Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Have you ever programmed before? Rust is a spectacular language, but for a beginner you will just hate yourself. An easier language like Python would suit I think. If the task is making the tightening of screws faster than the difference between milliseconds and microseconds will mean little when the task used to take minutes. I also don't recommend picking an OS until you know exactly what you want to do, though I imagine it will end up being some kind of linux.

Could you speak a little more about the process you go through to do a pattern? I've never seen this and I don't want to dispense advice without knowing more. Googling this just brings up all types of looms, from manual wooden looms in south asia to something that appears to be a printer for fabric.

It might also help to show a crude drawing of what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I hope I didn't break any rules, but I went through your post history in the DIY thread to see if I could find a picture of what you meant. You did one better and had a video. I can see why you want to automate that, what a dull horrible thing. But the good thing is that this should be pretty easy.

So find 16 (I counted that many holes) actuators that will work for those pins, line them up and you can do a row at a time. I assume that was what you were planning in the first place. Pick your hardware/OS/Language based on what the actuators need, then practice getting the timing right on wood that isn't worth it's weight in gold. After that, work out a solution to controlling the thing. If you're lucky and get to use a raspberry pi you might be able to mount a tiny 5inch touch screen and can make a simple gui.

For the actual Pattern part, I suggest keeping it simple and read from a small string like such:

0X0X0X <--- Where 0 is blank and X are pins.
X0X0X0
0X0X0X

And I would make a board with a grid of 40x16 (or whatever is more correct) pins to keep your order. You'd be able to see the opposite of your pattern and it might end up being easier to keep track of where you are.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Ok next question, why does Arch have faster system calls when it's running the same kernel as all the other linux distros?

• Locked thread