Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Data. He is super OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But as has been established T'Pol has bazookas

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Whole ship computer is broken: data can program it in 5 seconds.

Insane alien has mind-taken the whole crew for the 999th time and possessed them like demons or w/e: Data is immune

I-Beam has fallen on someone: Data can just pick it up easily with his super strength

Boarding party rolling in: Data easily shoots all of them with his perfect precision and also punching power.

Complex puzzle alien has trapped them in a crazy puzzle realm: Data easily solves the mystery

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm guessing these are literal weapons because as a Star Trek watcher I am sexually inert and autistically literal

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

Insane alien has mind-taken the whole crew for the 999th time and possessed them like demons or w/e: Data is immune

I-Beam has fallen on someone: Data can just pick it up easily with his super strength

Boarding party rolling in: Data easily shoots all of them with his perfect precision and also punching power.

Complex puzzle alien has trapped them in a crazy puzzle realm: Data easily solves the mystery

how does Data catch the drunken orgy virus in episode 2

he's a robot how does he contract it why is he affected

Why is he fully functional? Why did this have to be established in the second episode?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Bearded Riker is a great member of the cast.

true

but is he as good as the Spockman

8-Bit Scholar posted:

how does Data catch the drunken orgy virus in episode 2

he's a robot how does he contract it why is he affected

Why is he fully functional? Why did this have to be established in the second episode?

It's S1 give him a break

Riker didn't even have a beard yet nobody knew what they were doing

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Smythe posted:

Data got possessed by an alien prison ghost or something along with Troi and O'Brien

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Sisko is definitely the scariest captain. He's the one you don't wanna gently caress with. If you cross him, he'll loving murder you and nuke your planet.

Sisko is also like the only person in Star Trek who actually still knows how to throw a punch and doesn't do those pansy-rear end palm strikes or Kirk's hilariously awkward fighting moves. I mean, granted, I love Kirk doing double fisted punches, chops, dropkicks and... whatever the gently caress he does, but he'd get his rear end kicked in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU&list=PL42A2532C91CE1F86

Those are all still way better than the limp-wristed nerd slaps they do in TNG though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

data is very OP to help balance out warf whos basically a paper tiger with so much emotional baggage you need a whole runabout to carry it around

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Picard is better at the actual job of being a Captain, but Kirk is a more interesting and fun character to watch on the tv. Since these are tv shows and not actual Captain jobs, I'm siding with Kirk.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Monkey Fracas posted:

true

but is he as good as the Spockman

It's S1 give him a break

Riker didn't even have a beard yet nobody knew what they were doing

Beardless riker is...... Unfortunate.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Each captain has her\her own strengths \ weaknesses.

Kirk:
Hammy acting: 10
Goofy fight scenes: 8
Sex with alien women: 9
Facing death \ no-win scenarios: 3
Following the rules: 2
Parenting skills: 1

Picard:
Diplomatic skills: 10
Impassioned speeches: 10
Shiny bald head: 7
Works well with children: 3
Fighting skills: 2
Flute playing skills: 1

Sisko:
Yelling at people: 10
Dad skills: 8
Killing people: 9
Baseball playing skill: 3
Religious faith: 2
Hammy acting: 3

Janeway:
Bipolar syndrome: 10
Mass murder: 8
Emasculating Harry Kim: 10
Coffee addiction: 9
Not getting crew lost 70 years from home for stupid reasons: 0

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its bill adama op

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Each captain has her\her own strengths \ weaknesses.

Kirk:
Hammy acting: 10
Goofy fight scenes: 8
Sex with alien women: 9
Facing death \ no-win scenarios: 3
Following the rules: 2
Parenting skills: 1

Picard:
Diplomatic skills: 10
Impassioned speeches: 10
Shiny bald head: 7
Works well with children: 3
Fighting skills: 2
Flute playing skills: 1

Sisko:
Yelling at people: 10
Dad skills: 8
Killing people: 9
Baseball playing skill: 3
Religious faith: 2
Hammy acting: 3

Janeway:
Bipolar syndrome: 10
Mass murder: 8
Emasculating Harry Kim: 10
Coffee addiction: 9
Not getting crew lost 70 years from home for stupid reasons: 0

You forgot painting 1, Picard and Creole cookin' dad 11, Sisko.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Archer:
Not Sure If Disappointed or Just Sleepy: 9
Can't Get Enough Time Travel: 10
Case of the Not Gay: 2
Shirt Wearing Ability: 3
Ham fisted Morality: 9

Which poor non-comm takes care of the drat beagle and cleans up its poop while Archer is on away missions?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Jose posted:

its bill adama op

Captain sheridan for life.

"You heard?"
"I heard."
"They need to believe."
"Not in me."
"You can't save them all."
"I'll try."
"You'll fail."
"We'll see." :black101:

https://youtu.be/Jli3ruqWYlc

Dude was hardcore enough to be elevated to Jesus-level and it didnt go to his head. He DID start talking like the old assholes tho.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Let's all of us right here and now just agree that Janeway is objectively the worst captain.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

Archer:
Not Sure If Disappointed or Just Sleepy: 9
Can't Get Enough Time Travel: 10
Case of the Not Gay: 2
Shirt Wearing Ability: 3
Ham fisted Morality: 9

Which poor non-comm takes care of the drat beagle and cleans up its poop while Archer is on away missions?

