Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I think it's fair to interpret Batman as an emotionally stunted wealthy man getting revenge for his parents' murder by brutally beating street level perps, rather rather than using his wealth to attack the structures that help perpetuate crime and inequality in Gotham. He funnels his wealth, and his company's wealth, into a pet project that's ultimately fruitless and which has the sole purpose of letting Bruce Wayne live out his crime busting fantasy. Like a power fantasy within a power fantasy. Also, as others have pointed out, crippling criminals means they gotta be taken care of at some point! Also, in old Batman comics he kills people surprisingly often.

A healthier way to tackle crime would probably be to use that wealth of his more responsibly. Somehow, though, I suspect a comic about a socially engaged billionaire philanthropist critical of the corrupting influence of wealth inequality and shady politics in Gotham wouldn't be quite as exciting a read, nor would it be good fodder for most movies or games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Tricky D posted:

I don't think your assumption, that the criminals of gotham city have medical insurance or benefit from universal healthcare, is very likely.

Ah, I wasn't assuming they have healthcare. But if they're in prison with life threatening injuries or serious injuries, someone is spending for their care.

notZaar posted:

Wait, we're on to something here. Bruce Wayne should lobby for universal healthcare so he can continue to physically abused the street level criminals of Gotham City.

Personally, I think Bruce Wayne seems like the type to lobby for private prisons rather than universal health care.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

KomodoWagon posted:

Okay what the genuine gently caress? I was certain canon was "Batman never kills"? Or is it "Batman never kills except that one time he murdered the gently caress out of that baby?"

Batman use to kill people pretty regularly in his early appearances. Also, if you try to take a more serious take on the character then it becomes difficult to discount the deaths he's indirectly responsible for or those that occur as a result of collateral damage.

• Locked thread