Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Colin Kaepernick is

*bad at football
*won't stand for 'Murica
*fails the paper bag test
*100% right

People have opinions about this and we need to hear them in a separate but equal thread that in no way exists to take this unreadable garbage out of the N/V thread so it can easily be gassed in a few days.

Also this is basically the NFC West chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/770008780197224448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

You think he'd be nicer to a fellow hater of American soldiers though:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sam bradford lmao posted:

Drew "Guantanamo Bay is a vacation resort" Brees

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

Kaep wont make it to next season though

Problem solved!

Also Michael Tanier posted a long article about how he was a public school teacher who was forced to make kids stand for the pledge by NJ law and that the NFL could do positive things with this, but won't, because they're the NFL.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

When you walk in a grocery store, and you might have $2,000 or $3,000 in your pocket and you go up in to a Foot Locker and they're looking at you like you about to steal something.

"You know, I don't think he faces those type of things that we face on a daily basis."

God damnit Rodney.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh my god I just realized how close we are to Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy discussing this before the season opener.

Oh my god.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm pretty sure Rodney was originally referring to Colin being adopted into a white family as a way to say he doesn't understand black culture but uh...

Man, that's still not a good place to start from and then he just started digging.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Literal rapist mad at Kaepernick

Roethlisberger posted:

“When it comes to the National Anthem and the flag, I think it stands for something different. You know, like you said, family, brothers, my grandfather served in the Navy—people that have served this country—men and women who’ve lost their lives...to me that’s the National Anthem we stand and support because they give us the freedom to play this game. We are so, so lucky to play a game that we love...and that’s because we have the freedom that soldiers have given us.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darth Brooks posted:

I have to wonder how well Kaepernick would do in Minnesota.

Did he run much play action? I know he can do read-option, which you have to imagine would work out as well as that can with AP, but I'd think with Teddy injured they'd want to switch from heavy shotgun sets to just as much play action as humanly possible.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I figured he just said that so he doesn't have to put his hand over his heart.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Colin Kaepernick gives a twenty minute long interview laying out exactly why he's doing what he's doing, the people he's worked with and what he hopes to accomplish.

But yeah, he probably just wants to get cut because he sucks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2651681-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-kaepernick-anger-intense-in-nfl-front-offices

quote:

Across NFL front offices, there are team officials who are not offended, and even embrace, the controversial position of Colin Kaepernick. They are out there. Statistically, they have to be. But they are keeping a low profile.

They seem to be far outnumbered by the members of NFL front offices who despise him. Truly, truly hate him.

"I don't want him anywhere near my team," one front office executive said. "He's a traitor."

A traitor?

He wasn't alone in the anger directed toward Kaepernick. In interviews with seven team executives, each said he didn't want Kaepernick on his team. This is far from scientific, but I believe this is likely the feeling among many front office executives. Not all. But many.

All seven estimated 90 to 95 percent of NFL front offices felt the same way they did. One executive said he hasn't seen this much collective dislike among front office members regarding a player since Rae Carruth.
Remember Rae Carruth? He's still in prison for the plot to murder his pregnant girlfriend.

Personally, I think the dislike of Kaepernick is inappropriate and un-American. I find it ironic that citizens who live in a country whose existence is based on dissent criticize someone who expresses dissent.

But in NFL front offices, the feeling is very different.

"He has no respect for our country," one team executive said. "F--k that guy."

Another said that if an owner asked him to sign Kaepernick, he would consider resigning, rather than do it.

There could be some executives who have no issue with Kaepernick, but I doubt there are many. Each executive said he believes Kaepernick will likely get released by the 49ers—and never play in the NFL again.

That is one of the main themes here. Like these executives, I feel we won't ever see Kaepernick play for another NFL team. There is precedent for this. Chris Kluwe, a former Vikings kicker, said on CNN this week he believes he was banned from the NFL for expressing his views on gay rights.

When challenged that Kaepernick didn't break a law, or an NFL rule, and that it's his right to sit during the anthem, the response, consistently, was that it's also a team's right to not sign him. And to also dislike him.

