Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 183:thx:

We're penetrating the Nucleus, and some idiot has already set all of the traps off and gotten all of the robots ready to kill. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the robots include several Assaultron Dominators, and if you thought that an invisible death-robot with a giant sword was bad before they're even worse in narrow corridors. When we get to the center we have to dive in and go after DIMA's memories, and that's.. well, really hard to describe. You kind of have to see it to believe it.

Thesaya posted:

Learning time!
Rabbits do eat their poop, but not the pellets you see. Their appendix still has a job and produces another kind filled with vitamin b and nutrients and stuff that they eat. It is softer and shaped differently.

Edit;

I have, through my hobby of researching serial killers and murderers in general, found out what the "modern" minutemen are;
Minuteman project
kind of puts a damper on things.

Oh, and where I got this information; Death knock

Neat, we figured out that they do at some point but that's a lot more detail on how and why.

Ugh, those Minutemen sound awful. And now Preston doesn't seem nearly so bad in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 184:thx:

Did you like that block puzzle from last episode? I hope you did because we've got three more today, each more complicated and finicky than the last with the degraded tool that is settlement mode. We only need to get through the first three of five total problems to technically finish the quest, but there's some worthwhile rewards to be had for doing all five. The big takeaway from today is that we have the power to destroy either the Children of Atom or Far Harbor, and also that Nick and DIMA have legitimate history together so that wasn't a lie.

So the relevant question is this: who should we destroy? Or, since it's a short conclusion, should I do one and then the other as our "canon" ending just so that people can see what happens either way?

Also, people in the stream were suggesting that we might want to speed past this. Would there be some interest in a double-speed video of all the block puzzles, with a slow down to normal speed for when we're actually getting a chance to listen to the tapes?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I vote for Destroy Far Harbor but only because I destroyed the Children of Atom in my play through.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Ehr, I already skipped through the video only stopping at the relevant bits tbh. I like your talking but I prefer having something at least marginally interesting to watch too.

And I vote for showing off both but starting with saving Far Harbour since I am watching this for the first time and it fits with the way we have played so far.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
The amount of times Metal Gear gets brought up you're going to have to play it on stream at some point.
Shame I got rid of my playstation, we could have done co-op peace walker.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 185:thx:

Today we've got the final block puzzle, and it's the most insanely complicated of the lot. It also takes place over a vast empty space that will leave anybody who's afraid of heights understandably freaked out, and I'll admit that the first time I completed it I was sweating at the end. The prize for all of this is coordinates for three chests containing Marine Combat Armor, which is pretty much the best non-powered armor in the game. It's a fitting reward for all of that trouble which we'll pick up... next time.

Speaking of which, we still have some updates in the tank but next stream will be on Thursday.

White Coke posted:

I vote for Destroy Far Harbor but only because I destroyed the Children of Atom in my play through.

I'd be curious to find anyone who actually sided with the Children of Atom the first time through. They're just such assholes.

Thesaya posted:

Ehr, I already skipped through the video only stopping at the relevant bits tbh. I like your talking but I prefer having something at least marginally interesting to watch too.

And I vote for showing off both but starting with saving Far Harbour since I am watching this for the first time and it fits with the way we have played so far.

Today's update might not be the best one for you then, although I'd encourage at least a look to see the kind of insanity that the final puzzle throws at us.

ultrabindu posted:

The amount of times Metal Gear gets brought up you're going to have to play it on stream at some point.
Shame I got rid of my playstation, we could have done co-op peace walker.

Metal Gear has been a profound influence, but I'll admit that I'm actually not very good at it. I have a tendency to lose patience with the stealth part of stealth action games and go straight to the action... which is also usually not very good, because those games are not optimized for action because fighting is supposed to be a punishment rather than the main game play mode.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I just picked up the DLC for this and how do you guys feel about them? Far Harbor is pretty good and robot customization shenanigans are cool but I keep comparing them to the New Vegas DLC and they feel like they fall way short.

