Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just started playing this after getting it included in a One X bundle. First impressions are it seems much more bright & colourful compared to BF1's grime (different setting I know) that will take some getting used to.

Also the sound effects don't seem as good, maybe I have to fiddle with settings but they seem slightly muffled. I chose the Headphones preset so maybe that's just a bad preset.

Otherwise I'm liking it so far but it's hard to remember there's no spotting, when by reflex whenever someone shoots at me that I can't see I'm so used to spamming it on them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

Use the 3D Headphones audio setting, also what’s your GT?

FYI: I found out last night that swapped out weapons will hang around for a while. I took a sniper overwatching the hangar on Aerodrome last night with my M1A1, then swapped out with his Krag-Jorgensen and got a couple headshots, and when I turned back around at least a minute or so later, my M1A1 was still laying there waiting for me. It honestly felt like I was in a single player campaign using whatever worked best for right then.

Yeah I switched to 3D Headphones and it's much better!

My GT is Lockie but there's probably not much point adding me unless you play on Oceania.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Wow that French war story is ridiculous on Hardcore. Not only are your allies totally useless, you get nade spammed, noob toobed and shelled constantly by enemies who respawn faster than you can kill them lol. Somehow I persevered through it.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The fortifications are great in the attack/defend modes like Breakthrough and they’re useless in ring around the rosie like Conquest and Domination. Hence why Conquest is the worst it’s ever been

:agreed: I was initially turned off by it assuming it was like Fortnite, but because they restrict you to predefined areas it actually works really well in those attack/defend modes but yeah, might aswell not exist in Conquest.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I played BF1 since release and yeah it was fun out of the gates, even with its flaws.

:same: I feel this is a poorer version of BF1. Honestly I wish they'd done something different like make a sequel to 2142 rather than have back to back historical games but I guess WWI and WWII share many of the same assets.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

One thing I really like more than I did on BF1 are the attack/defend gamemodes and I find myself playing those alot more than Conquest. Since players are less bullet spongey it makes a huge difference to have fronts where enemies are coming from roughly the same direction, similar to how Red Orchestra works.

Otherwise in Conquest you're getting shot in the back alot without enough HP to turn and react. Also the fortifying in attack/defend is fun and useful.

I hope the new map coming out is good!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Rorobb posted:

I would love to see a return of BF1's Operations mode, along with all the later-war factions and the Pacific theater, but I am super nervous that they are just going to abandon all of that poo poo. I definitely think there are the bones of a great game here and I still enjoy it, but I am worried.

BFV already has (Grand) Operations mode though? It's my favourite gamemode and they did a good job tying how well your team goes into the narrative & next day bonuses aswell as incorporating the other gamemodes into it.

If it turns out to be a stalemate after 3 days it goes to Final Stand where you get one life and the the playable area gets smaller :derp:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zzulu posted:

It is a serious treaty on historical events!!!!!!!!

*gets called human being by 11 year old child in game*

I can't remember the last time I heard a literal child in an online game I've played. I guess I have Fortnite to thank for that.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Did anyone manage to complete the snowman quest? I've joined about 10 servers running Narvik across all regions and each one has a group of people standing around a bugged unbuildable snowman, shooting and nading it to try and fix it lol.

Someone crashed a bomber into it and another dropped a V1 rocket on it as well, but no luck. :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

The lack of visibility reminds me of the Red Orchestra series on PC but atleast in those games you're playing a few inches from a computer monitor so it's easier to shoot the moving pixel.

I think BF5's problem on console is exacerbated by playing on a TV from a sofa a few feet away.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

Meanwhile, medic remains my least played class for the first time in a battlefield (not counting recon)

Same here. I can't stand SMG's and there's no alternatives for the class. :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

?

It looks like you missed a bunch of shots then you swivelled and tried to shoot him with your gun barrel wedged into the ground.

Notice how the bullets connected fine after you tilted up slightly.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe it's just my imagination, but pubbies seem a lot more organized in this game.

I noticed that too. I think it's because the more idiotic ones are too busy crying in comment sections about EA calling them uneducated.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Medics have a complicated relationship with BFV

On one hand their guns are garbage their gadgets are garbage and their outfits are ugly

On the other hand every player has to wait at least 5 seconds before skipping the revive so you actually can drag pubbies kicking and screaming to victory more consistently

I've found the medic gadgets (namely smoke nades & smoke launcher) to be super useful in attack/defend gamemodes like Breakthrough to break a stalemate. Also popping a smoke on dying teammate in an exposed position can make all the difference in regards to whether you revive them without dying as well or not.

Agreed with the guns though, I can't stand SMG's and unlike BF1 there's no alternative. :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Ok maybe Desert Combat is the answer. I miss parking the blackhawk on the hill above C at lost village and using it as a stationary gun.

Also, no helicopters have been as hard to fly in BF as Desert Combat helicopters.

That was one of my favourite maps! I remember flying across that big lake in my blackhawk, dropping off troops on rooftops and dodging RPG's then flying back and doing it all over again.

I really liked Blackhawk Down. ;)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Why did they remove the swastikas? Are we trying to censor nazis out of history or something

Well for one thing, BF5 depicts the Wehrmacht who historically were banned from being affiliated with political parties and on an individual basis could just as easily have been communist-leaning as centrist or fascist. So Nazi symbolism was less common on their uniforms and vehicles in general compared to the SS who had the whole armband thing going.

Missing swastikas isn't as big of a deal than if they were censored in say, Wolfenstein where you do in fact fight the Nazi party's private army aka the SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

sunday at work posted:

Last thing I heard about PC BF was that the hot new hack is some graphics driver thing that makes everything except player models look like a cell shaded N64 game.

Spending $1000's on hardware only to turn all the graphics down to dogshit quality to get a competitive edge is what PC gaming is all about.