Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 21:thx:

Mostly a setup update here, building Dogmeat a new house and upgrading our weapons before we scoop up Piper to explore to the east - starting with clearing some Super Mutants out of the Boston Library.

I mentioned before that we finished up the western swing on the last stream, so just in case we get a chance to stream again while moving there's a pertinent question that's about the same - should we go East to find Goodneighbor, perhaps investigate The Silver Shroud, finally talk to Jack Cabot, and perhaps investigate a distress call concerning a Caravan in distress, or do we go West and progress the main storyline, coincidentally opening up the detective we're on the way to rescue in this update as a possible companion?

And, perhaps more importantly, who should we take with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Just voted for Cait in the companion poll, but I actually want to vote for "Take Piper on missions where you're going to try a peaceful resolution, and take Cait on missions where you're going to want a violent resolution." Because since you're playing as Archer, the only way to go as far as companions is to romance every female companion possible. I don't know if there are any female Super Mutant or female Ghoul companions in Fallout 4, but if there are, I think Archer would try to sleep with them too. And since that means you'll be needing to raise multiple companions' approval scores to whatever level is needed for romance, it just makes sense to bring either Piper or Cait depending on what kind of missions you're about to do, and whether their best resolution is one that Piper or Cait would approve of more.

And go east, young 200-year-old man.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Voted Strong because I wanted to see you have to fit him into your busy and occasionally cramped lifestyle. Unless you'd prefer to romance Curie which I would also support.

And going East clearly has the cooler sidequest options, while the lame ole main story can go forget itself up its own tiny forgotten butt.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I vote for going East as well.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I vote east because we should always take the opportunity to get stronger and be better at making guns.

Better guns is totally a thing we should aim for at the moment, I feel. Unless you already did that last stream. Which I am still sorry I missed.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 22:thx:

With all those Super Mutants gone there's still a lot of library to explore. After that we go ahead and clear out the Combat Zone, where we meet our new friend Cait... who Piper already knows. I'm sure there's a story there that's worth hearing.

bman in 2288 posted:

I vote east because we should always take the opportunity to get stronger and be better at making guns.

Better guns is totally a thing we should aim for at the moment, I feel. Unless you already did that last stream. Which I am still sorry I missed.

Good news, then, as things are looking pretty good for a stream tonight before the moving begins in earnest. If so it looks like we go East and, unless there's a radical swing in the vote here, we'll take Cait along with us.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Voted Strong because I wanted to see you have to fit him into your busy and occasionally cramped lifestyle. Unless you'd prefer to romance Curie which I would also support.

And going East clearly has the cooler sidequest options, while the lame ole main story can go forget itself up its own tiny forgotten butt.

One robo-vagina in the sink is one too many.

Tax Refund posted:

Just voted for Cait in the companion poll, but I actually want to vote for "Take Piper on missions where you're going to try a peaceful resolution, and take Cait on missions where you're going to want a violent resolution." Because since you're playing as Archer, the only way to go as far as companions is to romance every female companion possible. I don't know if there are any female Super Mutant or female Ghoul companions in Fallout 4, but if there are, I think Archer would try to sleep with them too. And since that means you'll be needing to raise multiple companions' approval scores to whatever level is needed for romance, it just makes sense to bring either Piper or Cait depending on what kind of missions you're about to do, and whether their best resolution is one that Piper or Cait would approve of more.

And go east, young 200-year-old man.

That would make a certain amount of sense, but it would also bog things down switching companions each time. Luckily Piper and Cait are both super easy to impress since they like us to pick locks.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
After being delayed by BWWs being down a fryer we're getting ready to stream!

The Shroud walks again - and so does a beer making robot. This game gets WEIRD sometimes. Next update for those of you who can't catch the streams coming in the morning.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 28, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, loving hell, I missed it again.

I blame food poisoning.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 23:thx:

Enough with randomly killing Raiders and rescuing women with inexplicable Irish accents, we've got a detective to save and a whole subway station full of ghouls who are most definitely not feral but who are still assholes in the way. And at the end... a Vault?

bman in 2288 posted:

Oh, loving hell, I missed it again.

I blame food poisoning.