I mean Old World Blues was just excellent, and Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road were pretty great too. I dunno. I guess I hope Obsidian does a Fallout 4: New Vegas type thing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cathode Raymond posted:

I guess I hope Obsidian does a Fallout 4: New Vegas type thing.

For a while there were rumors that Obsidian was going to do a Fallout: New-New Orleans.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cathode Raymond posted:

I just picked up the DLC for this and how do you guys feel about them? Far Harbor is pretty good and robot customization shenanigans are cool but I keep comparing them to the New Vegas DLC and they feel like they fall way short.

My thoughts on the DLC (from last September!), responding to a question about getting the Season Pass:

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I only think of Far Harbor as being important since the locations and story add a bunch of fairly interesting content, but Automatron does has some good stuff if you like fiddling with robots plus a negligible short story bit. Vault-Tec Workshop is blah unless you're in love with making a half-realized vault for yourself and I'm leaning negative about the half of Nuka-World I've seen so far. The other little packs have a bunch of placeable items and some working machinery for [thing] automation.

In short: If you're big into settlement building and personalization, definitely. If not, at least Far Harbor is pretty cool.

I've since seen the rest of Nuka-World, and since the videos and streams haven't gotten there yet I'll not go into detail about my thoughts yet. However, I will say that although I hate the story parts of it the setting and some of the soda-related added material is pretty interesting. The map is bigger than I expected and there is (a little) actual interaction with the Commonwealth.

In shorter:
Farharbar: good, Automatron/Nuka: okay, Vault-tec: bah, Other Two Workshops: technically exist I suppose but who cares

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

ddegenha posted:

Metal Gear has been a profound influence, but I'll admit that I'm actually not very good at it. I have a tendency to lose patience with the stealth part of stealth action games and go straight to the action... which is also usually not very good, because those games are not optimized for action because fighting is supposed to be a punishment rather than the main game play mode.

I wouldn't say it's about how good you are, more it's what keeps bringing you back to this batshit series of games. I think Peace Walker or The Phantom Pain would be good for you since there's a whole bunch of tools to use for stealth. I do think the having forced alerts gets in the way a lot though.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

My thoughts on the DLC (from last September!), responding to a question about getting the Season Pass:

I've since seen the rest of Nuka-World, and since the videos and streams haven't gotten there yet I'll not go into detail about my thoughts yet. However, I will say that although I hate the story parts of it the setting and some of the soda-related added material is pretty interesting. The map is bigger than I expected and there is (a little) actual interaction with the Commonwealth.

In shorter:
Farharbar: good, Automatron/Nuka: okay, Vault-tec: bah, Other Two Workshops: technically exist I suppose but who cares

I think we could probably address how deceptive some of the writing generally for Fallout4 is. For a game that's open world with RPG mechanics the main quest is shockingly railroaded. Sean makes you head of the Institute but at no point can you go ahead and say "yeah the whole abduction and replacing people thing, you better cut that out". You can't even challenge him on his poo poo.
And I fervently believe Bethesda's QA consisted of one guy going "good enough".

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 186:thx:

After we break the news to Nick about his connection with DiMA it's time to go in search of the Marine Combat Armor, which is underwater in three different locations across the island. It's the best available gear so it's worth the trip, but I'm kind of divided on keeping the helmet. I mean, we kind of lose some expressiveness so I'd be interested in thoughts on that. On the upside, we have a Darth Vader aesthetic going here that I kind of dig. After modifying the armor to make it fit for use we begin our scavenger hunt for the various doomsday keys hidden around the island, starting with getting the conclusion of the story from the terminal at the bottom of the Nucleus. It's... not exactly happy.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I mean Old World Blues was just excellent, and Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road were pretty great too. I dunno. I guess I hope Obsidian does a Fallout 4: New Vegas type thing.

I think that one of the things that really helped the entire New Vegas DLC set was that there was a kind of narrative thread tying all the DLC together. The DLC for FO4 is entirely isolated and doesn't really expand the storyline the same way.

ultrabindu posted:

I wouldn't say it's about how good you are, more it's what keeps bringing you back to this batshit series of games. I think Peace Walker or The Phantom Pain would be good for you since there's a whole bunch of tools to use for stealth. I do think the having forced alerts gets in the way a lot though.

