Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

There was an aluminum canister at about 9 minutes, is there a reason you didn't grab it? I thought aluminum was really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 34:thx:

With this episode we're closing out the short pre-move stream, which means the beginning of last night's stream will go up tomorrow. Kendra's mouth has been writing checks that her entire gang's asses can't cash, and we're in the neighborhood to go in search of a beer-brewing robot for another quest. Unfortunately there's a crowded bunch of city streets full of super mutants and gunners, with a nest of raiders at the end who have no idea what they're sitting on top of.
Quoting for the new page.

Kendra's an unfortunate distraction from the real story quest: The beer-brewing robot is the most important thing in the world.
Make it happen and max it out ASAP, please.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The power armor + Silver Shroud outfit reminded me of this:

Yes, that's the severed head of The Shadow slapped onto a robot body following his death. The Shadow comics went to some odd places in the 80s.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes, that's the severed head of The Shadow slapped onto a robot body following his death. The Shadow comics went to some odd places in the 80s.

I remember seeing something about this on Cracked, back when they were good.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 35:thx:

And now we've got the first part of this week's stream up, starting with our rescue of Buddy. It... doesn't go well initially, but we get him there in the end. We'll have to see if he can still be taught more recipes living in his new home. After that we've got to meet with Hancock (as the Shroud) and then go north to murder a couple of bands of thugs (again as the Shroud). But first we have to get there, and there's a lot of ground to cover.

There was some pixelization as a result of slow internet, so we're going to have to adjust the stream resolution a bit to compensate - the reason we didn't in midstream was that it seemed likely that I'd lose download access to what we had already completed, so I figured that something was better than nothing.

Next stream will be on Tuesday around 7:30 PM, and you can vote on our next companion here

A couple important questions - Strong was only our companion for part of the stream. Should we ditch him immediately and take the winner of the new poll, or keep him for about an hour and then take the new winner?

We're also getting to the point where we've got a backlog of quests. Are you all most interested in the Vault Tech DLC, The Mechanist DLC, the Main Quest, Investigating Cabot House, or Drug Hunting for Fred?

AradoBalanga posted:

That would fit perfectly with the Fallout 4 aesthetic and general weirdness.

seaborgium posted:

There was an aluminum canister at about 9 minutes, is there a reason you didn't grab it? I thought aluminum was really useful.

Aluminum is really useful, so it might have been a case of weight versus benefit. Aluminum canisters weigh about 3 pounds and provide about the same amount of aluminum as surgery trays, which weigh half a pound. I was running close to the edge on weight so I probably decided not to take the canister because I didn't want to get overburdened.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since Strong likes almost none of our actions, I'd say ditch Strong for the poll winner, and go searching for some drugs for this Fred guy.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Yeah, Strong is a major buzzkill as a companion. Ditch him, also seek out the Cabot house.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I don't care about Strong at all, so I'm another vote to ditch him ASAP. I would like to see both the drugs for Fred quest and also the Cabot house quest, but I don't have any opinion about which order to do them in.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 36:thx:

In this update we're dealing with the second gang of thugs that Sinjin has sent after us, with a slight detour (twice) to rescue a caravan that's being attacked by an army of robots. The only survivor is also a robot, our new companion Ada who is part of the first DLC for Fallout 4. We can get to that later, because once we finish off the gang it turns out are good friend Kent has been kidnapped and we need to ride to his rescue. Tune in for the thrilling conclusion of the Silver Shroud tomorrow!

By which I mean tomorrow morning, as we'll stream tomorrow evening. Voting is still open for companions here but I think it's pretty well set by this point.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 37:thx:

The thrilling conclusion to the adventures of the Silver Shroud, with minor difficulties in getting the enemies to play their roles in the drama properly. After a couple of attempts we get the good ending, which means that Kent remains alive and will give us occasional upgrades to our Silver Shroud armor. After that we close out with Hancock, and then it's time to head out and prepare for a less above ground quest.

