Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Sinclair
Sheridan
Hello old friend
View Results

• Locked thread
Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

Jesus. So he wrote a full novel prior?

His pitch for B5 was TV as a "visual novel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

DS9 never had Jack the Ripper show up. Are you even trying, Berman?

Kirk had already destroyed Jack the Ripper. Guess you can't expect B5 fans to know anything about sci-fi. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Wolf_in_the_Fold_(episode)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jesus. So he wrote a full novel prior?

Not quite, he had a file of index cards with episode breakdowns, but had to leave a lot of room for the expected unexpected production changes. For example, each character had an "out" in case the actor left, etc., like Talia being a deep-cover PsiCorps plant. And of course you always improvise some and take cues as the actors develop their characters. JMS wrote a eulogy for Jerry Doyle and included this gem:

"There is a line in Babylon 5 where his character, Michael Garibaldi, suggests that the way to deal with crime is to go from electric chairs to electric bleachers. That line is quintessential Jerry Doyle. I say this with confidence because I overheard him saying it at lunch then stole it for the show."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
b5 is a show about a cast of misfits that was realistically cast with misfits

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Indy posted:

Londo is the poo poo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

as for the original question, sheridan got that swagger

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

b5 is a show about a cast of misfits that was realistically cast with misfits

This really sums it up, and is a good part of the reason it resonates so well with a lot of people. They're mostly a bunch of misfit underdogs struggling against their own worst instincts to do the right thing, some succeeding and some not, and the casting makes it come off genuine. It's bleak at times, and skeptical, but never cynical. It's all in earnest. It's a show for the seekers; you won't get nearly as much out of it without that nature.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

This really sums it up, and is a good part of the reason it resonates so well with a lot of people. They're mostly a bunch of misfit underdogs struggling against their own worst instincts to do the right thing, some succeeding and some not, and the casting makes it come off genuine. It's bleak at times, and skeptical, but never cynical. It's all in earnest. It's a show for the seekers; you won't get nearly as much out of it without that nature.

That's a really good insight. The casting is superb, even if they're not the best actors, because they give it their all and they're bringing a lot of heart to the performances.

Take Jerry Doyle, the most recent of B5's dearly departed. The guy was basically playing himself and Doyle's self doesn't seem like the nicest person to be around. That story JMS mentions in the eulogy, of Jerry haranguing a guest star? That wasn't a no-name actor he was yelling at. It was one of their big name award-winning guest stars. He broke an arm on set during the filming of Severed Dreams and that footage was used.

Michael O'Hare, suffering from severe mental illness while playing a character with war-induced PTSD and a 'hole in his mind'. Jeff Conaway, playing a 2IC who was 'given a second chance' and was doing his best not to screw it up. Mira Furlan, Delenn, from war-torn Yugoslavia who then had a plot about her homeworld breaking into sectarian civil war. You could find something like that, some grey reflection, for every actor on the show, probably right down to a lot of the guest stars who, themselves, did wonderful things for the characters they played. Take, for example, Bester's distinctive 'dead' hand which was purely an invention of Walter Koenig.

B5's central message - that 'faith manages' - is only enhanced by the more you know about the show and the people involved. It's really quite remarkable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

That's a really good insight. The casting is superb, even if they're not the best actors, because they give it their all and they're bringing a lot of heart to the performances.

Take Jerry Doyle, the most recent of B5's dearly departed. The guy was basically playing himself and Doyle's self doesn't seem like the nicest person to be around. That story JMS mentions in the eulogy, of Jerry haranguing a guest star? That wasn't a no-name actor he was yelling at. It was one of their big name award-winning guest stars. He broke an arm on set during the filming of Severed Dreams and that footage was used.

Michael O'Hare, suffering from severe mental illness while playing a character with war-induced PTSD and a 'hole in his mind'. Jeff Conaway, playing a 2IC who was 'given a second chance' and was doing his best not to screw it up. Mira Furlan, Delenn, from war-torn Yugoslavia who then had a plot about her homeworld breaking into sectarian civil war. You could find something like that, some grey reflection, for every actor on the show, probably right down to a lot of the guest stars who, themselves, did wonderful things for the characters they played. Take, for example, Bester's distinctive 'dead' hand which was purely an invention of Walter Koenig.

B5's central message - that 'faith manages' - is only enhanced by the more you know about the show and the people involved. It's really quite remarkable.

Thank you for writing this, it makes me appreciate the show even more!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The actors beloved in the show and it really comes across

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gatekeeper posted:

My fav part of b5 was the season one opening when Sinclair is talking about the station and he says in an extremely true-crime show narrator voice "it can be a dangerous place..." while they show him creepin around with a lil gun

Then season 2 happens and some dick with tv movie good looks is the new Sinclair and the opening doesn't say anything about it being a dangerous place :(

Some people give season 1 grief, but I really like the sense it gives of Babylon 5 - a giant, miles-long space colony carrying a quarter-million people - being this little flickering campfire way out in the deep dark cosmos.

