Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Hello everybody, and welcome back. This time we’re in for something completely different:

That’s right, I haven’t yet gotten into the next RPG I was planning (Terranigma) and so I decided to do something a bit different since nobody seems to have tackled it yet. Fallout 4 is the third entry into Bethesda’s take on the series (after Fallout 3 and New Vegas) and personally my favorite. I’d go into plot details but there’s very little you can actually reveal about this game without verging into spoiler territory. Let it suffice to say that you play a lone figure who is on a very personal quest that will have wide ranging effects on the world around you. Fallout 4 has tons of quests, multiple factions you can ally yourself with, and a variety of unusual NPCs that you can travel with and even romance. For a given value of romance.

The setting is an alt-future version of America which maintained a 1950s aesthetic while advancing into the 21st century, culminating in a nuclear holocaust that left most of the United States a radioactive wasteland full of mutant animals and remnants of humanity seeking to scrape out a bare existence with little hope of rebuilding a new society. Previous games have been set in the Oregon/California area, Nevada, and Washington D.C. Fallout 4 is set around Boston and makes some significant changes to the basic formula in regards to weapons, armor, factions, and enemies. I’ve seen most of it, and now I’m planning to show it off to you all as a fairly relaxing LP experience.

How are you going to do this?

Fallout 4 allows for a lot of user input, so the plan is to record about once a week (possibly more depending on circumstances) and allow as much viewer input as possible. You’ll choose the appearance of our character, some generalities about our build, which companions to take along, and what quests to do for each play session. I’ll contribute my knowledge of the game to make this all work so that I can show the maximum amount of the game possible and provide an entertaining experience. At the end of each play session I’ll ask for input as to which quests I should tackle next and which companion to take with me. In the end you’ll choose which faction I align with for the ending, although if there’s enough demand I might show off the others.

What are you using to record?

I’ve been playing on the PS4, so I’ll be using the onboard system to stream and then cutting the stream up into approximately half-hour episodes to post throughout the week. I’m using the PS4 camera/microphone accessory as that seems to do a decent job of picking up audio. Not planning on including picture in a picture, but I suppose it could happen. This is my first video LP so there may be a bit of a learning curve.

Anything else we should know?

I’ll be recording along with my wife, who has watched me play through this game far too many times and is usually better than I am about spotting loot. We have four cats, and you may hear us speaking to them at various points in the video. Especially when they climb in front of the TV so that I can’t see what I’m doing. I’m going to be moving in the next month, but I’ll try to build a backlog close to when I move so that there’s no interruption in the LP. Also, spoiler policy: Don’t. There are plenty of people who haven’t seen this game and might be experiencing it for the first time. “Do Quest X, it’s really awesome and funny!” is fine. “Do Quest X, it’s really tragic because Person Y dies and you get this super awesome item that will help you beat Secret Boss Z!” is not. If you have something specific you want to address, PM me. Lore talk about previous games is always fine. Oh, and occasionally we swear. A lot. It’s that kind of game. Don’t let your parrot or child watch, or they might learn some new words.

Thread Contributions
Canine Mayhem

Ultrabindu's Art Gallery

The Life and Times of Deacon: A Play in Three Acts

The Adventures of Deacon Part 2: Railroad Boogaloo

How MacCready Does

Piper and the Minigun: Greatest Hits Reel

Table of Contents
Intro
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6
Update 7
Update 8
Update 9
Update 10
Update 11
Update 12
Update 13
Update 14
Update 15
Update 16
Update 17
Update 18
Update 19
Update 20
Update 21
Update 22
Update 23
Update 24
Update 25
Update 26
Update 27
Update 28
Update 29
Update 30
Update 31
Update 32
Update 33
Update 34
Update 35
Update 36
Update 37
Update 38
Update 39
Update 40
Update 41
Update 42
Update 43
Update 44
Update 45
Update 46
Update 47
Update 48
Update 49
Update 50
Update 51
Update 52
Update 53
Update 54
Update 55
Update 56
Update 57
Update 58
Update 59
Update 60
Update 61
Update 62
Update 63
Update 64
Update 65
Update 66
Update 67
Update 68
Update 69
Update 70
Update 71
Update 72
Update 73
Update 74
Update 75
Update 76
Update 77
Update 78
Update 79
Update 80
Update 81
Update 82
Update 83
Update 84
Update 85
Update 86
Update 87
Update 88
Update 89
Update 90
Update 91
Update 92
Update 93
Update 94
Update 95
Update 96
Update 97
Update 98
Update 99
Update 100
Update 101
Update 102
Update 103
Update 104
Update 105
Update 106
Update 107
Update 108
Update 109
Update 110
Update 111
Update 112
Update 113
Update 114
Update 115
Update 116
Update 117
Update 118
Update 119
Update 120
Update 121
Update 122
Update 123
Update 124
Update 125
Update 126
Update 127
Update 128
Update 129
Update 130
Update 131
Update 132
Update 133
Update 134
Update 135
Update 136
Update 137
Update 138
Update 139
Update 140
Update 141
Update 142
Update 143
Update 144
Update 145
Update 146
Update 147
Update 148
Update 149
Update 150
Update 151
Update 152
Update 153
Update 154
Update 155
Update 156
Update 157
Update 158
Update 159
Update 160
Update 161
Update 162
Update 163
Update 164
Update 165
Update 166
Update 167
Update 168
Update 169
Update 170
Update 171
Update 172
Update 173
Update 174
Update 175
Update 176
Update 177
Update 178
Update 179
Update 180
Update 181
Update 182
Update 183
Update 184
Update 185
Update 186
Update 187
Update 188
Update 189
Update 190
Update 191
Update 192
Update 193
Update 194
Update 195
Update 196
Update 197
Update 198
Update 199
Update 200
Update 201
Update 202
Update 203
Update 204
Update 205
Update 206
Update 207
Update 208
Update 209
Update 210
Update 211
Update 212
Update 213
Update 214
Update 215
Update 216
Update 217
Update 218
Update 219

