Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I Stand With Colin.

Erm, or Sit, I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Hahaha, wow.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

cravius posted:

And people who think he's an idiot for believing that standing for the flag = supporting racism get to express that opinion too

Who said they can't what are you even taking about.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
It's just another way to dismiss conversation about change from the status quo in the same vein of talking down actual activism/protest as "pointless, since it's not going to change anyone's mind."

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Ahaha, what a mother fucker.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I was actually pleasantly surprised by his take.

I wouldn't even call it a "take" - it's basically the desired outcome of a protest like this. Boyer was at first mad then took the time to consider why Kaepernick is sitting before realizing he needs to listen more. If this is how the majority of people reacted to Kaepernick, it'd be considerable progress.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

His Q rating must be through the roof!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

cravius posted:

Yeah, but I don't think he would've done it if he had anything to lose

What makes you feel qualified to say that?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

E: I respect that you feel differently than I do about this, but I'm actually not trolling when I say that I don't think donating about a twentieth of one's yearly salary is a major feather in the cap.

Wait, seriously? Why is the amount he gives relative to his income more important than the actual amount? $1 million from an individual is a sizable contribution, whether it's a 2nd round pick spending his entire signing bonus, a player on a big second contract or Bill Gates.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

1 million from Bill Gates is not sizable in the least

A homeless person giving 5 dollars to a cause is a lot different from you giving 5, yeah?

What is the right amount to give to a charity?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

NC-17 posted:

None. You're just enabling them.

Hahaha

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Have you never read Walter Football? It's basically just a dude who writes about football with limited expertise disguised by his willingness to talk like he watches every college and NFL game well enough to scout/grade players. So basically a goon.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

Ron Rivera, head coach of the Carolina Panthers wants people to stop protesting and go vote.

North Carolina, the state that just a month ago had a massive voter suppression law struck down.

Well sounds like they'll have no issue voting, then, so we can finally get back to football!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
yeah it'd be better if Sherman hadn't changed his mind about it.

also Chris Long talked about supporting Kaepernick's protest and what it's about, but stopped short of kneeling himself.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Arguing for respectability politics around protesting for victims of police brutality is dumb as poo poo. This isn't like trying to get a law overturned by the Supreme Court where you want a good case that challenges a law in a specific way to get the desired outcome. There is already a narrative where only a "few bad apple" officers are shooting black people and it shouldn't be enabled by only talking about the ones white people can't easily justify in their head. White society isn't going to be accept change needed within policing as a whole without being made uncomfortable and forced to constantly examine the way black people are dying at the hands of police officers. The level of accountability police are held to is woefully misaligned with the privileges they're given but white people consider it a problem because they aren't victims of it like people of color. It needs exposure in every case for a difference to be made.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 23, 2016

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
hell im already changing my name to colin

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Cam wore his own shirt:

https://twitter.com/BrittMcHenry/status/780063416727769088

It's cool and good to see more and more players making statements in their own way.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

You are probably right...the light being shined on it is just brighter now ya think? It just seems like everyday there is something else that crops up and it suuuuuuuuucks

For white people, sure, but none of this is really new for the black community. There's an inherent trust in police decision making and benefit of the doubt given to their actions that has allowed systemic racism to fester unchecked since pretty much forever. It needs to be challenged and that's really only happening now because the means to record and share the deadly interactions black people have with police makes it harder and harder to dismiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Chichevache posted:

The best part is Colin isn't even doing anything. White America is so worked up they can't stop paying attention even though they want people to stop paying attention. It's kind of beautiful.

I also enjoy the crossover of people sick of "outage culture" losing their minds over the anthem protests.

• Locked thread