Every captain we know of gets a d- for following the temporal directive on their report card but iirc archer is the only one that tells a t-man to get the hell out of his office. :waycool:

Kinda a shame they killed trip and cancelled the show when they did. I thought it was getting really good, and a few seasons of federation-building would have owned.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Let's all of us right here and now just agree that Janeway is objectively the worst captain.

Yeah she sucks poo poo. Pouted and angsted like a teenager for literally months dueing the long dark or w/e.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Every captain we know of gets a d- for following the temporal directive on their report card but iirc archer is the only one that tells a t-man to get the hell out of his office. :waycool:

Kinda a shame they killed trip and cancelled the show when they did. I thought it was getting really good, and a few seasons of federation-building would have owned.
I agree it had it's share of crap like every other Star Trek but I enjoyed a lot of things about Enterprise.

Seriously nothing is worse than season 3 of TOS though where all the writers quit and Kirk was turned into a caricature of an already caricatured character. And the Halloween episode with the giant house cat lmao.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

There's a LOT of tos that hasn't aged well. The high points are high tho.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a tossup between her and Archer.

The showrunners of Voyager didn't bother to give characters personalities so Janeway's character changes from episode to episode. They weren't really sure who they wanted Janeway to be aside from "the Captain." Sometimes she's girl Picard or girl Kirk, sometimes she's batshit crazy. Her characterization just isn't consistent. Kate Mulgrew said that she thinks Janeway has bipolar syndrome and tried to portray her as increasingly unhinged as she and the other actors became increasingly frustrated with the show over its run.

numberoneposter posted:

I agree it had it's share of crap like every other Star Trek but I enjoyed a lot of things about Enterprise.

Seriously nothing is worse than season 3 of TOS though where all the writers quit and Kirk was turned into a caricature of an already caricatured character. And the Halloween episode with the giant house cat lmao.

There's like, 3 episodes from TOS season 3 that are good. Maybe 5 episodes worth watching at all from that season.

"The Enterprise Incident", "Day of the Dove" and the "Tholian Web" are worth watching, and you pretty much have to see "Spock's Brain" and "the Savage Curtain" so you can see "BRAIN BRAIN WHAT IS BRAIN" and Abe Lincoln call Uhura a charming negress. The rest is just bad, forgettable or both.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Nathilus posted:

Yeah she sucks poo poo. Pouted and angsted like a teenager for literally months dueing the long dark or w/e.

I mean... the actual warcrimes weren't great either...

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dreddout posted:

I mean... the actual warcrimes weren't great either...

I'm willing to forgive a lot of craziness because of the desperation of the situation. Command failures are another matter though. She loving tanked morale just because she was woolgathering. For a looooong rear end time.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gammatron 64 posted:

"Spock's Brain"
For those who don't know about the objective best episode in Star Trek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKDQfVbWqc

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

join the federation: no capitalism, no bras

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah it really sucks because she's well, the only lady captain, but that's really the fault of the writers more than anything.

SFDebris has a great running gag where she's just a psychopath purposefully stranding herself and her crew so she can accrue superweapons/figure out how to neuter the Borg threat as part of a long-running game to take over the Federation and run the galaxy. It plugs up so many holes I've come to accept it as Janeway's real character.

He's even got a great bit in Nemesis that explains the long-standing problem of "Why the gently caress did Janeway get promoted and Picard not?" Because Janeway reprogrammed the Federation computers to promote her whenever a promotion for Picard came through, that's why. Now that she's back in the alpha quadrant she engineered all the poo poo in Nemesis as an excuse to militarize the fleet, kill all the other Admirals, and start her conquest of the galaxy. It works so much better than the actual canon it's almost spooky.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Which second banana wins in an orgy: Spock, Data, Odo, Tuvok, or T'Pol?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Although to be fair I have a giant boner for Yeoman Rand like Charlie X levels of wanting to bone her

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sisko pulls some hardcore gangster poo poo too.

Pfft Sisko is no gangster. Kirk litteraly conquered a gangster planet by being the most hardcore banger of all. that planet now pays protection money to the federation :getin:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

WARP CORE BREACH IMMINENT

:gizz:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sisko was better as a jive talking badass on Spenser for Hire.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sisko is so much better.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

"Sisko is a better Captain than Picard. This is fact, not conjecture."
-Brandon Bird

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

"Sisko is a better Captain than Picard. This is fact, not conjecture."
-Brandon Bird

ha ha holy poo poo these are amazing

http://www.brandonbird.com/jen_sisko.html

http://www.brandonbird.com/love_is.html

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Although to be fair I have a giant boner for Yeoman Rand like Charlie X levels of wanting to bone her

My man :hfive:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Did someone say Janeway yet????!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

computer, load holosuite program "strapon janeway"

computer, erase all holosuite activity history

• Locked thread