Survival Mode Updates

Bonus Update 1
Bonus Update 2
Bonus Update 3
Bonus Update 4
Bonus Update 5

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Combined with original opening.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 3, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 1: Intro

Intro Video

And so, that’s the beginning of FO4. Tonight ended up running a bit longer than I anticipated, but I really wanted to get to the exit to the vault where we get a chance to remake our character. Because of that option, there are some very important questions for the thread:

1.) At the risk of sounding like Professor Oak, are we a boy or a girl?

2.) What is our name? There’s a list of names that Codsworth recognizes here: Fallout Recognized Names.

3.) What do we look like? Feel free to include a picture, and I’ll try to match it.

4.) What should our general character type be? I’ll use this to determine starting stats and guide my style a bit, although gameplay requirements will still have a say.

5.) How do you all feel about the Idiot Savant perk? For those who aren’t familiar, the perk occasionally triggers based on how low your intelligence is and provides either triple or quintuple experience depending on how high you level it. The downside is that every time it triggers, there’s a ridiculous idiotic laugh track sound. If we use it, however, level ups will come noticeably faster.

Suggestions will be taken until Friday evening, at which point they’ll be put into action. As always, what I find most amusing/interesting may be selected over what’s most popular but I’ll certainly take the perspective of the thread into account. Blind obedience to mass voting is how we get characters named Dongs or Boaty McBoatface.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
So, a couple quick notes that I figured I should emphasize:

1.) You can't change the voice acting, so no matter what if we go with a guy it's going to sound like Brian Delaney or Courteny Taylor if we go with a female character. I can't help but think that might cause some cognitive dissonance with a few ideas.

2.) I'd forgotten how awful Idiot Savant sounds. Just going to nix that one outright.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
And we're streaming now - https://www.twitch.tv/ddegenha. Stream over! Thanks for coming out!

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 3, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I'll be taking the video from the stream and chopping it up for people to watch over the next few days. In the mean time, we have some options available. What should we do in terms of quests?

1.) Returning the Favor - Go to USAF Satellite Station Olivia to get a locket back
2.) Help Ten Pines Bluff - This leads to a dungeon area full of raiders.
3.) There's an old quarry that someone is trying to rehabilitate, which we could help out with.
4.) Wander around various nearby areas and loot them for atmospheric detail and equipment
5.) Head on to Diamond City to follow the main quest line

Most popular items get attended to first - if something doesn't get handled with this one, it'll be added to the list for next week.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 1:thx:

As promised, the first portion of the stream is up. There's a few lessons I'm learning as I go along, like getting better at editing and how to time dialogue and commentary. I think I'll definitely have to stop manually saving, since that breaks things up a bit and Fallout 4 is actually pretty good with how it manages autosaves. I might also have a solution for the echo that's being caused by the microphone picking up the audio from the TV that I'll test today while playing through the latest DLC, but overall it's a fun learning experience.

Tax Refund posted:

I want to vote for "all of them", which won't really change the vote totals. But since I don't really know Fallout 4, I'm watching through the stream footage before I vote.

And in watching through the footage, I heard you talk about the "Duck and Cover" drills. I won't talk about any Fallout 4 plot until it shows up in the chopped-up videos (unless you give it your OK, that is), but I assume talking about the "Duck and Cover" drills will be fine. Apparently there was a lot more sense to them than most people think. If you're within a mile or two of ground zero, yes, the whole building's probably going to be destroyed... but beyond a couple of miles, there's actually going to be a whole lot of buildings left standing after the blast wave hits them. BUT those buildings are going to lose ALL their windows. If you're standing up when the blast wave hits, you're going to be hit, and very likely killed, by lots of flying glass. But the blast wave will take 10 to 30 seconds to reach you -- and if you've ducked under your desk during that time, then as long as the building's still standing, you're probably going to end up uninjured. And you don't get irradiated by being near a nuclear blast and surviving it; you get irradiated by staying in the area afterwards, and breathing in dust that contains radioactive isotopes.

Long story short, those "Duck and Cover" drills would actually have saved a lot of lives if America had every experienced a nuclear attack.

That's actually pretty cool to hear broken down like that. As someone who started school near the end of the Cold War I only had a brief experience with those kinds of things. As far as voting, just go for whatever sounds the most interesting. If I have time I'll hit them all, but the purpose of voting is to see what falls off if necessary.

