Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

RCarr posted:

As opposed to: See a guy with a syringe? He's a medic, don't kill him?

Well I’m pretty sure ww1 was pre-Geneva convention so it’s perfectly OK to murk medical personnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BF4 had some excellent maps and some real stinkers. The key is that tanks and infantry have to work together. BF4 has the synergy mostly figured out, then threw it all away in BF1.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

lambskin posted:

To all those wanting to join [BUTT] clan, it is full for now. We might need some trimming to let others in.

You can go ahead and cut me, I'm not going to play V until it's severely discounted.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

before I decide to reenlist in BUTT platoon, what are our options for messing with worthless snipers and pubbies in general?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Alright friends, I bought this game anyway even though I swore I'd wait. Was there ever a doubt? red19fire on PS4, it's downloading now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

BF1 was complete boring as hell garbage that wishes it was anywhere near as much fun as 3/4. BFV is a modest improvement over BF1. Infantry combat is better. Armor is still terribly un-fun to play and gimped to all hell.

Take from that what you will.

It seems like everything that should be reasonably powerful is weak as hell. I've broadsided tanks with the rocket and done like 20 damage. 3 dynamite packs AND a rocket got me 56 damage on a tank. But somehow reddit thinks the rocket is OP?

I'm glad :dice: spent so much time developing this stupid hitching system, so that pubbies can leave all the extra AA and artillery in the spawn.

Building fortifications is fun, but it's a waste since most people don't stick around to defend. I'm basically building cover for when the other team comes to take the point.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 21, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know that it's totally against Battlefield spirit, but this is one game I wish there was a kill cam for so that I can understand how I am getting noticed and shot rather than it going "yeah you were hit from" *waves hand vaguely in one direction*. From my perspective I am seeing people with laser accurate guns taking me down from two km away, which makes me feel like I'm missing something about aiming.

Also still looking for playing bud, xbone: dreamships

I hate the killcam too. It shows a mans name for like a second then snaps to the nearest medic so I have no idea where I died from.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The fortifications are great in the attack/defend modes like Breakthrough and they’re useless in ring around the rosie like Conquest and Domination. Hence why Conquest is the worst it’s ever been

I like them in principle, but they need to be toughened up. It’s a waste of time to build up an objective only to get killed immediately when your shitheel pubby team abandons the position and the other team can just waltz in effortlessly. The kill cam blips a red outline and the name for like a second, then the bleed out sequence begins.

My kd is a steady .4 here, while in bf1 and BF4 it was usually at least 1.5. One shotted from across the map all the time, can’t see anyone. Is there some insane hdr thing going on? The outdoor maps are insanely bright, so I can’t see the text on the screen, but if I turn it down, I can’t see anything indoors.

I guess I need to learn the maps or something, it’s frustratingly rough, and not the fun way BF4 was broken for the first few months.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I’ve used the German flak cannon to good effect. You have to shoot bursts, and lead so that the flak explodes on the plane body. I’ve done 80 damage on bombers, and just shredded everything else to the point of making skylords ragequit.

On the bridge level enemies can shoot tank rounds directly into the German spawn. Fantastic design.

Also, am I missing something with repairs? I drove the Churchill alligator tank, took some damage that resulted in a red outline on the hull. I did the self repair, limped to a supply point to repair, then got out to try the repair torch on the burning gas tank. I had 100% vehicle health and still the red outline and slowed movement.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Red outline means damaged parts, like turret or treads or whatnot.

I believe you have to manually repair that. Not instant repair, unless you've unlocked the repair spec for that vehicle which usually repairs damage statuses.
Since you were in the churchill, you might not have been a driver/engineer, might could be you didnt have the blowtorch to repair broken statuses.

I was playing as supply, but when you spawn in a tank you get a tank class mans who has a Sten, mine, grenade cluster and repair torch.

