Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
yeah no eastern front which bums me out as it was the only thing i was holding out for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’ve been playing BF1 the last few days and it’s still really goddamn fun. I went like 26-10 on Argonne and yeah, game good

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I still think Bad Company WW2 or whatever they were going for with the reveal trailer could have been cool but if this is all the effort they were ever going to put in no concept would have worked.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Well I hope they discard just about everything they brought to the series with one and v when they make six but with so many old hands having left dice I doubt it

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Julius CSAR posted:

I’ve been playing BF1 the last few days and it’s still really goddamn fun. I went like 26-10 on Argonne and yeah, game good

Yeah, I went back and played a pair of operations and was surprised how quickly a lot of it came back to me. I still love the Mondragon and some of the stuff like instant revives and crates automatically refilling health and ammo. But, at the same time, I also realized how much I missed some of the squad leader stuff like smoke and arty, and a few weapons like the bolt action infantry rifles I’d lost my touch with and I’d have to work on those again...

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, I went back and played a pair of operations and was surprised how quickly a lot of it came back to me. I still love the Mondragon and some of the stuff like instant revives and crates automatically refilling health and ammo. But, at the same time, I also realized how much I missed some of the squad leader stuff like smoke and arty, and a few weapons like the bolt action infantry rifles I’d lost my touch with and I’d have to work on those again...

Bolt actions feel weird because BF1 has realistic bullet velocity where I think BFV reduced it significantly.

I also kind of like behemoths, they were silly and usually don't actually help but drat if the zeppelin going down didnt make for some amazing imagery.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Live At Five! posted:

Bolt actions feel weird because BF1 has realistic bullet velocity where I think BFV reduced it significantly.

Yeah, that definitely was getting me having just switched back.

For the majority of BF1, I used to use the G95 as my aggressive recon rifle, occasionally going to the SMLE (And pre-nerfing, the Martini-Henry), and I’d do very well with them. When I got going today, I’d had the 1917 Enfield equipped, and it handles a bit different. At one point, even with the zero set at its lowest (75 m?), I basically overshot a dude with the entire magazine. After that, I started correcting my aim point and was taking guys down okay, and I’d imagine after more than an hour or two I’d get all the ranges back in my mind.

I did also try the Martini-Henry again and drat, it still has a cool noise and everything, but just makes me miss when it was a one shot machine early on...

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yeah whoever was on the gameplay side of the last few games really needs a move out of decision making. They basically killed everything fun about the series.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, that definitely was getting me having just switched back.

For the majority of BF1, I used to use the G95 as my aggressive recon rifle, occasionally going to the SMLE (And pre-nerfing, the Martini-Henry), and I’d do very well with them. When I got going today, I’d had the 1917 Enfield equipped, and it handles a bit different. At one point, even with the zero set at its lowest (75 m?), I basically overshot a dude with the entire magazine. After that, I started correcting my aim point and was taking guys down okay, and I’d imagine after more than an hour or two I’d get all the ranges back in my mind.

I did also try the Martini-Henry again and drat, it still has a cool noise and everything, but just makes me miss when it was a one shot machine early on...

May I suggest the Lebel infantry for your PTFO needs? It has a pretty good RoF and good bullet velocity. The sweet spot is perfect for close to mid range sniping. The reload is not great but its manageable if you reload when it's safe and double tap y or triangle when the animation for loading the last bullet starts in order to skip it.

I have 45 service stars with it plus another 11 with the frommer, which is always my pistol. Hit people once and mag dump the frommer is a fun time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Live At Five! posted:

I have 45 service stars with it plus another 11 with the frommer, which is always my pistol. Hit people once and mag dump the frommer is a fun time.

Frommer ftw, I’m feeling tempted to break out the 1895 cavalry and go full westworld on some fools

e: from 2016, back when DICE still heard my prayers

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If I could use the frommer stop auto on every class I would

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 24, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Live At Five! posted:

May I suggest the Lebel infantry for your PTFO needs? It has a pretty good RoF and good bullet velocity. The sweet spot is perfect for close to mid range sniping. The reload is not great but its manageable if you reload when it's safe and double tap y or triangle when the animation for loading the last bullet starts in order to skip it.

