Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I haven't ran into any trouble with cops personally, but my sister does a lot because she has severe autism and most of her PCA's are from Africa (two from Nigeria, one from Liberia and one from Sierra Leone). Here's two stories:

1.) One of the staff went out to get the car and bring it to the store entrance my sister and another staff were waiting in because it was -20 F outside. The car was in a handicap spot (she has a rear view mirror hanger for parking in them) and a "community service liason" (sort of a cop but not really) wrote him a ticket for misusing a handicap sticker. He explained the situation to the cop, who then went back to the car, brought back the court date, and said "I could tear this stick up RIGHT NOW if I wanted to" and drove off. My dad called the guy, who stuck to his guns on the whole thing. My dad and the staff went to court and the "cop" actually showed up. Thankfully, the judge completely owned the rent-a-cop (he didn't actually have the right to tear up the handicap sticker) and threw out the ticket.

2.) My sister had a behavioral episode out in public once and the two staff with her had to restrain her, and someone called the cops. I totally understand that part because if I saw two people holding down a screaming woman I'd call the cops too. The cops didn't come out guns blazing, thank god, but they insisted that she go in an ambulance to the hospital to be evaulated. This was after her identity had been verified, the identity and employment status of the staff had been verified, and my mom got in contact with the officer, explained her risk management plan, and pleaded with him to not send her in the ambulance. So she had to go in the ambulance to the ER, the doctors were like "this was loving stupid" and the police department ended up being on the hook for an unnecessary ambulance ride and ER visit.

I don't hate cops or anything but I get into some uncomfortable discussions with those blue lives matter chest-thumpers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread