Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Sinclair
Sheridan
Hello old friend
View Results

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Ratzap posted:

Probably because his character was a little too 'larger than life' and the way they killed him off was just loving puerile.

The networks just didn't fathom that B5 is just a soap opera with a funky setting. People get invested in them and enjoy the story arc. Some soaps have been running for decades, they could have milked that poo poo forever.

B5 was best when it was Garibaldi as a rent a cop on a lovely space station full of shoplifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
My fav part of b5 was the season one opening when Sinclair is talking about the station and he says in an extremely true-crime show narrator voice "it can be a dangerous place..." while they show him creepin around with a lil gun

Then season 2 happens and some dick with tv movie good looks is the new Sinclair and the opening doesn't say anything about it being a dangerous place :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRRI1WHlUcc

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
2nd favorite thing is anything with lizard tomalak

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gatekeeper posted:

2nd favorite thing is anything with lizard tomalak

Whoa whoa, Narn aren't lizards, they're technically more like marsupials.

quote:

Though somewhat reptilian in appearance, the Narn actually have more in common with Earth marsupials and felines than reptiles. As with many species, Narn sexual reproduction is heterosexual and viviparous, beginning with a direct male-to-female mating in which the female carries the young until birth. After this they are transferred to the male's abdominal pouch where they are nurtured for the next three months, until they are strong enough to survive outside of their father's body.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Gatekeeper posted:

My fav part of b5 was the season one opening when Sinclair is talking about the station and he says in an extremely true-crime show narrator voice "it can be a dangerous place..." while they show him creepin around with a lil gun

Then season 2 happens and some dick with tv movie good looks is the new Sinclair and the opening doesn't say anything about it being a dangerous place :(

They actually did this partly on purpose (yeah i listened to the commentary's so what). JMS knew the fans were going to hate Sheridan no matter what so he didn't even try to make him likeable, he was to be this happy positive character drawn into the not so happy world of B5.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I utterly hated the poo poo out of him at first, but he nutted up and therefore really grew on me.

https://youtu.be/2w4nxVUhydk

(bad video quality, hella sheridan) https://youtu.be/M5FZhyULRis

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The actors who played G'kar and Lando were miracle workers. I'm still convinced they got lost on the way to a better show and ended up on B5.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

[screams hysterically]

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Typical Pubbie posted:

The actors who played G'kar and Lando were miracle workers. I'm still convinced they got lost on the way to a better show and ended up on B5.

Wow, rude.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Volcott posted:

[screams hysterically]

[skreeeeeeeeee]

Yes yes I KNOW. In space no one can hear you skree. Their psychic thats how it works. The medium they skree into is not a near vacuum it's your head. (well ok maybe it is still a near vacuum).

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Ever since I watched the show (airing in 1997 here in Finland), B5 has remained my favorite science fiction show. To this day, only a few have come even close to portraying such a well formed world and story.

Nathilus posted:

Also, drat, talking about those bookend eps has reminded me of how good the episode naming in this show was. Besides the ones I've mentioned, "deconstruction of falling stars" and "meditations on the abyss" come to mind. Someone had a poetic streak. But "falling toward apotheosis" is my favorite episode title. It's just clever and classy as hell.

Harlan goddamn Ellison was part of the creative team and instrumental in building the core concepts of the show. Considering his love and flair for the English language, I've no doubt he came up with those and many more.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Geometry of Shadows was good, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quill posted:

Harlan goddamn Ellison was part of the creative team and instrumental in building the core concepts of the show. Considering his love and flair for the English language, I've no doubt he came up with those and many more.

Or maybe it was his herpes that was responsible.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Volcott posted:

The Geometry of Shadows was good, too.

And Passing Through Gethsemane.

Yknow just in case the jesus angle has continued to escape you by that point.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Or maybe it was his herpes that was responsible.

Or the comic book collection.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

DS9 never had Jack the Ripper show up. Are you even trying, Berman?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Volcott posted:

DS9 never had Jack the Ripper show up. Are you even trying, Berman?

Darkness in the Light, everything about Judzia's inner seriel killer and that Vulcan with the telaporting bullets.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
b5 is the goofiest show to ever have top notch tv writing. it's like Jim Henson presents Gene Roddenberry's Breaking Bad

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Darkness in the Light, everything about Judzia's inner seriel killer and that Vulcan with the telaporting bullets.