Later on in the series it becomes a center of civilization in its own right, and that makes sense, but I do still love the way the music and visuals and editing create a sense of remote isolation in that first season.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
For all its faults, B5 is still one of the only TV shows to have a real honest-to-god story arc over several seasons (obviously just seasons 1-4, with a good finish in the last couple episodes of season 5). The story feels like it's actually progressing, it has a real trajectory, and it has real setups and payoffs. It's perhaps the only show I know of that promises big revelations and actually delivers on them, it doesn't feel like the story was written as they went (like Battlestar Galactica).

DS9 was such a rip off. What an incredible piece of poo poo. I literally came up with a better ending for that forgettable garbage 5 minutes after watching it. Like, have the wormhole beings, who exist out of time, be the evolved form of the intermixing of the Bajorans and Cardassians, and they need Sisko to broker a peace between them so they can take that first evolutionary step. There is literally no point to the story or to why Sisko is so drat special, except that they wanted to make him like Sheridan from B5. There is no sci-fi payoff or anything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Bit posted:

DS9 was such a rip off. What an incredible piece of poo poo. I literally came up with a better ending for that forgettable garbage 5 minutes after watching it. Like, have the wormhole beings, who exist out of time, be the evolved form of the intermixing of the Bajorans and Cardassians, and they need Sisko to broker a peace between them so they can take that first evolutionary step. There is literally no point to the story or to why Sisko is so drat special, except that they wanted to make him like Sheridan from B5. There is no sci-fi payoff or anything.

Rip-off or no, DS9 is outstanding and a wonderful addition to Trek. Explaining what the Prophets were really trying to accomplish would have sort of defeated the purpose of having an unknowable higher being be a major element of a show's lore. The miraculous conception stuff and the chosen one nonsense was only really silly in the final season, and for a point--the rest of the show explores instead the political ramifications of being named a holy man of an alien religion, and also focuses on six and a half years worth of character development and great little adventures. If you want to say it's inferior to B5, that's your opinion and maybe quite valid, but DS9 remains in its own right a fantastic show, possibly even the best Star Trek show of them all.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Sheridan is a stereotypical loud American idiot and I can't believe you people like him

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Rip-off or no, DS9 is outstanding and a wonderful addition to Trek. Explaining what the Prophets were really trying to accomplish would have sort of defeated the purpose of having an unknowable higher being be a major element of a show's lore. The miraculous conception stuff and the chosen one nonsense was only really silly in the final season, and for a point--the rest of the show explores instead the political ramifications of being named a holy man of an alien religion, and also focuses on six and a half years worth of character development and great little adventures. If you want to say it's inferior to B5, that's your opinion and maybe quite valid, but DS9 remains in its own right a fantastic show, possibly even the best Star Trek show of them all.

I was perhaps being too harsh; I thought the characters were fun and the individual episodes of DS9 were often very good. But put a LITTLE effort into the overall story line. Bajorans are good, Cardassians are bad. Wormhole beings are good, shoehorned-in Wormhole Demons are bad. My point was simply that I'm not getting paid to do this and I came up with something better, they could've at least put SOME nuance and thought into it. It also isn't much of a sci-fi story, just a good/bad political drama.

I probably would've liked it much more if I had no expectations. Everyone said DS9 is so great, and I loved B5 which sets the bar insanely high in terms of story. The cards were stacked against it.

It's surprising, because of all the Trek shows DS9 had some of the most grey-area characters in terms of morality. The fact that the major political story of the show was overwhelmingly black and white was disappointing.

By contrast, B5 was exactly the opposite. You sympathized with all of these characters, understood the pressures and circumstances they were in, and felt bad for them when they made terrible decisions. I kept waiting for the same thing in DS9 with the Cardassians, and it seemed like they were heading in that direction in a few episodes, but ultimately didn't.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
nah, even the cardassians were sympathetic. B5 may have had a few characters who knocked it out of the park in that respect but for the most part it was very hard to give a poo poo about the rest of the characters. All that poo poo with Garibaldi, who the gently caress cared? B5s storyline was cool and it was definitely ahead of its time, and I appreciate how much the cast and crew really loved their show, but as a whole the ds9 cast was much better and much easier to become invested in. It was like a whole cast of gkars and londos instead of those two being the exception.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
the had to turn dukat into a comic book supervillian at the end in order to make the audience realize he was a bad guy, that's how sympathetic he was

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 5, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It was funny that bajor had every possible problem a society could have, like the sociological equivalent of the family from seventh heaven. Castes and religion intermixed with politics and racism and extreme nationalism and resource misallocation and whatever the hell else. Babylon 5's ongoing story was genuinely interesting and thoughtful, 80% of ds9's ended with a wet fart with nonsense about pah wraiths. Like, okay, Garak was cool, but still pretty juvenile compared to Londo and G'kar, and no one else came close

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 5, 2016

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Don't get me wrong, B5 is the better show for being more original and having the better story, but ds9 wasn't a bad show and was better than b5 in plenty of respects. I still think it's more fun to watch, in general.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gatekeeper posted:

Don't get me wrong, B5 is the better show for being more original and having the better story, but ds9 wasn't a bad show and was better than b5 in plenty of respects. I still think it's more fun to watch, in general.
If DS9 had been entirely stuff like that one 6 episode arc, it would have been awesome, but they didn't do it until season six and afterward, they just go back to monster of the week stuff. Don't even get me started on the lame frank sinatra guy holodeck episodes. I wish Babylon 5 had been beloved and didn't have to compromise their ending while ds9 could have done well with dropping a season. The last season was really weak.

Also, it seemed pretty obvious me that the whole point of writing in a trill was to have them lose a host as part of the series. So why did they then compromise by writing in a plucky new character instead of making the audience actually feel the loss?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 5, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also, it seemed pretty obvious me that the whole point of writing in a trill was to have them lose a host as part of the series. So why did they then compromise by writing in a plucky new character instead of making the audience actually feel the loss?

Ezri Dax imo represents the hope and optimism of youth and the future of the Federation during the darkness of war. She's meant to demonstrate by her own inexperience just how far the main cast had grown and developed. Sisko is a legendary war hero at this stage, Kira is probably the most important Bajoran of them all, with close ties to both religious and political circles, Worf is Worf, Bashir is a decorated genius, and so on.

Jadzia had really hit her peak with her wedding to Worf, so she's the obvious candidate to write off.

Ezri is there to have a character that is grounded, relatable, and not really a super bad-rear end, mega-genius or Garak. She's also super duper cute.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

She entered at a time when stories are meant to be concluding and the audience is the least receptive to new characters. I didn't dislike her or anything, I just wasn't invested in her and knew I never would be. It was good for them to kill jadzia, it just took away from the feeling of loss the audience was supposed to feel - it would have said a lot more about the reality of war if there was a gap in the cast instead of a cute new stand in ready to take her place. Mentioning that dax was off in some other host was fine, but she didn't belong in the show. She could have featured on voyager or something.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

She could have featured on voyager or something.

The cruelest possible fate.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

I think the point of having a trill was to have sisko's old friend/mentor in the body of a hot young woman, honestly, I don't think they ever intended to lose a host

and the Vic Fontaine episodes were great so smdyfm

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Can we all agree the mirror universe episodes were the worst thing about DS9?
Yes, worse than Jake Sisko and Nog.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NihilismNow posted:

Can we all agree the mirror universe episodes were the worst thing about DS9?
Yes, worse than Jake Sisko and Nog.

Literally the best ones. Evil Kira is a treat, a treasure, a delight. Pirate Sisko is the highlight performance of his career.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I respect anyone who rocks outfits like this:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In the mirror universe, Chief O'Brien is called "Smiley" because him being a dour sourpuss is actually a cosmic constant.

Evidenced as well by O'Brien being displaced in time multiple times

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what the hell is all this Deep Space Nine poo poo? this thread is for people who want to see the show with real characters. :smug:

Okay but seriously this is a good website for interviews with people who did art on Babylon 5: http://babylon5.infinispace.net/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Stargate SG1 was better than DS9 or B5 in any case.

gently caress you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
claudia christian is still pretty hot and has a bunch of stories about JMS being a total m'lady goon towards her

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

gently caress you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Speaking of, CBS has a reboot of Macguyver coming out soon.

Patti and Selma are rolling in their graves.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

claudia christian is still pretty hot

I think there was a story about how when they were filming a cameo of Teen Ivanova for one of the B5 TV movies that they were either not going to do the scene or hire a different actress until she showed them that she pretty much looked the same as she did in the late 90s as she did as teen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

evobatman posted:

Thank you for writing this, it makes me appreciate the show even more!

Adding on to this...

It turns out that Jerry Doyle passed away due to complications from chronic alcoholism. Which is something that haunted his character, Garibaldi, too. Tragic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Andreas Katsulas was actually strangled by his boyhood rival.

Edit: cool my phone knew I was typing Katsulas

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wanna write some fanfic that involves Garak moving his shop to Bab5 and making suits for Londo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jack of Hearts posted:

Wanna write some fanfic that involves Garak moving his shop to Bab5 and making suits for Londo.

Garak would be cool on B5. Great actor, character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Garak would be cool on B5. Great actor, character.

• Locked thread