Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RCarr posted:

It feels nothing like BF1 :psyduck:

Sounds like I'll have a reason to restart my XBL subscription!

Maybe not though, BF1 being such a boring game gave me so much free time back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tei posted:

I just don't believe you.

You are not the first that I read that say that.

But I attribute it to peasantry. Infantry always have funny ideas about what make a BF game good.

Infantry combat is way better than the shitfest BF1 was.

Vehicles are somewhat better, but they're still a gigantic step back from pre BF1 titles.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someone compare this to BF1 for me please and thanks? I didn’t like BF3/BF4 much at all outside of the incredible sound design. BF1 though was super fun and nowhere near as frustrating as the previous few games.

Did they somehow make the game sound even better?

BF1 was complete boring as hell garbage that wishes it was anywhere near as much fun as 3/4. BFV is a modest improvement over BF1. Infantry combat is better. Armor is still terribly un-fun to play and gimped to all hell.

Take from that what you will.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Battlefield V: Maps no one gives a poo poo about but we added them because they were in Scandinavian countries.

Give me Wake, Normandy, El Alamein. And please fire whatever English major you have in charge of your studio DICE, the horrible story and voice overs add nothing to the experience.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RCarr posted:

No spotting is a bummer. That was one of the best parts of the battlefield games. People will say they are glad it’s gone which they are entitled to, but it was just one of the things which could distinguish a good player from an average one. You could not fire your gun once in past battlefields and still make an impact just by spotting people for your squad/team. The new revive mechanic is annoying. Just let me look at the mini-map while I wait to respawn, and if I happen to get revived, great. TTK is too short. Vehicles are worthless (note: I suck at flying so I can’t speak for planes), but I actively avoid vehicles in this game when I used to enjoy going on 50+ kill streaks with the Arty truck in BF1. The most obvious complaint is not being able to see people. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been looking right at someone and couldn’t distinguish them from the background until they started shooting at me. 4 man squads instead of 5 just means I only get to play with 3 of my friends instead of 4. I’m one of those people who would get a service star with a weapon in BF1, and immediately move on to the next weapon. I think I had over 100 unique service stars in BF1, and still hadn’t run out of weapons to use. There’s much less of a choice in weapons in this game. That’s just off the top of my head.

All of this is correct except for BF1 being anything approaching a fun game.

Also DICE needs to quit with this stupid "choose the vehicle you want from the spawn screen". You built the drat maps, you probably have some idea of what vehicles make for fun gameplay on a given map. I get that they're trying to give people a chance to shape their own battles, but given how their map design quality is consistently getting worse in each BF game, maybe they shouldn't throw away proven ideas like only allowing specific numbers of X vehicles per map.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

lambskin posted:

I really don't get the bf1 hate? I get that it felt quite different from bf4 but most of the hate ends up being people calling it casualfield 1 etc. The entire series is a casual arcade style shooter, so I don't really get the obsession with tryharding?

Fair enough, I guess the skill ceiling was lowered in BF1 below what I arbitrarily consider fun.

I'm realistic, just as I recognize Metro and Locker were miserable 64 player maps, they were also the most popular (for some reason I can't ever fathom) so DICE is right to build toward that audience. It's just disappointing to see Battlefield continue its slide into "games I no longer want to play". I wish it had some competitor in the playspace, but there are no vehicle based FPS games of even remotely similar caliber out there.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 1, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Stay in the tank and repair at a supply point to fix structural damage. Blowtorch doesn’t get it I think. The whole repair while inside sucks imo. Externally repairing was more conducive to teamwork and had risk associated.

Preach. No more battlefield moments of stealing some repairing guy's tank, or getting your tank stolen and having to frantically work to destroy it. The noobification continues.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Fastest, put away the Turner SMLE, M1A1 Carbine uber alles.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
BFV is better than BF1. That's about all I can say about it that's positive at this point.

I think if they give armor a little more love RE: splash damage, and maybe a little more speed, it will be in a good spot. Still not as fun as pre-BF1 vehicles, but at least better playable. The panzerfaust spam is a lot less pronounced now, so that's helpful.

Their stupid decision to continue to let people choose whatever vehicle they want (instead of what makes for a better map experience) means more people choose vehicles instead of going as infantry if their favorite is taken. Add to that, there are no longer cappable points that deliver extra armor. All the points are the same, there's no need to frantically try to recover a point when you suddenly get backcapped and armor spawns behind your lines.

And the stupid "repair inside your tank" mechanic needs to die. It sucks all of the fun out of fighting vehicles. No one gets out of their tank anymore. There are no more frantic battles to destroy a captured tank, no running battles to escape with armor you captured yourself. It just robs the game of a level of fun that BF1943 had no trouble including.

I used to bitch at pubbies for not dying in their tanks and letting them get captured, but looking back man did I have a lot of fun trying to recover that stolen armor.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

lambskin posted:

If tankers were forced to get out of their tanks to repair they'd just get killed while stuck in the exiting animation. Tanks are already quite fragile and hard to maneuver as is.

I agree, that stupid animation needs to go too. Cool poo poo like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOIgxQ--Tc

Just isn't possible when you have to endure a 1-2 second animation every time you want to get in and out of a vehicle.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I can't see people. It was bad in BF1, it's somehow worse in this game.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GoGoGadget posted:

Do people not realize they can use the ability to hide to their advantage as well? Or do people genuinely feel that their enemies can see but they can't, so they're the only ones at a constant disadvantage? Sounds typical for FPS players.

yeah camping is a lot of fun

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 16, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I can't really tell the difference.