Why? It seems the executives feel this way because they believe Kaepernick to be un-American. They also don't believe he appreciates what he has. Many of them pointed to Kaepernick's salary and said he would never make that kind of money if not for football.

"In my career, I have never seen a guy so hated by front office guys as Kaepernick," one general manager said.

This is a league that has signed domestic abusers, accused murderers, players who killed another person while driving drunk and dudes who park in handicap spaces. But Kaepernick is the most hated person he's ever seen? A non-violent protest? Really?

Yes, apparently, really.

One last thing on Kaepernick from these team officials: They think it's only a matter of time before the 49ers release him because of external pressure. Not because Kaepernick isn't close to the player he was, but because, to the 49ers, he's become radioactive.

Their belief is that the team will wait a bit, maybe a week, for the controversy to quiet (a bit—it's only going to quiet so much in a week) and then release him.

I've heard from people close to Kaepernick that he fully expected to be released by the 49ers once everyone became aware of his actions, and he also knew his football career would be in jeopardy. I've also been told Kaepernick would then dedicate his life to one of social activism.

But hey you know, Kaepernick just wants ~* exposure *~ you guys.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hope Kaep takes the field with ACAB written in eyeblack across his face.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MrSargent posted:

My new favorite is "MLK knew how to protest the right way and had solutions for change."

Yes, let's hold everyone up to the standard of MLK and completely ignore them if they don't meet that ridiculous standard for what you think is the "right" way to protest.

My fav. response is that he thought they loving suck:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

cravius posted:

Statistically you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than killed by a cop

No, no, deaths of cops is lower then deaths from lightning strikes per year.

Somewhere between 10 xand 20x as many people are killed by cops in the US as die by lightning strike. Records are a bit funky because cops sure do lie an awful lot about that sort of thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

cravius posted:

I didn't say killed I said struck

Okay, so it's still somewhere between equal and twice as many people are killed by cops then struck by lightning.

Grittybeard posted:

I was like...I thought I saw something about this but...

50 people per year die from lightning strikes in the US and 10% of lightning strikes are fatal.

Cop deaths have been sub 50 per year for quite awhile.

Cops so far have killed at least 730 people this year in the US.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

White people are the biggest bunch of pussies. Scared of blacks. Scared of immigrants. Scared of gays. Scared of ISIS.

GROW SOME BALLS WHITE PEOPLE

Pretty sure fear of doing that is why North Carolina passed that bathroom law.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Someone took out the knives: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypocrisy-of-tony-la-russa-and-the-understandable-fears-of-black-baseball-players-045857175.html

quote:

Tony La Russa, a convicted drunk driver who managed one of the most steroid-addled clubhouses in modern baseball history and today oversees an organization that at the trade deadline passed along to multiple organizations private medical information about a player it wanted to deal, spent Wednesday playing moralist, a role that suits him about as well as chief baseball officer for a major league franchise.

It's real good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hello fellow millennials, I am here to talk about how none of us watch any tv anymore except for Live sports and whatever Netflix picked up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

When Europeans first settled this continent they had two big thoughts. The first was that God had called them to create a good and just society on this continent. The second was that they were screwing it up.

Well I guess slavery and slaughter would be screwing it up.

quote:

The early settlers put intense moral pressure on themselves. They filled the air with angry jeremiads about how badly things were going and how much they needed to change.

Oh okay, I guess we can expand on the slaughter.

quote:

By 1776, this fusion of radical hope and radical self-criticism had become the country’s civic religion. This civic religion was based on a moral premise — that all men are created equal — and pointed toward a vision of a promised land — a place where your family or country of origin would have no bearing on your opportunities.

