Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The episode cut off in the middle of rambling storytime with Nancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Have you guys thought about editing out breathing into mikes and the sometime broken speaker sound from loud talking?
I really like this LP and will follow it anyway, but it gets distracting/screechy at times.
Maybe you could ask people in the tech support fort or something about it?I obviously don't know anything about editing.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

We figured out that the main issue was basically the positioning of the mikes and made some changes to fix it in the two streams that are going to be posted next week and the week after. There's still a bit of sound for particularly heavy sighs, but not the constant sound (especially later in the evening) that was taking place immediately after we switched to using headsets instead of the television mounted setup or the broken speaker sound. Part of that whole learning curve thing, but I think we've got most of the kinks worked out at this point.

I am looking forward to that then, and will continue to enjoy the LP until then.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Could you perhaps turn the brightness up at nighttime? It is really hard to see what you are doing.

Also, because I feel like I am complaining with every comment I make, I really do like your LP.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Have you considered the robot being French is because of Marie Curie's nationality?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Our alcohol stores at the moment makes me happy. Hopefully, this will keep us from soberness for a long time.

(Also, I really need to watch Archer. I only know the show from internet quotations and I am starting to feel embarrassed of my lack of actual knowledge.)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
To clarify things, the odd dark corner is fine, it is the nighttime that was really hard to see.
Also, is there a reason you didn't have Bobbi explain herself? I would have loved to know her reasoning. Do you only get one of the dialogue options?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You didn't take the bourbon he put on the table! Weren't you able to take that despite being offered?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The picture you couldn't make out was a kitten. Looked like an old postcard someone had framed.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am sorry darlings but you made me literally facepalm. That is not Art Noveau. Art Noveu is inspired by nature, flowery and watercolours.
Those pictures were more like Expressionism. You know, like Edward Munch.

Oh, and I can't remember if this was mentioned before but that mission is a quite clear reference to the story Pickman's Model by HP Lovecraft. It is quite short and worth a read if you haven't already.

Edit; saw you mentioned it in the stream description. My bad.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I miss the facepalm about art. Episode 46 made me facepalm for a whole other reason, especially as a lesbian. I do not want those images in my head! :cripes:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

Feel free to bring up robo-vaginas if you make it to the stream tonight. It'd even be topical, considering that we're talking Archer here.

Haha, I would but your streams are at like four in the morning for me.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
BORAX AND SUGAR!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well, since you liked Pickmans model and this being another Lovecraft reference, here's The Dunwich Horror.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
That college story was disappointing. I was hoping for them ending up ditching their boyfriends for each other or something like that.

(It's the gay agenda after all)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I like the little pause Nancy makes before announcing story time, as if deciding whether or not to include the prefix "rambling" to it and deciding not to.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
When you go back to Cabot house, remember to raid it for booze. There was some on their dining room table, the aforementioned bottle in the front parlour and possibly more.

About cannons, when visiting Älvsborgs fästning, a fortress on an island outside of Gothenburg Sweden as a kid, the tour guide showed us a cannon ball from a Danish ship that was embedded in the inner wall in the mess hall. It had come from like a km or more away, penetrated the outer wall, which was thick stone, taken the leg off a soldier and was halfway into the wall. Cannons are kind of impressive.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

Noted, if I go back there. And that is a really great story about that cannon ball. I think one of the most interesting things about Europe is how much of their history is still there for everybody to see. Nancy's got an aunt who is living over there, so maybe we'll have to visit next year to enjoy some of that first hand.

She's got a Swedish aunt? Oooor are you talking about Europe like it's one big country?

My favourite interaction with Jehovas was the time I didn't even know what I did until later. I mean, usually the multicoloured hair, piercings and weird clothes aren't enough to deter them but this time they didn't even bother giving me a pamphlet. It wasn't until five minutes later I realised I was wearing a tshirt saying "I like girls, in a gay way". I guess together with the rest of my look it was enough to make them not even try.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
http://www.khaoskomix.com/shop/en/13-t-shirt-men-in-a-gay-way.html

Well, here's your shirt then! Male version of mine. ;)

edit; A sandwich is bread with something on top of it. Nancy is wrong.

Editedit; I am pretty sure the band you are talking about is Apocalyptica, Nancy. They're Finnish, and they're even more awesome live.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 16, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Art is usually graded by effort not talent, so you getting that A isn't that odd. I am a bit confused by your painting though, didn't your teacher have you sketch in pencil or charcoal before painting? I mean, I usually do background then sketch on top of that but I've been an artist for quite a while so it is not so odd not using that technique, but just letting the kids paint without instructing properly first is bad teaching.
Unless you did sketch and then it turned out bad anyway of course, that is something that I do still. Why I like acrylics, you can always paint over it again.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Regarding the Hark! A Vagrant shirt Nancy mentioned at the start at update 64; I own two shirts from her. One is the picture of a victorian couple with the caption "I am excited for someone to invent the tshirt", the other is that very Marie and Pierre Curie tshirt.
I am just that nerdy I suppose.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 27, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You know, hearing my name in a video makes me feel kind of special. Also kudos to you for pronouncing my username right Dave, almost noone does at the first try. :golfclap:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Hey, I have a German last name that always gets mispronounced too!

