Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 21:thx:

Mostly a setup update here, building Dogmeat a new house and upgrading our weapons before we scoop up Piper to explore to the east - starting with clearing some Super Mutants out of the Boston Library.

I mentioned before that we finished up the western swing on the last stream, so just in case we get a chance to stream again while moving there's a pertinent question that's about the same - should we go East to find Goodneighbor, perhaps investigate The Silver Shroud, finally talk to Jack Cabot, and perhaps investigate a distress call concerning a Caravan in distress, or do we go West and progress the main storyline, coincidentally opening up the detective we're on the way to rescue in this update as a possible companion?

And, perhaps more importantly, who should we take with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 22:thx:

With all those Super Mutants gone there's still a lot of library to explore. After that we go ahead and clear out the Combat Zone, where we meet our new friend Cait... who Piper already knows. I'm sure there's a story there that's worth hearing.

bman in 2288 posted:

I vote east because we should always take the opportunity to get stronger and be better at making guns.

Better guns is totally a thing we should aim for at the moment, I feel. Unless you already did that last stream. Which I am still sorry I missed.

Good news, then, as things are looking pretty good for a stream tonight before the moving begins in earnest. If so it looks like we go East and, unless there's a radical swing in the vote here, we'll take Cait along with us.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Voted Strong because I wanted to see you have to fit him into your busy and occasionally cramped lifestyle. Unless you'd prefer to romance Curie which I would also support.

And going East clearly has the cooler sidequest options, while the lame ole main story can go forget itself up its own tiny forgotten butt.

One robo-vagina in the sink is one too many.

Tax Refund posted:

Just voted for Cait in the companion poll, but I actually want to vote for "Take Piper on missions where you're going to try a peaceful resolution, and take Cait on missions where you're going to want a violent resolution." Because since you're playing as Archer, the only way to go as far as companions is to romance every female companion possible. I don't know if there are any female Super Mutant or female Ghoul companions in Fallout 4, but if there are, I think Archer would try to sleep with them too. And since that means you'll be needing to raise multiple companions' approval scores to whatever level is needed for romance, it just makes sense to bring either Piper or Cait depending on what kind of missions you're about to do, and whether their best resolution is one that Piper or Cait would approve of more.

And go east, young 200-year-old man.

That would make a certain amount of sense, but it would also bog things down switching companions each time. Luckily Piper and Cait are both super easy to impress since they like us to pick locks.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
After being delayed by BWWs being down a fryer we're getting ready to stream!

The Shroud walks again - and so does a beer making robot. This game gets WEIRD sometimes. Next update for those of you who can't catch the streams coming in the morning.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 28, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 23:thx:

Enough with randomly killing Raiders and rescuing women with inexplicable Irish accents, we've got a detective to save and a whole subway station full of ghouls who are most definitely not feral but who are still assholes in the way. And at the end... a Vault?

bman in 2288 posted:

Oh, loving hell, I missed it again.

I blame food poisoning.

Ouch. Hope you feel better, but the good thing is that since the videos are going up you'll still see it eventually.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 24:thx:

We finally meet Nick Valentine, but he's not exactly what we were expecting. That's only the halfway point, though, as we still have to fight our way past the rest of the vault and then get past Skinny Malone. Also, don't miss the saga of Soup Can Harry. The government can't make him wear pants, no sir!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 25:thx:

We close out the week with a slightly longer video, investigating the quest Curtain Call and fighting our way up and down a skyscraper to rescue an actor in distress. There's a new friend at the end, a sweet new gun that Piper grabs, and a heartfelt conversation. We'll pick up next week with some more action heading west with Codsworth so that we can be properly buttled. Buttlered. Whatever. The point is, we'll have a servant.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Thesaya posted:

Have you guys thought about editing out breathing into mikes and the sometime broken speaker sound from loud talking?
I really like this LP and will follow it anyway, but it gets distracting/screechy at times.
Maybe you could ask people in the tech support fort or something about it?I obviously don't know anything about editing.

