Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying aircraft in this game. Takes a lot more too shoot one down, planes take a higher degree of skill to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Game is pretty great (much like the war).

My only gripe is there isn't much in the way of unlockables. It's basically just guns and equipment. Nothing cosmetic or anyway to differentiate your soldier. I guess this makes sense since there are so many different factions it would be kinda hard to have unique outfits for each. I was hoping for something more along the lines of battlefront in that regard.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Using the field guns to blow up guys on horses is endlessly fun. Really the field guns in general are great I just wish it wasn't an instant death sentence after you fire a round.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Played with 3 other friend tonight. Me in an Assault Plane well they ran around capping points in conquest. They would spot enemies and I would precision bomb them well they took the point. That was a ton of fun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Horse is OP, I spent good chunk of time on horse during a Conquest round and racked up 16 kills with the sword. Just endlessly sprint chopping up snipers and capping points.

Also you don't need to ever get off the horse, just throw down an ammo/health pouch and stand still for a few seconds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Much like the Great War itself, this game leaves many unanswered questions.

Why can I not buy weapons and gadgets outside of a game?

Seriously what the gently caress? I shouldn't be surprised at how incredibly dumb an EA/DICE game can be but this is just one of the most baffling things. I've bought almost no upgrades because when I'm in a match I'm playing I forget to go to the customize screen. It just promotes people actively not playing in a battle as they are trying to compare weapons to buy.

I unlocked some new skins for a few guns from loot boxes but hell if I'll ever remember to equip them mid match.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
AA isn't too bad it just requires you don't fly in a straight line which most pub pilots tend to do. The initial shock of AA is the worst but you just have to evasive manuveur and get as far away as possible as quick as possible.

I always fly the assault plane because it's the best. Once safely away I get as high as possible and then fly over the AA for a dive bomb attack with the small timed bombs.

Speaking of, the assault plane is dope as hell. I've been racking up kills precision bombing infantry and it's maneuverable and powerful enough to take on any of the other planes as well. I can usually last an entire match in 1 assault plane, it's the best way to take out enemy wookies who think they are safe on top of some mountain in their base.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Special classes should work like modern Battlefront were you can select the class you want. It's so rare to stumble upon a special class that is appropriate for the situation as it is right now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Idiot pubbies are what makes this game fun. If you take a Battlefield game seriously and actually care about winning or K/D than you are the weirdo. It's about loving around with friends doing weird poo poo with vehicles.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well I made it to the top %5 in assault plane stats on PS4. Guys, the assault plane is really really good, I don't know why anyone uses anything else. I can dominate the air and precision bomb dudes on the ground its the best of both worlds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

I tried the fighter for the first time yesterday. I usually rock assault plane. Once you learn how to lead it (it's loving slow) you can wreck.

It also owns as a dive bomber. I've been trying to get over a bomber and drop grenades on them but have yet to pull it off.

Yeah it's an incredibly effective dive bomber, I usually gain high altitude and slow down to a crawl as I dive on a contested point and try to spot infantry on the ground. Echoing that it really really helps if people spot targets on the ground, it's especially effective in countering snipers.

It's also very capable in the air, I've had multiple matches with no deaths and 15+ air kills. It's main gun is strong enough to take down bombers even with a rear gunner. Fighters are a little trickier because they can turn quickly but you can still deal with them. If I face a particularly good fighter pilot who is able to get on my tail the rear gun works really well to pull up into a steep climb switch positions and it makes short work of them before switching back to pilot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even tried any other variant of the assault plane because I've been having so much success dive bombing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Thing I like from the notes.

You can customize your soldier from within the UI by selecting either the icon on Home or on Soldier.

The Quit button is now available at any given time when in the End of Round

GoTY

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The campaign is fine, it's not the most impressive thing in the world but it's a nice break from online clusterfuck. The controls aren't that radically different just a few mechanical tweaks that needed to be made for it to be any fun in a single player linear mission context.

If you are that befuddled by the controls then take a look at a control mapping it's not that difficult to figure out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I only casually play battlefield games at this point but I'm pretty sure cool-downs on spot have been a thing for awhile. Idk it just doesn't seem that complicated to me, I played the single player and multiplayer at the same time and had almost no issues.

I mean I guess it's sort of annoying that spotting works differently but why is it such a big deal? They altered some of the mechanics for single player to make it more fun in the context of linear 1 v 1 million AI missions. Would you rather they just not have a campaign so that you don't get confused? If they used the same mechanics in single player it wouldn't work as well.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I would like the campaign to function as a tutorial for the multiplayer.

Like I said, I haven't played a BF game for 10 years.

But why does it have to be a tutorial? The single player should be a fun thing to play that is different than multiplayer. Tons of games do this and I have never seen people complain about it. Just because BF1 is primarily a multiplayer game? What would be the point in single player if it plays exactly the same as multiplayer anyways?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They have and it does make some sense to have them. Otherwise everyone would just be running around spamming RB in the hopes of tagging a distant enemy that they can't actually see themselves.

BF4 was a little more generous in how closely you had to aim to get the spot though. I feel like they should go back to that level considering that in BF1, enemies that are shooting don't show up on the minimap anymore.

Yeah this is how I remember it before. You could just hold down spot and pick up enemies you couldn't actually see and there was no penalty for it (cooldown).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:dice: adds character customization to the main menu and it's broke with all class ranks set to 0, lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Really unhappy with what's been done to mortars.

Yeah it's kind of disappointing how they have a 8 inch splash range now. It's still fun, but idk why they would nerf it to begin with.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The assault plane is the greatest anti-sniping tool in this game. I killed 3 snipers on Empires Edge in one dive. My friend on the ground kept spotting them on the north hill and I would dive bomb them repeatedly. They finally gave up trying to camp there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pilot gets a flare gun too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a particular hatred for Amiens.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

Why, it's the best map?

It's the Operation Locker of BF1. Granted it's not completely terrible, over all the maps are great in this game. But most of the time it devolves into a meat grinder over some central point and whoever grabs the tank raking in multikills with every shell fired.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sunday at work posted:

The campaign is boring standard FPS stuff. Why doesn't this game have a horde mode?

It does, it's called multiplayer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popeadactyl posted:

yeah but its pointless because you dont have control over anything but the gametype and map rotation really.

You mean I can't put up a sick rear end joining banner of my gaming group name adorned with pot leafs and bikini babes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The correct way to deal with snipers as with most things in this game is the assault plane.