Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The justice department needs to come down hard on Gotham city judges for declaring every schmuck who gets arrested in a costume as being insane. Rob a liquor store? Batman kicks your rear end and you spend 10 years in prison. Rob a liquor store while dressed as a leprechaun or something else stupid? Batman kicks your rear end, you spend 2 months in Arkham and now you're personal friends with Two-Face and The Joker.

Yeah. I mean ok most batman villains are insane, but not the kind that gets you sent to a hospital instead of declared competant to stand trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this view is gospel in cined

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the early batman who killed people with guns was just a lame as gently caress shadow ripoff. that period didn't last long and had no real influence on the comics that followed.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I like cinema d

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

KomodoWagon posted:

Okay what the genuine gently caress? I was certain canon was "Batman never kills"? Or is it "Batman never kills except that one time he murdered the gently caress out of that baby?"

The explanation is really,really dumb.

Back in the 1700's a bunch of people (including Thomas Jefferson) decide to summon a demon in Gotham City. They try doing this by sacrificing/murdering some poor woman but they get halfway through the ritual before they get scared and all run out of their temple/basement/cellar and lock the woman in to starve to death.

The Riddler finds the diary of one of those cultists and decides it would be a great idea to summon the demon by sacrificing Batman.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

The explanation is really,really dumb.

Back in the 1700's a bunch of people (including Thomas Jefferson) decide to summon a demon in Gotham City. They try doing this by sacrificing/murdering some poor woman but they get halfway through the ritual before they get scared and all run out of their temple/basement/cellar and lock the woman in to starve to death.

The Riddler finds the diary of one of those cultists and decides it would be a great idea to summon the demon by sacrificing Batman.

NOT READING ALL THIS poo poo, and i want to PROBATE YOU for MAKING ME SCROLL IT. Return to your foul lair of the comic forum

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, Batman needs to perform a tracheotomy on a baby in a crisis.

That makes perfect sense, no need for the entire loving comic synopsis.

Who wrote that? That comic is like ten shades of melodramatic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

Okay what the genuine gently caress? I was certain canon was "Batman never kills"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfH3bDPNGHw

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh, Batman needs to perform a tracheotomy on a baby in a crisis.

That makes perfect sense, no need for the entire loving comic synopsis.

Who wrote that? That comic is like ten shades of melodramatic.

80s Batman comics were pretentious as balls

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh so it was actually Batman giving a bat-traecheotony to a month-old baby. Good job batman

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfH3bDPNGHw

80s Batman comics were pretentious as balls
was that the decade when "dark gloomy brooding Batman" got its start? because if so, gently caress 80s Batman

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

So now I've got that cat girl gif from other thread but imagining Hitler's face

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
its like that old nursery rhyme:

batman batman sittin in a tree
where is batman hes in the tree

batman batman have you any wool
batman batman baaaaaaatman

batman batman sittin in the rain
batman batman baaaaaaatman

goooo batman

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

je1 healthcare posted:

Rorschach on the other hand, was 100% intended to be a fascist caricature and instead neckbeards worshiped him as a Randian icon and the template for modern-age antiheroes which further drove Alan Moore to isolation.

tbf watchmen was really popular and nobody knew what the gently caress a charlton comics (what the characters were based off of, specifically the question for rorschach) even was

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

was that the decade when "dark gloomy brooding Batman" got its start? because if so, gently caress 80s Batman

Yeah. There was some good low-key poo poo in the 80s, but for the most part it cast a giant shadow over the entire property. The comics managed to get away from it by the late 90s but most of the movies/TV shows cling to brooding garbage because the gooniest-rear end motherfuckers you can imagine are the most profitable segment of Bat-fans and they eat that poo poo up. Except that Brave and the Bold cartoon, which was the knowing self-parody of Lego Batman before Lego Batman.

