Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I for one think racism is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fidel castro iswas a self absorbed retard with mildly better politics than average so it's fitting he's mentioned itt

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

7wing and a mi77

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the moral tenacity that drives colin kaepernick's no-risk performative activism would be more impressive if he actually refused complicity in a scheme that exploits and casts away black men for the entertainment of the oppressing class

don't sit during the anthem, burn the loving flag and the NFL shield with it

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You don't see him getting fined for it though!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

without exception all ~10 people I have heard complaining about white people rapping along without skipping the word nigga were white

also the type to distinguish between "rap" and "hip-hop" so maybe the conception of nontraditional black music as legitimate art has something to do with that

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hifi posted:

True Story I did not know nelly - country grammar had a "dirty" version until like last year

st louis isn't exactly a clean city

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

blue squares posted:

why do I get the feeling you have not discussed this issue with many african americans

to be sure, most don't care. But if you want to really think about it, it can be an interesting discussion

I assume you get the feeling because I'm a goon and most goons probably know zero black people irl

I'm a lucky exception

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_zwl-lnmc

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

$1m is a really nice start, hopefully he gets a bit more generous but that's money that can start to make a serious difference

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's less than 2 percent of his guaranteed money on the current contract, nice but hardly cause for coronation

Guarantee you gave more to charity last year relatively

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That'd be a nice gotcha if I didn't specify his current contract's guaranteed total

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Spoeank posted:

It would be a great gotcha if it wasn't a loving joke. Maybe step back off the concern troll ledge for a seocnd.

I'm not as emotionally invested in this as you are, dude

Sheesh

E: I respect that you feel differently than I do about this, but I'm actually not trolling when I say that I don't think donating about a twentieth of one's yearly salary is a major feather in the cap.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you discount endorsements that's more reasonable, though I do expect the wealthy to have a greater civic responsibility

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Coldforge posted:

You must be gravely disappointed on an hourly basis. How do you even get up in the morning?

Doing my best to work for my community and petitioning others to help :shrug:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

Wait, seriously? Why is the amount he gives relative to his income more important than the actual amount? $1 million from an individual is a sizable contribution, whether it's a 2nd round pick spending his entire signing bonus, a player on a big second contract or Bill Gates.

1 million from Bill Gates is not sizable in the least

A homeless person giving 5 dollars to a cause is a lot different from you giving 5, yeah?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

What is the right amount to give to a charity?

A subjective figure to be sure. I personally give about 8-10 percent of my income but if I was wealthy I'd give considerably more

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Are you objecting to charity on principle, or the amount I choose to give?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

I think Kaepernick has shown that he is genuine and and dedicated to his cause, more because he has jeopardized his chance of future earnings than the million dollar donation. Even past that, the money he's making now is likely to be the money he needs for the rest of his life; retired NFL players don't exactly have a great track record financially after their thirties.

I don't think that really serves as a mitigating factor with 60m guaranteed.

Fred Jackson made a grand total of ~20m in his career and he's quietly put millions back into buffalo charities. Maybe he'll end up broke in 20 years but I trust his financial judgment

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Coldforge posted:

I hope they aren't objecting to the amount. They need to keep in mind the value of the work you do for your community, which is priceless.

It's probably valued at about minimum wage. The time is just more affordable for me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That's gross indeed

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Intruder posted:

Hating on someone for giving to charity because they could have given more is such a dumb thing. He also could have given nothing, so what?

Intruder posted:

Hating on

Tremendous Taste posted:

$1m is a really nice start, hopefully he gets a bit more generous but that's money that can start to make a serious difference

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

When you search #staywoke you take the good with the bad

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Where's that macro about white people complaining about how black people protest

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I guess Colin is just one of the good ones

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sherman's involvement is just posting trophy and laughing emoji after every Kaep text

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm surprised he didn't think it was too hip-hop

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

#7tormscumming

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chichevache posted:

"Mr. Kelly, can you describe him as "uppity" for my column?"

"Only off the record"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Nobody deserves to die. Nobody deserves to live, either.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The problem is not police as executioners, it's that these police execute a specific section of the population disproportionately and often without cause. Correct for this error and you have a useful tool for states both conservative and progressive.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kalli posted:

Well it is that too. I mean every other first world country manages a police force that kills at a rate near 1% of US cops. It's just another example of American exceptionalism at incompetence.

No, this is not a problem, it is an alternative. The fact the US outpaces other nations should be celebrated.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

fff-f-gently caress he looks like those people from the Wire, uhh*crosses street rapidly with head down*

Lol if you think that's not the majority of people itt

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Neil Armbong posted:

Setting aside the flawed conclusion about shootings, it shows that minorities are on the receiving end of uses of force by statistically significant margins. So where am I wrong about a need for reform of police treatment of minority perps?

You're wrong in that the reform is actually necessary in treatment of non minorities

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He seems like one of those people who would tell you unprompted that the panthers started free lunches, neighborhood watch, the space program, written language

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Stokely Carmichael was cool but the rest of the panthers are overrated

Sort of like Steve smith a few years back

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

DJExile posted:

These sad sack BUT ARE TROOPS responses are even more pathetic when even soldiers themselves are saying "this isn't about us, you dinguses."

It's not like the troops are very intelligent

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You can be really dumb while exercising your rights

For example, I support the Buffalo Bills

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I can't believe Ruth bader Ginsburg advocated lynching mlk jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010