Final chance to vote here before we stream tonight. I've got a work thing in the evening, but don't expect it to be a significant delay from the normal 7:30-8:00 PM Central start time.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, after a slight delay we are getting ready to stream now

Stream complete! Thanks everybody for coming out.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 19, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 38:thx:

This time around we've got a job with Bobby No-Nose, who comes by her name honest. It might be the only thing place that word can be used to describe her, but you do what you've got to do. She's planning a big heist, but before we can start there's a few little odds and ends to put into place. Once we get down to business there's more than a few Mirelurks to put into place. And Strong approves of none of this skulduggery, other than the parts that lead to murder.

In fact, I might leave him out of the next couple of polls since he's a bit of a downer. We'll see, but I'll have something up by Friday so that we can get voting started.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 39:thx:

With this update we're concluding our underground adventures, where everything's as much on the up and up as you'd expect. The upside is that we're going to end up with a new friend, but the downside is that there's still a bunch of feral ghouls and mirelurks between us and the exit. The power armor certainly helps, and we cut an interesting figure as we fight through the tunnels.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
To clarify things, the odd dark corner is fine, it is the nighttime that was really hard to see.
Also, is there a reason you didn't have Bobbi explain herself? I would have loved to know her reasoning. Do you only get one of the dialogue options?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 40:thx:

With this we're in to the beginning of this week's stream, back with Cait and going in search of some funky drugs at Hallucigen Drugs. Seems like we're doing an awful lot of retrieval missions for junkies. Anyway, unfortunately we're not the only ones here. The Gunners have already gotten in and taken an unexpected sample. We'll have to see if it's made them any better as fighters, but right now all signs are pointing to "No."

Planning to stream next Wednesday, so vote for companions here. We're running dry on short things to do by the end of this stream, so if you have anything you'd particularly like to see go ahead and pipe up. Voting for certain companions will also be considered as endorsing their quest line.

Thesaya posted:

To clarify things, the odd dark corner is fine, it is the nighttime that was really hard to see.
Also, is there a reason you didn't have Bobbi explain herself? I would have loved to know her reasoning. Do you only get one of the dialogue options?

It really depends on the conversation. There are a few cases where conversation will just loop back around until you choose the "go forward" option, but for the most part you do only get one dialogue option. This might have been a case where Bobbi explaining herself would have looped back around, or it might have moved us forward to a different set of dialogue options.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

That Super Mutant at about 13 minutes in was sneaking up on you "with cat-like tread", wasn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1r_KUjRRxM&t=6s

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Tax Refund posted:

That Super Mutant at about 13 minutes in was sneaking up on you "with cat-like tread", wasn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1r_KUjRRxM&t=6s

Aww man, now I feel rude for just shooting him out of hand and not letting him finish the entire number.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

Aww man, now I feel rude for just shooting him out of hand and not letting him finish the entire number.

SUPERMUTANTS: With radroach tread, armor lined with steel;
You'll soon be dead, cause Humans taste like veal.
Here it comes, I'm gonna bash your skull;
Man time is done, Mutants rule the world-

SOLE SURVIVOR: (softly) Some radaway, a can of cram!

SUPER MUTANTS
: How mightily the mutant stalks,
While Mutant hounds go out for walks-

Hu-mans, you hide in vaults,
Your next distinction, will be swift extinction,
We're bigs and you're the smalls, We'll see that your bloodline halts

SOLE SURVIVOR: (softly) A line of sight, I'll check my VATS!

SUPER MUTANT ENFORCER: (distributing implements to various members of the gang)
Here's your hitting board and your mini-nuke,
You're a suicider--you may have to puke,
Take this minigun, don't shoot off your toes,
Watch for our landmines, and your molotovic throws.

SOLE SURVIVOR: A critical!

SUPER MUTANTS: With radroach tread

SOLE SURVIVOR: A headshot crit!

