Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I've watched a few MMA fights in my day, but I know jack poo poo about actual fighting and techniques. And I'll be honest, a leaf falling from a tree onto my head almost gives me a concussion, so a question...

When a dude throws an elbow into some guy's face or is doing the ol' elbow-strike-to-the-head-over-and-over move, how are they avoiding shattering their own elbows or hitting their funny bones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Thanks for the elbow answers.

I've watched UFC off and on from the very beginning. When it first arrived, it was a total novelty thing and more of a "who would win between a boxer and a sumo wrestler" type setup. Matches weren't one-and-done; they were multi-round elimination matches and several people just forfeited because even though they won, they had exhausted/mauled themselves and couldn't physically go on to the next round.

My favorite WTF moment from this era was the one clear-thinking boxer who came into the ring wearing a boxing glove -- as in a single glove on one hand! Needless to say, he was annihilated in short order. Good times.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
so for those of us not familiar with the entire Roundy Rashy saga, did she rage quit MMA after getting beat for the first time, because if so, loving :lol: forever

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Did she do that MMA pre-fight thing where she called out her opponent beforehand as a drooling mongoloid retard noob? Is that what's going on here?

Maybe that's it. It wasn't the loss so much as the fact that she shoveled a mountainload of poo poo-talk and then proceeded to get owned. I know I get red faced when I make fun of someone's hat in TF2 and then get ganked by them -- it stings a little.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

here's a hella fun fight though, kung fu dude in the red/black shorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8hRwnTw7M

you ever see a cat catch a mouse and just play with it for a while?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

doctor 7 posted:

Roy Nelson had pretty incredible cardio too for such a huge guy.

He could go maybe a round and a half before he was done. Usually guys if his size have maybe a minute before they are done.

I loved it when he won a match and rubbed his belly with both hands in celebration.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I just rewatched the Rousey loss and wow, she looked terrible through it all. She tries to grapple three times: twice Holly ends up shoving her away; the third, Holly throws her down.

The rest of the match is spent stucking her face out so Holly can punch the gently caress out of it.

Great match because you can see Rhonda going from little miss badass to having a meltdown in 7 minutes. First she's angry, then she's frustrated, then she's almost crying, and then she's unconscious.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
It's really cool seeing how women's MMA has progressed so quickly. I remember most fights being kinda sloppy just a few years ago.

I forget their names, but I also rewatched the straw-weight championship match on the same card as the last Rousey fight... drat... I couldn't believe the kicks and combos they were stringing together. It was beautiful to watch. I mean, I can't fight my way out of a paper bag, but their technique looked pretty awesome to me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Serious question: has that guy suffered any brain damage from that injury? I mean, he's got to be a bit hosed up permanently from that, right?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
jesus, I've seen it all on the internet, but something about that photo gets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Nierbo posted:

In an australian fight promotion a long time ago, a fighter pulled out at the last minute and steve irwin and his entourage was there watchung fights and steves bodyguard jumped in and fought the other guy on like 20 mins notice, it was pretty sweet. I have the whole card on dvd

The most amazing this about this is finding out that Steve Irwin rated a bodyguard.

• Locked thread