Mage_Boy posted:

The Quarry is a cool quest, if it's the one I'm thinking of. So I vote Quarry

Not sure what you're thinking of, but it's the one that involves swimming and sets us up for a future return to the area.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 3, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 2:thx:

Second video coming right up. Confirmed the fix for the echo, but the downside is that I lose situational awareness because I can't hear anything in the game. Oh well, I could probably use a handicap anyway. Speaking of which, should I crank up the difficulty a little bit?

As of right now it looks like we have

2 for Returning the Favor - Go to USAF Satellite Station Olivia to get a locket back
0 for helping Ten Pines Bluff - This leads to a dungeon area full of raiders.
1 for exploring an old quarry that someone is trying to rehabilitate, which we could help out with.
0 for wandering around various nearby areas and loot them for atmospheric detail and equipment (although I might just do this anyway)
and 0 for heading on to Diamond City to follow the main quest line

Might stream tomorrow night since it's a long weekend and it'll build a bit of a buffer, so we'll see what things look like at that point. I think I'll have to find some kind of way to do an actual poll for these, especially once I start asking which companion to bring along. I think that'll start to be a thing when we have a few more options.

RickVoid posted:

I have to say, I groaned very loudly when you revealed that you were going with Archer for the character, but after the suit popped up, the three beers got slammed, Codsworth was treated appropriately ("Mother! He thinks he's People!"), and you went with boosting his luck ("Things... just kind of work out for me") this is actually off to a great start.

I do look forward to seeing Kat deal with survival mode, if you actually end up doing it, though.

It's also affecting our perk choices, although later in the night alcohol also had a vote. Which is actually kind of appropriate.

RickVoid posted:

Caps Stuff

- Jet
- People never exposed to FEV turning into Ghouls

You know, considering that I did an LP of Fallout 2 I should have remembered that it wasn't bottle caps, because I remember going down that well and pulling out the bag of useless bottle caps. For some reason my mind just skipped over and categorized money as bottle caps after playing Fallout 3 and 4. I'll have to make a note to talk about Jet a little bit and possibly ghouls on the next stream.

Doc Morbid posted:

In New Vegas, caps are the main currency because the NCR doesn't have much of a hold on the Mojave (at least until my character shows up :911:) and their gold reserves were blown up by the Brotherhood of Steel, tanking the value of the NCR dollar. The Legion also has their own currency.

:goonsay:

That was actually a nice detail in New Vegas, but I think I usually ended up just exchanging all of my extraneous currency into one type to make it easier to buy things.

Tax Refund posted:

I'll vote for Returning the Favor, then. And if we can vote for two or more, I'd place my second vote on searching for atmospheric detail and loot. There's a lot of atmosphere in Bethesda games, and locations can often tell their own mini-story (as we saw with that cave behind the Red Rocket garage). Everyone who plays through Fallout 4 will see the main quest, but some of the side areas with their own story to tell are easy to miss, and I think the LP will be richer if we get to see some of those easily-missed side areas.

There's a couple of neat spots like that right next to Abernathy Farm, actually... maybe I'll take a walk over there after turning in their quest.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ultrabindu posted:

Is it worth getting the season pass for this game?

I think that's pretty much an unqualified yes. The season pass is $50 now and gets you six DLCs, but two of those are purely additional build items and one of them is mostly build items with a handful of quests attached. The three DLCs with a decent amount of story content (Automatron, Far Harbor, and Nuka World) cost $55 if you purchase them separately so you already come out ahead getting the season pass.

And for the purposes of the LP I do have all the season pass and the relevant quests will be options once they unlock.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 3:thx:

After much labor yesterday I now have no labor to perform on Labor Day. Accordingly we'll be streaming this evening, probably around 7:30 central to get an early start. From the looks of things we're definitely hitting Satellite Station Olivia first, then the quarry, doing some exploring, and then heading off toward Diamond City. Nobody seems to want to help Ten Pines Bluff, but I'll stop in anyway and at least get the next marker on the quest and add it to the voting for next week.

No consensus on raising the difficulty, but it might be worth reconsidering after this stream.

Roobanguy posted:

If you like the settlement aspect of the game alot I can see getting the season pass, but as someone who didn't, I'm glad I didn't spend the $50 dollars they are asking for it now. Automatron is neat but has only about an hour of quest content, far harbor is cool, but Nukaworld is downright disappointing if you're like me and have a hard time playing an evil character.

I picked it up right before the first DLC came out, the day before they raised the price the first time, so my opinion might be a bit biased. I think it was around $30 back then, so it turned out to be a bargain.

RickVoid posted:

I couldn't wait for the edited videos, so I watched the archived stream. The drunken rambling near the end was pretty great, hope we get more of that!

So, funny story... my wife had apparently forgotten the last half hour of the stream and after seeing this we went back to rewatch that part. She spent a considerable portion of it with her face covered. That said, preparation for every stream is going to involve the preparation of mixed drinks so drunken rambling is entirely on the table.