I think we could probably address how deceptive some of the writing generally for Fallout4 is. For a game that's open world with RPG mechanics the main quest is shockingly railroaded. Sean makes you head of the Institute but at no point can you go ahead and say "yeah the whole abduction and replacing people thing, you better cut that out". You can't even challenge him on his poo poo.
And I fervently believe Bethesda's QA consisted of one guy going "good enough".

Hmm, I do have Phantom Pain sitting on the shelf and haven't gotten a chance to get into it... that might be worth a try somewhere down the line. We're actually getting fairly close to the end of this LP and the next thing I'm thinking about is actually going to be relatively short.

I agree on the writing for FO4. It's a stark contrast to, say, FO2 where a lot of those conversation options existed and where pretty much any NPC in the game was subject to being killed. There were usually multiple methods of ending each quest, and the dialogue trees were often surprisingly deep. The dialogue in FO4 is actually very limited and you often don't have an option to go back and try a different option if you don't like the direction the conversation is heading.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 187:thx:

After a bit of initial confusion we're off to search for our next doomsday key, and the creatures and objects of Far Harbor are having an off day today. Whether it's Gulpers in trees or skeletons standing straight up in a row boat, things might be bizarre but they're not boring. And so we blaze a trail across the island spreading destruction in our wake... we might not be actually where we intended by the end, but we're certainly a lot closer.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 3, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, let's determine the fate of Far Harbor here and now.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 188:thx:

Today we're continuing on the way to DiMA's cache, and with just a few dead trappers we're there. I... honestly can't remember what was in the cache, so it can't have been that important. What does matter is getting to DiMA's secret medical facility, but before we can do that some settlements on Far Harbor need our help. It's the usual rigamarole, but in the end we're on the way to DiMA's facility. Which is under a soda factory, which is full of super mutants. The fun never stops in Far Harbor!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 189:thx:

A bit of a long one today as we explore the entirety of the Vim Soda factory, where there's a bunch of super mutants on lockdown because they're too stupid to open electronic doors. Someone set all this up and we'll meet them eventually, but in the meantime there's a lot of shooting to do. There's some disturbing evidence of DiMA's past activities in the basement that we're going to have to have a long talk with him about, but on the up side we got a SWEET set of custom-painted power armor that we're going to wear for the rest of Far Harbor.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 190:thx:

Today's update takes us on a quest for The Red Death, a terrifying Mirelurk who has been responsible for dozens of deaths over the years. The reality is... well, you'll just have to see. After that it's time to do some helpful things for the synths of Acadia, and then it's time for that long talk with DiMA about his previous actions.

If you watch carefully, you can also see where I managed to screw up one of the quest lines and put a game-breaking bug into effect that keeps the main Far Harbor quest line from completing. The good news is that I found an old save from before that happened, and since I'm done with classes and work for the week I can put right what once went wrong before streaming on Thursday.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ddegenha posted:

If you watch carefully, you can also see where I managed to screw up one of the quest lines and put a game-breaking bug into effect that keeps the main Far Harbor quest line from completing. The good news is that I found an old save from before that happened, and since I'm done with classes and work for the week I can put right what once went wrong before streaming on Thursday.

Thank gently caress for that. The blank looks on the Farharborians' faces as they waited for Godot to arrive were starting to wear on me.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 191:thx:

It looks like something's about to go down in Far Harbor, but for whatever reason that dog won't hunt. So instead we've got a courser to deal with, and when the mob still won't get properly riled up we might as well go and see about a mutant about some dogs, because who doesn't love a friendly Super Mutant and his puppy pals?

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Thank gently caress for that. The blank looks on the Farharborians' faces as they waited for Godot to arrive were starting to wear on me.

Probably the worst thing about it is that even when you have an idea that there's a bug you don't always know what caused it or what might fix it. I'm going to be extra careful with saves on the playthrough (At the Vim Pop factory now), but it's still going to be a matter of "So this is how it ends... now lets go back to our save in Nuka World" because of how far back the save was.