We figured out that the main issue was basically the positioning of the mikes and made some changes to fix it in the two streams that are going to be posted next week and the week after. There's still a bit of sound for particularly heavy sighs, but not the constant sound (especially later in the evening) that was taking place immediately after we switched to using headsets instead of the television mounted setup or the broken speaker sound. Part of that whole learning curve thing, but I think we've got most of the kinks worked out at this point.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

AradoBalanga posted:

So, is Strong just going to be hanging out at Trinity Tower until we eventually pick him up or does he automatically get sent to a settlement to live in until the player wants to travel with him?

Pretty much. The lobby of that building is pretty much Strong's place now, but once we actually recruit him he can be sent anywhere that another companion can be sent - even places that would seem really inhospitable to Super Mutants.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 26:thx:

We're back for the first video of the week, starting with some housecleaning and hunting down our butler to tell him that he's going on an adventure. That takes a little while, since the old junkie is surprisingly hard to find. After that we've got some baseball memorabilia to find, because at least we're getting paid for that job. Too bad about all the Mirelurks, though.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 27:thx:

Our journey to the West continues as we go in search of a fern to make some "medicine" for the hippy drug dealer in Diamond City, and we're not the first people he's sent after this particular item either. Once we're clear of that mess it's time to head toward Walden Pond, since evidently the last person who lived there wasn't nearly as non-materialistic as Henry David Thoreau.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 28:thx:

Today we find the one raider on Walden Pond who actually listened to the tour at the gift shop, and then we kill him and his friends and take their money before heading back toward Diamond City to experience the touching story of a man and his brahmin. Which also doesn't end well. At least we make a new friend at Vault 81 and get a new gun, as we as talking our way in to a real rarity: a vault that's been continuously inhabited by its original dwellers since the war. There's got to be a story behind that.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Thesaya posted:

Could you perhaps turn the brightness up at nighttime? It is really hard to see what you are doing.

Also, because I feel like I am complaining with every comment I make, I really do like your LP.

No worries, I appreciate the help and it helps me fine tune things.

ultrabindu posted:

drat I keep missing your streams, that's what I get for living in GMT time zone.

Broccoli and cheese soup is usually very good, what type of cheese did you use? It's usually the cheese that messes up the soup.

So I understand that you can romance the companions in this game, is there any benefit to doing so? Can you romance them all? I know you can't romance Codsworth which is a shame.

I think we're going to move to doing a weeknight stream since people usually have better things to do on the weekend. Maybe a regular Wednesday night stream - right now we're looking at next Wednesday since we've reached our new hometown and are getting our house keys tomorrow. We'll have internet on Friday, but I have no idea when our furniture arrives other than it being no later than the 11th.

I think we did a mix of a cheddar and another cheese - Nancy says havarti and sharp cheddar. The recipe called for cheddar and American cheese so maybe it was an issue of the melting point. After all the work we decided that in the future somebody else can do all the work on the broccoli and cheese soup and we'll just enjoy the results.

Romancing companions is pretty much an option at the very end of the affection tree, so can be a part of getting each Companion's unique perk (although you can just say that you're going to be best friends) - maybe I'll discuss this at some point to give an idea of what each companion gives, but I think that'll wait until we have all or most of the available companions. You can romance multiple companions without any penalty, and if you sleep near a companion you've got a romantic relationship with you'll get a +15% experience boost for the next 12 in game hours.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 29:thx:

Now that we're in we can make nice with the residents of Vault 81, including (and especially) their school teacher by telling the totally true and accurate story about how we fought a deathclaw. There's also a cat that needs rescuing, some treasure to recover under the nearby pond, and one annoying little sprat who gets bitten by molerats. We can exterminate them, sure. How much trouble could a few rats be?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 30:thx:

As usual with Vaults things just get creepier and creepier the further in we go, with a bizarre series of hidden experiments, all kinds of mole rats, a funeral display, and a new robot friend with a fun accent. At the end we've got a moral decision to make, and that moral compass might be a bit off kilter...