GunnerJ posted:

Re: "Why is he Irish," colonial British America was a bit more "multinational" than you might think. By then it wasn't an English colony specifically, after all. There were a lot of Irish and Scottish (and Scots-Irish) settlers, Germans too, and Dutch from New Amsterdam. Irish-descended colonists could be attracted to the patriot cause because they had a number of good historical reasons to hate the poo poo out of the British government (British oppression in Ireland was probably a great motivator to emigrate to the colonies in the first place). Port towns like Boston were especially diverse just by virtue of having so many people coming and going from all over. The participants in the Boston Tea Party reflected this diversity of colonial British America. There were English, Scottish, French, African, Portuguese, and, yes, Irish participants.

Don't you mean Old New York? I guess that we just tend to think of the Irish more in context of the larger migrations in the 19th century as that's when the "No Irish Allowed" sentiment really peaked, so it was a bit jarring to hear the sudden switch to an Irish accent in the middle of that tour audio. I suppose when you get down to it we didn't really expect the game to have been that correct since we were in something called "The Museum of Freedom." Then again, that's far from the most out of place Irish accent we're going to encounter in this game.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

No strong opinions about difficulty, but please get at least a few varied weapons that you name and strategically cherish forever.

Weapon names sounds like a fun thing to add in. I usually get at least one long range, one mid/short range, and one heavy assault weapon along with anything else that catches my eye. There's a few unique and interesting weapons, that's for sure.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

double nine posted:

so would you mind adding those update links to the table of contents? I almost didn't notice there were 3 videos and assumed the lp was still under construction

You caught me in the act of doing so. Fixed!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

GunnerJ posted:

Not sure what you mean by "Old New York," but the bit about New Amsterdam was just one example of colonial diversity, although not really that relevant to Boston (afaik). I basically just meant that the descendants of Dutch colonists were still kicking around after it became New York. We usually do think about Irish in America as a 19th century thing because that's when the big wave of immigration began, so I definitely get why it's unexpected to depict an original Tea Partier with an Irish accent. I'm a professional history nerd and so it's just my nature to chime in about this stuff, no reproach intended. And given the level of quality in that museum, yeah it's likely this was "accidental accuracy" on the part of either the fictional designers of the museum or the actual designers of the game. :v:

They Might Be Giants reference from the song Constantinople - "Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam." I'm a semi-professional history nerd (BA and working on an MA) and my wife has an MA but her focus is mostly on temperance movements and the prohibition era. So by all means, chime away! We'll certainly enjoy it.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're live and Streaming now, come on out for shenanigans.

Stream over! Thanks for coming out, those of you who made it. Looks like Twitch was having some problems, but there will be videos coming. We made it most of the way to Diamond City (but aren't those last few feet the hard part) so there's a few more choices. Won't be streaming again until the weekend, and I'll put a poll up to see what we should do a bit later this week.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 6, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 4:thx:

A little bit more in Concord and then back to Sanctuary. You might be able to tell that I'm not the biggest into Settlement Mode, and that's even before the audio started acting up while we were using it. Possibly a data issue - we tried doing the last stream in a slightly lower resolution to see if that solved the problem. In the meantime we have one more video from the first stream, which will go up tomorrow along with poll about what we should do next.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

As a They Might Be Giants history nerd, I'd just like to point out that their hit "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is actually a cover song. The original was by a 50's/60's Canadian vocal group called The Four Lads. :eng101:

No idea about Canada's opinion about the Crown's taxation of tea imports or how they handle mass-murdering Raiders though.

Am I the only person who would love to see a Fallout game set in Canada? Nuka Cola Maple, here I come! Raiders with hockey sticks and various other Canadian stereotypes, plus people who say aboot. Not sure what Quebec would have turned into..

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 5:thx:

Final update of the stream, making Sanctuary livable and getting a quest for next time. You can KIND of tell that we're at the end of the night here. What can I say, night person sounded like a good idea at the time. Monday night's stream will start being put up tomorrow along with a poll to prioritize questing.

White Coke posted:

Supermutants. They're like regular Supermutants but they scream at you in French.

Are you listening, Chris Avellone? I will pay you cash money for this.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ultrabindu posted:

Do you think they were murdering those dogs?

Five dogs in quick succession, sounds suspicious to me.

Had to think back a bit to figure out exactly what you might have been talking about... the narrative got a bit compressed, this was all over the course of a few years with a couple breaks. That said, the dogs in question usually made it to be around 2-3 years old so it's still an uncommonly swift attrition rate.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 6:thx:

First video of the second stream, and we made a couple of tweaks to try and improve the quality. For the next few videos the echo from dialogue in the game is gone, but the trade off was that I couldn't hear ambient sound. Results were mixed, but it seems like we've finally got a full solution for streaming on Saturday (broke down and bought headsets). I'm also interested to hear what people think of the actual video quality for these next few in comparison to the previous updates.

For storyline purposes, in this stream we didn't quite make it to Diamond City but a few new options did open up. You can set our priorities for the next stream by voting here.