Ouch. Hope you feel better, but the good thing is that since the videos are going up you'll still see it eventually.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 24:thx:

We finally meet Nick Valentine, but he's not exactly what we were expecting. That's only the halfway point, though, as we still have to fight our way past the rest of the vault and then get past Skinny Malone. Also, don't miss the saga of Soup Can Harry. The government can't make him wear pants, no sir!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 25:thx:

We close out the week with a slightly longer video, investigating the quest Curtain Call and fighting our way up and down a skyscraper to rescue an actor in distress. There's a new friend at the end, a sweet new gun that Piper grabs, and a heartfelt conversation. We'll pick up next week with some more action heading west with Codsworth so that we can be properly buttled. Buttlered. Whatever. The point is, we'll have a servant.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Have you guys thought about editing out breathing into mikes and the sometime broken speaker sound from loud talking?
I really like this LP and will follow it anyway, but it gets distracting/screechy at times.
Maybe you could ask people in the tech support fort or something about it?I obviously don't know anything about editing.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Thesaya posted:

Have you guys thought about editing out breathing into mikes and the sometime broken speaker sound from loud talking?
I really like this LP and will follow it anyway, but it gets distracting/screechy at times.
Maybe you could ask people in the tech support fort or something about it?I obviously don't know anything about editing.

We figured out that the main issue was basically the positioning of the mikes and made some changes to fix it in the two streams that are going to be posted next week and the week after. There's still a bit of sound for particularly heavy sighs, but not the constant sound (especially later in the evening) that was taking place immediately after we switched to using headsets instead of the television mounted setup or the broken speaker sound. Part of that whole learning curve thing, but I think we've got most of the kinks worked out at this point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, is Strong just going to be hanging out at Trinity Tower until we eventually pick him up or does he automatically get sent to a settlement to live in until the player wants to travel with him?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

AradoBalanga posted:

So, is Strong just going to be hanging out at Trinity Tower until we eventually pick him up or does he automatically get sent to a settlement to live in until the player wants to travel with him?

Pretty much. The lobby of that building is pretty much Strong's place now, but once we actually recruit him he can be sent anywhere that another companion can be sent - even places that would seem really inhospitable to Super Mutants.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

We figured out that the main issue was basically the positioning of the mikes and made some changes to fix it in the two streams that are going to be posted next week and the week after. There's still a bit of sound for particularly heavy sighs, but not the constant sound (especially later in the evening) that was taking place immediately after we switched to using headsets instead of the television mounted setup or the broken speaker sound. Part of that whole learning curve thing, but I think we've got most of the kinks worked out at this point.

I am looking forward to that then, and will continue to enjoy the LP until then.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 26:thx:

We're back for the first video of the week, starting with some housecleaning and hunting down our butler to tell him that he's going on an adventure. That takes a little while, since the old junkie is surprisingly hard to find. After that we've got some baseball memorabilia to find, because at least we're getting paid for that job. Too bad about all the Mirelurks, though.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 27:thx:

Our journey to the West continues as we go in search of a fern to make some "medicine" for the hippy drug dealer in Diamond City, and we're not the first people he's sent after this particular item either. Once we're clear of that mess it's time to head toward Walden Pond, since evidently the last person who lived there wasn't nearly as non-materialistic as Henry David Thoreau.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 28:thx:

Today we find the one raider on Walden Pond who actually listened to the tour at the gift shop, and then we kill him and his friends and take their money before heading back toward Diamond City to experience the touching story of a man and his brahmin. Which also doesn't end well. At least we make a new friend at Vault 81 and get a new gun, as we as talking our way in to a real rarity: a vault that's been continuously inhabited by its original dwellers since the war. There's got to be a story behind that.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Could you perhaps turn the brightness up at nighttime? It is really hard to see what you are doing.

Also, because I feel like I am complaining with every comment I make, I really do like your LP.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
drat I keep missing your streams, that's what I get for living in GMT time zone.

Broccoli and cheese soup is usually very good, what type of cheese did you use? It's usually the cheese that messes up the soup.

So I understand that you can romance the companions in this game, is there any benefit to doing so? Can you romance them all? I know you can't romance Codsworth which is a shame.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Thesaya posted:

Could you perhaps turn the brightness up at nighttime? It is really hard to see what you are doing.

Also, because I feel like I am complaining with every comment I make, I really do like your LP.

No worries, I appreciate the help and it helps me fine tune things.

ultrabindu posted:

drat I keep missing your streams, that's what I get for living in GMT time zone.

Broccoli and cheese soup is usually very good, what type of cheese did you use? It's usually the cheese that messes up the soup.