SUPER MUTANTS: You'll soon be dead,

ALL (fortissimo): With radroach tread, armor lined with steel;
Here it comes, I'm gonna bash your skull;
Man time is done, Mutants rule the world-

Hu-mans, you hide in vaults,
Your next distinction, will be swift extinction,
We're bigs and you're the smalls, We'll see that your bloodline halts

With radroach tread, armor lined with steel;

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update41:thx:

Today we're finishing up our search at Hallucigen and then heading over to visit Jack Cabot to finally see about that job offer. A courier with an important package hasn't showed up (where have we heard that before?) and we're supposed to find out what happened to the poor stiff. The catch is that they were already on the far north end of the map, so we've got a lot of ground to cover before we can put this one to bed. There's Rust Devils and Raiders and all kinds of trouble between us and our destination, so we'd better get started.

Still on track for a stream on Wednesday, possibly about half an hour than previous streams. Voting is still open [url=https://goo.gl/QHWzNO]here on our next companion.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

With Radroach Tread

I think the best parts of this in my mind are the super mutants doing some of the choreography from the play and that they're evidently continuing to sing and perform even as some of them are being shot. Truly dedicated to the stage. As much as I love the songs from the Pirates of Penzance I really need to actually get to a production at some point.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You didn't take the bourbon he put on the table! Weren't you able to take that despite being offered?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 42:thx:

Today we finish our trip north in search of this mysterious package, stopping briefly to snark at the guards who can literally point to where the raiders who stole the package are hiding. Combined with a brief fight this makes Cait decide to open up to us about her past, and things get really dark really quickly. Back at Cabot house there's more work for us involving chasing down Jack's wayward sister, but this jazz singer who's got information on her might be even more interesting...

I appreciate the voting that's going on here about who we should take on the next stream, which is still on schedule for tomorrow night.

Thesaya posted:

You didn't take the bourbon he put on the table! Weren't you able to take that despite being offered?

I didn't actually notice him putting it there.. something about sitting down in that chair always messes me up. When we eventually get back here I'll have to see if it's still there.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 43:thx:

Running out of ways to procrastinate it's time to go ahead and rescue Jack's sister. She's holed up with a crazy cult that we've already met once before, but she isn't exactly grateful for the rescue. The next step in this quest line has a reward that we're going to want to save for a bit later, so instead of going back to Jack we've got a paying job in Goodneighbor for White Chapel Charlie. It's the kind of thing pretty much custom-made to make Cait happy: three locked warehouses full of ghoul gangsters, where we'll be breaking and entering the entire time.

Stay on the lookout for a stream tonight, and remember that voting is still open here for our companion.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The picture you couldn't make out was a kitten. Looked like an old postcard someone had framed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

That little corner with a bucket for the triggerman to use as a latrine? The best part was the plunger on the shelf next to it.

And the little cat poster was of "Mr. Pebbles, the first cat in space." Maybe the dude really liked cats, and for some reason they're not around anymore.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 26, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We are getting ready to stream now!

Stream complete! Made a lot of story progress, and then we went kind of Cthulhu there at the end.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 27, 2016

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Since I missed most of it again. I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but the Dunwich Borers isn't the only notable Lovecraft reference in Fallout4. I don't think you've done it this run so I won't go into detail. Pretty different story setup in the game of course, but it's definitely another pretty well-regarded story.

Also I actually managed to make a real twitch account! I did have to spend a couple of hours figuring out that it wouldn't work at all with my usual browser for some ridiculously arcane reason. Hooray technology! Now I just have to catch up with the last video in time to watch the new videos as you post them...

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 44:thx:

To close out the video from last week's stream we're going on a little adventure at the Pickman Gallery, which you might recall as the source of a creepy letter we found on some dead raiders way back when we finally started heading to Diamond City. There's some paranoid raiders outside, and as for the gallery... I'm a bit worried about the artist, to be honest. We're on a mission to clean up a gang of raiders and help the owner of the house, but when it's all said and done I'm not sure we were the good guys here. On the upside, Cait's finally comfortable enough with us to talk about her real problem and give us a quest to go in search of a hidden Vault that can clean up any addict, no matter how hooked they are.

Looks like the mid-week streams are working out pretty well, so we'll keep it up and shoot for next Wednesday again. I'll have a poll up tomorrow along with the first video from this week's stream.

