Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Not too long ago all the seasons were on amazon prime. Not sure if they sitll are or not.

The best I think was the pool one but I liked the monkey paw one and the pinball one was pretty good.

One of the more boring ones I can remember was the one with the dogs where the solution was just dumping some dog food on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

the great deceiver posted:

*opens bag of sand, tosses handful onto fire*

It's salt

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
My dad stone HBO so tales from the crypt was on at the same time most Saturday's.

When everyone was talking about how scary it was I was like whatever. I saw some tits and someone get graphically disembowled.

Also we watched twilight zone together from the age of 5. So I could pretty much figure out the twist before the third act.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The American Dream posted:

My dad stone HBO so tales from the crypt was on at the same time most Saturday's.

When everyone was talking about how scary it was I was like whatever.

watch out guys. we got a real badass over here. who uses apostrophes to make plurals

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sperghetti posted:

I still reflexively say "I'm...cold..." the way the pussy ghost kid did in the episode where the kid died from being chilly and needed his hoodie returned to him before he could rest in peace. And then Clarissa Explains it All found a bunch of gold doubloons

"Hurrr I'm cold"

Oh poo poo this knocked a serious cobweb loose. My brother and I made this an inside joke for like a year because of how loving goofy it was.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Don't make prank calls or THE PHONE POLICE will get you

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM SOME KIND OF A CLOWN

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Haier posted:

Is there somewhere to find these streaming? My connection right now is too lousy for torrents, and I don't even know if I could find a torrent. There's an 11 year old kid her I'd like to show this show to.

Aren't they on Netflix? Or is it Goosebumps only? I remember showing my gf's kid Afraid SOMEWHERE streaming and it scared the poo poo out of him lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

"Oh hey, this Outer Limits show looks spooky like Are You Afraid of the Dark..."

*turns on Showtime*

:stare:

:vince:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sperghetti posted:

I still reflexively say "I'm...cold..." the way the pussy ghost kid did in the episode where the kid died from being chilly and needed his hoodie returned to him before he could rest in peace.

Me too!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Ditto x3!

My brother and I still say "anybody up there" while doing the underwater finger-on-lips thing from that episode with the dead prom queen or whatever (in a cemetery)

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Did these "entry-level horror" series just completely die off after the 90s once we had real things to be afraid of again? Or did we just grow up and stop paying attention?

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

je1 healthcare posted:

Did these "entry-level horror" series just completely die off after the 90s once we had real things to be afraid of again? Or did we just grow up and stop paying attention?

there is currently RL Stines the haunting which is decent for a kids scary show

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
wow, what a timely thread.

A few years ago, someone uploaded every single episode of AYAOTD to youtube, even the lovely final season that nobody watched. THese videos were on youtube for years and had a considerable amount of views and comments. Every once in a while when I had nothing to do, I'd watch one of my favorite episodes at night. Well, it turns out that every single video has been deleted from youtube. This must have happened within the last month or so. AFAIK, there is no way to watch them online (without torrenting), since they are not on netflix or hulu.

My question is this: Why doesn't Viacom create a youtube channel, and upload all of the episodes there, and insert 2 or 3 advertisements? There clearly is a demand for the videos, as evidenced by the high number of views on the now deleted videos. What is there to gain by simply removing all of the videos from the internet? It would seem that they could at least turn some profit by uploading them to their own channel. I don't get it. Does anyone have an answer for why companies don't do this for all of their old tv shows?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Don't make prank calls or THE PHONE POLICE will get you

Man, that episode was just goofy. Though I guess I can appreciate having the occasional episode that isn't about the supernatural.

I also like that the "sirens" on the Phone Police's car was the sound a landline-phone makes when you leave it off the hook.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

b-minus1 posted:

A few years ago, someone uploaded every single episode of AYAOTD to youtube, even the lovely final season that nobody watched. THese videos were on youtube for years and had a considerable amount of views and comments. Every once in a while when I had nothing to do, I'd watch one of my favorite episodes at night. Well, it turns out that every single video has been deleted from youtube. This must have happened within the last month or so. AFAIK, there is no way to watch them online (without torrenting), since they are not on netflix or hulu.

My question is this: Why doesn't Viacom create a youtube channel, and upload all of the episodes there, and insert 2 or 3 advertisements? There clearly is a demand for the videos, as evidenced by the high number of views on the now deleted videos. What is there to gain by simply removing all of the videos from the internet? It would seem that they could at least turn some profit by uploading them to their own channel. I don't get it. Does anyone have an answer for why companies don't do this for all of their old tv shows?
In the US it seems to be pay per episode or pay per season on Amazon video.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

b-minus1 posted:

Yesterday when I was refreshing my memory of the intro I found stuff on youtube - it's there if you look around

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, that episode was just goofy. Though I guess I can appreciate having the occasional episode that isn't about the supernatural.

I also like that the "sirens" on the Phone Police's car was the sound a landline-phone makes when you leave it off the hook.

I wonder how a modern version of this would play out. The "internet police" would torment a 14 year-old troll for 30 minutes until he learns his lesson.

b-minus1 posted:

You answered your own question. There's a clear demand for those shows, meaning people are willing to pay more than zero dollars to watch them, meaning they get put behind paywalls.