So I understand that you can romance the companions in this game, is there any benefit to doing so? Can you romance them all? I know you can't romance Codsworth which is a shame.

I think we're going to move to doing a weeknight stream since people usually have better things to do on the weekend. Maybe a regular Wednesday night stream - right now we're looking at next Wednesday since we've reached our new hometown and are getting our house keys tomorrow. We'll have internet on Friday, but I have no idea when our furniture arrives other than it being no later than the 11th.

I think we did a mix of a cheddar and another cheese - Nancy says havarti and sharp cheddar. The recipe called for cheddar and American cheese so maybe it was an issue of the melting point. After all the work we decided that in the future somebody else can do all the work on the broccoli and cheese soup and we'll just enjoy the results.

Romancing companions is pretty much an option at the very end of the affection tree, so can be a part of getting each Companion's unique perk (although you can just say that you're going to be best friends) - maybe I'll discuss this at some point to give an idea of what each companion gives, but I think that'll wait until we have all or most of the available companions. You can romance multiple companions without any penalty, and if you sleep near a companion you've got a romantic relationship with you'll get a +15% experience boost for the next 12 in game hours.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 29:thx:

Now that we're in we can make nice with the residents of Vault 81, including (and especially) their school teacher by telling the totally true and accurate story about how we fought a deathclaw. There's also a cat that needs rescuing, some treasure to recover under the nearby pond, and one annoying little sprat who gets bitten by molerats. We can exterminate them, sure. How much trouble could a few rats be?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 30:thx:

As usual with Vaults things just get creepier and creepier the further in we go, with a bizarre series of hidden experiments, all kinds of mole rats, a funeral display, and a new robot friend with a fun accent. At the end we've got a moral decision to make, and that moral compass might be a bit off kilter...

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Have you considered the robot being French is because of Marie Curie's nationality?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pretty sure you missed a safe in the vault 81 secret vault. At least it looked like one in one of the side rooms before you got to Curie.

And please raise your hacking, I love seeing terminals get hacked. The backstories are always amazing. You can always explain it away with Vault-Tec being doofuses and just using password as their password.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Stream Status Update: So we have a home, we have internet, and we will have a TV and couch to sit on and stream from on Monday. With all that we're aiming for a stream on Wednesday night starting between 7:30 and 8:00 PM Central Time assuming that nothing goes wrong. We've still got four updates in the bank, so those will be posted starting Monday. There might be some weird breaks in these since the last stream didn't go for the normal full length.

Right now the plan is to take Cait through the current quest line and then switch to somebody else. Vote here for our next companion. If we need to advance the story or do a specific quest to bring a companion along and that companion wins, I'll just finish up that quest and grab the new companion.

seaborgium posted:

Pretty sure you missed a safe in the vault 81 secret vault. At least it looked like one in one of the side rooms before you got to Curie.

And please raise your hacking, I love seeing terminals get hacked. The backstories are always amazing. You can always explain it away with Vault-Tec being doofuses and just using password as their password.

Maybe we'll go back and look for the safe, but maybe not. The good news is that I actually boosted the hacking in the next video, so there will be more backstories! A couple more levels and we should be able to pick/hack anything in the game.

Thesaya posted:

Have you considered the robot being French is because of Marie Curie's nationality?

That is the kind of joke a scientist would appreciate, but part of me thinks it's a French Maid thing. Perhaps that's something that would be cleared up if I went back and looked at that terminal...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Man, I was sure the molequest in Vault 81 was going to be more of a problem for you for some reason. CodsworthWoodhouse being bit a few times aside you really VATSed it through like a champ though.

And Marie Curie is most definitely a Madame Curie the nuclear scientist reference. She doesn't do or say anything maidlike or (thankfully) fetishy.

Here are a few Spray n Pray rename suggestions: The Rain of Fire, DeathFaucet, or 33 and a Third on .45

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 31:thx:

Today we're turning in some quests, picking up Cait, and heading to Goodneighbor. There's some ghouls and super mutants along the way, and the Spray and Pray gets a workout. We get the ol' Goodneighbor welcome and meet our good friend Hancock before getting paid for something we'd already done and picking up our next quest thread... The Silver Shroud!

Vote here for our companion in Wednesday's stream!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Man, I was sure the molequest in Vault 81 was going to be more of a problem for you for some reason. CodsworthWoodhouse being bit a few times aside you really VATSed it through like a champ though.