I'm loving the trend of assault mans running behind enemy tanks by like 10 feet, spamming rockets.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Are there even any Battlefield Moments in this one? No huge set pieces? Seeing the skyscraper on shanghai go down, or having to frantically jump off the top floor when he alarms went off was always cool. Now I guess sometimes the bell rings if you shoot it in devastation.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I shot it with a panzerfaust and got it partially destroyed. Rebuilt with 4 tickets left :ocelot:

V: Put a bonus round in 'em :clint:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 12, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Am I insane or did there used to be a way to set the ps4 to download stuff in rest mode, then turn off when it was done installing? I set it last night to download the new update and it's still in rest mode 24+ hours later.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeah now it’s not so bad. I’m still dying a lot but having more good matches than bad.

Also BUTT clan is full so if there’s anyone who still wants to be deleted let me know.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I’m going to be away from home for a week until the 27th, am I missing out on good gear through the unlock bonuses? I couldn’t get the face mask to save my life, despite dropping a v2 on a house full of mans.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Think you might miss out on the Selbstlader

gently caress that was my favorite from bf1

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Maybe when it’s ranked up it’s better, but the bf1 shotgun barely does any damage past living room distance.

Drilling is far better.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Remember friends, with time everything will be balanced.

The devs read the reddit page, and every time a 10,000 hour recon Redditor gets killed by X, they make nonstop posts about how the game is Bad, X is OP and should be nerfed. Then the devs nerf X, Y and Z, or anything that could feasibly kill a Redditor who has wedged themselves into the map boundary such that they can't be flanked or counter-sniped. Once they can go 2-0 completely unbothered in a 35 minute conquest map, only then will the game become Good.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 4, 2019

red19fire
May 26, 2010

There isn’t enough of the level changing destruction, like Shanghai, for my taste. It sucks that Devastation is pre-destroyed, that would be a sweet nap to just turn into rubble over the course of a conquest match.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lmao bold prediction: squad conquest is going to be a mode people play this week and never again.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What specializations do you run?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What do you guys run as your AA tank load outs? I got the triple 20mm for the valentine, and doesn't seem to do much. Seems like AA tanks are mainly for harassing planes. I can never do more than like 35 damage per pass, and I'm either leading too much or not enough.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

Swaghounds keepin it 💯 kills

I will buy you a PS4. Please teach me your ways.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Its insane that the supply crates still fall through the floor basically everywhere. I couldn’t put a crate down on the twisted steel bridge at all in one match. Or only the lid will stick out in certain floor types in the aerodrome bunker.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Such a stupid loving nerf. The light tank is already balanced because it has poo poo armor. Just drop the effective range of 20mm, problem solved. But nooo, whiney redditors were tired of having to pay attention to the map to make sure that light tanks with any semblance of skiill didn't get behind them.

Someone should just make the perfect game for redditors so that the battlefield series can be fun again.

32 on 32, snipers only, not allowed to leave the spawn, no cover.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I enjoyed the big tank fights over big distances where you're trying to zero in while being blasted yourself, but they a) basically only happen with any regularity on Panzerstorm, and b) frequently end when some passing Assault player sees the fight and goes "oh that's cute, widdle tanks duking it out, want me to help you?" and unceremoniously blows up the enemy tank with a few shots from the PIAT. Bit of an anticlimax, that.

Is the PIAT or panzerfaust better for destroying tanks? Its from a few patches ago, but I read on reddit that the PIAT is more of a general purpose indirect mortar than specifically a tank killer.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

On the plus side, the German AA shreds planes with the 20mm cannon. On the other, I can only spawn in a tank once per round now. Way to go :dice:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

Fun bug I just had, was getting rezzed by a squadmate while a v2 was dropped in my head. Couldn't spawn back in or get rezzed, but could look around in the dying state

That happened to me a few weeks ago. Got killed, and the medic got killed right as I was being resurrected. I stayed in the bleed out state looking around for like 10 minutes until the team took the objective back and someone revived me.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

BF1 also had fun tanks. Give me a landship over the British tank roster any day

Nah the swag hound rules and the archer is pretty decent.