I do have a couple of things to liven up that first little bit, though, including one of coolest enemies on Far Harbor that we somehow missed.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 192:thx:

The people of Far Harbor are still just standing around, so we try to leave the island and come back to see if that'll fix the problem... we needed more ammo anyway. When it doesn't, there's only one conclusion that we can draw: they have to die. That's right, we're doing the ending supporting the Children of Atom today, because this way we're getting some kind of show out of them.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Live stream is kicking off here and now.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 193:thx:

Now that we've hit the reset button and tried restarting the program to fix the bug with Far Harbor to no avail, we're just going to go ahead and nuke the Nucleus. Of course, first we have to figure out where the launch switch is... and before that we're missing a piece of armor from our Marine Combat Armor set that's only sold there, so it's time for one last purchase before we grant the Children of Atom Division. They're surprisingly upset about it. With all that said and done, now we're headed back to the Commonwealth to prepare for Nuka World!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
It would have been great if you'd nuked Faa Haabaa and all the people where still standing there amongst the rubble.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ultrabindu posted:

It would have been great if you'd nuked Faa Haabaa and all the people where still standing there amongst the rubble.

Or were turned into ghouls like that one character from Fallout 3 who survives if you nuke Megaton.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Yah, Moira, who retains her chirpy optimism even after being turned into a walking tumour.

ultrabindu fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 8, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 194:thx:

Today we're doing some house cleaning and then heading off to find Nuka World. After what happened in Far Harbor it should come as no surprise to anyone that the radio station that's supposed to set the quest marker is broken (Thanks Bethesda) so we're going to have to actually walk into the location before the quest will trigger. As far as that goes... well, let's just say that some of these roads look a LOT alike, okay? Could have happened to anybody.

As a note, we're back on a Wednesday schedule for streaming this week.

ultrabindu posted:

Well, there was Uncle Ken hanging out there in the bar not being the least bit disturbed by all the dead bodies and monsters wandering around. But then again, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat as we'll see when the video showing the proper ending of Far Harbor comes out.

White Coke posted:

Or were turned into ghouls like that one character from Fallout 3 who survives if you nuke Megaton.

ultrabindu posted:

Yah, Moira, who retains her chirpy optimism even after being turned into a walking tumour.

Which, I suppose, is a rather amusing way of ensuring that her quests putting together the Wasteland Survival guide still remain active.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 195:thx:

A bit of a long update today, but the other option was two really weirdly cut updates so here we are. As soon as we show up to the entrance station for Nuka World there's a bunch of Gunners squatting at the entrance. Two minutes later some scruffy guy is trying to convince us to rescue his non-existent friend, but we'd go anyway so we're off on a train ride. The other side is an insane gauntlet of traps, turrets, and ambushes that culminates in an arena fight among some bumper cars... which we'll get to in a later update, because the next one is going to be a flashback to see how Far Harbor should have ended.

Or maybe tomorrow I should do a double update? I'll think about that today.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
You should definitely watch the film version of Harvey. Especially as a look at a different era of film making.
Josephine Hull who played Jimmy Stewart's sister in the film won an Oscar for best supporting actress, one of the only times someone in a comedy film has ever been up for an Oscar.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 196:thx:

Alright, first update in today's double update coming at you. First up, we're going to go ahead and flash back to Far Harbor and see how that whole confrontation with DiMA was supposed to work out. After that we'll go visit the Children of Atom for old times sake, and then take a quick stop over at Briney's Bait and Tackle to see one of the island's hidden denizens. With everything done on the island we can now take Kasumi back to her family, and then wrap up with a quick talk with Nick that... doesn't go very well, actually. But, now we're done here in Far Harbor!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 197:thx:

Our second update today is back in Nuka World, where we've got a gimmick fight involving a water gun and a suit of electrified power armor at the top of the menu. I wish I was kidding about that, but I'm not. But now we're the Overboss of Nuka World, so we might as well take a look around our new kingdom and find our what the real situation is from our new friend Gage. Oh, and there's a character from Fallout 3 wandering around that some people might remember as well.

