Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
as far as I can tell most of their better off citizens are secret super villains

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Gotham has a lovely night club and sex dungeon scene, so all the wealthy just get their kicks beating the poo poo out of the poor and one another while wearing zentai suits.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like no one would live in Gotham anymore

like surely after the 5th time the Scarecrow gassed the entire city you might be like 'alright let's fuckin' move to LA gently caress this'

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

like surely after the 5th time the Scarecrow gassed the entire city you might be like 'alright let's fuckin' move to LA gently caress this'

lol. i'd stick to gotham before i ever move to LA

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Fire Barrel posted:

Ah, I wasn't assuming they have healthcare. But if they're in prison with life threatening injuries or serious injuries, someone is spending for their care.

I was addressing WorldsStrongestNerd. Still, I think Batman would lose money in the long run because of all the minor thugs who get beat nearly to death, then use the emergency room under an assumed name and skip on the bill.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
There's a very small but real chance you might get kissed by poison ivy. Or graze some catwoman boob.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Moridin920 posted:

Agreed but there are two factors you're failing to take into account.

1. Cussedness "I was born here I'm gonna DIE here!" *killed by a creepy mask gang 2 seconds later*

2. Moving, especially from one city to another, requires resources. The poor often can't easily afford to relocate out of town.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

2. Moving, especially from one city to another, requires resources. The poor often can't easily afford to relocate out of town.

Yeah but they aren't all poor, there's like bankers and middle class people and poo poo too. I guess your property values would be stupidly low but whatevs man.

Like why do rich people stay in Gotham lol they're rolling the hard 6 every time they go to another one of Bruce's parties

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but they aren't all poor, there's like bankers and middle class people and poo poo too. I guess your property values would be stupidly low but whatevs man.

Like why do rich people stay in Gotham lol they're rolling the hard 6 every time they go to another one of Bruce's parties

For the rich it's easy. They own all the capital in gotham and are making $$$ by keeping the proletariat down. When they start hating their dead gay city they can always just go to their place in the comicbook hamptons or long island or w/e. (heh. Comic book north carolina)

A permenantly destitute underclass is baller as hell if you rich. It means labor will have less leverage.

As for middle classers, you could ask why any of them stick around detroit or any other rust belt city. They follow the jobs then get old and no longer have the capability to care whether or not the place they live is hell on earth.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Metropolis doesn't have nearly as good a nightlife, and while you're much safer on most days on occasion poo poo hits the fan real hard and you wish you were back to motorcycle juggalos trying to behead you.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Germstore posted:

Metropolis doesn't have nearly as good a nightlife, and while you're much safer on most days on occasion poo poo hits the fan real hard and you wish you were back to motorcycle juggalos trying to behead you.

Still a better deal than detroit.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Does this man look like a Fascist to you?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Wicker Man posted:

What a punk rear end nerd. Couldn't even raise the fact he's a playboy millionare, and so can get away with being a basement dweller.

afraid of women and raises children as a catamite as well

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Batman is cool though, I prefer Moon Knight though because he cranks the crazy way up and understands beating up the poor is more for fun than it is an act of justice.

Going ham on some poors with only the slightest provocation while wearing body armor and having a massive tech edge would be awesome. I'm jealous of my great great great grand-pappy for getting to do it on some Cherokees

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Zorodius posted:

The Shadow did it first; The Shadow did it better.

Doc Savage would actually lobotomize the bad guys he captured to "cure" their criminal tendencies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the remake of Doc Savage, to get around the monstrous heroism of using brain surgery, they're instead going to cure the villains by throwing their unconscious bodies in a pit with rabid, hungry wolves.

Bruce Wayne is also going to funnel all his Batman money into buying up real estate and then running for mayor. He'd then enticing be city officials to pass new laws, get Arkham shut down and have the patients scattered to different institutions and forcibly relocate select citizens and criminals via bribes to depart for Metropolis.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Going ham on some poors with only the slightest provocation while wearing body armor and having a massive tech edge would be awesome. I'm jealous of my great great great grand-pappy for getting to do it on some Cherokees

Woah,

I just realized that not Superman, but Batman is the personification of the American dream!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Bruce Wayne is the major financial supporter of Proposition 488, which would make it legal in the city limits of Gotham for people to dress up in costume and perform anonymous citizen arrest actions using force as long as they don't carry a handgun.

This November, keep guns off the streets of Gotham. Vote Yes on Prop 488.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Actually it's just that in the DC Universe Batman really is a deterrent to crime. Just how it goes.

It's 'cause he's a good guy. That's how comics work.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo he just perpetuates his own existence

i mean come on he's been fighting the same crop of criminals for decades at some point it becomes a theater piece. how many times is Joker going to 'escape' from Arkham Asylum before Batman stops putting him in there?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

OP is right. In fact all superheroes are just gestapo in tights. They embody our subliminated wish for an authority figure who punishes all the "right" people and is never hampered by the frustrating necessity of due process.

Crime is still wrong though whether you're poor or not.

who watches the watchmen?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

imo he just perpetuates his own existence

i mean come on he's been fighting the same crop of criminals for decades at some point it becomes a theater piece. how many times is Joker going to 'escape' from Arkham Asylum before Batman stops putting him in there?

