Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

nigga crab pollock posted:

the bringer of light, beezebub, ba'al, lucifer. i beseech thee with this blessing of two liter of mountain dew on your altar

Beelzebub and Ba'al are actually old Canaanite deities. Christians apparently read the Old Testament and suck at reading comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

"And Ahaziah fell down through a lattice in his upper chamber that was in Samaria, and was sick: and he sent messengers, and said unto them, Go, enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron whether I shall recover of this disease." (2 Kings 1:2)

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

The early Christians wrote in Baalzebub as a sort of "lord of demons" because they were illiterate hicks from Galilee who knew their scripture from hearsay.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

ya but i was also under the impression that early christians appropriated their names to decry their gods as false and they just kind of stuck as names for the devil

I've never heard that theory. Sounds interesting, I'll look into it.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Another example, the demon goat devil thing is just a demonization of Pan:

:nws: cuz raunchy rear end Romans/Greeks lol: http://i.imgur.com/VQrIrav.jpg

Also Lucifer means light bringer and there's a ton of similarities between the story of his fall from heaven and the story of Prometheus.

Actually Lucifer is just a direct translation from the Hebrew name "Hillel Ben-Shachar" (shachar means dawn), mentioned in Isaiah 14:12, which probably refers to the king of Babylon and his eventual fall from grace. The verse was adapted to fit with Christian theology.

This is similar to the more famous case of Isaiah 7:14, where the Christian sources have it as "a virgin shall conceive", virgin being a translation of the Hebrew almah, which just means young woman.

• Locked thread