And definitely on the slavery.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sports Illustrated wrote a piece about Cam Newton running away from being black even faster then he does loose fumbles.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/16/cam-newton-colin-kaepernick-anthem-protests-race-panthers-49ers

quote:

Part of the shift has to do with GOP pollster and PR advisor Frank Luntz. Luntz has worked with the Panthers before—Deadspin outlined some of his work with them and Cam Newton in a piece from 2014, which included, as the article says, “a campaign to enhance the image of several players and the organization.” He was called in (by whom is unclear) this off-season to help Newton frame discussions on race among other topics, according to people close to Newton. Luntz, who declined comment on this story through a spokeswoman, is often credited with prompting the phrase “climate change” rather than global warming and helping Newt Gingrich with his 1990s “Contract With America.”

It’s also not hard to see where he stands on Kaepernick’s recent protests.

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/771555776699609089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

quote:

Newton clearly didn’t want to talk about race in that summer interview with GQ—the interviewer himself said as much. In an interview with ESPN before last Thursday’s opener in Denver, Newton seemed baffled as to why the color of one’s skin makes us so divided despite the mountains of evidence compiled over centuries of just why that has come to be.

Stephen A. Smith, in a polished 15-minute response, deconstructed Newton’s post-racial rhetoric. Regularly controversial, Smith did so while not necessarily blaming the quarterback for saying these things, but also posited that these comments could be a matter of protecting Newton’s brand.

Newton also did an interview with Charlotte TV station WCCB before the Denver game that got much less publicity than his other comments. Here he addressed police brutality.

“It’s not just police killing black people it’s…people make mistakes. People make mistakes often,” Newton told the station. “No matter the color, no matter the age, no matter the size or what have you. In my community, it’s people that’s killing people. And that’s all across America. So it’s not a point in time where I just don’t want to fingerpoint and hold this specific entity up to a standard that we’re all not living up to.

“Do I think it’s right? No. But I just think we all, as a whole, should be better. You know? And I don’t think skin color, I don’t think culture status, should kind of alienate certain people from others. That’s just not something that I believe in. I believe in treating everybody right.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

That's my favorite myth.

It's not a myth that 90% of murdered blacks are murdered by other blacks... but something like 88% of murdered whites are murdered by other whites. I have no idea why anyone ascribes relevance to that statistic.

The answer is because they think black people are responsible for the ghetto.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

v2vian man posted:

I agree with you guys and all but I think the Brooks and Isola takes are much more harmful in this discussion than Newton. The sheer number of loving idiots out there is depressing

Yeah, I'm sad Cam chooses the Russell Wilson route, but I can't blame him for getting by. Frank Isola is just another lovely sportswriter who panders to those idiots and David Brooks should be launched into the sun for sure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh, I guess we hadn't heard anything from this dumbass yet:

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/777533816659283968

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

The 3rd verse of which has been cut because it talks about fighting fornthe right to have slaves. There is room for nuance here.

Also being super stoked that they're killing the poo poo out of the slaves fighting for their freedom with the British.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ron Rivera, head coach of the Carolina Panthers wants people to stop protesting and go vote.

North Carolina, the state that just a month ago had a massive voter suppression law struck down.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

Just sucks i cant really do much to help from here

Honestly, I'm not sure how much Kaepernick can do at this point.

The initial reaction to his protest, and his perfect response to that has set the stage for a whole lot of other public protest and attached a lot of very public personas to the police brutality problems that blacklivesmatter came into being over. Combine that with cops murdering black people on a pretty much daily basis and this could snowball out of control.

CyberPingu posted:

Eh, the UK (well, England and Wales) voted to leave the EU which is one of our primary supports, based on a load of bullshit racist views...so yeah, we're not that great too

Tinged with an incredible amount of classism compared to the US. UK racists hate the polish and other poor Eastern european immigrants almost a quarter as much as they hate Muslims, and that's a view almost unfathomable to the American bigot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

What doubly sucks is the more these shootings occur, the more public backlash there will be and the more good cops will be killed in the line of duty paying the crimes of their scumbag associates.

