Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I personally like to think that the protagonist's white bands on his suit designates that he's an outside recruit to the squads. Even more appropriate if you think of him as the only Japanese person present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Funny that while I know a lot of plot is too happen from this point onward, my memory of my time playing the game is so muddled that I have no idea in which floors or dungeons they happen in.

I think of all the bosses, Asura sticks out in my mind purely through it's design. It's big and has multiple arms to smack you with, and multiple heads to look at you angrily at with! I know there are and have been bosses with a lot more... eccentric designs, but for some reason, this guy is a sticking point among my memories of this game, despite me nearly forgetting Delphinus in it's entirety before this LP.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

How many demons like Mayahuel are there whose stat screens show the completely opposite information? Because that boggles my mind.

Also before I looked into the history and meaning behind the characters, I figured Tam Lin and Chu Chulainn were just different names of the same person. Palette swaps like that are so unheard of outside of the Mitamas, that I don't think I even noticed the different colours.

What's uh... the deal with that game breaking 'Jirae Unknown'? Your description of it makes me think of some weird MissingNo type thing.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

When I heard they detected another ship, I was so appy that I might see my friends again...
But I guess no matter what you do in the Schwarzwelt, there'll always be something that's not right...
Man... is the karma?

Repeated line there, also a typo in that third sentence. (at least I assume it's a typo)

Honestly can't believe I forgot about Captain Jack and his crew. It never occurred to me to think of them as the neutral faction, but it makes an odd amount of sense considering they're, well, neutral to all the deeper stuff going on. So who else thinks the black Demonicas look cooler than the gold ones?

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

"Mem is the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and Aleph is of course the first." This makes me imagine it's name is shortened to initials. If translated to English, could we call them T.J. or something, I wonder.

Anyhow, Fornax. We haven't stepped foot in it yet but... at the start of this LP, I completely forgot it existed, despite remembering the boss pretty clearly, and yet not recalling Ouroborous. I think Eridanus stuck out so much to me, and the big snake didn't, that my mind kinda replaced them with the following boss entirely. (Though now I definitely recall DIsaster Cycle turning my protagonist into stone once!)

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

That was a very abrupt diversion from our dungeon crawling. Anyhow, I'm guessing the 'true form' bosses suck so much mainly because since they literally just burst out the walls, the player has to be able to beat them mostly unprepared. Replacing Mabufudyne with Ice Breath is still head-scratching regardless though.

Die For Me has a really cool animation, seriously.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm greatly curious about your thoughts as a whole on SMTIV, pass 'lt's not good', that is.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

Based on area names, I predict that the final area we go to will be Indus.

I wonder if anybody could stand nine whole dungeons worth of this game though, even the fans.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm mixed on demon Jimenez's design. It's simple and effective enough, but it also looks like he's just wearing the demon parts, rather than looking like they're a part of him.

That 'fusion accident' gif is pretty wonderful, by the way.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Decarabia's sprite here is nowhere near as cute as his 3D models in the PS2 games.

...Oh, and Tiamat's dead. Fornax really felt like it just came and went, didn't it? Probably because all the most significant stuff actually happened outside it at Jack's HQ. Really looking forward to Grus though, because I've completely forgotten how it starts!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The Watercrown posted:

And so Zelenin has fallen from "Voice of Reason" and is gleefully drinking from the fountain of 'praise YHVH until he comes up with a solution'. That's always been my main point of complaint with characters who end up Law aligned. Not to mention that once they get whatever divine upgrade that specific entry gives them, they always completely discard their prior peaceful leanings and get even more kill-happy than the Chaos heroes.

I think you're an update early. Zelenin hasn't quite yet washed her head in any of Mastema's supposed brain water yet.
I mean. It's probably gonna happen for sure, but not just yet.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The Watercrown posted:

Jack's Squad are bragging about how they murdered the overseers that were left with them and how they're gonna kill the rest of the team too, but Zelenin is against any reaction that will directly cause any humans to suffer. Instead of coming up with a solution on her own, she's saying we should go see the angel to get told what the answer is. No 'probably' about it. She's already soaping up her brain and is now asking for permission to give Mastema the cleaning rag.