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Stream Status Update: So we have a home, we have internet, and we will have a TV and couch to sit on and stream from on Monday. With all that we're aiming for a stream on Wednesday night starting between 7:30 and 8:00 PM Central Time assuming that nothing goes wrong. We've still got four updates in the bank, so those will be posted starting Monday. There might be some weird breaks in these since the last stream didn't go for the normal full length.

Right now the plan is to take Cait through the current quest line and then switch to somebody else. Vote here for our next companion. If we need to advance the story or do a specific quest to bring a companion along and that companion wins, I'll just finish up that quest and grab the new companion.

seaborgium posted:

Pretty sure you missed a safe in the vault 81 secret vault. At least it looked like one in one of the side rooms before you got to Curie.

And please raise your hacking, I love seeing terminals get hacked. The backstories are always amazing. You can always explain it away with Vault-Tec being doofuses and just using password as their password.

Maybe we'll go back and look for the safe, but maybe not. The good news is that I actually boosted the hacking in the next video, so there will be more backstories! A couple more levels and we should be able to pick/hack anything in the game.

Thesaya posted:

Have you considered the robot being French is because of Marie Curie's nationality?

That is the kind of joke a scientist would appreciate, but part of me thinks it's a French Maid thing. Perhaps that's something that would be cleared up if I went back and looked at that terminal...

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 31:thx:

Today we're turning in some quests, picking up Cait, and heading to Goodneighbor. There's some ghouls and super mutants along the way, and the Spray and Pray gets a workout. We get the ol' Goodneighbor welcome and meet our good friend Hancock before getting paid for something we'd already done and picking up our next quest thread... The Silver Shroud!

Vote here for our companion in Wednesday's stream!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Man, I was sure the molequest in Vault 81 was going to be more of a problem for you for some reason. CodsworthWoodhouse being bit a few times aside you really VATSed it through like a champ though.

And Marie Curie is most definitely a Madame Curie the nuclear scientist reference. She doesn't do or say anything maidlike or (thankfully) fetishy.

Here are a few Spray n Pray rename suggestions: The Rain of Fire, DeathFaucet, or 33 and a Third on .45

I had a much harder time with that quest the first time I played, but once you realize what you're getting into and have some firepower it's not that bad. It's still virtually impossible to not get bitten, but it's less fatal now. Relevant to our character Curie's accent always makes me think of Framboise, Barry's almost fiance from Archer. I'll try those rename suggestions on our test audience and see if any of them stick!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 32:thx:

Because of the last stream being a weird length this particular episode ended up being a bit longer than usual - there's a lot of people to meet and things to do in Goodneighbor, and we haven't even picked up all of the available quests at this point. We also meet an old acquaintance and then have to go to extraordinary lengths to save him from a quirk in the game. After that it's off to raid Hubris Comics for costume supplies, including getting a distinct upgrade for Cait.

Stream Update: I now have a couch, TV, and working internet so we're a go for streaming tomorrow night starting between 7:30 and 8:00 PM Central Time. We'll have to see how the internet connection performs here, but it's the fastest available in the area so the question is going to be if I have to tweak upload settings.

Companion vote like is here

ultrabindu posted:

I made an attempt at a thing

You did not attempt a thing, you succeeded. That is amazing, and going on the wall of honor.

bman in 2288 posted:

Considering that this is Archer we're talking about, Spray and Pray needs to be renamed Do You NOT Count Bullets?

You magnificent bastard.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 33:thx:

Now that we have a costume it's time to fully assume the roll of the Silver Shroud, which mostly consists of running around exacting vigilante justice while speaking in exaggerated comic book dialogue. I can live with that. Along the way we run into a familiar face from Fallout 3, who's now available to be our companion. I'm telling you, only in Goodneighbor could we get away with this stuff.

Speaking of companions, today is the final chance to vote here before we stream tonight starting around 7:30 PM Central. If you're following me on Twitch don't be surprised if at some point before that I run a short test stream.

bman in 2288 posted:

I also suggest upgrading your guns more. I have this nagging feeling that you're going to need it soon.