Also, I remember trying to make my sleep deprived brain keep up with the conversations going on and failing like half the time.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, a suggestion, when you answer people in the stream, if you quote them first it would really help for those of us who watch on youtube later.

Like, "Thesaya said; I am an artist and a lesbian, I am so special, blablabla!" after which you respond whatever, probably something like "Shut up Saya you pretentious girl."

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

I'll try to be better about that, it probably would help a bit. And I would never respond with that!

Haha, well I would not say something in that vein in the first place so that's fine. Just the first thing that popped into my head for an example.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I'm back at update 73 and Nancy, come on, stop making excuses and embrace your sadism. It is fun when other people get hurt. There is a Swedish saying; "Skadeglädje är den enda sanna glädjen", which literally translates to "Schadenfreude is the only true joy", and those are words to live by.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
It is not my fault that your language have to use a loan word to describe feeling joy at others' misfortune!

Oh, and I am using the word schadenfreude because that is your loan word, but the saying about it being the only true joy is all Swedish.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

I'm not surprised to hear that, considering that your culture took a look at cod and thought "You know what this needs? Some lye. That'll make this better."

Also surströmming. Ferrmented herring. It is sometimes eaten with a clothespin on the nose, the smell is so atrocious. Apparently it tastes good despite the smell but even when I still ate fish I wasn't willing to try it, especially since I didn't even like sill, (pickled herring,) to start with.

And Nancy. Nancy, Nancy, Nancy... We all know that you are good at schadenfreude, that is not the issue. What you need to work on is embracing it. There is nothing wrong with enjoying other people's' misery, as long as you ask if they're OK once you've finished laughing.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As someone who has grown up with real trees, we usually carried them home on our shoulders or on a plastic sled. (4-8 blocks, like 1.5 km at most.) Now, I understand that you are US car dependent people, but do you realise that Christmas trees are usually wrapped in plastic mesh and thus does not scratch up your car at all?

Also, tip, saw off the bottom of the tree and then cut a cross in it to help it absorb water. sugar cube or aspirin in the water might help a tiny bit but in general it is bullshit. Just make sure to not let the tree run out of water and it'll be fine.

Oh and lights, remember, you don't really need lights towards the side/sides that is against the wall.

Oh, and another thing, Glad Lucia Guys!

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 14, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am back at update 82, (really should try to watch these when they come out but sometimes I feel like different kinds of LPs you know,) and just wanted to give my two cents about the book/films thing. Fantastic Beasts and The Hobbit really aren't comparable in my opinion, since they are very different kinds of books. Now, I haven't read Fantastic Beasts, but it seems to be a fictional bestiary more than a novel.
I definitely agree about the Hobbit though. I honestly haven't watched it because I don't like being disappointed, I do however plan to watch the fan-edit at some point. I just never seem to get around to it.

Edit; at episode 83, a very minor thing about vegans. some vegans have a holier than thou attitude, not a lot. It's a case of a vocal minority. It's just a pet peeve of mine, since I know several vegans and never seen them be preachy, hell, I've been to a barbecue party hosted by vegans and the only problem meat eaters faced was that they had to grill their stuff separately due to the cross contamination issue. What I have seen a lot of though is people complaining or joking about vegans being preachy. But as I said, minor thing, pet peeve, and I in no way disagree with Nancy on the actual topic.

Edit2, update 86; You just got into a romantic relationship and Cait keeps bothering you about resting for the night. :wiggle:
But you just won't take the hint will you? :colbert: Poor Cait. You should invest in a double bed to make it up to her. Make her feel special before she realises you are loving her and everyone else who is hot and willing.

Edit3, update 87; I have had a bunny who gnawed off the bottom branches of the Christmas tree (luckily he couldn't reach the ones with ornaments on them,) and a dog who loved to drink out of the foot of it because, hey, novelty! Neither ever got sick from it. I wouldn't worry too much.
Also, you have reached the point where you are actually saying dog in Swedish by pronouncing hound weirdly. (hund)

Edit4, update 88; as your resident Swede I can tell you that they are speaking Norwegian. Which is amusing since it looks like an industrial fishing boat and that is a huge industry in Norway. I'd like to imagine they just went wildly off course.
Oh and we do look mostly alike, that is not a bad thing to say. Finns look a bit more slavic than other Nords but that's all. And the dude said Åh nei, not oh nein. So, meaning is the same, slightly different word. ...I am starting to wish I would have been there for the stream for this.

Oh and now you called me out! You got the name right Nancy, don't worry. When I made it up I was too young to realise that I should have used an i instead of a y for the sound I wanted, I was like 10.
Things they have said so far; Du vil angre angripa oss: You will regret attacking us. (the grammar is really off for this one btw, although it might be right in Norwegian. Doubt it though.) Åh nei/nei: Oh no/no. Du dräpte honom!: You killed him!

If you ever go to Gothenburg Sweden I would love to meet you.
And Finnish is finno-ugric, and it's super weird and one of the hardest languages to learn.

Oh, and English is a Germanic language, the main one actually, so of course they're similar. ;) Scandinavian languages, (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Faroese,) are northern Germanic languages.

Oh, and calling languages accents isn't really polite Nancy, just so you know.

Japanese have so many distinctions for rank and social groups it's not even funny. Like, the slightest change in relationship has a different form of adress.

Oh, and I am female. I thought me talking about being a lesbian would have been a clear enough hint ;)

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 23, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 89:thx:

Today we're starting out by returning some severely overdue library books and then continuing to join up with the Brotherhood of Steel for fun, profit, and free vertibird rides. Otherwise they're kind of jerks, so we also spend most of our time making fun of them and stealing their leader's booze. You might remember Maxson if you've played Fallout 3, where he wasn't a, as somebody described him, "lumberjack hipster techno-nazi" but was instead just a creepy child.

Glad you could come by, and a very Merry Boozemas to you as well.

I think having the author directly involved makes a big difference to how organic the expansion feels. It could also have been just a difference in quality of production. I'm looking forward to seeing more in the Fantastic Beasts series, but if they were coming out with a series based on The Silmarillion that would have to be one HELL of a trailer to get me to show up. And there's no wrong way to enjoy an LP, we're just glad people are.

I think we have the misfortune of knowing a VERY preachy vegan who's terrible at using logic to defend his positions and generally starts attacking people as being monsters for consuming flesh when he can't win arguments with reason. Probably colors our view just a bit - which, relevant to today's update, when we get to the part about vegans the entire point of what we were saying is that you can't tell anything about the content of a person's character based on their veganism, just the contents of their stomach.

It's going to have to be a California King by the time we're all said and done, so if there was an option to build a giant bed I'd do it and let Cait wonder why it's so big for a while.

It's possible that we get more Swedish as each evening goes on. Speaking of hunds, Swedish Vallhunds are among the most adorable things I have ever seen. Completely unrelated, but as we're talking about Swedish and hunds came into the picture that came into my mind.

That might be the case, but I don't imagine they were that heavily armed when they came so they've been very busy. And now I'm wondering if I missed a terminal on the boat that would have explained more of what was going on.

*hundar. That is how to pluralise the word in Swedish. :keke:

Also, in case you didn't realise, I edited my post continuously while watching so there is a lot of language talk added to it now. Seems like I have one more episode to watch now!

Watching it now. About giving yourself shots, think about diabetics and heroin addicts. they both manage it just fine. If it is just a subcutaneous shot I don't think it would be too complicated.

Oh, and as a vegetarian, the only meat I would eat is human for the single reason that a human being is able to give consent.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 23, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Most of the risks of cannibalism comes from eating the brain. As long as you leave that alone it's pretty safe.
Human is by the way the only meat I would eat. They are capable of giving consent.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

There is a song/poem I love that is apparently just for you, almost exactly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeDLzTObXFY

That is the cutest thing. :allears:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 94:thx:
It was actually pretty cool when I got a chance to really listen to it. Or groovy? Groovy seems like the appropriate word.

I had a moment of realising exactly how odd and morbid I am when I thought about how I reacted to that song. On the other hand, I was the one who drew guillotines in the margins of my note books at eight after learning about the French revolution and I have kept going in the same vein since so I do know how I am. It was just a brief moment of introspection.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Nancy, I'm sorry if I'm bursting your bubble, but I honestly can't think of a single odd family member. Or an instance where our family could be labelled as unhappy. Closest thing I can think of is when my mum died but that also led to me, my brother and father growing very much closer.

Well, there is the fact that my father's mother never got or wanted to understand my depression and she was the one person I never came out to. I would have if I'd had a long term girlfriend but that didn't happen before she died. Still, I don't feel that that is a really horrid thing.

Edit; me, my dad and brother are all still hosed up people in our own ways. I am just saying that as a family, we're pretty drat golden. We talk about all the poo poo as well as the good stuff and also respect each other for who we are. And I am seriously grateful for that and them.

Editedit; I really want you to put Curie in a fancy dress.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

Glad to hear that you do have a happy family and that you have that support. And you know, we might put Curie in a fancy dress at some point where we don't have to worry about her survival. I'm not sure which one, but we can keep an eye out in suitcases and the like. I just don't know what would work for her.

Well when you leave her at Sanctuary and you put her skirt on Cait (I really think you should do that,) you can put her in the fanciest thing you found on your travels. ;)

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Trick to Something Awful is not to venture outside of the Let's Play subforum. That is what I do.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, the person who keeps voting for minutemen? It's me. Remember what I said about Skadeglädje/schadenfreude? Yeah, that.

Oh, and in Sweden the alcohol abuse problem was solved with systembolaget

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am looking forward to your misery then. :keke:

And I am so happy you put that dress on Curie. The second I saw it I was mentally urging you to put it on her. It's perfect.
Also, Nancy, the cream dress is perfect for Curie not just for the classiness but the very fact that when she goes shanking she will look badass with blood all over it.

Also also, are you going to show the fanart you got?

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...I want to send you a recipe for proper Swedish meatballs. Our Christmas ones had half ground moose, half ground beef in them and were easy as hell.

I would not call meatballs made in a pressure cooker Swedish.

• Locked thread