I think you're applying real world logic to a comic-book. A clear (warning) sign of too much time spent on the internet.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Joker's crazy, but not stupid. He makes drat sure that he only successfully kills the right people to keep some cop hellbent for revenge from shooting him to death in his cell.

Just someone who had a family member killed by the Joker and devoted the next several years to become a GCPD cop, work their way up the ladder, work through all the Gotham City nightmares and become a beloved hero to the boys in blue, all just to be able to be close enough to shoot the Joker to death during a prisoner transport, drop his gun and put his hands up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

I think you're applying real world logic to a comic-book. A clear (warning) sign of too much time spent on the internet.

yeah ordinarily but this is a thread about taking batman seriously and we're all just playing along to have fun :colbert:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Joker's crazy, but not stupid. He makes drat sure that he only successfully kills the right people to keep some cop hellbent for revenge from shooting him to death in his cell.

Just someone who had a family member killed by the Joker and devoted the next several years to become a GCPD cop, work their way up the ladder, work through all the Gotham City nightmares and become a beloved hero to the boys in blue, all just to be able to be close enough to shoot the Joker to death during a prisoner transport, drop his gun and put his hands up.

Problem is, it wouldn't work. The gun would jam, the Joker would talk his way out of it, talk the guy down, maybe even convince him to turn the gun on himself. Even if he fired, it wouldn't kill the man. Somehow, he'd end up surviving in a coma, it'd be a flesh wound, the tire would hit a bump in the road and the shot would go wide

Only one man can kill the Joker. Only the Batman.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Three men with knives pulled surround a frightened woman. Suddenly a batarang drives itself deep into one of their hands and the other two take boots across the head. "Don't worry. You're sa-"

The woman screams, "HAVE YOU NOT CONSIDERED THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC SITUATION THAT DROVE THEM TO-"

"Ma'am, if you would ple-"

"THEY COULD HAVE CONCUSSIONS!"

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nckdictator posted:

Does this man look like a Fascist to you?

Okay what the genuine gently caress? I was certain canon was "Batman never kills"? Or is it "Batman never kills except that one time he murdered the gently caress out of that baby?"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KomodoWagon posted:

Okay what the genuine gently caress? I was certain canon was "Batman never kills"? Or is it "Batman never kills except that one time he murdered the gently caress out of that baby?"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

KomodoWagon posted:

chill, dude. That's just Batmohel

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

KomodoWagon posted:

Batman use to kill people pretty regularly in his early appearances. Also, if you try to take a more serious take on the character then it becomes difficult to discount the deaths he's indirectly responsible for or those that occur as a result of collateral damage.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
batman, with his genius intellect, can not deduce that funding welfare programs would have more impact on reducing crime than even his apprehension of major criminals like the joker

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Lastgirl posted:

who watches the watchmen?

Rorschach on the other hand, was 100% intended to be a fascist caricature and instead neckbeards worshiped him as a Randian icon and the template for modern-age antiheroes which further drove Alan Moore to isolation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

"Well at least here we know Batman is watching our backs and you don't need to worry about aliens n' poo poo like they've got in Metropolis. Who the gently caress is out in LA? Plus when poo poo happens to Gotham people care. Remember Coast City or San Diego? Exactly. They say Central City is nicer and the Flash takes care of the Rogues way easier but like gently caress we're living in the Midwest."

"What about Star City? Green Arrow's just like Batman but his villains aren't nearly as scary or numerous."

"Honey we've talked about this. gently caress you."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Something should be done about all these 'capes' imo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Instead of the typical, villain going up through the ranks, some sonuva bitch whose claim to fame is that he got on the front page once as a costumed villain with a crew during his first outing, then getting relegated to partnering up with someone like Two-Face, then making himself a hired gun, eventually just becoming a mob enforcer, then just a random gang member, and it all ends with him becoming security at the docks who is eventually killed by ninjas or Joker because it's Gotham.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Bruce Wayne donates 20 million real american greenbacks to finance a new regional LORT contract theatre, but with one caveat: every season must include a 4 week run musical about the mysterious vigilante Batman, written, directed, and starring Wayne himself.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Germstore posted:

Three men with knives pulled surround a frightened woman. Suddenly a batarang drives itself deep into one of their hands and the other two take boots across the head. "Don't worry. You're sa-"

The woman screams, "HAVE YOU NOT CONSIDERED THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC SITUATION THAT DROVE THEM TO-"

"Ma'am, if you would ple-"

"THEY COULD HAVE CONCUSSIONS!"

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Arkham Asylum has the worst criminal containment of all time. Wtf. Villains use it like a hotel. Homeland security needs to come down on that place HARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nathilus posted:

Arkham Asylum has the worst criminal containment of all time. Wtf. Villains use it like a hotel. Homeland security needs to come down on that place HARD.

The justice department needs to come down hard on Gotham city judges for declaring every schmuck who gets arrested in a costume as being insane. Rob a liquor store? Batman kicks your rear end and you spend 10 years in prison. Rob a liquor store while dressed as a leprechaun or something else stupid? Batman kicks your rear end, you spend 2 months in Arkham and now you're personal friends with Two-Face and The Joker.

• Locked thread