On the topic of Jimenezaboo, I really don't see why people are so keen on seeing him locked up. With how common demon usage is, the first solution to come to mind should be getting Hitonari to Scout him. Sure, he's a Special demon, so he'll be weaker once he's on our side, but that completely eliminates the need to worry about keeping him under control, because our demons only disobey because of status ailments.

Sure, her insistence on pacifism at this stage is probably silly, but from her perspective (and the player's too, really), Mastema has only ever been helpful. And honestly, I'd be hard-pressed to find any non-violent answer myself when an apparent 'easy' solution is available. Now, I'm not saying she's in the right, and I know ahead of time how her decision is going to go to the dumps, but I just don't see how Zelenin is currently acting particularly unreasonable.

Also I don't know if that scouting proposal is a genuine theory or not since it's bringing in gameplay elements into plot, but I'm pretty sure demons being weaker on our side is just one of those discrepancies the players suppose to shrug our shoulders at. I would also point out the ethics behind bringing someone who's still 'human-ish' under our control, but eh, the situation is so odd that I think it'd be pointless. Doubt he'd agree to it anyway.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I really do not like angel Zelenin. She was never the most nuanced of characters in the first place, but now she'll be perpetually talking like any one of the high and mighty angels dialed to the max. I thought the whole point of the alignment 'heroes' was to give a human perspective to the demons and angels beliefs, but now she's pretty much turned into a complete caricature and acts more like a robot than a person.

That outfit is at least memorable though. Beats generic robes and wings for sure.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Pretty much, the only unreasonable choice is the "Screw this I'm out" route, but it's still very understandable why those characters would pick that. Too bad the sequel despite generally having a better cast made the equivalent Chaos Route spearheaded by a Randian hypocritical sack of poo poo.

Wait, who are you talking about? I thought it was the 'Law' equivalent who mostly everyone seemed to hate for being kind of terrible and hypocritical.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm also under the opinion that the first DeSu had the best (as in you might go with them) alignment heroes as far as the conventional law and chaos. Mind you, I don't really remember too much about Naoya since he's not in a lot of the game past his own route and the law one. (Did he even show up if you go with Haru and Gin?)

Desu 2 a little less so. I admittedly give a lot of slack to Yamato than he probably deserves, but he only really goes nuts when you go on the path that wants to make the world completely opposite from his own goals. (I recall him being less of a loon if you side with th Anguished One). As opposed to Ronaldo who always violently declares you his enemy on any route that isn't his and is a terribly sore loser. I mean, I've no doubt Yamato could be just as cold, but actually witnessing Ronaldo trying repeatedly to murder the other party members for disagreeing with him kind of leaves an impression.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

No vote from me, but I gotta say Zelenin kind of torpedoed her arguement first by saying doing otherwise would be against the Lord's wishes firstmost instead of just being wrong, and then suggesting making use of her powers which everyone treats as questionably eerie. I mean yeah, murdering humans who have since been pacified is bad too, but they're also all murderers turned puppets so it's... hard to care.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Come now, the LPer gave you two options so we ought to play along.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

My memory of Grus was worse than I thought. I even forgot about Maya and thought you just headed straight to the 'everybody splits off to do their own thing' scene. Maybe Tiamat just left that much more on an impression. Anyhow, things can only get better from here though! Mostly.

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 1, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The designers aside though, I can't think of how any of the characters expressed sloth in their actions during this sector? Nobody really seemed like they were being lazy to me during that old debacle about whether to murder Jack's Ryan's Squad.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

On one hand, it doesn't feel right how easy it is to shift the player's alignment. But on the other hand, I'm really glad that goblin exists.

This whole thing with the angels and devas have been pretty underwhelming all throughout though

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Law and Chaos can each be good. But definitely not in this game.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'd say this game's atmosphere and setting still shine in my heart despite the gameplay itself being a slog every step of the way. I really want another SMT that's heavily into sci-fi like this. Robots, science-y machinery, a plot that reminds me of Aliens or something, etc

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

More padding, in the shap of eggs, but hey. It's building the hype for Horologium proper, at least?

