Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Re: "Why is he Irish," colonial British America was a bit more "multinational" than you might think. By then it wasn't an English colony specifically, after all. There were a lot of Irish and Scottish (and Scots-Irish) settlers, Germans too, and Dutch from New Amsterdam. Irish-descended colonists could be attracted to the patriot cause because they had a number of good historical reasons to hate the poo poo out of the British government (British oppression in Ireland was probably a great motivator to emigrate to the colonies in the first place). Port towns like Boston were especially diverse just by virtue of having so many people coming and going from all over. The participants in the Boston Tea Party reflected this diversity of colonial British America. There were English, Scottish, French, African, Portuguese, and, yes, Irish participants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ddegenha posted:

Don't you mean Old New York? I guess that we just tend to think of the Irish more in context of the larger migrations in the 19th century as that's when the "No Irish Allowed" sentiment really peaked, so it was a bit jarring to hear the sudden switch to an Irish accent in the middle of that tour audio. I suppose when you get down to it we didn't really expect the game to have been that correct since we were in something called "The Museum of Freedom." Then again, that's far from the most out of place Irish accent we're going to encounter in this game.

Not sure what you mean by "Old New York," but the bit about New Amsterdam was just one example of colonial diversity, although not really that relevant to Boston (afaik). I basically just meant that the descendants of Dutch colonists were still kicking around after it became New York. We usually do think about Irish in America as a 19th century thing because that's when the big wave of immigration began, so I definitely get why it's unexpected to depict an original Tea Partier with an Irish accent. I'm a professional history nerd and so it's just my nature to chime in about this stuff, no reproach intended. And given the level of quality in that museum, yeah it's likely this was "accidental accuracy" on the part of either the fictional designers of the museum or the actual designers of the game. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It was still basically a French colony largely populated by fur traders, Jesuits, and native people, only partially integrated into the British Empire by then. So they had other poo poo going on.

• Locked thread