I'm kind of curious what the thought is on DLC - is there a certain point where we should just take a break from the main story and do the DLC? Or should it be treated as post-game content? Right now we've unlocked three DLCs (Automatron, Far Harbor, and the Vault-Tec Workshop) with one more to go. Automatron and the Vault-Tec Workshop both take place in the Commonwealth, but Far Harbor and the final DLC take us outside into special areas. Ideally I'd like to keep going on each DLC once it's started until we finish, rather than going back and forth.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Since I missed most of it again. I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but the Dunwich Borers isn't the only notable Lovecraft reference in Fallout4. I don't think you've done it this run so I won't go into detail. Pretty different story setup in the game of course, but it's definitely another pretty well-regarded story.

Also I actually managed to make a real twitch account! I did have to spend a couple of hours figuring out that it wouldn't work at all with my usual browser for some ridiculously arcane reason. Hooray technology! Now I just have to catch up with the last video in time to watch the new videos as you post them...

Hooray, and welcome! I didn't mention the other reference and for some reason my mind is blanking, but if possible I'd definitely like to see it... unless it's the conclusion to the Cabot quest line, in which case we'll definitely see it.

seaborgium posted:

That little corner with a bucket for the triggerman to use as a latrine? The best part was the plunger on the shelf next to it.

And the little cat poster was of "Mr. Pebbles, the first cat in space." Maybe the dude really liked cats, and for some reason they're not around anymore.

I did not even see the plunger, but that's awesome. The good news is that cats are around, just kind of hard to find. You can trap cats using the Wasteland Workshop DLC content and have them running around your settlements, so they're definitely running around out in the wasteland.

Thesaya posted:

The picture you couldn't make out was a kitten. Looked like an old postcard someone had framed.

And I just remembered that there's actually a story behind all of the cat pictures you can find in Fallout 4, and the artist who painted them. It's part of the Far Harbor DLC.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am sorry darlings but you made me literally facepalm. That is not Art Noveau. Art Noveu is inspired by nature, flowery and watercolours.
Those pictures were more like Expressionism. You know, like Edward Munch.

Oh, and I can't remember if this was mentioned before but that mission is a quite clear reference to the story Pickman's Model by HP Lovecraft. It is quite short and worth a read if you haven't already.

Edit; saw you mentioned it in the stream description. My bad.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Thesaya posted:

Oh, and I can't remember if this was mentioned before but that mission is a quite clear reference to the story Pickman's Model by HP Lovecraft. It is quite short and worth a read if you haven't already.

Yeah, this was what I was thinking of. Guess you got through it already.

ddegenha posted:

I'm kind of curious what the thought is on DLC - is there a certain point where we should just take a break from the main story and do the DLC? Or should it be treated as post-game content? Right now we've unlocked three DLCs (Automatron, Far Harbor, and the Vault-Tec Workshop) with one more to go. Automatron and the Vault-Tec Workshop both take place in the Commonwealth, but Far Harbor and the final DLC take us outside into special areas. Ideally I'd like to keep going on each DLC once it's started until we finish, rather than going back and forth.

I say do Automatron as soon as you feel the need for a wilderness break and want some higher-level dungeon time. You also might want to wait until you can carry/deal with all the new loot bits your enemies will start to drop everywhere. Far Harbor (and if necessary Nuka-World?) should probably wait until post game since it's/they're so big an area to cover with so many little missions. Vault-Tec doesn't seem like it's that interesting to LP because of all the building stuff, but if Archer needs a secret base I guess he's gotta do what he's gonna do.

And on the subject of cats- wasn't there an early farming settlement (Tenpines Bluff maybe?) that had a bunch of cats wandering around and where the NPC trading mysteriously let you buy cat meat?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I just had an epiphany.

Send Preston somewhere else. Where he can't bother you.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 45:thx:

So we're finally going back and touching on the main quest, basically so that we can get Nick as a permanent companion. Luckily he's got a lead on someone who matches our description from inside Vault 111, and who was even seen with a child in the past: a guy named Kellogg. Now we just have to track him down through a wasteland full of mutants and mole rats and mongrels. Oh my. Luckily we're accompanied on this trip by our faithful dog and our robot sidekick.