More Nuka World tonight at roughly the usual time, coming right up.

ultrabindu posted:

You should definitely watch the film version of Harvey. Especially as a look at a different era of film making.
Josephine Hull who played Jimmy Stewart's sister in the film won an Oscar for best supporting actress, one of the only times someone in a comedy film has ever been up for an Oscar.

It is a pretty well known film that would probably be worth watching. Of course, occasionally looks at different eras of film making are a bit disappointing just because some of what makes films revolutionary for their time has become commonplace now. Citizen Kane is probably the prime example of this principle in action, with the result being a movie that seems pretty pedestrian for modern audiences but was a huge deal when it came out.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Okay, stream is about to go live!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 198:thx:

In today's update we're going to go around and meet our three sub-gangs within the park, all of whom have different hats. The Pack want to live free and wild like animals, but as usual don't actually have any idea how animals live. The Operators just want to make money, and are ruthless in their pursuit of cash. And the Disciples... the Disciples all wear gimp masks and decorate with the still-living bodies of their torture victims. All of this leads to an important question. we have to be friends with one of these gangs and we have to screw one of them over in the end. We can decide who to screw over later, but first let's decide who we want to be best friends with. Voting link is here.

After making our introduction, it's time to start exploring the park and bringing it under control First up on the list is Kiddie Kingdom, which should probably be renamed Ghoul Kingdom since the ghouls have long since eaten all the kiddies. But, at least it has rides.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 199:thx:

Today we're continuing our adventures into the Kiddie Ghoul Kingdom with the Fun House, which lives up to its name if that's your thing. After that we have to turn our attention to the shadowy tunnels beneath the park, where we can finally get some answers about the mysterious voice that keeps taunting us at odd intervals. There's also some tragic backstory about the residents of the park, but at this point it's a little bit late to feel bad for them.

Voting for our new best friends among the raiders continues here, and it's pretty tight. And some of you are clearly voting for Preston, as it were.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 200:thx:

Kind of a big deal, today marks our 200th update. Kind of hard to imagine that we've been at this for so long, but I do feel like things are drawing to a close. Today we're finishing off the Ghoul Kiddie Kingdom with some skulking and a confrontation with an insane ghoul magician, who gives us a top hat after we talk him down. Then, because nothing can possibly go wrong in doing so, we go ahead and hand an amusement park over to a bunch of torture-happy psychopaths. That's pretty much the meat of it, although there's a few things to get prepped for next update, when we're going to go explore the Galactic Zone.

Poll on gang friendship remains up here, and might well stay up for another week or more depending on how next Wednesday's stream goes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I forget, which ones are the pretty ones?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

bman in 2288 posted:

I forget, which ones are the pretty ones?

That's The Operators.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 201:thx:

Today we're back in Nuka World, and after a little visit to the Kiddie Kingdom it's off to Galactic World. A pack of idiots have managed to turn on the automated security systems, which for some reason are armed with military grade equipment, and to reboot the system we're going to have to go from ride to ride grabbing special glowing red circuit boards. We only need 20, but getting them all nets us some custom Nuka Cola power armor so you'd better believe we're going on a robot slaughterfest.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

nvm

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 15, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 202:thx:

Our scrounging continues, and once we've dealt with the immediate area it's time to explore the rides. We're starting with an abandoned rollercoaster, but since the power's out we have to go backstage through the maintenance areas. Gage feels like we need to have a heart to heart along the way, and some of the rides include full military hardware that's switched on to "kill all humans" so you can kind of see why this place is mostly undisturbed.

Still have the vote up here, and I think we're close to being rid of Gage for a while so maybe next week we'll see about a new companion.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 203:thx:

Today we're knocking out the last of the rollercoaster area and then moving into a new brand of insanity with a Vault Tec model vault that's supposed to represent future colonies on other planets. It's as nuts as it sounds, and it wouldn't be Vault Tec if there weren't some experiments going on. The twist in this one is that the customers weren't the only ones being experimented on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Getting the stream started now.

• Locked thread