Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
fan death is real and that's why your dorm room doesn't come with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

peanut posted:

Try to get along with everyone and don't be afraid of a commute. :/

Realtalk...

I commuted from Providence to Chestnut Hill in Boston for a year to go to grad school. I usually took commuter rail + the T. My daily commute often worked out to 5 hours or more, and since some of my classes were in the evening (starting at 8 p.m.), I was often at risk of missing the last train from South Station. There were also inclement weather considerations - poo poo got real bad whenever there was lots of rain (always) or lots of snow (christ).

Be realistic about the effects of your commute on your quality of life and your ability to be a good student and get the most out of your program. If you have a significant other and you commit to a long-rear end regular commute, you're not going to see them very often! Your commute can also be costly, and that poo poo is not tax deductible for my fellow 'Muricans. My schedule also meant that I didn't get to socialize very much with my classmates outside of campus, so I missed out on shitloads of networking. I don't talk to any of those guys now that we're all 5 years out!

All that said, I did enjoy my grad program and I learned a poo poo ton, but it was a real tough year and sometimes I'm not sure how I managed to graduate and not lose my scholarship.

• Locked thread