We'll have to see what's available with our ranks in Gun Nut and about picking up some Science for better sights. There's a balance between when upgrades are available because of perk requirements to craft specific improvements and how much you can improve your damage using perks compared to when enemies start spawning at higher levels. A lot of times just putting a point into the perk that corresponds to your favorite weapon type is enough to keep you competitive, since a 20% increase in damage is pretty large.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, we're getting ready to stream now

Stream over - we finished the Shroud quest, opened up a few more options for later, and did the quest line to enable to Hancock as a companion. Some time with Cait, and some with Strong - should we do a few more quests with Strong, or should we go for a new companion since he isn't exactly compatible?

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 13, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 34:thx:

With this episode we're closing out the short pre-move stream, which means the beginning of last night's stream will go up tomorrow. Kendra's mouth has been writing checks that her entire gang's asses can't cash, and we're in the neighborhood to go in search of a beer-brewing robot for another quest. Unfortunately there's a crowded bunch of city streets full of super mutants and gunners, with a nest of raiders at the end who have no idea what they're sitting on top of.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 35:thx:

And now we've got the first part of this week's stream up, starting with our rescue of Buddy. It... doesn't go well initially, but we get him there in the end. We'll have to see if he can still be taught more recipes living in his new home. After that we've got to meet with Hancock (as the Shroud) and then go north to murder a couple of bands of thugs (again as the Shroud). But first we have to get there, and there's a lot of ground to cover.

There was some pixelization as a result of slow internet, so we're going to have to adjust the stream resolution a bit to compensate - the reason we didn't in midstream was that it seemed likely that I'd lose download access to what we had already completed, so I figured that something was better than nothing.

Next stream will be on Tuesday around 7:30 PM, and you can vote on our next companion here

A couple important questions - Strong was only our companion for part of the stream. Should we ditch him immediately and take the winner of the new poll, or keep him for about an hour and then take the new winner?

We're also getting to the point where we've got a backlog of quests. Are you all most interested in the Vault Tech DLC, The Mechanist DLC, the Main Quest, Investigating Cabot House, or Drug Hunting for Fred?

AradoBalanga posted:

The power armor + Silver Shroud outfit reminded me of this:

Yes, that's the severed head of The Shadow slapped onto a robot body following his death. The Shadow comics went to some odd places in the 80s.

That would fit perfectly with the Fallout 4 aesthetic and general weirdness.

seaborgium posted:

There was an aluminum canister at about 9 minutes, is there a reason you didn't grab it? I thought aluminum was really useful.

Aluminum is really useful, so it might have been a case of weight versus benefit. Aluminum canisters weigh about 3 pounds and provide about the same amount of aluminum as surgery trays, which weigh half a pound. I was running close to the edge on weight so I probably decided not to take the canister because I didn't want to get overburdened.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 36:thx:

In this update we're dealing with the second gang of thugs that Sinjin has sent after us, with a slight detour (twice) to rescue a caravan that's being attacked by an army of robots. The only survivor is also a robot, our new companion Ada who is part of the first DLC for Fallout 4. We can get to that later, because once we finish off the gang it turns out are good friend Kent has been kidnapped and we need to ride to his rescue. Tune in for the thrilling conclusion of the Silver Shroud tomorrow!

By which I mean tomorrow morning, as we'll stream tomorrow evening. Voting is still open for companions here but I think it's pretty well set by this point.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 37:thx:

The thrilling conclusion to the adventures of the Silver Shroud, with minor difficulties in getting the enemies to play their roles in the drama properly. After a couple of attempts we get the good ending, which means that Kent remains alive and will give us occasional upgrades to our Silver Shroud armor. After that we close out with Hancock, and then it's time to head out and prepare for a less above ground quest.

Final chance to vote here before we stream tonight. I've got a work thing in the evening, but don't expect it to be a significant delay from the normal 7:30-8:00 PM Central start time.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, after a slight delay we are getting ready to stream now

Stream complete! Thanks everybody for coming out.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 19, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 38:thx:

This time around we've got a job with Bobby No-Nose, who comes by her name honest. It might be the only thing place that word can be used to describe her, but you do what you've got to do. She's planning a big heist, but before we can start there's a few little odds and ends to put into place. Once we get down to business there's more than a few Mirelurks to put into place. And Strong approves of none of this skulduggery, other than the parts that lead to murder.