M1907 SF is beast mode btw. Pretty much the only modern feeling AR. It has some kick at a distance, but for CQB it's an awesome bullet hose.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
But I've been enjoying my soldier not being able to jump through a window unless it has glass in it to start the animation. Not early access at all!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Noctone posted:

Also dunno if anyone cares to see them or not but I still play BF4 occasionally and these are a few of the sicker RPG shots I’ve hit this week:

https://streamable.com/uftnc
https://streamable.com/so0yx
https://streamable.com/ajpx6

BF4, the last good battlefield.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Good battlefielding, today was more fun than I ever had in BF1, so some hope remains for BFV for me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I finally got it recorded just to confirm it wasn't happening when I was blinking.

There's a glitch where a tank won't show as available in the spawn menu even if you're sitting there staring at it, waiting for it to appear. It happened 4x in a row last night that I'd be waiting for a tank, only for it to never show as a spawn option and instead a brand new tank rolls out of the spawn point to quickly die from pubbiedriveritis.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It begins. I only wish I didn't have to play so cautiously to post numbers. Vehicles are more fun than BF1 but still boring as poo poo to play.

Not sure which game this is from since I only just saw it, but I probably died 5 times total in the tank all night, and all I did was tank so I understand the rage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Noctone posted:

e: But speaking of BF4 imma toot my own horn again because this shot I hit last night makes me extremely horny: https://streamable.com/8jbpm

Signs of a novice LAV driver: 12/24 ammo count for primary.

Fire one round and reload man. Enjoy the extra 11 rounds.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2019

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RCarr posted:

Ok fine, BF4 Conquest.

Truth

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Songbearer posted:

BF1942 loving around with vehicles with a few of your friends while listening to The Prodigy and wingwalking on bombers/stachelcharging jeeps across the map and later doing the same with Desert Combat and that awesome post apocalypse mod with the zepplins and monster trucks was the best game mode

Ok maybe Desert Combat is the answer. I miss parking the blackhawk on the hill above C at lost village and using it as a stationary gun.

Also, no helicopters have been as hard to fly in BF as Desert Combat helicopters.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I just want to play as a pink haired black nazi woman so I can trigger some chuds.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I really loving hate that you can't interrupt animations. They're so poorly thought out. I shouldn't be locked into a revive, or a reload.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
1907 SF continues to melt faces.

It is possible to completely disable melee, so you don't end up meleeing when you're in a frantic gunfight.

Turning off music and setting audio option to 3d headphones makes it impossible for someone to sneak up on you.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

My usual RL Bone crew hasn't been playing this as much as they did the previous Battlefields. When is the goon crew usually on?

Weekends mostly. Battlefield 1 being the boring suckfest it was killed my BF habit so I don't play during the week anymore. BF5 has revived some desire, but it's still not BF4 levels of quality.

They sorta buffed the M1907 so that's exciting. Don't know why they increased recoil at range, it was already plenty outshot by the Gewehr and every other single shot variant.

PF nerf is good, would have preferred splash damage/speed buff for the tanks over the PF nerf. Anything that's not a light tank is still pretty useless.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Im this Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Were you just blind firing to try to keep them in place for your rocket?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
They need to make panzerstorm 1000 tickets a side at least. 500 is just too short.

Also none of you will ever ascend to ultra tanker status if you don't play "destroy all the cover" with me. Destruction level is once again decent, we should be clearcutting maps.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
AA tank exists to get destroyed by light tanks.

Seriously, there's nothing useful it does that the light tank with 20mm doesn't do better, and with better speed and a smaller profile.

I don't give a poo poo about planes, they're pretty much neutered in this game anyway.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Crawling the BFV reddit, per DICE it seems some massive tank changes are coming soon.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

vivisectvnv posted:

in what sense?

No clue, except that he was responding to a post about all the ways tanks are way too weak (most of which I agree with).

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/akr29z/why_are_tanks_so_shit_in_bfv/efa8v4t/

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Breakthrough is for people who enjoy 64 player metro.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Last night was the first night I encountered a good attack pilot. He was running the heavy guns on the Stuka and got me twice in the swaghound in a single pass and multiple other times he left be near death. Not to detract from him but we had zero pubbies flying so he had the skies to himself.

I guess I didn't see it, but spawn AA camper sent me a bunch of messages begging me to stop. Good to have validation that it works.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Swaghounds keepin it 💯 kills

Like the good old days of Zavod 311.

Except I could actually help attack flags in BF4 because armor was useful.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

red19fire posted:

I will buy you a PS4. Please teach me your ways.

Stage flags by destroying all cover/trees, stick to the high ground, run like a bitch as soon as you get hit by a panzerfaust/tank, stay mostly in 3rd person and watch your map closely to make sure you're not too far beyond your lines.

Really if you and a buddy can get swag wagons just stick together and you'll murder.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 4, 2019

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Nah. It's not anywhere as good as BF3 or BF4 ended up being, but it's already miles ahead of the snoozefest that was BF1. I'm thinking the next battlefield they'll almost be back on track from the BF1 suckfest derail.

Hopefully they stop listening to whoever is in charge of vehicles and spawn screens. Also whoever the gently caress keeps trying to go for story. I don't give a gently caress about battles no one cares about in WW2. Just give me the hits.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 8, 2019

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
XBros need a skylord. Getting tired of this poo poo. Come back scrub guy and nicko

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
New patch is tweaking visibility!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Such a stupid loving nerf. The light tank is already balanced because it has poo poo armor. Just drop the effective range of 20mm, problem solved. But nooo, whiney redditors were tired of having to pay attention to the map to make sure that light tanks with any semblance of skiill didn't get behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Played two rounds of combined arms with beastie. It’s ok. At the end of each mission you have to hold out against a wave of enemies, that gets kind of fun and frantic

apparently it counts toward your KDR so lol