Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Oh cool look another one of those intensely popular monogamy orgies. Is everything just retard mode at burning man or...? :jerkbag:

wait wait so this is just couples loving all in the same tent but not actually having an orgy?

jesus christ it's like something out of a zizek joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I kinda wish the orgydome's® a/c malfunctions so we end up with a mass die off of techies.

I will sacrifice a goat to a pagan god of mischief if it will boost the chances of that happening.

Wamdoodle posted:

Argh, what about the poor sap that has to clean afterwards :barf:

He is quite possibly the most underpaid man in the Western world.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dreddout posted:

He is quite possibly the most underpaid man in the Western world.
i think they do it for free actually. prolly the owners/friends or w/e take care of it

most bm staff is volunteers because they give you free admission if you do a bunch of work for free. otherwise its like $1k a ticket.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The only people I know who have gone to burning man (for realz, cause there are millions who claim to have gone) are the Tech's managers and CEOs, who can afford such a thing. Hell, one was a hedge fund manager, another was a guy who started a company with dad's money and knew poo poo about what he did but he had the money to buy very techie toys and a camper vehicle for the event (which he then abandoned somewhere). Both brought their hot young girlfriends who were mortified and didn't want to touch anyone in any way.

And yeah, monogamy orgies...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bedevere posted:

The only people I know who have gone to burning man (for realz, cause there are millions who claim to have gone) are the Tech's managers and CEOs, who can afford such a thing. Hell, one was a hedge fund manager, another was a guy who started a company with dad's money and knew poo poo about what he did but he had the money to buy very techie toys and a camper vehicle for the event (which he then abandoned somewhere). Both brought their hot young girlfriends who were mortified and didn't want to touch anyone in any way.

this all sounds extremely not plur

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Oh cool look another one of those intensely popular monogamy orgies. Is everything just retard mode at burning man or...? :jerkbag:

Monogamy orgy!? What the gently caress!? If your gonna do debauchery, go all the way. You can't half rear end it. I'm unreasonably angry at this new fact :mad:

Not really but still dumb tho

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bedevere posted:

That actually sounds kind of cool.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
how does any of that sound cool, other than maybe as an opportunity to rob/scam the gently caress out of some rich people

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Wamdoodle posted:

Monogamy orgy!? What the gently caress!? If your gonna do debauchery, go all the way. You can't half rear end it. I'm unreasonably angry at this new fact :mad:

Not really but still dumb tho

I think you underestimate just how white bread these people actually are.

They don't want actual hedonism, they just want to roleplay hedonists.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i was walking around the lovely part of the international district trying to get rid of a big gulp full of my boyfriends urine and this quartet of bros wearing matching wayfarers rolls up in a escalade kitty corner from me and yells at this effete vietnamese dude twenty paces in front of me about pokemon go like "where did you guys hide all the dratini" or some poo poo for the whole red light. seeing as how i was never planning on seeing them again i started to wind up for a throw but of course i took too goddam long and they peeled off the moment the light changed. welp thats my tech bro story hope u enjoyed, piss out

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah you can't hesitate to throw piss at them lest you miss your opportunity

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Bedevere posted:

One of my coworkers goes every year. I have pics so I know he isn't lying. Unless he makes more than I do (he doesn't) I don't think it's ridiculously expensive to go. Cut your poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ticket was like $900 last I checked, plus you need camping supplies for about a week in the desert. That last bit varies wildly - if you bring a tent and bottled water and ramen yeah it can be cheap. If you bring an RV stocked with food drinks and drugs it can run costs up rapidly. Plus you gotta take that time off work.

It's not exactly cheap for the average person.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Dreddout posted:

I think you underestimate just how white bread these people actually are.

They don't want actual hedonism, they just want to roleplay hedonists.

I guess I just don't understand Burning Man :saddowns:

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Ticket was like $900 last I checked, plus you need camping supplies for about a week in the desert. That last bit varies wildly - if you bring a tent and bottled water and ramen yeah it can be cheap. If you bring an RV stocked with food drinks and drugs it can run costs up rapidly. Plus you gotta take that time off work.

jfc average people are poor as poo poo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i've made a handy diagram to help people understand the demographics at burning man

broke people already don't have consistent income and are used to racking up debt and/or living on pennies, the effort involved equates to them amking sure they can save $900 over the next 10 months and/or max out a credit card and spend the year paying it off

the average salary folks have 9-5 full time jobs and have to request time off and interrupt their finances and families and work obligations n poo poo, way more moving parts concreted in a lifetime of average-career building

ceos dont give a gently caress and raelly that should jump to a flat line at the end there

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

jfc average people are poor as poo poo

quote:

According to a Federal Reserve report, nearly half of Americans couldn't cover a $400 emergency expense without borrowing the money or selling something. More than half of households have less than one month's worth of income in a readily available savings account, far from the six-month emergency fund many experts recommend.