The Lebel never really clicked for me back in the day, but it may be something I’d try again. I had double digit stars with both the M.95 and SMLE, it’s just getting the adjustment going back to the game with more serious bullet drop and using iron sights, neither of which I did in BFV (Where I don’t think I’ve used bolt actions at all in the longest time).

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah whoever was on the gameplay side of the last few games really needs a move out of decision making. They basically killed everything fun about the series.

Agreedo

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah V never really clicked with me. It never felt like WW2 the way 1 felt like WW1. I think I only made it to level 20? in V but hit 150 so long ago in 1 that I'm pretty sure I'd be over 200 if they still counted.

I still play 1 regularly on PS4 and there's full servers regularly, at least conquest/original maps and usually operations. Anything beyond that is sketchy though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I really think it comes down to the maps. When I think about BF1 maps I go “man Amiens was such a great urban map, basically every single French dlc map was top tier, both the Italian Operations maps ruled, Achi Baba is maybe my favorite infantry only map in the series, etc.” and with BFV it’s “Arras was ok and select parts of Devastation were cool”

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BFV was terrible in mostly every aspect. I put it in the Hardline tier of Battlefield games I would never consider playing again.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

For me it's that the last two games were love letters to people that died over 75 years ago.

Not super fun "whats the most creative way I can kill this wook?" sandboxes like Bf2, BC, BC2, Bf3, Bf4.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Beastie posted:

For me it's that the last two games were love letters to people that died over 75 years ago.

Not super fun "whats the most creative way I can kill this wook?" sandboxes like Bf2, BC, BC2, Bf3, Bf4.

Lmao what? Ahh yes the game with cavalry slicing up wookies while a zeppelin crashed into the ground is a somber portrayal of WW1. BF1's multiplayer is just as silly as previous battlefield games even if the single player tried to be more serious

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Live At Five! posted:

Lmao what? Ahh yes the game with cavalry slicing up wookies while a zeppelin crashed into the ground is a somber portrayal of WW1. BF1's multiplayer is just as silly as previous battlefield games even if the single player tried to be more serious

Eh, while I agree that horse murder was always funny, I get what Beastie is saying.

When I think of the good times playing bf games, it's always doing dumb poo poo with goons, such as C4 jumping bikes across the map in capture the flag modes, or deforesting an entire map to relentlessly spawn camp. BF1/V, while they had moments, never really captured the same feelings.

Here's hoping that the next bf is a bad company reboot that mocks the current gritty reboot of MW like the previous ones did. I know it won't be, but it's nice to imagine.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

RCarr posted:

BFV was terrible in mostly every aspect. I put it in the Hardline tier of Battlefield games I would never consider playing again.

Hardline was good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything needed for great Battlefield game feels like it's there in BF1 and 5, but they are both balanced in this way that feels really oppressive and unfun. Usually with Battlefield I'll do awful for a while but after a day or two I'll fall into a groove where I'm having a lot of fun and then I'll ultimately get pretty good at the niches that I enjoy the most and I'm having an absolute blast. With the last two I felt like I was perpetually in that purgatory of the first 8 hours of a battlefield game where it's just frustrating and annoying. I played both of them for like 30 hours and just deleted them.

I guess I put quite a few hours into firestorm :rip: Was actually a pretty great BR but it was so loving doomed for so many reasons. Warzone actually stole a bunch of poo poo from it. They had some alright ideas and it was drat pretty and there's still nothing else in the genre where you can level buildings like that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 26, 2020

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
BF1 was a great game, but my God I hated the spotting system. I felt like you could never really hide in any way because everyone is always spamming the spot button and no matter you where you go there's a big red triangle hovering over you.

I think spotting was the only thing BFV got right.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hardline was good

Hardline actually was pretty badass and really fun, it was easily identifiable as a "transition" game but it still ruled. I had some of the most "battlefield" moments playing hardline

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

BF1 was a great game, but my God I hated the spotting system. I felt like you could never really hide in any way because everyone is always spamming the spot button and no matter you where you go there's a big red triangle hovering over you.