In fact, I might leave him out of the next couple of polls since he's a bit of a downer. We'll see, but I'll have something up by Friday so that we can get voting started.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 39:thx:

With this update we're concluding our underground adventures, where everything's as much on the up and up as you'd expect. The upside is that we're going to end up with a new friend, but the downside is that there's still a bunch of feral ghouls and mirelurks between us and the exit. The power armor certainly helps, and we cut an interesting figure as we fight through the tunnels.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 40:thx:

With this we're in to the beginning of this week's stream, back with Cait and going in search of some funky drugs at Hallucigen Drugs. Seems like we're doing an awful lot of retrieval missions for junkies. Anyway, unfortunately we're not the only ones here. The Gunners have already gotten in and taken an unexpected sample. We'll have to see if it's made them any better as fighters, but right now all signs are pointing to "No."

Planning to stream next Wednesday, so vote for companions here. We're running dry on short things to do by the end of this stream, so if you have anything you'd particularly like to see go ahead and pipe up. Voting for certain companions will also be considered as endorsing their quest line.

Thesaya posted:

To clarify things, the odd dark corner is fine, it is the nighttime that was really hard to see.
Also, is there a reason you didn't have Bobbi explain herself? I would have loved to know her reasoning. Do you only get one of the dialogue options?

It really depends on the conversation. There are a few cases where conversation will just loop back around until you choose the "go forward" option, but for the most part you do only get one dialogue option. This might have been a case where Bobbi explaining herself would have looped back around, or it might have moved us forward to a different set of dialogue options.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Tax Refund posted:

That Super Mutant at about 13 minutes in was sneaking up on you "with cat-like tread", wasn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1r_KUjRRxM&t=6s

Aww man, now I feel rude for just shooting him out of hand and not letting him finish the entire number.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update41:thx:

Today we're finishing up our search at Hallucigen and then heading over to visit Jack Cabot to finally see about that job offer. A courier with an important package hasn't showed up (where have we heard that before?) and we're supposed to find out what happened to the poor stiff. The catch is that they were already on the far north end of the map, so we've got a lot of ground to cover before we can put this one to bed. There's Rust Devils and Raiders and all kinds of trouble between us and our destination, so we'd better get started.

Still on track for a stream on Wednesday, possibly about half an hour than previous streams. Voting is still open [url=https://goo.gl/QHWzNO]here on our next companion.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

With Radroach Tread

I think the best parts of this in my mind are the super mutants doing some of the choreography from the play and that they're evidently continuing to sing and perform even as some of them are being shot. Truly dedicated to the stage. As much as I love the songs from the Pirates of Penzance I really need to actually get to a production at some point.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 42:thx:

Today we finish our trip north in search of this mysterious package, stopping briefly to snark at the guards who can literally point to where the raiders who stole the package are hiding. Combined with a brief fight this makes Cait decide to open up to us about her past, and things get really dark really quickly. Back at Cabot house there's more work for us involving chasing down Jack's wayward sister, but this jazz singer who's got information on her might be even more interesting...

I appreciate the voting that's going on here about who we should take on the next stream, which is still on schedule for tomorrow night.

Thesaya posted:

You didn't take the bourbon he put on the table! Weren't you able to take that despite being offered?

I didn't actually notice him putting it there.. something about sitting down in that chair always messes me up. When we eventually get back here I'll have to see if it's still there.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 43:thx:

Running out of ways to procrastinate it's time to go ahead and rescue Jack's sister. She's holed up with a crazy cult that we've already met once before, but she isn't exactly grateful for the rescue. The next step in this quest line has a reward that we're going to want to save for a bit later, so instead of going back to Jack we've got a paying job in Goodneighbor for White Chapel Charlie. It's the kind of thing pretty much custom-made to make Cait happy: three locked warehouses full of ghoul gangsters, where we'll be breaking and entering the entire time.

Stay on the lookout for a stream tonight, and remember that voting is still open here for our companion.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We are getting ready to stream now!

