Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

The thing to remember about MMA is that it is still a sport. This is most obvious when you see people turning around and showing the back of their head to their opponent, who doesn't take that opportunity to inflict massive injury on them (hits to the back of the head are not allowed).

I'm not really sure what Ninja VS MMA fighter is supposed to prove when a 'real' ninja or whatever would probably immediately try to gouge your eyes out.

The most 'effective' moves are often also illegal moves in MMA because effective fighting is about disabling your opponent by any means necessary as fast as possible.

illegal moves:
groin shots
small joint manipulation
joint breaks without allowing opponent to submit
eye gouges
fish hooking
biting
"rabbit" punches
strikes to the back of the head
grabbing clothing
"spiking"
throat strikes
trachea strikes
ear ripping

That sounds like a sex date to me! :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

R-Type posted:

That sounds like a sex date to me! :razz:

Eye gouge? I barely knew her! :haw:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Well given a sample size of one I'm inclined to think Holm is the better fighter.

Given the variance in the UFC that's a terrible assumption.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Wamdoodle posted:

Eye gouge? I barely knew her! :haw:

Eye gouging and biting are the oldest illegal moves in sport, since ancient Greek olympics. Everything else was allowed in their fighting event called Pankration, although Spartans allowed even that.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Sheep-Goats posted:

Given the variance in the UFC that's a terrible assumption.

Better than the opposite.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Moridin are you a clown in a goof suit in real life too?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nah, not more than anyone else I suppose

I tone it down a lot irl though SA is kinda my venting zone

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Better than the opposite.

That doesn't mean it's not a terrible assumption and it's not necessarily better if you have other information you can consider that can outweigh that one point you're obsessed with.

tl;dr: Hurr Douglas beat Tyson therefore Douglas better than Tyson hurr hurrr

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
the only reason downward elbow strikes are illegal in mma is that an old lady from the nevada athletic commission saw a video of a mcdojo guy breaking cinder blocks with his elbow and she actually thought that was real so when the rules were written up she specifically requested that "downward elbows are banned" be put in there

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a retard posted:

the only reason downward elbow strikes are illegal in mma is that an old lady from the nevada athletic commission saw a video of a mcdojo guy breaking cinder blocks with his elbow and she actually thought that was real so when the rules were written up she specifically requested that "downward elbows are banned" be put in there

actually a bunch of doctors and MMA people got together when writing the rules and decided they were crazy dangerous strikes

thanks tho

quote:

The meeting consisted of representatives of a number of major MMA organisations including Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Pride Fighting Championships and International Fighting Championships (IFC) as well as doctors and referees in New Jersey, United States. In the meeting, doctors raised concerns about 12-6 elbows after seeing an IFC match where 12-6 elbows were used to the back of a fighter's head. One doctor argued that they could be life-threatening, and refused to sanction any set of rules that didn't prohibit them.[3]

McCarthy argued that the rules already prohibited strikes to the back of the head and questioned if it was just the 12-6 elbow strike that was the problem. Following this discussion, Nick Lembo wrote the Unified Rules, including a rule prohibiting downward elbow strikes.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
drat I wish I could be a Shogun Samurai

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it also mentioned that descendants of ninjas are actually looked down upon in Japan bc ninjas are dishonorable or whatever

dumbo Japanese lol

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Germstore posted:

Ah, your tiger's fist style is no match for my spray and pray Tec-9 style.

Do you want to go shoot up a Costco with me later today?

a hole-y ghost posted:

Easy now buddy... put it down... you have so much to live for..

gently caress you, you're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do! :mad:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

The thing to remember about MMA is that it is still a sport. This is most obvious when you see people turning around and showing the back of their head to their opponent, who doesn't take that opportunity to inflict massive injury on them (hits to the back of the head are not allowed).

I'm not really sure what Ninja VS MMA fighter is supposed to prove when a 'real' ninja or whatever would probably immediately try to gouge your eyes out.

The most 'effective' moves are often also illegal moves in MMA because effective fighting is about disabling your opponent by any means necessary as fast as possible.

illegal moves:
groin shots
small joint manipulation
joint breaks without allowing opponent to submit
eye gouges
fish hooking
biting
"rabbit" punches
strikes to the back of the head
grabbing clothing
"spiking"
throat strikes
trachea strikes
ear ripping

How is this a real opinion? lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's usual Moridin920 loneliness spam.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Keg posted:

How is this a real opinion? lmao

how is "MMA is a sport not real fighting" a real opinion?

idk how are you so fuckin dumb

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

She seems p legit, op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmTk2Gbl2E

:agreed: I also enjoyed posting pavel petel in that thread

Mods Knew I loved that thread

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Moridin920 posted:

how is "MMA is a sport not real fighting" a real opinion?

idk how are you so fuckin dumb
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oa7ibbrCcu1r3uvu0.mp4

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

99 Headmates posted:

I remember the GBS thread where a bunch of nerds fantasised about beating up a woman who could easily knock all of them out.

Which woman was that?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not saying takedowns aren't effective, I'm just saying the rules of the sport make it such that takedowns and the ground game are the better strategy most of the time even though irl they might not be so that's why people often have the complaint of 'this is just hugging and takedowns.'

To be honest the initial lunge or whatever it is called most of them do would be immediately met with a downward elbow to the back of the head from someone who isn't just some random drunk idiot getting slammed into the ground. Crazy illegal to do in the ring but not hard to pull off when they are shooting at your waist.

I didn't think I'd be reading a passionate defense of anti-grappling by someone who actually believes in it in 2016, but here we are.

Life sure is full of surprises sometimes!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

grappling owns, wrestling owns, chael sonnen owns

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

demian maia owns

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

a retard posted:

wasnt there a black dude with relatively little training who used to get people on the ground and jackhammer their heads with his elbow? he caused serious concussions in everyone he beat and did serious damage to himself in the process. i thought that was why they banned it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
In the arcade by my house as a kid they had a ban on using Edwin Honda's grab and hug in Street Fighter II, so don't you tell me about having to fight within limitations

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I bet Rousey plays as Oddjob in Goldeneye

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just a quick reminder, people thought Ronda Rousey could beat up Floyd Mayweather, what a world

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Now... We both get what all this means... but do you think you could explain this picture for some of those out in the audience??

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

Just a quick reminder, people thought Ronda Rousey could beat up Floyd Mayweather, what a world

People wanted Ronda Rousey to fight Demetrious Johnson, a man who gave up a career at a box factory only after he became the best p4p fighter on planet earth and a twitch streamer.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Keg posted:

People wanted Ronda Rousey to fight Demetrious Johnson, a man who gave up a career at a box factory to become the best p4p fighter on planet earth and a twitch streamer.

That's even funnier

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ElGroucho posted:

isn't Floyd mayweather 5 feet tall

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

I didn't think I'd be reading a passionate defense of anti-grappling by someone who actually believes in it in 2016, but here we are.

Life sure is full of surprises sometimes!

dude all i'm saying is going for the grapple irl will result in an elbow to the back of your head if the person you are trying to grapple knows what they are about lol idk why that's so controversial to you goon lords

there's a reason the 12-6 elbow is banned

LegoPirateNinja posted:

wasnt there a black dude with relatively little training who used to get people on the ground and jackhammer their heads with his elbow? he caused serious concussions in everyone he beat and did serious damage to himself in the process. i thought that was why they banned it.

dunno i'm not super well versed in mma history but it wouldn't surprise me sounds like some IFC before they unified the rules poo poo to me

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i would have payed good money for rousey vs dj

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

dude all i'm saying is going for the grapple irl will result in an elbow to the back of your head if the person you are trying to grapple knows what they are about lol idk why that's so controversial to you goon lords

:chloe:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Moridin, you're just brutal to read dude.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

ROFLburger posted:

i would have payed good money for rousey vs dj

Same

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
look just watch some actual Muay Thai champions from Thailand who are just starting to realize MMA is a thing fight, they push people's poo poo in

just watched some dude try to shoot and take a knee to the face for his trouble

e: dejdamrong sor amnuaysirichoke

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 30, 2016

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

This is probably a dumb idea but I'm actually going to respond to you in good faith: you're missing the point of those videos entirely. It doesn't matter how many super deadly mortal kombat fatality techniques you know if you can't land them on someone who is not only trying to avoid them but is also trying to hurt you right back. And it's pretty hard to get good at something you can't practice under those conditions without injuring your training partner. So in all of those "ninja vs. an actual athlete who intends to gently caress up his poo poo" videos the ninja dudes always get their faces pounded in because their training regiment of cosplay, larping and reading revisionist history doesn't magically give them the power to ploink someones eyes out like they're in a three stooges movie, and surprise surprise it doesn't magically give them any conventional wrestling/punching skills to fall back on when their secret techniques fail them either.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

This is probably a dumb idea but I'm actually going to respond to you in good faith: you're missing the point of those videos entirely. It doesn't matter how many super deadly mortal kombat fatality techniques you know if you can't land them on someone who is not only trying to avoid them but is also trying to hurt you right back. And it's pretty hard to get good at something you can't practice under those conditions without injuring your training partner. So in all of those "ninja vs. an actual athlete who intends to gently caress up his poo poo" videos the ninja dudes always get their faces pounded in because their training regiment of cosplay, larping and reading revisionist history doesn't magically give them the power to ploink someones eyes out like they're in a three stooges movie, and surprise surprise it doesn't magically give them any conventional wrestling/punching skills to fall back on when their secret techniques fail them either.

ninjas are dumb yeah. I'm not saying they aren't.

I'm saying MMA dudes are idiots for putting a "ninja" in a ring with an MMA fighter and going 'see MMA fighters are better than anyone else' because in reality MMA is a sport that has little to do with actual fighting for life or death and a lot of the things that the sport will let you get away with in a ring can result in getting injured badly against someone who really wants to hurt you and doesn't care about fighting rules.

e: hence why I said real 'ninja' in the quotes

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like bro when they're grappling on the ground trying to get advantage and their hand is 2 inches away from the person's nut sack? in a "real" fight they'd grab that poo poo and squeeze/tear as hard as possible and now gl grappling them anymore lol

i really dunno why you guys have to make what I say into something else. I'm not defending "ninjas" at any point here.

• Locked thread