And Marie Curie is most definitely a Madame Curie the nuclear scientist reference. She doesn't do or say anything maidlike or (thankfully) fetishy.

Here are a few Spray n Pray rename suggestions: The Rain of Fire, DeathFaucet, or 33 and a Third on .45

I had a much harder time with that quest the first time I played, but once you realize what you're getting into and have some firepower it's not that bad. It's still virtually impossible to not get bitten, but it's less fatal now. Relevant to our character Curie's accent always makes me think of Framboise, Barry's almost fiance from Archer. I'll try those rename suggestions on our test audience and see if any of them stick!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I made an attempt at a thing

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Considering that this is Archer we're talking about, Spray and Pray needs to be renamed Do You NOT Count Bullets?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 32:thx:

Because of the last stream being a weird length this particular episode ended up being a bit longer than usual - there's a lot of people to meet and things to do in Goodneighbor, and we haven't even picked up all of the available quests at this point. We also meet an old acquaintance and then have to go to extraordinary lengths to save him from a quirk in the game. After that it's off to raid Hubris Comics for costume supplies, including getting a distinct upgrade for Cait.

Stream Update: I now have a couch, TV, and working internet so we're a go for streaming tomorrow night starting between 7:30 and 8:00 PM Central Time. We'll have to see how the internet connection performs here, but it's the fastest available in the area so the question is going to be if I have to tweak upload settings.

Companion vote like is here

ultrabindu posted:

I made an attempt at a thing

You did not attempt a thing, you succeeded. That is amazing, and going on the wall of honor.

bman in 2288 posted:

Considering that this is Archer we're talking about, Spray and Pray needs to be renamed Do You NOT Count Bullets?

You magnificent bastard.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I also suggest upgrading your guns more. I have this nagging feeling that you're going to need it soon.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 33:thx:

Now that we have a costume it's time to fully assume the roll of the Silver Shroud, which mostly consists of running around exacting vigilante justice while speaking in exaggerated comic book dialogue. I can live with that. Along the way we run into a familiar face from Fallout 3, who's now available to be our companion. I'm telling you, only in Goodneighbor could we get away with this stuff.

Speaking of companions, today is the final chance to vote here before we stream tonight starting around 7:30 PM Central. If you're following me on Twitch don't be surprised if at some point before that I run a short test stream.

bman in 2288 posted:

I also suggest upgrading your guns more. I have this nagging feeling that you're going to need it soon.

We'll have to see what's available with our ranks in Gun Nut and about picking up some Science for better sights. There's a balance between when upgrades are available because of perk requirements to craft specific improvements and how much you can improve your damage using perks compared to when enemies start spawning at higher levels. A lot of times just putting a point into the perk that corresponds to your favorite weapon type is enough to keep you competitive, since a 20% increase in damage is pretty large.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
But big guns need big damage. I thought that was obvious.

And Serpintine and the Tommy gun are big(ger) guns. Would Archer approve of using under-worked guns?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Our alcohol stores at the moment makes me happy. Hopefully, this will keep us from soberness for a long time.

(Also, I really need to watch Archer. I only know the show from internet quotations and I am starting to feel embarrassed of my lack of actual knowledge.)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Thesaya posted:

Our alcohol stores at the moment makes me happy. Hopefully, this will keep us from soberness for a long time.

(Also, I really need to watch Archer. I only know the show from internet quotations and I am starting to feel embarrassed of my lack of actual knowledge.)
Don't worry, I am also in that same boat. I know Comedy Central airs the show, but I've never been able to sync up my schedule to get around to watching the show.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Don't worry, I am also in that same boat. I know Comedy Central airs the show, but I've never been able to sync up my schedule to get around to watching the show.

I think it's on Netflix, too.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, we're getting ready to stream now

Stream over - we finished the Shroud quest, opened up a few more options for later, and did the quest line to enable to Hancock as a companion. Some time with Cait, and some with Strong - should we do a few more quests with Strong, or should we go for a new companion since he isn't exactly compatible?

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 34:thx:

With this episode we're closing out the short pre-move stream, which means the beginning of last night's stream will go up tomorrow. Kendra's mouth has been writing checks that her entire gang's asses can't cash, and we're in the neighborhood to go in search of a beer-brewing robot for another quest. Unfortunately there's a crowded bunch of city streets full of super mutants and gunners, with a nest of raiders at the end who have no idea what they're sitting on top of.

• Locked thread