Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
ITT we discuss and/or commiserate about how where we live will change in the next few years. I'd like to keep the scope to metropolitan area or smaller. I wrote ten years in the title, but feel free to conjecture about any time frame. Do you see your city getting worse? Better? What trends do you think will hold? Get as granular as you like.

To start, I currently live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. Hampton Roads is the generally accepted name for a loose knit number of cities. Traditionally, Hampton Roads includes Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, and Newport News. As a region, I expect Hampton Roads to do well over the next ten years. There is always an influx of new people from being a big military area. Admittedly, I don't know much about them, but we do have a few ports that as far as I know are doing ok. Norfolk seems to be growing at least a bit, along with Newport News and Hampton. Chesapeake is also expanding.

Now the downsides. Traffic has been bad in the area since forever. I only see it getting worse. The housing market is a bit of a mixed bag. There are single family homes to be had, but a lot of the expansion is deeper into Chesapeake, which is getting away from the more popular areas for QoL of Virginia Beach and Norfolk. Virginia Beach seems to have a trend of new apartment complexes and townhomes. Norfolk is a city where your chances of being a crime victim can change block by block. Portsmouth is accessible by tolled tunnels and is a pretty tough area to live in. I'm not sure how that city alone will do in the next ten years. Newport News and Hampton are popping up with new places to do things, but they are isolated on the Peninsula, and are also infamous for crime.

So I guess overall the outlook is good, with just an increase of the same problems we've always had. I wonder if that is what everyone else is experiencing where they live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I think that's pretty cool that we have a positive outlook story already. You make it sound like a nice place to visit.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My city will be 95% Puerto Rican instead of 40%. Can't wait to move out if this poo poo-hole.

Yikes. You sound like a real treat. Where is this poo poo-hole? How have the Puerto Ricans in your town threatened the security of your people and the future of your children?

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

Longer term climate change puts Chicago in a very enviable position and it becomes a new boomtown.

That is interesting to think about. Here is a recent-ish article about Chicago's outlook in regards to climate change. Some other articles I read suggested Buffalo, NY or Montana and the Dakotas as places that could benefit from climate change. But not Colorado.

The Atlantic posted:

Similarly, in Denver, Colorado, a landlocked city that might seem appealing because of its mile-high protection from rising seawaters, scientists warn that climate change could exacerbate droughts and harm water quality. “Water quality is sensitive both to increased water temperatures and changes in patterns of precipitation,” according to a Colorado Water Conservation Board report. “For example, changes in the timing and hydrograph may affect sediment load and pollution, impacting human health.” Scientists believe heat waves and wildfires in the state will also become more severe and more frequent, according to a Climate Change Vulnerability Study published earlier this year.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

It's interesting to compare Chicago to Manhattan on this issue. I don't want to make this thread about climate change, but it's central to NYC's future.

I also don't want the thread to turn into a discussion solely about climate change, but it is an issue central to a lot of cities futures. For Norfolk VA, currently catching some wind and rain from Hermine, it certainly is. I saw a map of projected areas that will be under water. I don't remember what time frame or other parameters, but it looked like 50% of the city would be swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

William Bear posted:

Research Triangle stuff

I'd like to hear more. I've thought about it as a place to live because it's still close to family. And it seems that NC is going purple, so thats a plus.

TheFuglyStik, your story is depressing.

A recurring theme I've noticed is that apartments/condos are the preferred developments over single family homes in lots of places. This WSJ article points out that home ownership is at a five decade low. The article isn't long at all, so give it a read. I see the rise of renters as another indicator of a widening socioeconomic gap. Admittedly, I do like the flexibility that renting allows, but everyone has a shittly landlord/property manager/apartment complex story. Anyways, what's your take? Is the increase in renters because of lack of starter home options, or changing preferences with millenials? Maybe something else? How does a lack of home ownership affect the long-term outlook of a city?

• Locked thread