50s-60s camp Batman, 70s moody pulp Neal Adams Batman, late 90s/early 00s Vigilante Family "paranoid lunatic with prep time" Batman, and late 00s Grant Morrison-"everything is canon" adventuring Batman are all so much better it's not even loving funny.

a retard posted:

tbf watchmen was really popular and nobody knew what the gently caress a charlton comics (what the characters were based off of, specifically the question for rorschach) even was

Hardcore DC fans back in the 80s probably did, but yeah if anyone who read Watchmen after 1990 knows who the gently caress they were it was because they did research or someone obnoxiously forced the information on them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

most of the movies/TV shows cling to brooding garbage because the gooniest-rear end motherfuckers you can imagine are the most profitable segment of Bat-fans and they eat that poo poo up.
movie-wise, if WB keeps laying people off like they've been doing over the past year or so and continues to bleed money from debacles like Suicide Squad and Batman vs. Superman, then they're gonna at least explore changing direction. can't speak for the TV shows though

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So far the live-action TV shows exist in this weird-rear end insulated pocket of DC where they actually got lighter from its start and found great success, even on CBS of all loving places. I mean don't get me wrong at least half of it is still loving terrible like all superhero stuff is, but it's good-terrible instead of terrible-terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2hfCktDv7w

Oh and don't let anyone say "the animated movies are still good." They've been garbage for about a decade straight with the exception of Brave and the Bold and Teen Titans Go! which are literally for small children.

So you can expect the WB to keep completely loving ignoring everything going on here because for some reason they bet 10 straight years worth of tentpoles on the whims of a frat boy who is really good with slo-mo.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 31, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Y-Hat posted:

movie-wise, if WB keeps laying people off like they've been doing over the past year or so and continues to bleed money from debacles like Suicide Squad and Batman vs. Superman, then they're gonna at least explore changing direction. can't speak for the TV shows though

I wanted to like batman vs superman. Both of its plots, both the titular one and the death and return of superman one, are some of my favorite of that continuity. And to be fair I'm enough of a fanboy that I don't regret seeing it in a theater. But goddamn, what a hot mess. They're probably not gonna do a movie with all the fake supermen and then the return of the real one now, are they? :(

BTW I still have a mint copy of the death of superman as well as the copy I read, gonna be worth money someday~. I am a dumb rear end.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Oh and don't let anyone say "the animated movies are still good."

fwiw I watched that Wonder Woman animated movie on Netflix and it was pretty good. I'm sure it was better than the live action Superman/Doomsday movie that recently came out.

have not seen any others

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok I'm harsh on that poo poo, I admit it.

It's not that the DC animated movies are bad as much as they range from "terrible" to "aggressively mediocre." They've mostly become a way for DC to translate comics that will never get a "true" live action adaptation-- The New Frontier, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, Flashpoint, Earth-2--in a way that lets them milk money from fans who are too lazy to just read the drat book and grognards who mistake "faithful" for "good."

For real if a DC animated movie is supposed to be a direct adaptation of a popular stand-alone book like The Killing Joke, just go and read the loving book instead. All of the animated versions struggle to break even with the original books much less transcend them. You see, no matter how many film nerds tell you otherwise a comic is more than storyboards for a potential movie. Comics are designed to be read in unique ways at a reader's own pace, while movies are strictly linear at a fixed rate. This means a lot of moments you can let "sink in" in a comic just don't translate well to a movie where you'll be onto the next scene before the impact hits.

Oh, and :goonsay: loving hardcore.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Dark Knight Batman was best because he was just a psycho that liked to hurt the right type of person for society to accept him. At least until Frank Miller went insane following 9/11 and was told he couldn't use Batman for his insane Far Right views any longer.

Anyway, The Dark Knight is the only Batman series that should be remembered.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I liked The Killing Joke after fast-forwarding through all the stupid poo poo about batgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I watched a documentary about the Bat Kid, where a lukemia kid got to be Batman in San Francisco. Well let me tell you it gave me some really conflicting feelings knowing that this kid basically wants to be a big racist Hitler and ppl all over the world are just eating it all up.

• Locked thread