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

B5f here marks the actual start of Horologium in my eyes, and the music is just lovely, a really somber piece that actually made me feel a little sentimental about coming to the end of the game despite all my issues with it.

Also bye Jimenez. No real fanfare for his death, but I suppose that's just how it goes when you're on the opposite alignment.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Chaos is not any better because it means you basically ignored the rest of the game. You have been fighting Chaos the enitre game. They have done nothig but demonstrate supreme hostility to you and the rest of humanity.

There's no reason to go Chaos whatsoever unless you are a particularly egotistical and stupid psychopath.

Putting aside how neither of these options are great, you seem to see Chaos and Law as just siding with demons or angels specifically, rather than pursuing what mindset you choose to follow. You can still agree with someone's viewpoint (to a degree) even when you're the worst of enemies.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I don't remember if Mem Aleph is actually behind that door or if you're just pulling a fast one on us, but wow I can't believe we're at the end already. I think I have a higher opinion of Horologium than I should because halfway through it I just gave up and used maps on Gamefaqs to lead me through it. That music is still great though.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Seraph here has the coolest design among angels

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Oh yeah, is there any context or reason why Mara has such a rockin theme song in Imagine? Not complaining in the slightest, just deathly curious.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

It's hard to get pumped up by a final boss that is just laying on the floor like they're waiting for dinner to be served. But seriously, what a ludicrous fight. Please utterly destroy Mem Aleph next chance you get. (It's not a spoiler to say there will be other times you fight her, right?)

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

This ending made me perfectly satisfied with my choice of going Law for my introductory SMT game. Everyone lived happily ever after, the end.

Did you really not feel the uncanny undercurrent during the whole thing? Every person on Earth dressed in white and singing praises is just not natural.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

Only one person made that choice though. For everyone else they were robbed of free will.

I just chalk that up to one of those SMT things that can't be helped.

If we were really absolutely weighing which one was 'not as bad' between Law and Chaos, then I guess I'd pick the former too. I just think it's weird when someone talks of it like it's something to be cheery about. Especially when like Strange Journey itself doesn't seem to be trying all that hard to sell you that 'at least some good has come of this'.

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 14, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

I point out that we already have an example of what happens to people affected by the hymn, and they don't exactly seem unhappy with it.

Just think of it as an ending in which you are high 24/7, which if it were presented as such would probably cause opinion to flip into "OH YEAH I WANT THIS" immediately, hah.

Not that I would ever choose to shape the world like that, but I would probably prefer if the angels and Zelenin constantly talked like a stoner. (Which in some ways, I guess she already does if you use your imagination?)

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Disappointed that the New Megaten subapp does not let you play a rom of an old SMT game

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

It would have made more sense and work just as well if Jiminez came in and just bullied everyone into submission. Be all 'my might makes right so try and say no if you're tough enough' or whatever. Here, he's just doing practically the same thing he got so mad at Zelenin for.

Great to see Gore get personally manhandled by Murdock though! Somehow this feels most appropriate for this route

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 22, 2017

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, who exactly wanted a 3DS remake of this?

Sincere question, will you be getting it? Also talk about impeccable timing.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised SJ gets a remake, far as I'm aware, it's not a super-popular game in the Megaten umbrella.

I can't think of any DS Atlus game that hasn't been or going to be remade for 3DS at this point. Except the Trauma Center games, but those did move to the Wii.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

So the game clearly seems to favour Jiminez over Zelenin in this route, considering Arthur was all 'you did what you had to do' with sad music playing after beating Jiminez, while absolutely nobody made note of how you dusted Zelenin before.

The Tyrannical Hero might just be my favourite battle music.

I never fought Demiurge but he looks like a pretty lousy fight! Look forward to him helping you beat Mem Aleph. Maybe.

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

There's really no better way to end than by having Mem Aleph blow herself up. Twice, even.

• Locked thread