But yeah I basically only play to unlock things that look interesting. Taking a break because who gives a poo poo about new planes?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

speakina bf4 it's on sale for 5 bux so I bought it lol never played this one

You are brave as hell, I can't imagine starting from zero when basically everyone left playing has everything maxed out already.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Made it to 3rd place in firestorm on my 3rd try. It’s better than fort nite, but that’s a low bar.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Guys if we had more maps we wouldn’t have the epic experiences of squad conquest, combined arms, and the upcoming 5v5 competitive esports mode

They were trying to do 5v5 esports with BF1, did that ever get off the ground? I know I’ve seen BF4 esports of dom 5v5 or 3v3 or something. It sucked. Dudes just alternating ducking & jumping around corners, using the same classes and the same guns.

Also remember BF4 had more players on PS4 alone than Hardline did across all systems 6 months after HL released. There’s nothing :dice: loves more than releasing a dogshit game everyone abandons in a few months because it’s unplayable. Hardline was *okay* about a year after release.

I haven’t played in a month or more because gently caress new guns only being available for a single week.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Fleetwood posted:

Driving the personnel carrier with the driver perk and running cops over nonstop, music blaring. Chaos

I agree. On its face you would think blasting Death Grips from your muscle car while shooting RPGs at cop cars would be fun. But dice found a way to make it awful.

I say it all the time but it’s my favorite example of dice being dice. 6 months after hardline came out, there were more BF4 players on PS3 servers than all the BFH servers for consoles & PC combined. Just squandering a loyal fan base.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hell Yeah Operation Locker Never Die. I hope they have a Tarawa map, that would loving own.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

sunday at work posted:

It's the Boys anti material rifle. It was a tides of war unlock a few weeks ago. It has a 50 yard or so one shot to the upper body so it's the only sniper anyone is using right now.

in my dissertation that :dice: only pays attention to reddit, and bfX reddit is only comprised of worthless edgecamper recons, THIS IS MY FINAL THESIS, MAAANNNNN.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Seedge posted:

You missed "kill tanks with flashbangs" and "kill wookies with the XM25 Smoke launcher, which doesn't do damage", Tei.

https://youtu.be/cPsuZ0uRg-U

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Just give us the weapons :dice: idiots. I paid for this dumb game, I don't want to schedule time to grind out these stupid achievements for a dumb gun. Just let me have it for the hour every month I forget how trash this game is while I wonder if I should just buy Borderlands 3 for my fps fix.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 23, 2019

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Unlike the actual marines, my moron team couldn't get off the loving beachhead and just got shredded by raking machine gun fire. Please :dice: give me a John Basilone skin that disables the recon class for the entire match and I won't mothball this game until the next shitass update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah exactly it wasn't entirely removed, but it was more specialized and harder to use. Because in BF1 it seemed like everyone had a laser range finder which totally killed it for me. BFV got it right imo. You had to actually focus and try to spot enemies with your eyes instead of waiting for floating red triangles to appear. It also meant I could walk 5 feet without everyone on the enemy team knowing instantly where I was.

Maybe it’s just me but I swear spotting could completely change the match in bfv, and I felt like the only player who tried. Smaller maps like aerodrome especially. Just sweep the recon scope across the map every minute or so is it all it takes. The frontline guys suddenly know where most of the enemies are, and the Wookiees have a dorito to aim at. Just a couple of recons spotting everybody was enough to almost reverse a steamroll losing streak. It’s so basic.

Either hardline or bf4 had a commander mode on tablets. I wish they kept it for BFV, the ammo and tank limitations would benefit from a central commander type of player. It’s a more plodding war machine type of game that doesn’t encourage creativity or speed.

In BF4 I remember a goon squad locking down an objective for an entire match, to the point that 3 squads, a little bird and tank rushed us at once in a frantically fun match. At no point in BFV did I think, I am having fun.