairness about the Great Flood attack, it's actually not exclusive to the bible: for China, there's the myth "Great Yu Controls the Waters", India's Manu (who escaped the flood courtesy of Vishnu), Greece's Zeus killing everyone who didn't hide in a chest at some point, and Hawaii has the goddess Pele, which is a strange case of the flood helping to create the Hawaiian islands (by making them habitable) on top of also being an uncontrollable flood.

It's actually a pretty clever choice, assuming the devs knew about any of that.

It's also mentioned in the epic of Gilgamesh as part of the backstory. So yeah, the concept is pretty old.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

You shouldn't get so angry when making an argument with Tallgeese. There is no point to arguing with him unless both people are having fun.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

That new character kind of seems out of place with everyone else.

I assume that she's a demon in disguise. How else would she be in the Schwarzwelt without a Demonica?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

A nuke on one of the ships seems plausible, compared to the brainwashing gun they had.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh right, it's in May in America. Whoops! :v:

Wait, I'm in Canada...

Okay, my calendar says that Mother's day is in May, and Mothering Sunday in Ireland and the UK was on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for doing this LP. I don't know how much they will change to the remake, but I assume that most of the changes will be in the new ending route with Not-Marie. Going by what these remakes have been doing, the new ending will likely be "destroy the Schwarzwelt but in a way that stops it from coming back ever" because they don't want ambiguous endings anymore.

• Locked thread