And yet very few to no good cops will actually oppose the awful ones. The blue wall of silence makes an awful lot of otherwise good cops awful. Leadership being unwilling to investigate, discipline and fire bad cops and prosecutors being unwilling to charge them leads to a culture of terrible policing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

go3 posted:

Chicago is a completely different problem and this year might break some trends, particularly in the officer death column, but as a whole the US is safer than ever.

Yeah, Chicago is it's own special little hell when you consider the police were running a literal black site torture den.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

drat, good job Chip.

Reporter is apparently Lowell Cohn

Hmm, let's look at Cohn's most recent articles:

49ers should have cut Kaepernick
49ers' Colin Kaepernick ignores the contradiction of his outrage

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 22, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

"Then we have a fundamental disagreement, then!"

"... Well, I'm the coach of this NFL team and you're some jackass with a badge and a recorder... Do you have any questions about... I don't know... fuckin' football coming anytime soon?"

It'd be pretty great if Kelly had ended that by saying, "so you want players to refuse questions not related to football and yet you want me to focus on this non-football related question?"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tremendous Taste posted:

The problem is not police as executioners,

Well it is that too. I mean every other first world country manages a police force that kills at a rate near 1% of US cops. It's just another example of American exceptionalism at incompetence.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm bored of chimpout guy, so instead:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/779369042050187264
https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/779372978735906816

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That is a very cool jersey

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What does the Insane Clown Posse think about Colin Kaepernick?

This is important to me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently I'm Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick posted:

“Trump always says ‘Make America Great Again.’ Well, America’s never been great for people of color. And that’s something that needs to be addressed. Let’s make America great for the first time.”

But Kaepernick is not a supporter of Hillary Clinton, either.

“To me, it was embarrassing to watch that these are our two candidates,” Kaepernick said. “Both are proven liars and it almost seems like they’re trying to debate who’s less racist.

"And at this point, talking with one of my friends, it was you, you have to pick the lesser of two evils, but in the end, it’s still evil.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

I'm a little annoyed that he's doubling down on the "they're both equally bad!" argument, when one candidate has met with BLM supporters / leaders and has verbally supported their cause, where they other as you said, literally supports stop and frisk.

I mean, I wouldn't outright disagree if someone said Hillary's arms' length support of BLM is for political purposes, but I'd rather have someone who on the surface was supportive of that than literally taking the stance of "Blacks are always armed, we should stop them and take their guns away."

Kaepernick literally did not do that though.

quote:

"And at this point, talking with one of my friends, it was you, you have to pick the lesser of two evils, but in the end, it’s still evil.”

Just because Trump is a nightmare candidate doesn't absolve Hillary of also being a lying garbage candidate with a lovely history on race. One's just your normal southern democrat and the other is Klansman Foghorn Leghorn doesn't mean we shouldn't call a spade a spade.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MrSargent posted:

I am absolutely not saying that Hillary doesn't deserve criticism or there isn't more she could be doing. But she actually spoke out about Tulsa and Charlotte recently and gave a great response when asked if cops are racist during the debate. Calling her "evil" isn't calling a spade a spade. If Kap wants more done for racial equality, he should throw his support behind Clinton while at the same time bringing up policy or changes that she needs to champion as President. Dismissing the potential president of the US as evil instead of working with her to enact change seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Considering Hillary's history, the Democrats repeated attempts to minimize and ostracize the BLM movement in general and the public perception of what Kaepernick has been doing, what makes you think Hillary would want anything to do with him? A majority of white democrats are against Kaepernick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

One of the nights of the DNC was literally dedicated to the Mothers of the Movement (aka the parents of Trayvon Martin / Sandra Bland / Eric Garner etc). I'm not sure that''s ostracizing them.

They do make nice tokens to try and placate BLM. What have the Democrats actually proposed as policy to address their concerns? Hillary's speech in particular pointed to the same horseshit that's going to get what? probably 1100-1300 people killed by cops this year? It'd be cool to know, but the DoJ isn't even allowed to gather that data. As we saw with the released emails, their plan was little more then to... coach candidates to not directly talk about black on black crime or All Lives Matter.

• Locked thread