Options are:

Go back to the Corvega Assembly Plant (finish helping Ten Pines Bluff)
Respond to the distress call at the Cambridge Police Station
Explore the Super Duper Mart
Check out a settlement and junk yard near the Drive-In
Just keep right on rolling to Diamond City

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 7:thx:

Mostly exploration and some quest turn in for this one, as well as advancing the Ten Pines Bluff quest to find out what they actually want us to do. We end up in Thicket Excavations, which is actually a two part event that you start with the quest that's about to get finished. At least we're getting paid.

ultrabindu posted:

Honestly I want you to show off as much of the game as possible. Park the main quest for now and go exploring and do as many sidequests as you can.

I wouldn't worry too much, since I'd still be advancing the main quest only as far as the voting option and then faffing about to do other things with the rest of the stream time. The main quest in this one is distributed enough that you actually have to explore a good bit to finish it.

Tax Refund posted:

This is my vote too, but the first thing should be to drop everything and respond to the distress call first because it does seem like the kind of thing Archer would do. I haven't read the show, only read about it, but it seems like despite his sarcasm and general dickishness, he's a pretty competent guy who takes his job seriously. And if so, then responding to an official police-radio distress call seems like the kind of thing that would take priority over whatever else he's doing at the moment.

As a general rule, if you ever find yourself asking "What would Sterling Archer do in this situation?" then it's a pretty good sign that things have gone so far south that you're now headed north again. This LP is the only exception. I think what I always took away from Archer is that out of the entire cast he's one of the few who's a halfway decent human being, albeit an incredibly flawed one. There might be something to what you're saying about the character being someone who would at least look into a distress call.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

I would say that they should have sent a poet, but evidently they did.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 8:thx:

Conclusion of Part 1 of Thicket Excavations and we stumble on a bit of spycraft. Also, ghouls, and then a detour into a drive in. We're kind of zigging back and forth on the way to Diamond City at this point, but I think a lot of you are fine with that.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 3, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're streaming now! Stream over, thanks for everybody who came out. We didn't quite make Diamond City, but I think it worked out pretty well. The mayhem level definitely kicked up once I acquired some decent weapons. Next time we'll definitely get to Diamond City!

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 11, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 9:thx:

This episode features a high amount of rodents both in game and in conversation, a creative approach to mine clearing, and the question "What would Archer do in this situation?" answered by "Shoot someone in the face." At this point we're just kind of aimlessly zigzagging towards Diamond City and exploring the wasteland in search of ammunition and equipment. This episode can also be described as "The Gerbil Episode."

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 10:thx:

Last video where I couldn't hear anything, with all the fun that comes along with that. We're into the more built up towns north of Boston at this point so its into house to house fighting, which doesn't get any better when some of the raiders have tactical nukes. Also some named ghouls, which I think actually went pretty well, and we end by picking up a distress signal from up ahead with only one 10mm round left. No worries.

ultrabindu posted:

Are you concerned that you may have married into a family of animal murderers? Or Rodent-mancers?

Life on the farm, red in tooth and claw. We haven't even talked about cows yet.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Btw there is definitely some sort of trap negation that comes after one kills you. I don't know if it's tied to difficulty or game mode or what, but I've seen other people's runs hit that very same diner landmine and thereafter obsessively search the same spot for now nonexistent dangers. It is quite a jerkily hidden trap, though.

Also rodentia facts: Gerbils are fragile little buggers. They're kind of cute, but they're suicidal mayfly soap bubbles.
Also also: Capybara are like 3 feet high and 6 feet long. Should have replaced the school gerbil with one of those. Waaay sturdier.

I almost wonder if there's several variants of the diner that load randomly. I swear I've seen a bottlecap mine sitting on the counter there before as well and it wasn't here. I like my solution of chucking explosives in there just to be certain.

Speaking of gerbils, for 18 years of my life I believed that my pet gerbil had escaped and run away when my family was moving. My parents didn't want to tell me it'd gotten squished by a suitcase while halfway out from under the cage. I'm not sure if they'd have noticed the capybara replacement, but I think it'd have been really hard to get the capybara into the hamster ball.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Cathode Raymond posted:

:colbert:

Are those named ghouls from your intro neighborhood? You know, from prewar times? I never noticed myself because I don't pay close attention to tutorial stages but I think I remember reading that some place.

I took a quick look and that's what people say. There are also references to them being the customers who are listed in the drug dealer's computer way back in the first update.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 11:thx:

It's ghouls all the way down as we make our way into Cambridge to answer the distress call. There's a lot of terrain to use to our advantage and some ammo, as well as mines all over the place. I'll just go ahead and say that this week we only got two quests done, but they're pretty long ones so it'll all work out. The new audio setup brings back a tiny bit of the echo from earlier, but it's much reduced and now we can hear. You might be able to pick up the difference as far as situational awareness goes watching this video.

Tax Refund posted:

If that's the case, that actually brings up a decent possible explanation for ghouls. Human + extreme radiation = death (normally), BUT human + certain drugs + extreme radiation = ghoul. And because most people on those drugs are taking them addictively, most ghouls go feral due to drug withdrawal interactions of some kind (maybe the drug doesn't work on ghoul biology, or maybe the dealers who survived the bombs just don't like selling to ghouls). But some people were taking drugs not because they were addicted, but because it was prescription medication -- and those people don't go through a nasty withdrawal and thus don't turn feral. Hence why there are non-feral ghouls in Fallout 3 -- and while we haven't seen any in Fallout 4 yet, when Preston Garvey talked about ghouls, he said that some of them were "just... people", which implies that we'll meet some non-feral ghouls at some future point.

Won't be too long before we meat some non-feral ghouls and this is an interesting idea, but there are a few cases that seem to suggest it might not be 100% true. Then again, it's possible that 21st century America in the Fallout continuum had much more widespread use of drugs as part of the general social issues in that time period. I'll make a note of this for when we do find one of the more difficult cases for this to apply to.

White Coke posted:

In Fallout 3 there was a ghoul scientist who you helped to make Ultra Jet, a much more powerful form of the drug because the normal stuff isn't powerful enough to work on ghouls so this is as good a theory as any for why people become ghouls beyond random chance.

Gotta love that the game's lore is open enough to allow this kind of theorizing.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 12:thx:

And now we're off on our adventure with Danse, after a considerable amount of looting a police station. Mostly it's him absorbing incoming fire and us doing the important bits that actually allow us to progress, but at least he makes a nice mobile shield. After tomorrow's video we'll have an important choice to make.

Tax Refund posted:

I watched your stream (after the fact, as I wasn't able to get on while it was live), and the echo is completely manageable. If it's a choice between that small amount of echo and watching you play with no situational awareness, I'd choose the echo in a heartbeat. In the second stream, I remember a moment when there was gunfire going on outside and Dogmeat was yelping in pain, and you were searching the room completely oblivious to it all. (Since, of course, you couldn't hear any of it). That was... frustrating to watch, even though I knew why it was going on. It's much more fun for me to watch when you're able to actually hear what's going on, so I'm glad you have a decent audio solution now.

I think we've pretty well settled on what we used this time as the final audio setup. I'm sorry about that particular bit in the second stream since the only thing I don't like about Dog Meat is when he starts crying because he's hurt. That's usually what makes me go with a human companion, because their suffering is a bit more bearable.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Dogmeat's the best companion :3:

All the other choices like this, or dislike that. Power armor? Danse likes it! Stealing? Danse doesn't like it. Lock picking? Danse-you know what Danse? Why don't you find your own dog and have your own adventures if you have so many opinions?

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Plus you can invest in all the useful Lone Wanderer feat stuff and not have to hear the same handful of voice clips over and over (barks notwithstanding). That said some companions are pretty interesting for specific quests and I'm pretty sure you get some pal-flavored perks for maxing out their favorability. I'd hate to have to try them all out long enough to figure a best-choice story path though.

I think after this weekend's stream I'll start asking for input on companions to decide who should go with us. You definitely get some nice perks for maxing out friendship with certain companions, but they aren't necessary. The best one had a bug that got fixed, so they're all just nice little bonuses now. Planning on heading to Diamond City since by the end of last night's stream we'd pretty much exhausted the easily accessible early game content before that first big city.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 13:thx:

I might have, just possibly, maybe a little bit... uh.. kind of set Danse on fire. Only around the edges. But what good is power armor if it can't protect you from a little thing like that? Next update is going to be the Corvega Assembly Plant, but in the meantime we build a chair for an old woman and then pump her full of drugs. Oh, and make some much needed weapon improvements.

Now, a bit of talk about Factions.

There are four groups that you can join in Fallout 4, and so far we've got a pretty solid idea about three of them: The Minutemen, the Brotherhood of Steel, and the Institute. Right now we're not going to be bound to any of them if we work with them, but eventually a choice will have to be made. The Minutemen will happily work with anybody, but every one of the other three factions can't stand each other. In today's update, Danse made us an offer - should we Join the Brotherhood of Steel? It means lots of orders and missions and military discipline (that we can potentially flout) as well as potentially some sweet gear.

I'll also go ahead and give a minor spoiler - Preston Garvey is going to want us to become General of the Minutemen. Should we take him up on his offer? This will mean helping out settlements in trouble and spreading our banner all over the Commonwealth. The good news is that in case we'll be at least nominally in charge.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 14:thx:

Today we're storming the Corvega Assembly Plant, and seeing what a difference proper equipment can make. This is one of the biggest early game challenges, but if you're properly prepared and aggressive enough it's still possible. We're looking at all kinds of raiders, and a link back to Preston Harvey and his crew.

Today turned out to be a bit late because I was on a jury and it went pretty late, but tomorrow's update will be when I wake up. Planning on streaming tomorrow night and getting us to Diamond City as well as a few other odds and ends.

Looks like there's no real consensus at this point about whether we should join the Brotherhood or lead the Minutemen, and we'll handle the Institute in due course. I suppose I'll make the final decision based on any input that comes in today and tomorrow before streaming.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 15:thx:

I suppose that waiting until Something Awful got out from under that DDOS attack works as an alternative to putting this up when I woke up this morning - I'm thinking of shifting toward streaming on Saturday and then putting up the videos Monday through Friday, although there'll be at least one week with two streams in the near future to build up a bit of a backlog.

This update concludes last week's stream and the clearing out of the Corvega Assembly Plant, although we might be back here at some point. It's got Raider Love, an accidental anti-climactic "boss" fight, and a magic dog who walks on air. I don't know what else you could ask for.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

dd and ddwife, name your weapons and do more drugs please. Combat drugs own and your guns are your friends who don't bark and interrupt your looting all the time.

We'll probably have to do some drugs just for the fun of showing what they do - and good point about the gun names. I think that's something we'll talk about a bit as far as what weapons actually need names and what they should be.

AradoBalanga posted:

Jurassic Park Story

That is amazing, and I wish that they'd put it to film in some way, shape, or form.

Based on what I'm hearing and what I've been thinking we'll probably want to at least dabble in each group, but the best stuff to show off the Brotherhood of Steel won't actually be available for a bit so we can hold off on them. We might take over the Minute Men at some point just to have a few missions, but I think that can wait too as I still have to turn in the Corvega quest. Then again, Preston Garvey might not give me a choice if I go back and talk to him. He's... persistent.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 3, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're getting ready to stream!

Stream completed. It was all going so well until the end there... and now we need new drinking glasses. Do you want a shopping trip? Because this is how you get shopping trips.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 18, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 16:thx:

We’re opening up this week’s set of episodes by disappointing Preston Garvey and starting toward Diamond City, although there’s an unexpected distraction on the way that takes up most of this episode - our first encounter with Super Mutants. Lots of lock-picking excitement and skullduggery in this one.

Skipping ahead a bit, we’ve unlocked a TON of quests by going into Diamond City and as such I’m very interested in your input on what you want to see. Keep these in mind as updates come out. This is what’s on the plate:

Curtain Call - a washed up actor is trapped on top of a tower and needs a rescue. Lots of Super Mutants here.
Special Delivery - We’ve been offered a job by Edward Deegan. This one will take a while to get to, but it’s a multi-part quest.
Out in Left Field - Moe wants us to retrieve some baseball memorabilia, although who knows what he’ll make of it when we get it to him.
Unlikely Valentine - There’s a private dick in hot water, and he needs our help. This is the next story quest.
Road to Freedom - At last we’ll track down and find the mysterious Railroad… by trekking all over Boston. I mean, sure, I COULD skip right to the end but what fun would that be?
Bring a Mutated Fern to Solomon - Supplying the local drug peddled with some herb. Nothing can go wrong here!
Explore the Combat Zone - There’s a raider only club we’ve heard about that we can explore, although this might be a rougher bar than we’d like.
Search for Caps in Walden Pond - Somebody left a secret stash in a place where a man once stayed out in the woods for a couple months and wrote a book.

We’ve also heard a bit about Vault 81, which is evidently nearby.

Broadly speaking we can also break it down to East and West. If we head West we can cover Out in Left Field, Bringing a Mutated Fern, Walden Pond, and Vault 81. East takes us in the direction of Curtain Call, Unlikely Valentine, Road to Freedom, and the Combat Zone.

Next up, we have a choice in companions for the next stream. Available options (in order of acquaintance) right now are:

Dogmeat
Woodhouse Codsworth
Preston Garvey
Paladin Danse
Piper

Vote Here!

Finally, I think we should definitely name our weapons. I’d like to really concentrate on naming weapons that we’re going to use for a while. So with that in mind, what should we call our Sniper Rifle and Combat Rifle? I’d name our 10mm, but there’s actually a far more appropriate pistol that we’re going to acquire.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 17:thx:

At last, Diamond City! Well, there's some random raiders on a boat before we get there along with a few super mutants, but Diamond City. A fruitless search before we start exploring the town. Luckily we're properly dressed for the occasion.

Right now Piper is leading the poll, but I'll keep things open until we record. I've put the poll in the OP and I'll just change the link each week as we change polls. The plan is that whoever wins the poll this week will be removed from next week's poll. Right now I'm surprised to find we might be going East but I won't progress the main quest beyond rescuing Nick if we go that way. Still plenty to do out in that direction, and we'll have to see if the Combat Rifle I picked up helps even the odds.

AradoBalanga posted:

And after all that effort to elude the Super Mutants, you still forgot the Guns & Bullets magazine in the end. Then again, you got your rear end handed to you about several times by them, so I don't blame you for not going back for it. Almost makes me wish for the hilariously busted Chinese Stealth Armor from Fallout 3's Operation Anchorage DLC to appear.

Also, I vote for going East first. As for guns, let's name our Combat Rifle Serpentine and the Sniper Rifle Deadshot.

drat it, I did forget to grab the magazine after all that. We'll have to go back for vengeance at some point.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I hate supermutants. They're big HP sacks with terrible loot and bad dialogue. They are a fairly decent combat challenge though.

And I noticed that each time you got that cap stash under the desk it gave you a different number of caps. I guess most loot container types are some kind of per-session RNG instead of based on the character. I've never actually tried save-scumming for particular drops, but that might be possible if you were hard up for a specific material.

Anyway, East first. I like those missions more. And the sniper could be Wesley Snipes, or possibly REM's Michael Snipe. Combat rifle... hmm... McGuirk. Or maybe Nancy's Boy.

Wesley Snipes, not bad. Nancy's Boy for my co-commentator? Eventually I start to love super mutants as encounters since they're big targets and once we get a better short range weapon they go down fairly easily.

ultrabindu posted:

West then go East

Call the sniper Long Distance Relationship.

I don't know if Long Distance Relationship would fit, but it made me smile.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 18:thx:

Today's episode is mostly just wandering around Diamond City, being a sarcastic jerkass, telling lies, and gathering up quests. Necessary to proceed, but perhaps not the most exciting thing to watch. Loving the suit and the sunglass combination.

I've got today off and Friday, so I may go ahead and stream tonight or tomorrow in order to build a bit of a backlog before I move. Not sure how well streaming would work from a hotel room, since the internet in those is uniformly terrible.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, we're doing this!

And we're done streaming for today - we picked up two companions and pretty much finished everything we can immediately do in the East, as well as getting three Bobbleheads. Next stream I intend to go West, and then we'll see what happens.

So now it's time for the next character poll. Piper is out for this one, so vote on our options here: Next Companion Poll.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 22, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 19:thx:

This time around we're helping a loser radio DJ by fixing a bar fight, because there's nothing that could possibly go wrong with that scenario. Our clean up takes us out a bit west, where we stop to murder some people over paint on the way - not to worry, on the last stream we did end up going East and cleaning up that area so we have a few new companions available. Vote for this weekend's stream here. Nick is temporarily off because we can't freely get him as a companion until we continue the main storyline quest, but he'll be on there in the future. If you're new to the game Cait is a druggie who inexplicably has an Irish accent and Strong is a super mutant.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Some random stream notes for the random fragments I caught:

All cats are Lickers, really.

Valentine owns robones.

I can't unsee Piper as a pre-Jessica Jones version of Krysten Ritter.

Florida is a hellhole, even the pretty bits. So if you find the magazine that gives you flamingos be sure to do up Sanctuary right.

When you've got big enemies hiding in small places, don't forget your sizeable stash of frag grenades. They're your friendship eggs!

Valentine owns so much robones that he's pretty much got an entire DLC dedicated to him. I can see the Piper thing - it'd probably be even more obvious if she weren't wearing that hat. I'm actually using grenades more often than I usually do in this playthrough, so maybe I'll keep it up and get more proficient with them.

We might have to vice up Sanctuary if I find that magazine.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Thesaya posted:

The episode cut off in the middle of rambling storytime with Nancy!

We ended up with a weird time split... either that, or it's a clever trick to make sure you watch Update 20 when I post it tomorrow.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 20:thx:

The conclusion to storytime with Nancy and the conclusion to our quest to save an inexplicably Russian (or maybe just vaguely eastern European) moonshiner and make a DJ cool. Also the tragic demise of one of our drinking glasses - farewell noble vessel, who I received from an event I never wanted to go to and had no use for until we started making Long Islands at home. You were briefly missed, and then replaced for $3.99 at TJ Maxx.

Poll for companions is still open here. We'll be streaming again tomorrow night, but sticking with posting updates during the week. We're going to be moving over the next two weeks and might have patchy internet in the meantime.

Tax Refund posted:

I just started watching the stream (not live, of course), and about 18 minutes in, Nancy comments on a radiation gun that's shown during a loading screen, and how it works in the game. She mentions that it's weird that if the radiation that that gun fires hits a wall or something, the wall isn't irradiated, "which is really, really weird, because radiation doesn't just dissipate like that."

Which has me going, "Okay, then. It's :science: time!"

Yay, :science:! This brings back memories of all the information about nuclear weapons (some of it I'm sure very wrong) that was crammed into the Fallout and Fallout 2 manuals that none the less got me very interested in the subject at the time.

bman in 2288 posted:

After listening to your story about that drink, I had an epiphany: name your pistol 10 Little Monkeys, or 10 Mini Monkeys.

That's actually a pretty good one... might do that until we get a more appropriate pistol later on.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're going to be streaming in a couple of minutes!

Stream complete - we finished all the initial content to the west and picked up a new companion. We'll pick up in a bit once we've moved.. may possibly start streaming on weekdays instead, since it seems as though turnout is better during the week. In the meantime, enjoy the stream and the videos as we put them up.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 25, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, I went back and watched the stream and... uh... if any of you are going to watch that, I'd like to apologize for doing my best impression of Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own right there at the end. I didn't think that the microphone would pick that up, and I was wrong. That part is DEFINITELY getting cut out when I post it on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I caught a collective 5 minutes of the stream before I had to go meet some people. Guess which minutes.

:ohdear: :blush:

Because of the circumstances, the only time I saw a person signed on was at the beginning so I was really hoping the answer would be "the five minutes you spent roaming around in Sanctuary trying to find Codsworth but when I went upstairs and reported this conversation to my wife she said "Oh, so that's who that was." I was flabbergasted that she hadn't told me, but she made the very good point that I was already in a different room and hadn't listened when she said that I should turn off my mike so why would I listen if she told me that somebody had signed on?

Long story short, I think we might shift to doing a weekday stream so that there's more of a chance for people to watch during the actual recording and chime in. There's a slight possibility for a stream on Tuesday night, but that's going to depend on us having everything ready for the movers to come Wednesday morning.

• Locked thread