Stream complete! Made a lot of story progress, and then we went kind of Cthulhu there at the end.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 27, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 44:thx:

To close out the video from last week's stream we're going on a little adventure at the Pickman Gallery, which you might recall as the source of a creepy letter we found on some dead raiders way back when we finally started heading to Diamond City. There's some paranoid raiders outside, and as for the gallery... I'm a bit worried about the artist, to be honest. We're on a mission to clean up a gang of raiders and help the owner of the house, but when it's all said and done I'm not sure we were the good guys here. On the upside, Cait's finally comfortable enough with us to talk about her real problem and give us a quest to go in search of a hidden Vault that can clean up any addict, no matter how hooked they are.

Looks like the mid-week streams are working out pretty well, so we'll keep it up and shoot for next Wednesday again. I'll have a poll up tomorrow along with the first video from this week's stream.

I'm kind of curious what the thought is on DLC - is there a certain point where we should just take a break from the main story and do the DLC? Or should it be treated as post-game content? Right now we've unlocked three DLCs (Automatron, Far Harbor, and the Vault-Tec Workshop) with one more to go. Automatron and the Vault-Tec Workshop both take place in the Commonwealth, but Far Harbor and the final DLC take us outside into special areas. Ideally I'd like to keep going on each DLC once it's started until we finish, rather than going back and forth.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Since I missed most of it again. I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but the Dunwich Borers isn't the only notable Lovecraft reference in Fallout4. I don't think you've done it this run so I won't go into detail. Pretty different story setup in the game of course, but it's definitely another pretty well-regarded story.

Also I actually managed to make a real twitch account! I did have to spend a couple of hours figuring out that it wouldn't work at all with my usual browser for some ridiculously arcane reason. Hooray technology! Now I just have to catch up with the last video in time to watch the new videos as you post them...

Hooray, and welcome! I didn't mention the other reference and for some reason my mind is blanking, but if possible I'd definitely like to see it... unless it's the conclusion to the Cabot quest line, in which case we'll definitely see it.

seaborgium posted:

That little corner with a bucket for the triggerman to use as a latrine? The best part was the plunger on the shelf next to it.

And the little cat poster was of "Mr. Pebbles, the first cat in space." Maybe the dude really liked cats, and for some reason they're not around anymore.

I did not even see the plunger, but that's awesome. The good news is that cats are around, just kind of hard to find. You can trap cats using the Wasteland Workshop DLC content and have them running around your settlements, so they're definitely running around out in the wasteland.

Thesaya posted:

The picture you couldn't make out was a kitten. Looked like an old postcard someone had framed.

And I just remembered that there's actually a story behind all of the cat pictures you can find in Fallout 4, and the artist who painted them. It's part of the Far Harbor DLC.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 45:thx:

So we're finally going back and touching on the main quest, basically so that we can get Nick as a permanent companion. Luckily he's got a lead on someone who matches our description from inside Vault 111, and who was even seen with a child in the past: a guy named Kellogg. Now we just have to track him down through a wasteland full of mutants and mole rats and mongrels. Oh my. Luckily we're accompanied on this trip by our faithful dog and our robot sidekick.

Nick's hanging out with us until the beginning of next stream (Wednesday again), so vote on his replacement here.

Thesaya posted:

I am sorry darlings but you made me literally facepalm. That is not Art Noveau. Art Noveu is inspired by nature, flowery and watercolours.
Those pictures were more like Expressionism. You know, like Edward Munch.

Oh, and I can't remember if this was mentioned before but that mission is a quite clear reference to the story Pickman's Model by HP Lovecraft. It is quite short and worth a read if you haven't already.

Edit; saw you mentioned it in the stream description. My bad.

Sadly, my long ago art history teacher was an artist first and a historian barely - much more apt to talk about brush strokes and colors than to actually connect artistic movements and place them in sequence. But I can definitely see the Edward Munch description.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

And on the subject of cats- wasn't there an early farming settlement (Tenpines Bluff maybe?) that had a bunch of cats wandering around and where the NPC trading mysteriously let you buy cat meat?