Nick's hanging out with us until the beginning of next stream (Wednesday again), so vote on his replacement here.

Thesaya posted:

I am sorry darlings but you made me literally facepalm. That is not Art Noveau. Art Noveu is inspired by nature, flowery and watercolours.
Those pictures were more like Expressionism. You know, like Edward Munch.

Sadly, my long ago art history teacher was an artist first and a historian barely - much more apt to talk about brush strokes and colors than to actually connect artistic movements and place them in sequence. But I can definitely see the Edward Munch description.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

And on the subject of cats- wasn't there an early farming settlement (Tenpines Bluff maybe?) that had a bunch of cats wandering around and where the NPC trading mysteriously let you buy cat meat?

I don't know that it's a settlement, but I have heard that there's a shack like that around somewhere in the northwest quadrant of the game map. I don't think we've seen it on this playthrough.

bman in 2288 posted:

I just had an epiphany.

Send Preston somewhere else. Where he can't bother you.

Tempting, but then I might forget where I sent him if we ever decided to use him as a companion. Although I suppose if we went into his quest line a bit, that does involve opening up an alternative location where he'd be easy to find...

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/VlXPfoE.webm

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 46:thx:

This week we're starting out by tracking Kellogg down to his lair, an old military base called Fort Hagen. There's a few more unexpected surprises along the way, and at the end of the road the building is covered in security turrets with no obvious entrance. Kellogg's waiting for us at the bottom of the basement behind wave after wave of synths, confirming once and for all that the Institute is behind the whole thing. It's also a good thing that no door or computer can stop us now, because we're cracking this place open like an egg.

Voting is still open here for our next companion, and we'll be streaming again on Wednesday.

Truly a moment that deserves to be captured for posterity... although you misspelled scent.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 47:thx:

In today's update we finally come face to face with Kellogg, the man responsible for pretty much everything bad that's happened to us. Is there a response too extreme when faced with such a villain? You be the judge. When it's all said and done we go back out into the sunlight, only to find that everything has changed while we were inside...

Voting continues here, and stream tomorrow.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I miss the facepalm about art. Episode 46 made me facepalm for a whole other reason, especially as a lesbian. I do not want those images in my head! :cripes:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 48:thx:

Kellogg's dead, and with him our only lead to finding the wee baby Shaunmus. Luckily, when we visit her after doing some inventory maintenance in Sanctuary Piper has an idea and Nick knows someone who can help us literally pick Kellogg's brain. So we're off to see the good Doctor Amari to prepare for a journey into the mind... which will be tomorrow's extra long update.

In the meantime, look for an early-ish (around 7:30 PM Central) stream tonight and vote here for our next companion. Last time I looked we had a tie, so your vote counts.

Thesaya posted:

I miss the facepalm about art. Episode 46 made me facepalm for a whole other reason, especially as a lesbian. I do not want those images in my head! :cripes:

Feel free to bring up robo-vaginas if you make it to the stream tonight. It'd even be topical, considering that we're talking Archer here.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

Feel free to bring up robo-vaginas if you make it to the stream tonight. It'd even be topical, considering that we're talking Archer here.

Haha, I would but your streams are at like four in the morning for me.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Thesaya posted:

I'm not sorry.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're about to start streaming!

Stream complete! The U.S.S. Constitution has a new home and we're finishing the Cabot House quest line next time.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 49:thx:

Today we're on a journey through Kellogg's memories, which go back a surprisingly long way and also show that we have a lot in common... which is all the more reason to be glad he's dead, all things considered. The result is a lead on getting into the Institute, but that's going to take us far south to an even more radioactive wasteland called "The Glowing Sea" so we'll put that off for now. Instead, we're heading to Greentop Nursery since that's a timed quest. In return for our consideration they send us to the Dunwhich Borers, a not at all ominous name that I'm sure in no way hides secret horrors beneath the earth.

• Locked thread