Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kaep took advantage of the bye week to hold his "I Know My Rights" camp, a camp he and some friends planned and pulled off by themselves for kids in Oakland

Each kid got a shirt with 10 rights listed (You have the right to be free, healthy, brilliant, safe, loved, courageous, alive, trusted, educated, and to know your rights)

quote:

"We're here today to fight back and give you all lessons to combat the oppressive issues that our people face on a daily basis. We're here to give you tools to help you succeed,” he said. “We're going to give you knowledge on policing history, what the systems of policing in America were based on, and we're also going to teach you skills to make sure you always make it home safely."

Colin continued, "We want to teach you today about financial literacy, how you can pursue higher education, how you can be physically fit and healthy. We will talk about police brutality, and what to do about it, but we also have lawyers, professors, health and fitness experts, because we want you to be able to live the life of your dreams."

For the next several hours, the kids would attend smaller breakout sessions with leaders and experts challenging them to create powerful new habits for success. Not a single workshop was about sports, but instead they were all about essential life skills that would prepare the kids for a world that often treats people of color with an incredible harshness.

Kaep posted:

As many of you know, I was adopted. As African-Americans in general, it's often hard to know where our ancestry, where our roots are. As someone that was adopted, for me, it has been even harder. All I ever really knew was that I was from Milwaukee, but recently, I took an Ancestry DNA test and discovered that my ancestors are from Ghana and Nigeria. It changed everything for me. It helped me know that my history did not begin with being adopted. It did not begin with slavery. It's even part of why I wear this Afro now. I'm not going to hide who I am.

I want all of you to know what I know, so when you leave, in your bag, you'll see the forms where each and every one of you can discover your ancestry through your DNA for free. We've taken care of that for each of you. I want you to know what I know and know where you came from before slavery, before this oppression that we are experiencing, before police brutality, you had thousands of years of rich history and I want you to know your roots with that history.

Kaepernick is really cool and I hope he continues to do good long after he's gone from this terrible sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is why I'm super pissed about the whole California secession attempt. Besides it being dumb as gently caress just like the Texas one was, on the percent chance it actually happened, it gets a lot loving harder for the Dems to win...anything ever again. And they'd still be nearby enough that any incredibly stupid self-destructive disastrous thing the country does would still have a noticeable impact on them

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Guess I'm following Mike Evans on twitter now.

gently caress Donald Trump. Donald Trump loving ruined this country for me. I used to be able to pretend it meant something, but now? Now it can go gently caress itself.

That's actually the one good thing that's come out of this whole mess. Nobody can bury their heads in the sand anymore, continuing to say "everything's fine"

There's a lot of people who openly hate minorities and/or our fight for rights, or even just our fight to exist here. And you know at least some of them. We all do. We can't hide it any more.

The first step to fixing a problem is realizing and admitting there's a problem.

Also

Chichevache posted:

It just did.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All our heroes are dead

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All I've learned from this thread: Kaep rules; incompetent drools

• Locked thread