I don't know that it's a settlement, but I have heard that there's a shack like that around somewhere in the northwest quadrant of the game map. I don't think we've seen it on this playthrough.

bman in 2288 posted:

I just had an epiphany.

Send Preston somewhere else. Where he can't bother you.

Tempting, but then I might forget where I sent him if we ever decided to use him as a companion. Although I suppose if we went into his quest line a bit, that does involve opening up an alternative location where he'd be easy to find...

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 46:thx:

This week we're starting out by tracking Kellogg down to his lair, an old military base called Fort Hagen. There's a few more unexpected surprises along the way, and at the end of the road the building is covered in security turrets with no obvious entrance. Kellogg's waiting for us at the bottom of the basement behind wave after wave of synths, confirming once and for all that the Institute is behind the whole thing. It's also a good thing that no door or computer can stop us now, because we're cracking this place open like an egg.

Voting is still open here for our next companion, and we'll be streaming again on Wednesday.

Truly a moment that deserves to be captured for posterity... although you misspelled scent.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 47:thx:

In today's update we finally come face to face with Kellogg, the man responsible for pretty much everything bad that's happened to us. Is there a response too extreme when faced with such a villain? You be the judge. When it's all said and done we go back out into the sunlight, only to find that everything has changed while we were inside...

Voting continues here, and stream tomorrow.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 48:thx:

Kellogg's dead, and with him our only lead to finding the wee baby Shaunmus. Luckily, when we visit her after doing some inventory maintenance in Sanctuary Piper has an idea and Nick knows someone who can help us literally pick Kellogg's brain. So we're off to see the good Doctor Amari to prepare for a journey into the mind... which will be tomorrow's extra long update.

In the meantime, look for an early-ish (around 7:30 PM Central) stream tonight and vote here for our next companion. Last time I looked we had a tie, so your vote counts.

Thesaya posted:

I miss the facepalm about art. Episode 46 made me facepalm for a whole other reason, especially as a lesbian. I do not want those images in my head! :cripes:

Feel free to bring up robo-vaginas if you make it to the stream tonight. It'd even be topical, considering that we're talking Archer here.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
We're about to start streaming!

Stream complete! The U.S.S. Constitution has a new home and we're finishing the Cabot House quest line next time.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 3, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 49:thx:

Today we're on a journey through Kellogg's memories, which go back a surprisingly long way and also show that we have a lot in common... which is all the more reason to be glad he's dead, all things considered. The result is a lead on getting into the Institute, but that's going to take us far south to an even more radioactive wasteland called "The Glowing Sea" so we'll put that off for now. Instead, we're heading to Greentop Nursery since that's a timed quest. In return for our consideration they send us to the Dunwhich Borers, a not at all ominous name that I'm sure in no way hides secret horrors beneath the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 50:thx:

Hard to believe we've put up 50 updates already... today it's another long one, but we wanted to close out the Dunwich Borers in this episode. There's a gang of surprisingly safety-conscious raiders to deal with, and Nick refuses to wear a hard hat. The raiders are bad enough, but there are worse things in the deeps of the mine - visions of the past, forgotten altars, and religious artifacts of forgotten gods are all waiting for us before we can step back into the light of day and forget this place.

Voting is open for our next companion here, and we'll stream next week.

Thesaya posted:

BORAX AND SUGAR!

bman in 2288 posted:

No, I have to worry about my cat. She has bad ideas sometimes.

That's pretty much why we put the sugar mix outside the house near the ant nest rather than keeping it open inside, although you might be able to do something like cut slits in the top of a plastic lid so that the ants can go in and out but a larger animal can't get at it.

seaborgium posted:

Please, for the love of all things holy and good on this earth, eat chips when you're not recording.

Really should be better about this, but a couple hours in along with alcohol and you do end up with the munchies... although maybe the change to Twitch to allow you to retrieve your own videos will allow for short breaks? Trying to get between 2.5 and 2.75 hours of gaming in a three hour span is a bit hard, but if the limit of three hours is broken it might be reasonable to do a short break to take care of those things.

• Locked thread