Furthermore, no company is going to give Youtube a 30-50% cut of their advertising revenues when they've already got a stake in their own video-streaming website. You can watch massive backlogs of old shows on Hulu, because it's owned by the networks that made them, which is soon going to put all their free content behind a subscription wall. Even Pewdiepie encourages people to watch his videos on his own website

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

hard counter posted:

Yesterday when I was refreshing my memory of the intro I found stuff on youtube - it's there if you look around

You gotta use the acronym, AYAOTD. But it's definitely not a complete list. The arcade mall and the zeke the clown episodes aren't there.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
the best episode was the one where there was an old dude that would fall asleep and everytime he slept a ghoul would crawl out of the ocean and walk towards his house. so he drank a LOT of coffee and didn't sleep much

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
kinda makes you think why the guy didnt just move to ohio so he could get a good night's sleep before the ghoul showed up at his doorstep

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the ghoul speeds up at a constant rate relative to your distance from the ocean yyou fuckboi

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Never seen it. I did like scary shows growing up, Twilight Zone (old and newer), Night Gallery, Tales From the Crypt, Amazing Stories, Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hmmm missing some mentions of some of the best ones :

- the little demon that was in the corner of pictures and would try and kill you with that haunted camera

-haha the one with Sinbad

-the clown with the cigars in the microwave

-the mirror in the attic that sent you where the gently caress ever forever ? Oblivion ?
-everybody is turning to porcelain

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pon de Bundy posted:

hmmm missing some mentions of some of the best ones :

- the little demon that was in the corner of pictures and would try and kill you with that haunted camera

I'm all but certain that's the gremlin one I talked about. I think at the end he gets inside a PC.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i liked that show but I can't recall anything specific now

I do remember playing the click adventure PC game and being scared though, pretty sure I didn't get anywhere in it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The guy who played Gary made a short documentary a few years ago about how he went to a retro Nickelodeon convention and couldn't understand why anyone gave a poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9Ergo26YA

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Sperghetti posted:

I still reflexively say "I'm...cold..." the way the pussy ghost kid did in the episode where the kid died from being chilly and needed his hoodie returned to him before he could rest in peace. And then Clarissa Explains it All found a bunch of gold doubloons

"Hurrr I'm cold"

lol same dude. good poo poo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pon de Bundy posted:

-the clown with the cigars in the microwave

Easy there, big fella', you're combining two unrelated clown-based episodes.

The clown with e cigar is from the one where a kid goes on one of those lovely "haunted house" rides at a county fair and steals the red nose from a stupid fake clown, but then the real clown the fake clown is based off of, who smokes cigars, haunts him or something until he gives the nose back.

The microwave one is the Ghastly Grinner who is a comic-book jester villain brought to live in a microwave, obviously, who makes people turn into weird smiling doofuses with goo coming out of their mouths.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ROFLburger posted:

kinda makes you think why the guy didnt just move to ohio so he could get a good night's sleep before the ghoul showed up at his doorstep

I blame Clinton and NAFTA

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

EugeneJ posted:

The guy who played Gary made a short documentary a few years ago about how he went to a retro Nickelodeon convention and couldn't understand why anyone gave a poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9Ergo26YA

Every person at that convention looks like the nerdiest person alive

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016
I'm scrolling through the OP dreading that one of the GIFs will be the pool monster and there it loving was

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How the hell does a school have an entire hidden pool, like the door was behind some lockers

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have a really vivid memory of school starting and everyone trying to trick people with the riddle from the first episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark, but most of the kids had already seen it so it didn't work very well. That episode aired in August 1992, so it must have been my kindergarten year. :captainpop: wowza, that's a long time again

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
missing some good ones ITT:

- Tale of the Midnight Madness: when the vampire jumps from the screen into the theater.

- Tale of the Magician's Assistant: when the kid uses the wand three times and the shop owner says "Only let them see what you want them to see" and turns into Nazareth

- Tale of the Dangerous Soup: when the guy is standing over the open casket, and his uncle suddenly comes to life and grabs his shirt

- Tale of the Unexpected Visitor: when the grunge kid hammers out a guitar riff, and then says "whoa.... eclectic riff!"

- Tale of the Night Shift: when you get the first glimpse of the green zombie that is killing people. this scene probably terrified me the most of any episode

b-minus1 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 1, 2016

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
What about the tale of the haunted sponge they found under the sink when they moved into their new house?

The plausibility just made it more scary imo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

OctoberBlues posted:

I have a really vivid memory of school starting and everyone trying to trick people with the riddle from the first episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark, but most of the kids had already seen it so it didn't work very well. That episode aired in August 1992, so it must have been my kindergarten year. :captainpop: wowza, that's a long time again

What was the riddle?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

What about the tale of the haunted sponge they found under the sink when they moved into their new house?

The plausibility just made it more scary imo

that's goosebumps, sorry bud

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Wicker Man posted:

You gotta use the acronym, AYAOTD. But it's definitely not a complete list. The arcade mall and the zeke the clown episodes aren't there.

I love the Zeke the Plumber/Zebo the Clown mix up and will totally allow it.

Whenever I see Ryan Gosling I always thing of AYAOTD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What was the riddle?

What's weightless, can be seen by the naked eye, and if put in a barrel, will make it lighter?

• Locked thread