Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Berkeley/Bay Area: We're building some luxury condos/apartments which is fine, but not really enough and there's huge problems with lack of student housing combined with crunch of people moving here because it's still cheaper than SF and people just stick around in their same apartment after graduating. I think we'll see a lot of demolishing of single/double story of businesses along University Ave and finishing/beginning to construct some more highrises (it takes like 5 years from start to finish, so maybe not that many) which will be good but even the luxury apartments of today will probably still be higher-end apartments 10 years from now. Maybe another 10 years they may be more market-rate and new luxury places will take their spot, but most of the city will still be single family/duplexes/some triplexes. Also will probably continue to see exploding homelessness. Pretty much same trend for other two big cities (SF, Oakland).

Oakland will see a large increase in tech business as people move out of the more soulless south bay and setup shop here with it's close proximity to SF and generally more housing options (but still getting expensive) and culture. This will prolly spill over and effect prices here a bit in Berkeley. I think Fruitvale/south international blvd areas will still be pretty poor in 10 years but maybe getting a little better. African American population there will still continue to heavily decline as it has over the past 10 years, and more poor people who were pushed out of SF to Oakland may be pushed further out to like Pittsburg/Antioch or elsewhere. Meanwhile Oakland (like SF) will continue to see increasing amount of white 20 somethings as they fly away from their parent's suburban cul-de-sac midwest city or whatever and seek out city life and city opportunities, but can't quite afford SF prices.

But overall probably won't be much different other than worse traffic, BART will not even be close to expanding and so it'll just be overcrowded as poo poo (the new cars will provide some temporary relief) and we really aren't building any significant public transit systems--so everything will just be same but more overloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I live in Merced, CA. It's a small city in the Central Valley of California -- think Stockton with less people. The economy cratered in '08 and has sorta-kinda recovered, with unemployment currently 4.5 points higher than the state as a whole:

Merced is pretty hosed but as long as the UC system will keep dumping money to desperately prop up Merced, it will do better than most Central Valley cities like Stockton/Bakersfield/Fresno/etc which are mostly hosed. But I really don't see it having a huge future and most students don't really want to go there. They might have success trying to carve out a Davis-lite emphasis as a ped/bike friendly self-contained college town with great ag science and heavily invest in STEM fields, but it won't have any of the advantages that Davis has (decent enough weather, close proximity to a lot of jobs in Sacramento with great ties to governmental programs, Tahoe, <1 hr drive down to the bay) and I don't see it striking even copper in the next 10 years, even 20 years.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shbobdb posted:

Depending on how Brooklyn Basin develops, I think Fruitvale/ S International could explode pretty quickly.
Could be. Not familar with Brooklyn Basin development myself. I guess it's just a multi billion luxury condo/apt self-contained complex? Not really sure how long it'll take to complete but I could see about 10 years being about the major turning point but prolly not much before then--there's a shitton that can happen in the next decade, but at the same time it's really not that far off. But for the next 6+ years, I think emphasis and highly desired hip-areas will be like Uptown, Grand Lake (already absolute obscene explosion), and JLS area, and then probably spilling over as those become the new Mish' or whatever.

• Locked thread