Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Girl
Kat
Punky (pig-tails, obviously dyed hair, etc)
Stealthy, Knuckledusters and Knives, Shotgun for situations you can't punch or stab your way out of. Engage Maximum Sarcasm.

I love how dedicated Fallout is to "Vault-Tec are Assholes". Anyone who got assigned to a Vault inevitably got screwed over, and as evidenced from the opening sequence (with the Sales Rep getting turned away from the Vault), not even their employees are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have to say, I groaned very loudly when you revealed that you were going with Archer for the character, but after the suit popped up, the three beers got slammed, Codsworth was treated appropriately ("Mother! He thinks he's People!"), and you went with boosting his luck ("Things... just kind of work out for me") this is actually off to a great start.

I do look forward to seeing Kat deal with survival mode, if you actually end up doing it, though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Doubleposting because I'm a bad person.

Since you mentioned Caps being a thing on both ends of the US in the Fallout world, I wanted to spend a little time on Lore Chat.

Caps as currency was instituted by the Water Merchants, who operated out of a town called The Hub in wasteland California. Caps had an equivalent worth related to water (one cap equaled a certain amount), and the caps weren't necessarily old Nuka Cola bottle caps, these caps were "minted" by the Water Merchants (which makes sense, you don't want just anybody to be able to introduce a bunch more coins out of nowhere to your currency system).

While it would make a little bit of sense for areas immediately east of California to also adopt a Bottle Cap currency system (presuming that they have had contact and trade with The Hub and therefore the Water Merchants), it makes ZERO sense for the East Coast to be using the exact same system; No one from the capital wasteland has visited the west or vice versa (well, with the exception of a Faction of the Brotherhood of Steel, who also have no reason to be using a Cap Based Economy (they use Scrip!)), for a multitude of reasons (Big rear end Mountain Range for one, Caesar's Legion is also a good reason). Plus, while the Capital Wastes (and the East Coast in general) could have stumbled across a similar system themselves, there is no big controlling faction in the East like there is in the West that would institute such a thing. Well, that's actually a lie, but it would be spoilers to post who they are AND they keep to themselves for the most part anyway so I feel safe in excluding them.

The reason why we have Bottle Caps as currency in the East is because it's the system Fallout 1 and 2 used, and why bother inviting more Grognardy complaints than Bethesda was already getting? I personally wish they had used Pull Tabs as currency in Fallout 3/4 (it would have been a nice reference to the pile of 500 pull tabs from Nuka Cola cans you could find in Fallout Tactics, that were completely worthless), and that Nuke Cola was therefore in cans out East, but c'est la vie. Fallout 3/4 commited far worse crimes in the "Why the gently caress is this here" department:

- Jet
- People never exposed to FEV turning into Ghouls

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's clearly been far too long since I've played through Fallout 2 if I couldn't remember that you use NCR bucks instead of Caps. This really does make reverting to Caps in 3 and 4 look drat stupid.

I also wasn't aware that Sawyer had changed his position regarding Ghouls being "What unmodified FEV does to some people who were also irradiated" to "Radiation just does this sometimes, guys!" The later does fit with Fallout's 50's Pulp Sci-Fi aesthetic though, so I guess I'm willing to let it go.

There is zero excuse for Jet, though.

I couldn't wait for the edited videos, so I watched the archived stream. The drunken rambling near the end was pretty great, hope we get more of that!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The best way to remember how to handle the three main types of radiation is Pocket, Throw, and Swallow. That is, Alpha is stopped by clothes so you can stick the source in your pocket and be fine. Beta can't, so when confronted with a source of Beta your best bet is to get it the hell away from you, hence Throw. And if you've been confronted by a source of Gamma you're most likely already hosed so you may as well Swallow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tax Refund posted:

* That's un-ionized, not union-ized. Although given chlorine's tendency to form a "collective" with other chlorine atoms and turn into a molecule, you could argue for either reading. :-) The fact that chlorine molecules are also toxic in their "collective" state is an interesting part of this analogy, at least if you've ever had up-close-and-personal contact with the kind of union that won't let you plug a power cord into a socket because that's the job of an electrician (and you have to fill out a work request and wait for one to show up).

I'm really glad I scanned that wall'o'science because this is a fantastic burn and I love everything about it.

Tax Refund posted:

Third thing I want to say is completely unrelated to :science:. I noticed in the latest stream that you have Archer passing up all kinds of fedoras that enemies had been wearing because they're not in perfect condition: they're either worn, or battered — or worse, some of them are actually trilbies, which are not fedoras at all. But I took a quick look at a Fallout 4 wiki (just on the "hats" page since I don't want to spoil myself on story) and saw that there doesn't seem to be any item called plain "Fedora" in the game. There's an item called "Yellow Fedora", but that wouldn't fit very well with the gray suit you have him wearing. I do think that a Battered Fedora would be a cool look for the character — and you could probably justify it. It's not worn out, it's just got that comfortable, lived-in look. It's up to you, of course, but I'd enjoy seeing you add a fedora to the gray suit and sunglasses.

Not sure why people are trying to put Archer in a hat. He doesn't wear one. (Outside of Trucker hat, when situationally appropriate)

• Locked thread