I think spotting was the only thing BFV got right.

Didn’t they take spotting out for BFV? I only played a little bit of it before I decided it was a trash game, but I remember the lack of spotting being really annoying.

Or maybe that’s what you’re saying, that spotting being taken out was good.

BF4 and BF1 were both nearly perfect games in my opinion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

Didn’t they take spotting out for BFV? I only played a little bit of it before I decided it was a trash game, but I remember the lack of spotting being really annoying.

Or maybe that’s what you’re saying, that spotting being taken out was good.

BF4 and BF1 were both nearly perfect games in my opinion.

They changed spotting so that the only ways to do so was as a Recon using the spotting scope, a plane or tank using a spotting camera, or as a Support by fully suppressing someone.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They changed spotting so that the only ways to do so was as a Recon using the spotting scope, a plane or tank using a spotting camera, or as a Support by fully suppressing someone.

Yeah exactly it wasn't entirely removed, but it was more specialized and harder to use. Because in BF1 it seemed like everyone had a laser range finder which totally killed it for me. BFV got it right imo. You had to actually focus and try to spot enemies with your eyes instead of waiting for floating red triangles to appear. It also meant I could walk 5 feet without everyone on the enemy team knowing instantly where I was.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean I had countless games with 20-30+ killstreaks in BF1, so it’s not like the spotting mechanism made it hard to do well. I feel like the majority of people didn’t even realize how or didn’t care enough to spot people.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Playing on Xbox people getting spotted by teammates always seemed pretty rare

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Playing on PC seemed to be a sea of red triangles. I mean you get points for anyone killed that you spotted so it was a nice way to rack up points.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I was always on Xbox and unless I played with goons or my friends no one ever spotted anyone.

I mean for the most part no one attempted to cap poo poo or do anything other than try to get sweet sniper kills and improve their K/D.

I remember playing a medic and not shooting a bullet and finishing as the MVP just to see if I could.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
As always, I think it depends on the mode. In BF1, after the first month or two it came out I only played Operations, Frontlines, or Rush, which are far less wide open than Conquest and tended to see a ton of spotting, particularly by defending teams. I played a couple of Operations last night and still saw a lot of it, and there are definitely some maps/sectors that lend themselves too it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How's the PC multiplayer community numbers these days in BF1?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah exactly it wasn't entirely removed, but it was more specialized and harder to use. Because in BF1 it seemed like everyone had a laser range finder which totally killed it for me. BFV got it right imo. You had to actually focus and try to spot enemies with your eyes instead of waiting for floating red triangles to appear. It also meant I could walk 5 feet without everyone on the enemy team knowing instantly where I was.

Maybe it’s just me but I swear spotting could completely change the match in bfv, and I felt like the only player who tried. Smaller maps like aerodrome especially. Just sweep the recon scope across the map every minute or so is it all it takes. The frontline guys suddenly know where most of the enemies are, and the Wookiees have a dorito to aim at. Just a couple of recons spotting everybody was enough to almost reverse a steamroll losing streak. It’s so basic.

Either hardline or bf4 had a commander mode on tablets. I wish they kept it for BFV, the ammo and tank limitations would benefit from a central commander type of player. It’s a more plodding war machine type of game that doesn’t encourage creativity or speed.

In BF4 I remember a goon squad locking down an objective for an entire match, to the point that 3 squads, a little bird and tank rushed us at once in a frantically fun match. At no point in BFV did I think, I am having fun.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I have started to play this game, due to the pandemic, and was curious if there is an active goon platoon. Battlegoons, and Goon Platoon seem to bring up noting.

Any advice?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Most fun I had in bf v was either when the mosquito with the 5000 lb bomb was first released and I could rack up kills on the limited time rush-like mode on Hamada. Or on release when light tanks could do autocannon + ap rounds. Literally driving circles around tiger tanks with the staghound, shooting them the whole time. Then they rebalanced tanks and the lights weren’t fun anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It sucks there won't be an eastern front in BFV. It also sucks there won't be any D Day maps.