Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
A town in rural Kentucky of about ~15,000

The relocation of Wal-Mart will continue gutting what used to be the economic center of town. More empty houses will continue being turned into duplexes, and subdivisions will keep cropping up around the outskirts of said Wal-Mart. Said duplexes are getting bought up by the Indians who have bought drat near every gas station in town, and beyond their payments on black BMW's in the parking lot of every single station, it gets sent overseas. The only thing that keeps me from being overtly racist is the fact that white pillheads aren't doing day labor. Sounds lovely, but I do respect the migrants who are willing to work tobacco fields for less than I made as a teenager twenty years ago. That's a poo poo job, even for a living wage.

Our school systems will go to poo poo since everyone of child-bearing age has moved out unless they're stuck replacing retiring workers in the local factories. A few who inherited local businesses and can still demand a decent wage from local hospitals will stick around, but it'll go to hell from there.

I expect the town I grew up in to be a ghost town of lovely rental properties and retail jobs when the baby-boomers die off. Just an extension of how the town went to hell when the bottom fell out of tobacco in the 90's, oil in the 00's, and natural gas in the past several years. Hopefully I can fund my retirement by then. Otherwise, I'll be hedging my bets on my RN wife being able to retire before our parents' generation dies off.

I'm taking over the family business, but I fully expect it to die by 2030, at the very latest. I won't get the title passed to me for a long-damned time, so here's hoping my wife keeps making enough to fund a retirement and doesn't want to leave my rear end until then. :smith: Otherwise, I'm jolly-well-hosed and eating Alpo. Go Cats, I guess?

TheFuglyStik fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread