Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Sinclair
Sheridan
Hello old friend
View Results

• Locked thread
Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
gently caress, time to watch it all again I guess. Curse you op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Indy posted:

Or when londo nukes his own world to kill the shadows on the island. Awesome dialog with morden right there. Londo is the poo poo

Yeah that owned. The look on morden's smug face was priceless. I also liked when vir got to wave at his head on a pike as promised. :coal: What a great present. Mollari ia a true bro.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Indy posted:

gently caress, time to watch it all again I guess. Curse you op

Heh heh. :smug:

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

which one?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Zathras is zathras. Idiot. :haw:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Lyta and Lennier were mostly boring characters as I recall though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Indy posted:

Or when londo nukes his own world to kill the shadows on the island. Awesome dialog with morden right there. Londo is the poo poo

But Londo, there's still someone here who's been touched by the Shadows, and you just told the Vorlons!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nathilus posted:

Or londo for that matter. Or delenn and her weird as gently caress but pefectly fitting accent.
I did a double take when I realized she was Rousseau on Lost.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I watched the whole lot (complete with awful short films and the abruptly aborted Crusade) earlier this year. I'd always meant to catch up on it, having only seen the odd episode or snippets before and I wasn't disappointed. Some of the shorts were amazingly terrible and the whole order vs chaos thing wore thin but one thing made the whole great. G'kar and Londo - their roles and dialogue were almost spot on all the time and the actors carried them off beautifully . Seeing G'kar evolve from a one dimensional hate filled revenge seeker into the space pope at the end was just superb.

The cancellation and network hassle made a mess of the 4th and 5th seasons though but that seems par for the course with scifi shows. I get they want to finish telling their story but trying to snip off all the threads nice and tidily makes for very wooden episodes.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I did a double take when I realized she was Rousseau on Lost.

What! :monocle::vince::psyboom:

Seriously, I'm gonna go back and finish watching b5 *proceeds to watch all of Lost a 4th time*

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Nathilus posted:

True that.

Here's that interview about his illness. https://youtu.be/AwyAo_YjtdM

This is my greatest fear. To be losing your mind and KNOW its happening is utterly horrific to me.

It feels like buying an SA account in TYOOL 2015.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Ratzap posted:

I watched the whole lot (complete with awful short films and the abruptly aborted Crusade) earlier this year. I'd always meant to catch up on it, having only seen the odd episode or snippets before and I wasn't disappointed.

I was a kid when this was still coming out, and it was the same for me. I saw some snippets but always flicked away through channels when londo came on because his hair was ridiculous, his accent was ridiculous, and he was always yelling about bullshit. How wrong I was. ;.; I'm so sorry londo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dreddout posted:

There there. Pat pat.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Dreddout posted:

still more entertainment for your buck than CBS

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

People actually watched that show? I mean, like, on purpose?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I never wanted it to end.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This show was so ahead of its time it's mind boggling. It took what another 15 years or something before networks figured out people like a big involved story without having to hit the reset button every week? The side effect of this is it takes a loooong time to really hit its stride but not having the back story of some of the earlier "eh" episodes leaves blanks when they suddenly bring back some plot thread 3 seasons later and you're all :aaa:

Also yeah some of the actors on the show were quietly AAA quality

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:siren:Bad opinion alert:siren:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

This show was so ahead of its time it's mind boggling. It took what another 15 years or something before networks figured out people like a big involved story without having to hit the reset button every week? The side effect of this is it takes a loooong time to really hit its stride but not having the back story of some of the earlier "eh" episodes leaves blanks when they suddenly bring back some plot thread 3 seasons later and you're all :aaa:

Also yeah some of the actors on the show were quietly AAA quality

As far as I could tell Babylon 5 was like Deep Space 9 only with a lower budget and less appeal.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As far as I could tell Babylon 5 was like Deep Space 9 only with a lower budget and less appeal.

Yes, but better in every way, sry trekkies

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I was legit mad when Sinclair was replaced. I liked his relatively dark, depressed, PTSD-infused manner, and when happy puppy Sheridan showed up it stank like something network suits would have pulled to make the central character more upbeat and heroic and ratings-friendly. Of course, this was without knowing the real situation with Michael O'Hare at the time. Thankfully, as the show progressed Sheridan/Boxleitner worked out really well.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's way smarter than any trek. Even ds9 is a cartoon compared to babylon 5. Trek is more of a space romp, they don't seriously explore how various characters are affected by their space issues often. Such is the backbone of b5.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

B5 is awesome you just have to accept it has the budget of community theater

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Pick posted:

B5 is awesome you just have to accept it has the budget of community theater

After a while you stop even noticing. It works really well within the budget it got.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's like ds9 except good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Well, given this outpouring of support for Babylon 5 I have to say that I will continue to ignore its existence pretty much the same as I did previously.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Two pages and no one's mentioned Marcus the amazing smart witty strong ranger who is cool as heck and wise and from Lord of the Rings and dies in the stupidest way possible because he's a clown

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Babylon 5 is sci-fi and community theater combined? Well why didn't you say so!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We'll probably lose the few remaining actors over the next five years, while William Shatner lives to be 130 years old without visibly aging past 49.

RIP Mister (that's his first name) Garibaldi, Zack Allan, doctor Franklin, G'kar and Sinclair. Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head that have passed on.

Edit: Peter Jurasiks ritual to get into character as Londo was to say very loudly "MISTER GARIBALDI". Then he was ready.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CaptainSarcastic posted:

paramount made DS9 in response to seeing JMS' pitch and not buying it

sheridan owns

B5, as a whole, is this series that does so much with the meagre budget it had which gives it this theatrical feel. they have the same half a dozen guest stars playing EVERY guest role, each set can be made into three or four different locations based on set dressing and such, and everyone has a fair bit of melodramatic flair. you have to be a certain person to appreciate it but it was so far ahead of its time that it's really quite amazing.

walter koenig was an amazing guest star - Bester is just a fantastic character

but yeah, so many of the cast have died. it's kind of funny because the titular babylon stations had a 'babylon curse', and now there seems to be one haunting the various actors. a lot of them died young or were struggling with substance addictions or mental illness. michael o'hare (sinclair) is easily the most tragic one because, as others have pointed out, he was literally losing his mind.

while playing a character who had a whole episode where he couldn't tell fiction from reality and hallucinated his war PTSD.

and the secret was so well kept that until JMS came out with the truth, everyone thought o'hare was kicked from the show for being a sexual harassment guy.

richard biggs (stephen franklin) was basically completely deaf and gave some of the best performances on the show. he learned everyone's lines and lip read to know when he was supposed to do his.

the show is incredible because they all overcame so many weird difficulties.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

evobatman posted:

We'll probably lose the few remaining actors over the next five years, while William Shatner lives to be 130 years old without visibly aging past 49.

RIP Mister (that's his first name) Garibaldi, Zack Allan, doctor Franklin, G'kar and Sinclair. Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head that have passed on.

Edit: Peter Jurasiks ritual to get into character as Londo was to say very loudly "MISTER GARIBALDI". Then he was ready.

Zathras (Tim Choate) is dead, too. Motorcycle accident. :(

"Zathras is used to being beast of burden for other people's needs...very sad life. Probably have very sad death; but, at least there is symmetry."

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Capntastic posted:

Two pages and no one's mentioned Marcus the amazing smart witty strong ranger who is cool as heck and wise and from Lord of the Rings and dies in the stupidest way possible because he's a clown

Probably because his character was a little too 'larger than life' and the way they killed him off was just loving puerile.

The networks just didn't fathom that B5 is just a soap opera with a funky setting. People get invested in them and enjoy the story arc. Some soaps have been running for decades, they could have milked that poo poo forever.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Post Londo ITT
https://youtu.be/b_sBNX9dP-M

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Deep Space 9 is a literal rip off of Babylon 5. JMS pitched B5 to paramount first and they turned him down, took his notes and made DS9 to compete with B5.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

paramount made DS9 in response to seeing JMS' pitch and not buying it

sheridan owns

B5, as a whole, is this series that does so much with the meagre budget it had which gives it this theatrical feel. they have the same half a dozen guest stars playing EVERY guest role, each set can be made into three or four different locations based on set dressing and such, and everyone has a fair bit of melodramatic flair. you have to be a certain person to appreciate it but it was so far ahead of its time that it's really quite amazing.

walter koenig was an amazing guest star - Bester is just a fantastic character

but yeah, so many of the cast have died. it's kind of funny because the titular babylon stations had a 'babylon curse', and now there seems to be one haunting the various actors. a lot of them died young or were struggling with substance addictions or mental illness. michael o'hare (sinclair) is easily the most tragic one because, as others have pointed out, he was literally losing his mind.

while playing a character who had a whole episode where he couldn't tell fiction from reality and hallucinated his war PTSD.

and the secret was so well kept that until JMS came out with the truth, everyone thought o'hare was kicked from the show for being a sexual harassment guy.

richard biggs (stephen franklin) was basically completely deaf and gave some of the best performances on the show. he learned everyone's lines and lip read to know when he was supposed to do his.

the show is incredible because they all overcame so many weird difficulties.

I think that's a lot of what made it fun, is that it was weird but authentic and it really did feel like everyone involved was incredibly invested in it and doing their best. And sometimes they were stage actors who had just escaped persecution in Yugoslavia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22aMIOa35ko

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FunkyFlashman posted:

G'kar and Molari. Like Batman and Joker. But whos the Joker and who of them is Batman. Mortal enemy,rival,friend,bro all in one.

The episode where they get locked in a busted elevator is the best

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-SJh8szjA

edit 2: beaten on the vid link

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 1, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

The episode where they get locked in a busted elevator is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

"Ahhh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package...how efficient of you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF27OtzAslY&t=124s

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Haha yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

DrBouvenstein posted: