Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

She was always a bad fighter.

When money and talent started to come to women's mma that got proven real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Chinatown posted:

connor came back within months and beat the dude who beat him while ronda went on ellen and cried lmao

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Fire Barrel posted:

Yeah. Even some historical manuals tell you that the best way to win a fight is to avoid it! Especially if groups get involved. And these were written when people being armed with at least knives or daggers was assumed. Being tough or a good fighter won't make you any less easy to kill with a knife or something.

Also, places that try to advertise that their poo poo will make you unbeatable in random fights are places to avoid and should have the same reputation online that traditional "mcdojos" have.

Street fights are really, really stupid and should def. be avoided altogether. I've read about several people in my city alone over the last few years that have been killed by a single punch. They get knocked unconscious and then fall headfirst onto the pavement and are dead. And the guy who threw the punch, thinking he was going to show how tough and manly he was by knocking some dude out just like in the UFC, is now a murderer.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Neurolimal posted:

Mma used to be like this then dweebs started treating it like a real sport and now everyone does limp kicks and grapples and haymakers

Iirc there was one dude some ufc goons were cheesed about because he intentionally acted like a smug wrestling heel for the spectacle

The big name fighters who get a cut of the PPV money (or gate maybe?) have to basically promote the fight themselves. So they have all kinds of idiotic fake drama, poo poo-talking and "bad blood". Then of course after the fight they are best buds.

Or if your name is Ronda Rousey, you take the promotional fake poo poo-talk from the opponent extremely personally and act like a piece of poo poo after the fight, refusing to even shake the opponent's hand.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I've watched a few MMA fights in my day, but I know jack poo poo about actual fighting and techniques. And I'll be honest, a leaf falling from a tree onto my head almost gives me a concussion, so a question...

When a dude throws an elbow into some guy's face or is doing the ol' elbow-strike-to-the-head-over-and-over move, how are they avoiding shattering their own elbows or hitting their funny bones?

From what ive seen, most fighters are throwing glancing elbows to slash the other person open, not to knock them out. The exception is downward elbows to the side of the head when clinching I guess.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 2, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

doctor 7 posted:

Fake edit: I tried looking this up but couldn't find it. Maybe it's not Tank Abbott but gently caress I swear I remember some Jet Li guy going against just some bar brawler and getting utterly ruined in the octagon.

I'm sure there have been fights like that.

Though in the earliest days with no rules or weight classes, you would see a tiny jiu-jitsu guy in his gi owning everyone. I've watched MMA on and off for a long time, and it seems like pretty much every fighting style has had its time as the "best" type of fighting or the best base for MMA-- Jiu-jitsu, wrestling, boxing (sorta), judo, karate, muay thai, catch wrestling, etc. Though now it seems like everyone trains everything (just general MMA) and we don't see that many X vs. Y fighting style matches. I always thought that was part of the fun TBH.

Also come to think of it, kung fu never had its time as a top style that I can remember. Maybe just not a lot of traditional Chinese fighters ever made it to Pride or UFC. I always wanted to see that though.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

proof of concept posted:

the strongest base for mma is 209 motherfucka

ftfy

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 2, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

proof of concept posted:

Listen for it when Holmes is hugging her corner men over the side of the cage

Hahah "NOOOO!!!!!"

Ronda's fall and ragequit was so awesome because of how much she bought into her own hype. And because she is a piece of poo poo and terrible sport.

Before the Holy Holm fight, there were a LOT of MMA talking heads (lead by Joe Rogan her #1 fan) who had hyped Ronda as the greatest fighter, man or woman to ever walk the Earth. And that there could never be anyone even close to her skill level. Meanwhile, any sane person knew she was fighting in a laughably shallow division with women who could not even afford to fight full-time, couldn't afford the best coaches, trainers, full camps before fights, etc. As soon as that changed and money started coming into women's MMA, you had elite fighters and athletes come with it and Ronda got exposed in the most hilarious way. The meltdown from her fanboys was so amazing to witness.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

Remember Joe Rogan almost breaking down in tears about how incredible Ronda was on his podcast, haha, good times

:lol: I had forgotten that.

*fighting tears* "It has nothing to do with being a rockstar!! She's getting lit up!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Werdum is a national treasure.

• Locked thread