Even more alarming is that many people have no savings at all. In fact, almost 30% report having a zero balance, and 62% have less than $1,000 in savings, according to a survey by GOBankingRates.com. An additional 21% report having no savings account whatsoever.

62% of Americans don't have $1000 saved.

no war but class war

oh and also

quote:

Millennials, on the other hand, meaning adults who are 35 and under, have a personal savings rate of negative 2%. Between high student loan debt and stagnating wages, saving anything at all proves to be impossible for many of them.

lol

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 30, 2016

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

no war but class war

reclaim the means of production, tighten down on globalization and let the serfs we employ at least be US citizens who can do things like: protest, form unions

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
So a "tech bro", is that like some kind of nerd-jock hybrid?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

je1 healthcare posted:

it's like the dudes in charge of the offices and whatever they might have some tech knowledge but by and large they are 'managers' and profit off the hard work of the kids they hire right out of school and also the pack of lies they can sell to venture capitalists

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

je1 healthcare posted:

milque toast suburb kids from well off families who are likely anarcho capitalists but think they are good people changing the world one line of ruby at a time

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
So it doesn't require any affinity for sports or keggers? Just self-confidence? Oh good I'm pretty safe then

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

gary oldmans diary posted:

if its an orgy we just have to find a girl who some guy has traded up from and is currently not in use
we dont have to be :jackbud::jackbud:

So a Dutch rudder instead. It's totally Not Gay

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope drad_bert is there creating a giant krusty image on teh playa and then burns it down at the end

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Chinatown posted:

i hope drad_bert is there creating a giant krusty image on teh playa and then burns it down at the end

But then that means drad will be giving up on krusty and moving on :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Why do they call rich geeks tech bros? Being a nerd automatically disqualifies you from being a bro. It's an oxymoron.

Nerds eating their own in a bizarre attempt to imitate the social hierarchy that spurned them in high school

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

je1 healthcare posted:

pretty much. i know a dude who works at palantir and have met a bunch of his coworkers and they are all basically in a yin/yang nerd/bro state that is annoying as gently caress. I used to think it was weird too but then I met all of these dudes and now it makes sense why everyone in the bay area is annoyed as gently caress that these dudes are moving in. It's 2016 - you don't have to be a weirdo geek to be good at computers anymore. This is just anecdotal of course but these guys I met are tech bros to a t and my guess is it's not uncommon.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Buca di Bepis posted:

Nerds eating their own in a bizarre attempt to imitate the social hierarchy that spurned them in high school

That's what my dowsing rod (penis) was leaning towards.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

monogamy orgy = group sex, sounds dumb.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im really still kind of upset about learning that's a thing people actually do

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a cyberpunk goose posted:

milque toast suburb kids from well off families who are likely anarcho capitalists but think they are good people changing the world one line of ruby at a time

Buca di Bepis posted:

these sum up most of it

they ruin everything

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why can't they just take a bunch of ecstasy and have a good time like normal people

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

just in case "the sort of person who thinks a monogamy orgy is a fun idea" wasn't painting the picture for you

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Yea right, like I'm going to be giving out my sex moves for free to a bunch of fuckmen, if they saw me doing the dirty swirl they would crawl on all fours to me and display their rear end submissively

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

That's a lot of loving camper trailers & RV's, I always imagined that kind of being against the spirit of burning man

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

radical_self_reliance.jpeg

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

i've made a handy diagram to help people understand the demographics at burning man

broke people already don't have consistent income and are used to racking up debt and/or living on pennies, the effort involved equates to them amking sure they can save $900 over the next 10 months and/or max out a credit card and spend the year paying it off

the average salary folks have 9-5 full time jobs and have to request time off and interrupt their finances and families and work obligations n poo poo, way more moving parts concreted in a lifetime of average-career building

ceos dont give a gently caress and raelly that should jump to a flat line at the end there

cool chart from 1962

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

That's cheap for a weeks vacation :shrug: most people spend 2k easy

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

You won't believe who went!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

no war but class war

oh and also

lol

Bad major decisions suck.

Moridin920 posted:

why can't they just take a bunch of ecstasy and have a good time like normal people

You've been there?

Moridin920 posted:

im really still kind of upset about learning that's a thing people actually do

I guess not.

Prob true

Should I tell you how to save and spend?

• Locked thread