Jadiza's inner murderer was dumb, but the teleporting bullet Vulcan murder mystery was so bizarre I can't really decide if I like it or not.

The one where a certain lovable Cardassian gets a bit kill crazy on an empty DS9 set is a pretty good one.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

dookifex_maximus posted:

b5 is the goofiest show to ever have top notch tv writing. it's like Jim Henson presents Gene Roddenberry's Breaking Bad

it's like a theatrical production more than a tv series, IMO

like, every week, you go down to the theatre and see the babylon 5 players put on a new episode

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Unironically my favorite TV show ever. The pervasive stage style of acting takes some getting used to and was a little out of place even in its time, at least for a show that took itself mostly seriously.

As for the thread title, I respect Sinclair but I would follow Sheridan into the gates of hell.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

This week: Ivanova upset; yelling at people in CIC.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, given this outpouring of support for Babylon 5 I have to say that I will continue to ignore its existence pretty much the same as I did previously.

move along home, pal

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dookifex_maximus posted:

You're thinking of Farscape.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nathilus posted:

Also, drat, talking about those bookend eps has reminded me of how good the episode naming in this show was. Besides the ones I've mentioned, "deconstruction of falling stars" and "meditations on the abyss" come to mind. Someone had a poetic streak. But "falling toward apotheosis" is my favorite episode title. It's just clever and classy as hell.

They remind me of Community episode names now.

I'd take those community college classes.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Applewhite posted:

You're thinking of Farscape.

Yeah. Though tbf farscape played sincerely for its laughs and it deserves them.

It's one of the few tv shows that has ever managed to troll me. I was invested enough that I was mad as hell when rocks fell and everyone died.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

it's like a theatrical production more than a tv series, IMO

like, every week, you go down to the theatre and see the babylon 5 players put on a new episode

yeah, pretty much this, it has a lot more in common with stage than it does with tv

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's been almost 20 years since Sheridan went to Z'ha'dum...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Netflix doesn't have Babylon 5 so

that's too bad

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Article on the debate about ds9 being stolen or inspired by b5

http://www.tor.com/2013/02/26/is-this-the-smoking-gun-proving-deep-space-nine-ripped-off-babylon-5/

Btw you guys should check out The Expanse

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 2, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

There's so many things that point to DS9 'borrowing' things.

Kind of like how they got the prototype Defiant in the first episode of the third season, which they then take on a clandestine mission into enemy territory.

Which is just like how the B5 crew gets the prototype White Star in the first episode of the third season, which they then take on a clandestine mission into enemy territory.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If it's third season plagiarism who do you blame? Show runners? Producer?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stargate SG1 was better than DS9 or B5 in any case.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

If it's third season plagiarism who do you blame? Show runners? Producer?

I think JMS has about the right of it. There were people at the top, people whom he had tried to pitch B5 to, who may have been nudging the writers and such to unknowingly inject things from the B5 'bible' that JMS gave them during the pitch (arc outline, character info, a bunch of episode synopses, etc)

It's not as striking a rip off as Into Darkness and Wing Commander 4, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Stargate SG1 was better than DS9 or B5 in any case.

You really have to view B5 in context, where the idea of a long-form story, or even just most of the scripts being done by one writer (and didn't JMS do like 98 consecutive scripts or some crazy poo poo like that?) was essentially witchcraft

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pick posted:

You really have to view B5 in context, where the idea of a long-form story, or even just most of the scripts being done by one writer (and didn't JMS do like 98 consecutive scripts or some crazy poo poo like that?) was essentially witchcraft

92 of 110 episodes. He did the entirety of the third and fourth seasons and generally he did any 'important' episode in the other seasons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
his movie The Changeling is really fuckin good too

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

92 of 110 episodes. He did the entirety of the third and fourth seasons and generally he did any 'important' episode in the other seasons.

Jesus. So he wrote a full novel prior?

I guess that is the only real way to make a plot that flows from episode to episode.

I "blame" b5 for ruining me on episodic tv. Once I heard that Lost was written week to week with no plan I could not watch it. Somewhat ironic given that Delenn managed to be on both. Good for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
"Hold the line against the night"
https://youtu.be/m2sdy7PLSXQ

This is a great speech.

• Locked thread